Video: Chris Simms Unbuttoned. Explains issues with our simple scheme on defense

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
This is the same defense that was ranked 6th last season, had Richard getting HC interviews
I guess they forgot what they were doing...lol
Maybe that was in spite of the scheme and coaching. Maybe they’d have been the no. 1 D and able to stop Anderson and Gurley.

Dre11

Reaction score
Maybe that was in spite of the scheme and coaching. Maybe they’d have been the no. 1 D and able to stop Anderson and Gurley.

Lol..i'm going to guess sarcasm?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Lol..i'm going to guess sarcasm?
No. I’m just wondering if they’re making it on talent and if a coach that mixed it up and confused the QB would’ve had more success.

Honest speculative question. I know there’s no answer, really.

Just a theory

Dre11

Reaction score
No. I’m just wondering if they’re making it on talent and if a coach that mixed it up and confused the QB would’ve had more success.

Honest speculative question. I know there’s no answer, really.

Just a theory

There is a mix , they don't sit in the same defensive alignment all game, they dont sit in the coverage all game. The one thing I would like to see more is blitz .

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Dre is a coach or former coach and he is not completely wrong. yes the coaches could scheme a little better and the cowboys are a bit predictable but coaches coach and players play and the cowboys dont execute well enough. The scheme that they do constantly does require the players to execute and we have some poor players in the secondary using a poor technique.

The defensive line is terrible in the middle and underachieving on the end. I dont have much confidence in the LB either so they are getting beat on all 3 levels

So you do like every other team in the league and you find a way to cover you weaknesses. You don't play into them. When my son played for a poor coach growing up the coach was telling the kids. "I play a scheme that is really easy so as long as every person does there job it works and if not I know whose fault it is". The team was getting creamed by the other teams. This was in 6th grade. It didn't work at that level and I feel like Chris Sims just said the same thing here. Frustrating.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
There is a mix , they don't sit in the same defensive alignment all game, they dont sit in the coverage all game. The one thing I would like to see more is blitz .
I’d like that too. One that isn’t easily identified. How often have we had a guy run free like the Jets did on the lame two point attempt to end the game?

Sims and Darnold seem confident that we play two coverages. 3 deep and single high man to man.

We don’t even run any cover 2? Maybe some of our analysts here can verify or dispute.

starfan1

Reaction score
lol and where do we get anti bacterial water
Sorry you all this is what happens when you wake up early and combine work issues with zone viewing for whatever reason I can’t delete it my bad

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
How does this defense play well against the almighty Sean Payton if the scheme is so horrible? Everyone on here holds Payton to a pedestal as the 2nd best coach in the league (incorrectly I believe), yet these coaches who are supposedly terrible are able to figure out how to stop them 2 years in a row.

Do I think the scheme is too reactionary? Yes.

Do I think the players are a big reason for the problem? Yes. The front 4 this year has been terrible.

But for example on the Jets 92 yard TD, that wasn’t scheme. That was a simple go route that Awuzie defends in 1 on 1 drills EVERY DAY. But he falls down and according to Garrett, Heath fails to maintain proper depth (not angle) in support. I’m not sure if he was supposed to be further back when play started.

The coaching problem to me is not having more emphasis on DT and letting Heath play single high.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dre is a coach or former coach and he is not completely wrong. yes the coaches could scheme a little better and the cowboys are a bit predictable but coaches coach and players play and the cowboys dont execute well enough. The scheme that they do constantly does require the players to execute and we have some poor players in the secondary using a poor technique.

The defensive line is terrible in the middle and underachieving on the end. I dont have much confidence in the LB either so they are getting beat on all 3 levels
Part of a coaches job is to put players in position to succeed and teach...."coach"..... proper technique. If those players aren't performing than they need to be replaced...... also falls on a coach.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think a team eventually takes on the personality of the HC. Look at the way the players are playing and acting.

Carson

Reaction score
I love his breakdowns. He has no agenda and explains what he sees very good.

Love watching him.

Agreed. He’s damn good at what he’s doing. Helps knowing he was an nfl QB so he knows a thing or two

dfense

Reaction score
Strangely, this defensive scheme seems to work fine when there's a pass rush.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
This video has me cracking up when Chris Simms is talking about the adjustments were to play harder, hit harder. Say it louder. HARDER! :lmao:

mahoneybill

Reaction score

The cat chase dog style of our DB's just begs the QB to overthrow the receiver and allow them to run under the ball, or slow down and let our non looking DB run into them.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
How does this defense play well against the almighty Sean Payton if the scheme is so horrible? Everyone on here holds Payton to a pedestal as the 2nd best coach in the league (incorrectly I believe), yet these coaches who are supposedly terrible are able to figure out how to stop them 2 years in a row.

Do I think the scheme is too reactionary? Yes.

Do I think the players are a big reason for the problem? Yes. The front 4 this year has been terrible.

But for example on the Jets 92 yard TD, that wasn’t scheme. That was a simple go route that Awuzie defends in 1 on 1 drills EVERY DAY. But he falls down and according to Garrett, Heath fails to maintain proper depth (not angle) in support. I’m not sure if he was supposed to be further back when play started.

The coaching problem to me is not having more emphasis on DT and letting Heath play single high.

I may be wrong but i think Heath has more Interceptions over the past few years than our DB's. Therein lies the reason to let him play that deep... Also he has made a couple of big stops over his time, but also doesn't " execute" on many others....

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Totally on coaches. When other teams know exactly what you are going to run it is easy to counter and have plays to specifically beat what you run. I get it players have to play but at the same time you have to help your players.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Basically what we've been saying about our defense and pretty much JG's overall philosophy. Believing simple scheme and talent and out hustling the opponent will beat everyone.

thanks for sharing.

this was an awesome post. Learned a lot.

Some of the posts on here are just opinion based, but this was an excellent post.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I’d like that too. One that isn’t easily identified. How often have we had a guy run free like the Jets did on the lame two point attempt to end the game?

Sims and Darnold seem confident that we play two coverages. 3 deep and single high man to man.

We don’t even run any cover 2? Maybe some of our analysts here can verify or dispute.

I think most of the cover 2/4 is on 3rd and long.

Marinelli likes the 3-2-6 with a LB blitzing around the B or C gap.