Chido is all hype

TheHerd

Reaction score
Garbage take, my man.

Why? OScan was always on the receiver, and most QBs wouldn't throw it due to the coverage. But eventually I think the better ones figured out just it anyway because Oscar had no balls skills and most WRs do.

Chido is getting the same treatment, and will continue until he makes some plays on the ball.

In the plus side, dude has been flat out mirroring the WR.

blueblood70

Reaction score
not seeing it with 24. Dude was beaten like a drum all day long.
Im sorry late in the game he got beat few times but for 3 quarters I saw a guy flat blanketing his man and Stafford dropping dimes, those balls couldn't have been walked over and handed to guys better..I think Awuzie had to be shocked with him in the receivers hip pocket the QB dare throw it to them..he needs to turn for the ball more but his coverage skills are more then good he locks down receivers better than any guy we've had in long long time.. he just needs to look for the ball more even if he feels hes got his guy locked down..i couldn't believe how those passes were thrown and caught with no space at all..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not concerned at all about Chido, some of those catches were too good.
the throws were aaron rogers like, you cant do much as a corner when are riding the hip of th wr and the ball just falls in his hands..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, Heath was correct to get the runner to go between him and the sideline. It was his only chance.

It would have been his only chance if he were the only defensive player on the field, but there were other Cowboys running from the middle of the field toward the play, and forcing the receiver back to the middle of the field would have given them a chance to help with the tackle. The way he played it he was alone on an island.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would have been his only chance if he were the only defensive player on the field, but there were other Cowboys running from the middle of the field toward the play, and forcing the receiver back to the middle of the field would have given them a chance to help with the tackle. The way he played it he was alone on an island.

No, the other defensive players were not deep enough to help. I just reviewed it on the All-22.

I've said before that I wish I had a simulator that would show what-if scenarios using real video as the baseline (i.e. What-if Tate had gone outside).

His only real mistake was that he needed to be about 6 inches closer to the sideline when he broke-down to wait for Tate to commit inside/outside.

The fail on that play was by the CB. The CB has to at least slow down the WR even if he allows the catch.

In the Kris Richard base coverage and most variations, a CB is responsible for the area near the sideline regardless of depth. It is a vulnerable spot in the KR scheme. If the WR is between a CB and the sideline, the general expectation in the KR scheme is that that CB can handle the coverage without help in that area near the sideline (i.e. Worst case expectation is that the WR catches the ball and is pushed out of bounds or cuts back inside at the point if the catch. The one thing the CB can't do is allow the WR to run down the sideline after the catch).

glimmerman

Reaction score
Chido did everything but get a penalty. He couldn’t have covered much better. Brown on the other hand. And Lewis got 1 snap and look what happened. Heath fell on his face. Twice I think. The secondary will have some splaining to do this week. The ole film room will not be a quiet place with Richard in there.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chido did everything but get a penalty. He couldn’t have covered much better. Brown on the other hand. And Lewis got 1 snap and look what happened. Heath fell on his face. Twice I think. The secondary will have some splaining to do this week. The ole film room will not be a quiet place with Richard in there.

Overall the secondary has played very well, but there have been a few glaring mistakes the last few weeks where an opposing receiver was left alone for a big play. All it takes is a few of those to undermine the overall effort of the defense, so that has to be fixed. Hopefully Richard can do that.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Overall the secondary has played very well, but there have been a few glaring mistakes the last few weeks where an opposing receiver was left alone for a big play. All it takes is a few of those to undermine the overall effort of the defense, so that has to be fixed. Hopefully Richard can do that.
I think he will. They seem to like playing for him. First 4 games of likely a different scheme or philosophy for the secondary. I have noticed that some of our CBs weren’t contacting the receivers off the line. Giving a free release.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I think Chido will be solid but never great. Still recall the two games I watched him n college. Against John Ross and Washington and James Washington and OK State. They both ate him up all game long. He looked like a high schooler compared to those two guys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why? OScan was always on the receiver, and most QBs wouldn't throw it due to the coverage. But eventually I think the better ones figured out just it anyway because Oscar had no balls skills and most WRs do.

Chido is getting the same treatment, and will continue until he makes some plays on the ball.

In the plus side, dude has been flat out mirroring the WR.

Scandrick's coverage was not as tight as Awuzie's.

Scandrick would often close the gap when the ball was in the air making it appear to be tight coverage at the point the ball arrived; however, QBs had room for error against him.

The Lions had several catches where if the ball had been 3 inches off in any direction, it would not have been a catch.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I agree. I think we should sign an FS and draft one within the first 3 rounds.

Like the idea of getting an FA ... this team needs to draft a TE, another O-lineman and I'd draft a QB if one is available. I'd prefer JG gone after the season.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Like the idea of getting an FA ... this team needs to draft a TE, another O-lineman and I'd draft a QB if one is available. I'd prefer JG gone after the season.

I want Garrett gone as well. As for the drafting and FA, I say that because it might take some time to get the young FS up to speed, so a FA FS would be a good way to buy the safety time, unless we decide to let the FA be the bandaid until the following year. Either way, we have enough cap space to where we can sign FAs to fill in the gaps that the draft may not solve which is what I've been wanting.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Chidobe Awuzie hasn't met expectations.
Although one of the most discussed Cowboys' defensive backs is Jourdan Lewis and the reason he hasn't seen any playing time, I wonder if we should also be concerned about the other sophomore, Chidobe Awuzie. Byron Jones has stolen the show at CB, basically erasing his side of the field for opposing offenses, but the same hasn't been the case for #24.

According to Pro Football Focus, Awuzie allowed eight receptions in 11 targets for 138 yards and one touchdown. This stats don't tell the entire story, but he certainly needs to improve or Cowboys Nation will start having flashbacks of the 2017 version of Anthony Brown.

https://insidethestar.com/takeaway-tuesday-cb-awuzie-hasnt-met-expectations-in-2018/