Chick-fil-A vs Popeyes chicken sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Those waffle fries are an embarrassment to humanity. They suck.
they're great with the sauce. Red beans and rice, the only reason to go to Popeye's, might as well just drink grease instead of getting anything else.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
they're great with the sauce. Red beans and rice, the only reason to go to Popeye's, might as well just drink grease instead of getting anything else.
I agree. Both places are heart attack inducing.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
So this is it? This is where we have arrived? Arguing over whether or not one store's oil tastes better than another?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Had the Popeye’s a few weeks back before the mania kicked in. I don’t find the two all that comparable, really. Especially compared to the Spicy Deluxe I usually get from Chik-Fil-A. Both are good. Chik-Fil-A is a staple for me though and this doesn’t change that. Plus my local Chik-Fil-A can move a line of cars wrapped around the block faster than Popeye’s can move three cars...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a huge fan of Hooters fries, I'm sorry to say RWB. I mean, it's not that they are bad or anything, it's just that I ate a lot of them over the years. I have never told you this but my Oldest Daughter was a Hooters Girl. I spent a lot of time at Hooters eating fast food and trying to stop the inevitable. Finally I realized that there was no way on earth I was ever going to be able to stop the bees from the honey, if you get my drift. My Wife finally banned me from the place.

I guess I'm just a little burnt out on Hooters Brother.

But yeah, I like the McD's Fries when they are piping hot. Not quit as good as they used to be but still the best of the bigger fast food chains for me.
When that guy that started the campaign against them with full page ads in the largest newspapers accusing them of being responsible for his heart attack because they used beef tallow in the fryers which gave them that wonderful flavor, they had to change to a healthier oil. The original McDonalds fries were one of the best things I have ever eaten and I would often get a burger at Burger King or DQ and drop by to get the fries at McDonalds.

The folks at McDonald's had to wonder at what point are people responsible for their own actions and decisions? After that happened, they had to pay the woman who spilled coffee in her own lap. Prompting the warnings we see on food items like telling people who buy frozen chicken they need to cook it.

I think we just need one warning on everything. "You must have an IQ above that of an immature radish to buy and or use this product".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Had the Popeye’s a few weeks back before the mania kicked in. I don’t find the two all that comparable, really. Especially compared to the Spicy Deluxe I usually get from Chik-Fil-A. Both are good. Chik-Fil-A is a staple for me though and this doesn’t change that. Plus my local Chik-Fil-A can move a line of cars wrapped around the block faster than Popeye’s can move three cars...
They are considered the absolute best ff chain on the service side and they're manic about that with their franchisees, according the one that I knew. He said they will send in mystery shoppers more than any of the others to make sure the standards are being met.

I'd never heard of ff places getting dumped before but I've encountered two places, So. OK and where I live now in the Hill Country, that Wendy's closed them down because of cleanliness violations. This before the Chipotle fiasco, back to back.

We fool ourselves when a company gets nailed into thinking 'well, they've got to be paying attention now since they've been outed' but many are repeat offenders

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When that guy that started the campaign against them with full page ads in the largest newspapers accusing them of being responsible for his heart attack because they used beef tallow in the fryers which gave them that wonderful flavor, they had to change to a healthier oil. The original McDonalds fries were one of the best things I have ever eaten and I would often get a burger at Burger King or DQ and drop by to get the fries at McDonalds.

The folks at McDonald's had to wonder at what point are people responsible for their own actions and decisions? After that happened, they had to pay the woman who spilled coffee in her own lap. Prompting the warnings we see on food items like telling people who buy frozen chicken they need to cook it.

I think we just need one warning on everything. "You must have an IQ above that of an immature radish to buy and or use this product".
Or the guy who sued a ladder company after standing it in a pile of crap, and having it slip out from under him. I'm tellin' ya CC, I'm starting to get serious about starting a misanthropy based church. Everyone's welcome to join...just do it from your own friggin' house!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So this is it? This is where we have arrived? Arguing over whether or not one store's oil tastes better than another?
Makes a huge difference in the flavor and quality and when they need to cut expenses, some do not turn the oil enough. The KFC where I live has that rep and an employee reported that on Yelp.

I made the mistake of getting to know the Chief Health Inspector when I was in Memphis and his stories made us want to never eat out again. He gave us the list. It wa a list of places they would take themselves or their families to eat but there wasn't one of places they wouldn't. He just said it was the safe list. Luckily, our favorites were on the list.

The restaurant business is a scary one because an owner can be didligent and get done in by an employee. When I lived in Boise, there was this Mexican restaurant in Nampa and people would drive up to 50-60 miles to eat there and it had been run by the same family for 20 years. The story is that a disgruntled employee purposefully cut up raw chicken and made the quac on the same board. Over 200 people were sickened and some hospitalized and they were forced to close their business.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or the guy who sued a ladder company after standing it in a pile of crap, and having it slip out from under him. I'm tellin' ya CC, I'm starting to get serious about starting a misanthropy based church. Everyone's welcome to join...just do it from your own friggin' house!
You'd still get sued by some old lady claiming she was praying and fell off the toilet and hit her head on the bathtub and almost drowned in the water she had in there for baptizing birds and squirrels.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
They are considered the absolute best ff chain on the service side and they're manic about that with their franchisees, according the one that I knew. He said they will send in mystery shoppers more than any of the others to make sure the standards are being met.

I'd never heard of ff places getting dumped before but I've encountered two places, So. OK and where I live now in the Hill Country, that Wendy's closed them down because of cleanliness violations. This before the Chipotle fiasco, back to back.

We fool ourselves when a company gets nailed into thinking 'well, they've got to be paying attention now since they've been outed' but many are repeat offenders
They absolutely do a great job in the service area. They are consistent, they never make mistakes with the order, and as I mentioned before they are always fast no matter how long the lines are (and boy do they get long). The only time they ever got my order wrong in over a decade of visits is when they didn't upsize my fries as requested (they didn't charge me either, but technically this was an error). Other places pretty much routinely get some aspect of the order wrong.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They absolutely do a great job in the service area. They are consistent, they never make mistakes with the order, and as I mentioned before they are always fast no matter how long the lines are (and boy do they get long). The only time they ever got my order wrong in over a decade of visits is when they didn't upsize my fries as requested (they didn't charge me either, but technically this was an error). Other places pretty much routinely get some aspect of the order wrong.
Yep, sad is one who doesn't check the bag before driving off.

I did the drive through a couple of weeks ago at BK and ordered what I usually do, a Mustard Whopper. LOL, that's all it had on it. I took it inside and the manager was falling all over himself apologizing and gave me the burger, which is missing the mayo and ketchup but everything else is there on a Mustard Whopper, plus large fries and a refund for my order. I was shocked. Needless to say, that guy turned a mistake into an opportunity.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lived in New Orleans for several years in the 80s.
Popeyes was the best hangover food. Good stuff back then.
Can't say I eat at either place much now that I'm older, but there was a time and place.
:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lived in New Orleans for several years in the 80s.
Popeyes was the best hangover food. Good stuff back then.
Can't say I eat at either place much now that I'm older, but there was a time and place.
:thumbup:
Copeland just took KFC's idea of 13 herbs and spices and changed them out to fit the Louisiana palate and his timing was perfect with the emergence of wings and spicy food coming into it's own. Before Popeye's, I used to put Crystal Hot Sauce on my fried chicken.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I appreciate your open mindedness and not chick fil a fanboyism. You gave it a shot. Makes your opinion more valuable. Now, I might try the sandwich myself.

You should Dogunwo. The thing about it is if you like a crispy battered chicken filet, you will love this sandwich. I am just not a huge fan of mayo so for me, that's a negative and that's what comes with the regular sandwich. With the spicy, it's just a kind of spicy mayo I'm thinking, which is not bad but it's just not my thing. However, if you are in to both of those things, you will love this sandwich. I really like the batter on the Chik-Fil-A sandwich. Heck, I like the classic on wheat with pickles, cheese and Texas Pete Sauce. The flavor is actually in the batter and I just think it's good. Can't go wrong trying it thou. I think you might like it, the actual cut of meet is superior at Popeyes, for sure. Hopefully they continue with that and don't downsize it as they get established.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Glad ya tried it, but do you want to go a step further? :omg:

I did this yesterday.......get the sandwich with nothing else on it and get a side of brown gravy and pour over the chicken. Thank me later :laugh:

Nope, I'd rather do that with my own gravy and over biscuits in the morning. I will tell you what I do, do thou. I will go to KFC on Tuesdays and buy a couple of Chicken Fried Steaks with Gravy, mashed potatoes and a veggie or fries for two bucks. That's a deal for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.