Video: Chris Simms: Dak is not Top 5

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Is Lamar a.top 5 quarterback or just the best athlete on the field? His quarterback skills are lacking.
It depends on how you value quarterback. Its like Christian McCaffery. When I judge him as a running back do I eliminate what he does in the passing game to? Because I do then I can think of 4 other guys I'd rather have. But I don't. McCaffery is considered the best running back in football and a big part of that is what he does in the passing game.

Same argument for Lamar. He makes plays at the quarterback position. If he want to judge him basked on his QB skills then I'd have him lower on my list.

Not completely sold on Lamar right now. Love the guy in EXACTLY the offense he is running. But not sure about being in a typical offense without the perfect personnel for what he does around him.

He is helped by immensely great coaching. Belli type coaching.
Aye....I'm not sold on Lamar AT ALL. I love watching him play and I root for him because people wrote him off before he even stood on the field. HE's a "running back". But I can't sit here and say the MVP of the league isn't top 5 right now. Just can't.

I think there would be a debate if Rodgers and Brees are top five at this point in their careers. They certainly aren’t carrying teams by themselves anymore.
There's a debate there for sure. But I'd also say that I don't think even Pat Mahomes is carrying his team by himself. There's a argument for Tom Brady last year but then the O struggled when he was asked to do it himself. And that's with the best defense in the league and Bellichek.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Based on QBR.......he's making plays?

Nah.. I watch the games.. No need for numbers..

He makes plays on weak teams like NYG, Wsh, Miami.. He had no problem inflating his numbers on them.

Then when we play teams with winning records we go 2-7 and he only throws 11 of his 30 TDs in those 9 games.

I want Dak to step up in big games.

Nothing against the Saints, Bills on Thanksgiving, Patriots, Philly for the division..

Yuck, Yuck, and yuck.

Dak needs a lot of greatness around him and I’ll just pass on a caretaker that needs everyone elite around him..

Only managing 1 playoff win in 4 years is not getting anything accomplished and I would not pay that.. Big contracts do not make things easier and he would be a waste of money.

I’d rather play Dalton and spend the saved money on the team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

He makes plays on weak teams like NYG, Wsh, Miami.. He had no problem inflating his numbers on them.

Then when we play teams with winning records we go 2-7 and he only throws 11 of his 30 TDs in those 9 games.

Nothing against the Saints, Bills on Thanksgiving, Patriots, Philly for the division..

Yuck, Yuck, and yuck.

Dak needs a lot of greatness around him and I’ll just pass on a caretaker that needs everyone elite around him..

Only managing 1 playoff win in 4 years is not getting anything accomplished and I would not pay that.. Big contracts do not make things easier and he would be a waste of money.

So you'd prefer he make plays against the good teams and against the bad teams he sucks?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with saying he is 6-9.

He most certainly isn't Pat nor Russ.
After those 2 you have some war horses who earned the rating and respect over 7+ years.

Around 5-9 you are slotting guys based on arguments but they are pretty equal and that list could change year over year.
Lamar wouldn't have been on their 2 years ago but certainly deserved it last year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The playoff game was telling against the Titans. He still has the same issue he had against the Chargers. Make him beat you with his arm and play him like a running back.

One game never defines a guy for me. Titans was a big matchup problem for them. Titans could grind out the run just like them and had a good defense. Get up on the Titans, take away the run game and force them to throw.

Lamar is only in his 2nd year. He will get better at passing the ball and they will get more weapons.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
sorry but that statement alone shows how far out of touch you are with reality.
How is this for reality?

Based on last year's QBR among the highest paid in the league, Dak definitely deserves a big contract and arguably to be highest paid (instead of 7th) of this group.

Wake up, Sunshine.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And yet Dak thinks he should be paid more than all 6 of them......
That is true but that is where they are right now. What if any of those top 5 was up along with Prescott right now? Think his agent would be pricing him at Mahomes, Rodgers or Wilson money right now?

The market is being set by the QB up and as long as he'd perceived to be in the top 10 ranking, that will be the next big deal. Prescott will set the new ceiling short term as well as the new floor for other QB's perceived to be better QB's.

They will continue to push the ceiling up as long as these owners are fearful of losing their QB. It has really been irresponsible of them to allow the QB's to absorb even more cap % with an increasing cap.

The agents for those top 5 QB's are just waiting for the Prescott deal to set the floor and don't be surprised if Rodgers and Wilson get bumped when Prescott is making more than they are and the relationship between Packers' management and Rodgers has to be really frosty right now because both of those QB's are known as team lifters. Prescott? Not so much.

And I wouldn't be surprised if part of the hold up on this deal isn't some fellow owners in Booger's ear because he's about to set a new floor by making a QB that isn't top 5 the highest paid. And he's not shy about making his DE, RB and WR the highest paid as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Still not worth the money.

Dak is nothing special. Just an offensive caretaker that wants elite money.. No thanks.

Give playmakers big money.

Yah, that's what you said the first 3 years and we told you it was a mistake and that you were wrong.

Dak proved that last year when he threw for nearly 5000 yards and 33 total TD's. Dak can ball, throw deep, use his legs, he can do it all.

The problem for you is that you cant admit you were wrong.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yuck, Yuck, and yuck.

Nonsense, you have been proven wrong again. As usual, you cherry pick selective instances. Dak has led the NFL in last drive wins since he has been in the NFL. He just didn't happen to do it much last year.

Dak has also played well in all 3 playoff games.

Your claim, as usually is selective and inaccurate. Agenda driven.

Against winning teams, Dak's Cowboys win 43% of the time, which is elite compared to other current QB's.

Dak's Cowboys are 40-24 in games he has started. Cowboys are 4-3 with Dak playing and Zeke NOT playing.

All these cherry picking stats you throw out get blown out of the water.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Your rant would make sense if Dak was somehow responsible for setting the price on the QB market. He isn’t asking anything that other QBs of his caliber - see Wentz and Goff have gotten. And remember both those guys weren’t playing the first years in the league at a discount price and at no point in Daks career was anyone questioning his health or ability to play the position.

His agent is definitely responsible for exactly that. They are trying to reset the market. Dak hired CAA so, in effect, Dak is responsible for trying to set the price on the QB market exactly.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
How is this for reality?

Based on last year's QBR among the highest paid in the league, Dak definitely deserves a big contract and arguably to be highest paid (instead of 7th) of this group.

Wake up, Sunshine.

You mean the reality where you said you would take Dak over Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers? If you want to admit that you got carried away, fine. Otherwise, just stop trying to explain that away. Impossible task.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That is true but that is where they are right now. What if any of those top 5 was up along with Prescott right now? Think his agent would be pricing him at Mahomes, Rodgers or Wilson money right now?

The market is being set by the QB up and as long as he'd perceived to be in the top 10 ranking, that will be the next big deal. Prescott will set the new ceiling short term as well as the new floor for other QB's perceived to be better QB's.

They will continue to push the ceiling up as long as these owners are fearful of losing their QB. It has really been irresponsible of them to allow the QB's to absorb even more cap % with an increasing cap.

The agents for those top 5 QB's are just waiting for the Prescott deal to set the floor and don't be surprised if Rodgers and Wilson get bumped when Prescott is making more than they are and the relationship between Packers' management and Rodgers has to be really frosty right now because both of those QB's are known as team lifters. Prescott? Not so much.

And I wouldn't be surprised if part of the hold up on this deal isn't some fellow owners in Booger's ear because he's about to set a new floor by making a QB that isn't top 5 the highest paid. And he's not shy about making his DE, RB and WR the highest paid as well.
Yup. Each next guy in line will just make more.
It's the way the system is designed.
As the cap rises each deal for QBs will also rise.

There may be a 1 year draw down but even if there is I doubt it effects Pat Mahomes getting paid 40m AAV.
Lamar and Watson will both surpass Dak as well.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Still not worth the money.

Dak is nothing special. Just an offensive caretaker that wants elite money.. No thanks.

Give playmakers big money.
How many quarterbacks are playmakers? And please name them. Beside Mahomes, Brees and Wilson. Who is a full package playmaker left? Dak is way better then a caretaker. Ask Tony Romo...And Dak if he can learn to throw just a dad better would be a playmaker if he's not nearly one already. You haven't seen some of his games obviously.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think this thread could've been titled
"Chris Simms thinks Dak is a Top 9 QB"

For some reason, it was worded negatively instead of the very positive assessment by Simms.