Chris Johnson new youtube

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm pretty much with theo. I've never seen any evidence that this guy would be a great RB other than 40 times and youtube highlights -- and those are usually of returns, not runs from scrimmage. He's under 200 lbs and I don't think can run inside at all -- very one-dimensional.

He might be good, but he might be a total bust, too.

TVMan

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;1972880 said:
not re has over 2500 all purpose yards the next season no means nothing and your exxadrating a bit on the injury how come he isn't one of your injury risk?

Because I have used the maximum space allowed for the sig.

So, having neck surgery of any kind is no big deal then? Especially playing in the NFL?

I wouldn't call it exaggeration. I would call it cautionary.

Necks can only be fixed so many times. Ask Moose and others.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
He has more shiftiness than you think. When you burst through holes as fast as he does you are already getting the defenders to change their direction. He has a whole training camp and then some to "improve" his change of direction.

Even though hes nothing like a MB3 power-wise, he does have enough to be like a Westbrook but not as tough as a runner as him. He would fit well with the Boys' in my opinion.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1972885 said:
I'm pretty much with theo. I've never seen any evidence that this guy would be a great RB other than 40 times and youtube highlights -- and those are usually of returns, not runs from scrimmage. He's under 200 lbs and I don't think can run inside at all -- very one-dimensional.

He might be good, but he might be a total bust, too.

you wrong the higlights are from him running from scrimmage atleast the ones i saw are and he is right around 200 lbs at 197 but hey you are right he isn't 200 lbs.

Can you look at the kids stats please

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
air0208;1972891 said:
He has more shiftiness than you think. When you burst through holes as fast as he does you are already getting the defenders to change their direction.
That's not shiftiness.

He has a whole training camp and then some to "improve" his change of direction.
I'd rather not rely on someone having to learn something so basic to the position.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
theogt;1972902 said:
That's not shiftiness.

I'd rather not rely on someone having to learn something so basic to the position.

He definitely has more "shiftiness" than you are giving him credit for. Thats for sure.

What exactly are you looking for, more spins, head & shoulders fakes? Or what?

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
theogt;1972861 said:
I don't want a "situational" guy to backup Barber. I want a guy that could also step in and carry 25 times a game. I don't see the point in drafting backs that are limited. I like complete players. We've already got a player with great straight ahead speed but no cutting ability on the team -- Tyson Thompson.

This guy has cutback ability.. and give him a chance before you compare him to Tyson Thompson:laugh2:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
TVMan;1972909 said:
He had one good year. One.

He was proggesing from freshman to sophmore and then was set back with injuries his JR year and throw all the questions about his health away his senior season. 35 catches 500+ receiving yards to turn a blind eye to that is foolish. Avg 200 all purpose yards a game.

theogt;1972861 said:
I don't want a "situational" guy to backup Barber. I want a guy that could also step in and carry 25 times a game. I don't see the point in drafting backs that are limited. I like complete players. We've already got a player with great straight ahead speed but no cutting ability on the team -- Tyson Thompson.

Your so misguided its not even funny.
1 barber can't carry it 25 a game and you expect a rookie 2
2 If being able to run and catch out the back field and return kicks is limited then your right. Oh yea he can line up at WR also.
3 I don't see MB3 juking people out of their cleats.

TVMan

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;1972973 said:
He was proggesing from freshman to sophmore and then was set back with injuries his JR year and throw all the questions about his health away his senior season. 35 catches 500+ receiving yards to turn a blind eye to that is foolish. Avg 200 all purpose yards a game.

2004...561 yards
2005...684 yards
2006...314 yards
2007...1423 yards

That injury was what? A neck?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
TVMan;1972999 said:
2004...561 yards
2005...684 yards
2006...314 yards
2007...1423 yards

That injury was what? A neck?

ok i hope the Commanders draft and he destroys us the way Randy moss does when we passed on him

TVMan

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;1973007 said:
ok i hope the Commanders draft and he destroys us the way Randy moss does when we passed on him

They'd be pretty stupid to take him that high in round one.;)
But, it is the Commanders.

ethiostar

Reaction score

:rolleyes:

Why would you hope for something like that?

SMCowboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;1972973 said:
Your so misguided its not even funny.
1 barber can't carry it 25 a game and you expect a rookie 2
2 If being able to run and catch out the back field and return kicks is limited then your right. Oh yea he can line up at WR also.
3 I don't see MB3 juking people out of their cleats.

One of the things that Marion Barber does best, is his cutting ability and ability to move from size to side.

Judging strictly from those highlight videos of Chris Johnson, he never made a single person miss in any of those films, all he did was run threw holes, run by defenders who took poor angles, and ran threw poor tackles. A good RB in the NFL has to be able to plant and make people miss.

Another thing I noticed that bothered me watching the film a second time, he didn't seem to do much of setting up block or waiting for holes to develop, he was running full speed the second he had the ball every time. In the NFL that will not get it done, you have to set up blocks and be patient and wait for holes to develop.

marchetta

Reaction score
theogt;1972835 said:
He has no shiftiness to him whatsoever. Despite his other eye-popping straight ahead numbers, he wasn't even in the top 10 in the 3-cone for running backs. This guys will bust so hard. You don't get far running straight forward in the NFL as a running back.

I know exactly what you're seeing and talking about. He lacks true lateral agility. Lateral agility is the ability to "slide" around laterally, w/o having to redirect your momentum. He's very fast, but he runs in straight-line bursts. If you watch him, he runs under control and when he needs to move laterally he turns his lower torso and then he bursts. This works well in college because of his speed, however it will be less effective in the NFL. It's far more desirable to have a RB whose able to move laterally while keeping his shoulder's parallel, while "sliding" laterally. If you want to watch it done to perfection, just pull up any Ray Rice video on Youtube. RR does it to absolute perfection. Just watch RR's style and compare it to CJ's. When RR dodges defenders laterally he just slides w/o losing momentum, while CJ will turn his torso, redirect his momentum, and burst. This is why CJ's 3 cone drill time was so poor. He just doesn't re-direct naturally and effectively. Turning your torso to redirect takes longer, and in the NFL that won't fly. Unfortunately, this is a skill you can't learn. It instinctive. Ray Rice has it and CJ doesn't.

BTW, any scout or analyst worth his salt will tell you a NFL RB's lateral agility is far more important than his speed. Speed is overrated for a NFL RB, so don't be so enamored with CJ's speed that you overlook this major flaw.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
SMCowboy;1973029 said:
One of the things that Marion Barber does best, is his cutting ability and ability to move from size to side.

Judging strictly from those highlight videos of Chris Johnson, he never made a single person miss in any of those films, all he did was run threw holes, run by defenders who took poor angles, and ran threw poor tackles. A good RB in the NFL has to be able to plant and make people miss.

Another thing I noticed that bothered me watching the film a second time, he didn't seem to do much of setting up block or waiting for holes to develop, he was running full speed the second he had the ball every time. In the NFL that will not get it done, you have to set up blocks and be patient and wait for holes to develop.

Waiting for holes to develop is a problem for every rookie running back. It's not that they took bad angels it's just his speed is so great that he makes them look. It doesn't matter if you run the perfect pursuit angel if the guy is faster than you he will out run and make you look as if you took a bad angel.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

Maybe a mod can help you with that name change to DaChrisJ4Life.