Clabo signs with Dolphins

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5077697 said:
5 reasons:

1. I can't imagine losing 42 centers during training camp and having to play most of the season with a 3rd string center.

I agree with this. Center will be better.

2. Bern is isn't coming off major surgery.

So what? He's still a bad football player.

3. You've got a 1st round draft pick shoring up one of the middle spots of the line.

Isn't this part of #1?

4. Tyron Smith started out badly last season, but ended strongly and was still the 40th rated OT. He'll rate much higher this season.

Tyron is the least of our worries IMO.

5. The Free/Parnell position swapping produced excellent results the last 3 games of the season if it (the swapping) continues in 2013 you'll see much better than the 66th ranked RT out there.

"Excellent" is a huge overstatement. It was BETTER, but does 1 month old chinese food taste better than 2 month old chinese food?

And here's a bonus... Eric Winston wasn't too far down the list from Clabo when it came to rankings. Keep that in mind.

Clabo would have been a clear upgrade, and I don't want a guy who's been cut from two teams in two years. I'd rather ride with Parnell.

Answers in bold...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
davey999;5077711 said:
No. How about concrete plans to solve ongoing, perpetual problems?

Too much to ask for I guess.

Spending a first round draft pick isn't a concrete plan?

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5077704 said:
Oh you want guarantees in life.

Yeah.

All your assessments and prognostications worked out so well last year I cannot see why anyone would doubt you.... :lmao:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Zordon;5077714 said:
That's a lot of faith in the status quo.

Should be read as, "Things will be better no matter what we do".

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 8m

Expect to see Doug Free remain the starting RT in Dallas. According to a @RapSheet source, Tyson Clabo is signing with the Dolphins today.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 17m

Yup. Much harder to convince him to take a pay cut now. Why would he? RT @Flewbyuu @RapSheet Also has impact on Free in Dallas

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another offseason of failing to prioritize the OL and the irrational defense of that from the same fans that are wrong every year.

It's not a question of whether we'll be worse at RT this year. That's the exact type of mindset I'm talking about. Settling. We need to be significantly better at RT. And RG. And C. And LG.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Sickening. Another missed opportunity to upgrade our OL. Like Waters in '11.

Zordon

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;5077727 said:

Expect to see Doug Free remain the starting RT in Dallas. According to a @RapSheet source, Tyson Clabo is signing with the Dolphins today.

Yup. Much harder to convince him to take a pay cut now. Why would he? RT @Flewbyuu @RapSheet Also has impact on Free in Dallas
:laugh2: if Free is back next year I dont know what I'd do.

RT needs to be our 1st pick next year.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:storm: :storm: :storm:

Ok Winston or bust.....................

birdwells1

Reaction score
TheRomoSexual;5077656 said:
Good, tired of old stop-gaps.

So.......what's the alternative? We draft a rt for this year? That would've been better said before the draft.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;5077668 said:
I still predict the same 5 OL that started last year, will be the same ones marching out there for game one........

I'd take that bet.

birdwells1

Reaction score
CATCH17;5077662 said:
I bet the Cowboys are happy to get this pressure off their shoulders so they can stay status quo.

It's all on Parnell now.

They got him on a 1 year deal too? Wow. Would've been perfect.

Boy it sure sounds like it. Like giving Free a paycut is going to improve his performance.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Free now has the leverage. A major screw up by the FO.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;5077727 said:

Because he should be cut based on his play alone and not whether Dallas can grab the top FA OT available.

It's not a question of "do we cut Free because we signed a prized FA OT".

It more along the lines of, "do we cut Free because we won't do any worse with Parnell".

He should be cut either way. Only difference it would make to me is that Dallas should take the entire cap charge this year if there isn't a FA brought in.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Kinda off topic, but does anyone have the PFF rankings of our linemen? I saw an article with each team's highest and lowest rated. Livings was the highest rated with a +11.3, and Free was the lowest with a -10.1. Livings' score was slightly above average compared to starting linemen. Some of the best lines in the league had their lowest rated guys nearly as high as Livings. And Free's score was below average, but there were some guys much worse.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Yeah, Free isn't going anywhere guys. Get used to it. Maybe next year.

reddyuta

Reaction score
winston is better than Free,its time to cut our losses with free and hope parnell can be the starter with winston backing him.

jnday

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5077702 said:
Hey I would have like to see the Clabo signing, but for some reason it didn't happen.

Winston is still out there and he didn't rank much lower than Clabo... Something to think about.

Free played much better to end the season. And Parnell is a question mark, however he didn't look overwhelmed when given the opportunity.

I don't think that RT will be worse this year.

It mat not be worse, but they missed a chance to make it better.