Chris Johnson new youtube

ayjackson

Reaction score
As a running back, Johnson reminds me of Tatum Bell. He can he a hole quickly and is a threat to take it to the house every time. He's not an eveydown back or even a twenty carry back in this league and therefore should not be taken in the first round.

Where he really excites me though is on punt returns. He looks like he could be special - he seems to set up his blockers well and induces poor tackling angles because of his bursts and his top end speed. He should make it to the end of the second, if we're interested there.

Little Jr

Reaction score
marchetta;1973033 said:
This is why CJ's 3 cone drill time was so poor.

He did not run the drill. Amazing how so many people can watch the same video and come out with totally differnt opinions.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Little Jr;1973077 said:
He did not run the drill. Amazing how so many people can watch the same video and come out with totally differnt opinions.
In all honesty, I just can't see how any person could reasonably come away from that video thinking he's a "shifty" back at all. I mean, sometimes people exaggerate for the purpose of emphasizing my point, but that just isn't the case here.

J-DOG

Reaction score
theogt;1972840 said:
He's simply not able to plant his foot and change direction that well. Any time he tries he looks awkward and almost loses his balance. His 40 time will get him into the 2nd round, but he's not worth a pick in the top 4 rounds in my opinion.
Did that link not work for you...if it did then you need glasses.
Chris Johnson would be exactly perfect for our team.
He would back up Barber and return kicks..both kickoffs and punts.
He would definetly be an upgrade over our current punt returner.

Little Jr

Reaction score
theogt;1973081 said:
In all honesty, I just can't see how any person could reasonably come away from that video thinking he's a "shifty" back at all. I mean, sometimes people exaggerate for the purpose of emphasizing my point, but that just isn't the case here.

I wasnt trying to say you were were wrong or talk crap. I do disagree with you though on this subject. LOL!! I just think it's amazing people see things so different. Not just this subject but any. I guess people just see in different ways. Again not trying to call you out just making an observation. I've been wrong before. In fact quite a bit. LOL!! I remembering being impressed with JJ video and that got us 3 yards a carry.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Little Jr;1973101 said:
I wasnt trying to say you were were wrong or talk crap. I do disagree with you though on this subject. LOL!! I just think it's amazing people see things so different. Not just this subject but any. I guess people just see in different ways. Again not trying to call you out just making an observation. I've been wrong before. In fact quite a bit. LOL!! I remembering being impressed with JJ video and that got us 3 yards a carry.
Well, maybe we don't disagree on what we're seeing. If you think that his speed makes up for a lack of shiftiness, but you agree that there's a lack of shiftiness, then we're not disagreeing on what we see. In that case, we're just disagreeing on our philosophy about running backs, which is another discussion.

JPTEXAS

Reaction score
Devin Hester does play full time either..he is a game changing threat.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I've watched it several times and I have to agree with Marchetta regarding his "cuts". CJ looks like a 1 cut RB; that is, his first cut will be fine because he hasn't gotten up to full speed yet, but once he has he just isn't going to cut so much as he will turn or lean into a "cut". It's just hard to say by looking at this highlight video.

He might be fine in the NFL, but I just don't see cutting ability to the same extent as some of the other backs. Maybe his speed will make up for some of it though.

slick325

Reaction score
I hope he is available in the 2nd and Dallas grabs him! The type of speed and big play ability he brings to the game would be unreal in the Dallas offense. All last year and even this offseason everyone has complained about the lack of speed our offense had due to Terry Glenn's absence and yet there are people who viewed these highlights and aren't doing backflips over what he could bring to an offense? Interesting.

I like Chris Johnson because of his versatility. He is a dynamic/catalytic player that can return kickoffs, catch the ball out of the backfield and run the ball effectively. All Dallas needs from him are 15-18 offensive touches and he will be a great addition to the offense.

He reminds me of Brian Westbrook. Westbrook was dynamic at DeMatha H.S. in the DC metro area and was seen as too small or just relying on his speed, thus schools stayed away except Nova. He went there and was effective yet NFL teams said the same thing about him. Philly understood that he needs to touch the ball around 15-20 times and he can be dangerous. He returned punts, kickoffs, caught screens and ran the ball. In case we forgot he has grown into a good everydown back despite his size and was the 3rd leading rusher in the league last season.

If Dallas uses Chris Johnson the same way this offense will be deadly. He doesn't need to carry the ball 25 times to make a difference plus MBIII will be here to get his 17-20 touches sparring the smaller Johnson from taking too many hits.

Imagine him one on one with a LB or SS out of the backfield!!! It'll leave other teams fans feeling how we do when we see Ware, Ellis, Brady or Roy Williams on Brian Westbrook.

If available Jerry should grab him. He will be a multi-purpose weapon.

superpunk

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1973119 said:
I've watched it several times and I have to agree with Marchetta regarding his "cuts". CJ looks like a 1 cut RB; that is, his first cut will be fine because he hasn't gotten up to full speed yet, but once he has he just isn't going to cut so much as he will turn or lean into a "cut". It's just hard to say by looking at this highlight video.

He might be fine in the NFL, but I just don't see cutting ability to the same extent as some of the other backs. Maybe his speed will make up for some of it though.

I agree completely. He'd be like a tiny, fast Larry Johnson. Michael Turner runs the same way. Ryan Grant from what I've seen. You can be an effective back like that, no reason to think he can't. He's too fast to have moves on top of moves, probably. Send him to a team that runs the stretch alot (Washington, Indy, Green Bay) and he'll have a nice career, I think.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1973129 said:
I agree completely. He'd be like a tiny, fast Larry Johnson. Michael Turner runs the same way. Ryan Grant from what I've seen. You can be an effective back like that, no reason to think he can't. He's too fast to have moves on top of moves, probably. Send him to a team that runs the stretch alot (Washington, Indy, Green Bay) and he'll have a nice career, I think.
Johnson, Grant, or even Peterson would be great comparisons if he were anywhere near their size and strength.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1973140 said:
Johnson, Grant, or even Peterson would be great comparisons if he were anywhere near their size and strength.

I don't know how much smaller he is, but none of them have his speed - so there's a tradeoff.

*** is Peterson doing in your list of comparable running styles?

CPonder14

Reaction score
I disagree with THEOGT.

Go look at 1:03, he sure does look to cut back, and 2 seconds later uses a spin move.

Go look at 2:05 he sure does look to make a juke on a defender, and 1 second later makes another guy miss.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1973145 said:
I don't know how much smaller he is, but none of them have his speed - so there's a tradeoff.

*** is Peterson doing in your list of comparable running styles?
Peterson is a one cut and barrel straight ahead type runner. He's so big and powerful (and fast) that he can do that. It's extremely similar to what Grant does. But all of those guys have one thing in common -- an arm tackle isn't going to bring them down.

Dcz84

Reaction score
theogt;1972835 said:
He has no shiftiness to him whatsoever. Despite his other eye-popping straight ahead numbers, he wasn't even in the top 10 in the 3-cone for running backs. This guys will bust so hard. You don't get far running straight forward in the NFL as a running back.
Well Mr. anit got no swiftness would off scored atleast 4-5 TD's as a return man for Dallas last year. How many times did we see our return men get tackled by the kicker, wont happen with this guy. We need a change of pace guy a guy how can catch a swing pass and cut it right up the field and go no fancy dancing get the rock and go.IDK i watched the video 5x's and i cant figure out how you came to the conclusion he has no swiftness.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
CPonder14;1973156 said:
I disagree with THEOGT.

Go look at 1:03, he sure does look to cut back, and 2 seconds later uses a spin move.

Go look at 2:05 he sure does look to make a juke on a defender, and 1 second later makes another guy miss.

The first one demonstrates he is at least a one cut back.

The second doesn't show enough. You can't tell if he just caught the ball, had only taken a few steps after being handed the ball or even if he was trying to turn the corner and wasn't up to full speed yet.

From what I have seen, he doesn't have sudden cuts at full speed. He almost runs like a taller back but he is just 5"11". Jamaal Charles who is tall and skinny seems to have better cuts and even his are poor. For a shorter back I would expect CJ to cut better, but like I said maybe his speed will cover it up. Heck, if he has good vision it might be enough to make up for the lack of suddeness.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CPonder14;1973156 said:
That's not a cut and change of direction. He simply plants his foot to stop his forward momentum, waits for the block to finish, then runs forward.

There's no cut and change of direction there either. He simply "cuts" up field.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1973168 said:
Peterson is a one cut and barrel straight ahead type runner. He's so big and powerful (and fast) that he can do that.

He has alot more bounce than any of the other one-cut backs.

It's extremely similar to what Grant does. But all of those guys have one thing in common -- an arm tackle isn't going to bring them down.

Johnson showed some power in those clips. But he is probably too small (and not thick enough in the bottom half) to display that in the NFL.

If we addressed WR and CB in the first and drafted him in the second to get 8-10 carries and a few receptions and returns per game, I think I'd be thrilled.