Video: Chris Simms Unbuttoned. Explains issues with our simple scheme on defense

starfan1

Reaction score
I find him the same as all or most others fairly knowledgeable extremely opinionated but he’s partially on point here

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Basically what we've been saying about our defense and pretty much JG's overall philosophy. Believing simple scheme and talent and out hustling the opponent will beat everyone.

Totally right about Marinelli. His philosophy is having a simple defense, whose simplicity allows our defense to out execute the other team. His philosophy is "blame the players for not winning with my simple scheme."

Much like Garrett's "next man up", and "we do what we do", it's a philosophy that absolves the coaches of contributing anything to a win, particularly on game day.

Both simply don't understand the value of creating confusion in the opponent, and therefore their *responsibility* to create that confusion. They are responsible for nothing. "We need to execute better" means "the *players* need to execute better, not the *coaches*". The coaches have nothing to do on game day but clap and exhort the team to try harder.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Elk probably had his Richard footy pajamas on last season, now he's coaching a simple scheme

No I'm not, but I can see that these players we thought were HOFers aren't playing well.

It could be that they aren't in the best position to play well.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
The number 1 stay for defense is points allowed.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/opp.htm
Stats can be misleading. If your offense holds the ball, the opponent gets fewer possessions. If your defense gives up first down after first down, but not the big play, in the end the won't give up as many points. But it can also have a negative effect on your offense if the defense can't get off the field and give them more possessions.

Our defense is notorious for allowing opponents to march down the field with ease if they are willing to take the open underneath stuff over and over. This is part of the reason why our defense normally needs a penalty or a sack in order to force a punt.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Basically what we've been saying about our defense and pretty much JG's overall philosophy. Believing simple scheme and talent and out hustling the opponent will beat everyone.

Wait, someone else is saying this?

This is the biggest conspiracy I've ever seen!
:omg:

I wonder how far this thing goes?
:huh:

JBond

Reaction score
This is the same defense that was ranked 6th last season, had Richard getting HC interviews
I guess they forgot what they were doing...lol
The biggest part that puzzles me is the LB play. Out of position, over running stuff, poor tackling at times, bad angles, etc. As a coach, what are you seeing?

pansophy

Reaction score
I can't decide if this depresses me, or makes me feel like our problems are fixable.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I'm not sure if it's stupidity or arrogance, but opponents and analysts use the word "predictable" about the Cowboys defense AND offense yet nothing changes.

"We just need to execute better." - JG :rolleyes:

JustChip

Reaction score
its either one or the other either the coaches suck or the players do or maybe it just simply both suck this is a overated over paid team on both sides of the ball
It is most likely some of all of the above.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Outcoached again, too bad Jerry is too stupid to see it.

Most of the people on here have seen it for years, we saw it with Linehan as well. It usually takes Jerry 5 years to catch on.

Dre11

Reaction score
Stats can be misleading. If your offense holds the ball, the opponent gets fewer possessions. If your defense gives up first down after first down, but not the big play, in the end the won't give up as many points. But it can also have a negative effect on your offense if the defense can't get off the field and give them more possessions.

Our defense is notorious for allowing opponents to march down the field with ease if they are willing to take the open underneath stuff over and over. This is part of the reason why our defense normally needs a penalty or a sack in order to force a punt.

Lol... the defense was good last season, there's nobody on the planet that will say different. They had 2 hiccups. You can try and talk that cap all day. You're wrong.

romothesavior

Reaction score
Totally right about Marinelli. His philosophy is having a simple defense, whose simplicity allows our defense to out execute the other team. His philosophy is "blame the players for not winning with my simple scheme."

Much like Garrett's "next man up", and "we do what we do", it's a philosophy that absolves the coaches of contributing anything to a win, particularly on game day.

Both simply don't understand the value of creating confusion in the opponent, and therefore their *responsibility* to create that confusion. They are responsible for nothing. "We need to execute better" means "the *players* need to execute better, not the *coaches*". The coaches have nothing to do on game day but clap and exhort the team to try harder.
Great post.

romothesavior

Reaction score
Lol... the defense was good last season, there's nobody on the planet that will say different. They had 2 hiccups. You can try and talk that cap all day. You're wrong.
Last year's defense was solid, but nothing to write home about.

Dre11

Reaction score
Last year's defense was solid, but nothing to write home about.

I mean if were listening to people talk.

It's been no secret that Dallas has fielded a tough defense all season. The Cowboys ranked in the top 10 in three major categories before Thursday night's game, including points allowed (third), rushing yards allowed (fifth) and total yards allowed (seventh). They have disruptive pass rushers, active linebackers and the kind of chemistry that makes it hard on opponents to find a rhythm. Over its previous three games, Dallas hadn't allowed anybody to score more than 23 points.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...yr%3Dmark_ingram;plyr%3Dmichael_thomas&sr=amp

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been saying since the Garrett era started, his philosophy will not work in this era of football. Just won’t. It was truly a waste of 10 years.