Chris Carter On Randy Gregory

Sydla

Reaction score
And to show you how flawed hurry/pressure stats can be, Fox Sports states that he never had a QB hurry or pressure in 2016.

But this article would tell you that's wrong. They even have a picture of Gregory pressuring Stafford and forcing a throw as he wraps him up and brings him to the ground. If that's not a hurry or pressure, then what is?

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...owed-vs-det-and-what-to-expect-going-forward/

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey it is just my opinion. Never said I was perfect. If I wanted to cheer for people getting their life together I would watch reality TV. I follow the Cowboys for the football and Randy the weed head is just noise.

Reality TV sucks, but that is JMO...:laugh:...oh, and Twitter and Facebook also...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Yep.

We can go back and pull your original post if you want. Nowhere did you talk about time away from football. You clearly said you didn't care if he made the team because he showed you zero in his first 14 games:

Bull.......I always was talking about his career ........ just showed we are not missing anything from his mediocre stats.

This is far from the firs thread that I have argued this point in.

And foxsports stats are accurate.

aikemirv

Reaction score
This exactly he never committed a crime against another person. I mean in 2018 how many people actually haven't smoked weed. I'm more of a drinker but I still smoke every now and again.
Why do laws matter anyway, right?

A drunk driver who never hit anybody never committed a crime against another person either!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
His real crime is he's as stupid as a rock. He is told ahead of time he will be tested. And he fails. How many times did he fail before the suspensions? 4 ? 5? It's not like pot is an addiction. He's an idiot. You can't fix idiocy. It's a permanent condition. He will relapse. It's not a question of will he, it's when will he. Which makes him totally undependable. What kind of a message do you send to the RKOG's if you let him slide?

Nice knowing ya, send my best to Rolando.

I don't think he is stupid. I just don't feel like he cared enough about football to not do it.

He came into the whole process admitting he had a problem. If I remember right he told teams he had a problem so the test just validated what he told them really.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Financially, Gregory is a bargain. I hope he gets a chance to earn a roster spot. There's really nothing to lose at this point.
But there in lies the problem. I like to call it the "Chaz Green" conundrum. Gregory could hang around. He may even start making the roster. Then he gets starts getting snaps. Over the season we lose 2 DEs to injury. Now all of a sudden we are actually counting on him to play significant time and carry us through for a while. Boom drug suspension. Thanks for nothing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know which is better or even worth where they were picked but Gregory couldn't play and Charleton didn't play much and I am hoping one of them works out to be at least a situational pass rusher that can affect plays because Lawrence will, most likely, be gone next season unless they extend him and he wants All Pro DE money.

Irving is a wild card, Tapper is a booboo magnet and Gregory and Charleton are unknowns at this time. That middle of the DL still looks vulnerable to me and this is going to be dicey with depth and run D. And Saints preserve us when Lee is out.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bull.......I always was talking about his career ........ just showed we are not missing anything from his mediocre stats.

This is far from the firs thread that I have argued this point in.

And foxsports stats are accurate.

What we are missing from Gregory is not anything he could've provided his first few years but what we will miss or could've missed now because of his suspensions.

We weren't missing anything from Demarcus Lawrence either and then last year happened.

If you look at a lot of pass rushers first 2 or 3 years they are nothing special and then they usually just blow up.

Gregory's growth has surely been stunted and who knows if he will or would have ever been worth this headache.

If Marinelli believes in the talent then I have to concede to him. He may be a outdated D Coordinator but he knows his dlineman.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I don't think he is stupid. I just don't feel like he cared enough about football to not do it.

He came into the whole process admitting he had a problem. If I remember right he told teams he had a problem so the test just validated what he told them really.

He said that the team that drafted him would never have to worry about him off the field .........

Jumbo075

Reaction score
What worries me most is that all this time and effort has been put into Gregory................ Only to have him turn out to be a JAG. Something that could very EASILY happen btw considering how much time he has missed. I was never really all that impressed with him as a player in the first place let alone how rusty he will be now. I dunno,.... hope for the best I guess but sure arent counting on much.

What effort. The guy hasn't been around for two seasons. Don't get your panties in a wad over something that didn't happen. Gregory hasn't been around to be a distraction or require a lot of work. In the heat of every day events, the Cowboys hardly even think about him.

I look at it like a young woman going on maternity leave. You don't think about missing her while she's gone, because you're too busy doing your job. Your just happy when she gets back to work to pick up her part ot the load again. I expect the Cowboys have approached the absence of Gregory similarly. Out of sight, out of mind. When he comes back, he'll be welcomed with open arms, and everyone will be pulling for him. If he never comes back, oh well.

It's just the reality of how we deal with things. I don't know why fans think that just because the media asks questions, it actually affects how the team operates. The simple fact is almost the only time and effort the Cowboys have put into Gregory the last two seasons is answering media questions. That may seem like a big deal to fans, but it's just a regular part of the job for players and coaches. If the media weren't asking about Gregory, they'd be asking about something else, so it takes no more effort to answer Gregory related questions than questions on other topics. Those interviews reveal a whole lot more about the focus of the media than the focus of the team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He said that the team that drafted him would never have to worry about him off the field .........

Yeah. I equate that to a kid telling the parents they will feed the dog and it ends up being the parents who do it,

His words mean next to nothing at this point but at least his actions are supposedly positive.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
If Marinelli believes in the talent then I have to concede to him. He may be a outdated D Coordinator but he knows his dlineman.

Could not disagree with this more ........ I do not trust Marinelli on anything about defense.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Great point. Think about the state of things in American culture today- more is expected from an athlete than elected leaders. It’s a strange world we occupy.

Depends on your culture. There is no single American culture any more. The culture I live in expects very little from athletes AND politicians. LOL

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Could not disagree with this more ........ I do not trust Marinelli on anything about defense.

Not even coaching the D Line? I think that is where he excels.

As a defensive coordinator though i'm not a fan. He's just another coach that needs all world talent.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Yeah. I equate that to a kid telling the parents they will feed the dog and it ends up being the parents who do it

Not me ........ he was not a kid, he was an adult who stood on a podium and lied in the faces of everyone who was counting on him.

And since that time he has recorded one sack and only played in 14 out of 50 games.

Until I see him in uniform playing for multiple years I will put no stock in him playing.

The minute he does that I will admit I was wrong and be his biggest fan and will repeat his feel good story to everyone who will listen.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Not even coaching the D Line? I think that is where he excels.

As a defensive coordinator though i'm not a fan. He's just another coach that needs all world talent.

I trust him as about as much as I trust Garrett

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I have no dislike for him ........ the fact is he showed less in 14 games than Taco did.
The fact that you keep calling him a 4-year vet, when he's a 3-year vet who hasn't started his 4th year yet, says otherwise.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He has already proven to miss time and come back and produce. He missed the first 15 weeks of the last season he played. In the final two games he posted 9 tackles and got his first sack. It's possible he fades out, Gordon still produced as well when he came back
I understand the precedent is there to give us hope. I'm wishing him the best luck.