Clabo signs with Dolphins

birdwells1

Reaction score
davey999;5077701 said:
All assumptions and best case scenarios.

This is soooo true. We saw how that worked out for us last year. Things don't always go as planned.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mr Cowboy;5077668 said:
I still predict the same 5 OL that started last year, will be the same ones marching out there for game one........

Stay away from the stock market.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Also, wasn't much talk of Free's improved play towards the end when there was a good amount of optimism that he was going to be cut.

Now all of a sudden when the chances increase that Dallas is saddled with him......."oh but he looked better in those last 3 games".

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
newlander;5077655 said:
let the board MELTDOWN commence:lmao2:

.......it sucks but most of us knew this would happen: we don't have the cap space thanks to HORRIBLE signings like Doug Free. Then we compound it by letting the fatarse take his own sweet time making up his mind to take a paycut: this organization is a joke and JJ is the main reason why:bang2:
Calvin Watkins reports, however, that the Cowboys have more than $5 million in cap room at the present time, not counting the $2 million they'll get in June when the release of Marcus Spears takes effect and not counting the $7 million (post-June 1) they could save by cutting Free. This would seem to indicate that they can sign someone like Clabo and still sign their draft picks (especially since their first-rounder ended up being No. 31 and not No. 18, a distinction likely to save them somewhere around $300,000 against this year's cap). The picks don't need to be under contract prior to June 1, so the Cowboys can wait until then to take care of that even if they sign Clabo in the meantime.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4708269/can-cowboys-afford-to-sign-a-tackle

jnday

Reaction score
Risen Star;5077728 said:
Another offseason of failing to prioritize the OL and the irrational defense of that from the same fans that are wrong every year.

It's not a question of whether we'll be worse at RT this year. That's the exact type of mindset I'm talking about. Settling. We need to be significantly better at RT. And RG. And C. And LG.

Settling has become something that I expect from the team and a large portion of the fans.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I wonder what people would say if he signed for more than 5 million dollars...

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
davey999;5077711 said:
No. How about concrete plans to solve ongoing, perpetual problems?

Too much to ask for I guess.

So, you KNOW for SURE that Clabo would solve the problem....nice.

To me he's just another older guy that wasn't wanted by his old team and so he somehow became a savior to anyone with a need at tackle.

The kind of signing that we constantly make and everyone and moan about, but since we didn't make the overpayment this time, somehow we are missing out on the one time that it would really have worked for us.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This bites for sure, missed an opportunity to strengthen the right side. I was/am more concerned with the guards to be honest. I do not want to see both Livings and Bernie being trotted out there, one needs to be replaced at least. Hopefully Parnell can be somewhat stable out there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mr Cowboy;5077668 said:
I still predict the same 5 OL that started last year, will be the same ones marching out there for game one........

With the same lousy results?

:laugh2:

jnday

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5077719 said:
Spending a first round draft pick isn't a concrete plan?

How did that solve the problems at right tackle? They have the money, they had the player available to upgrade the position, how can you defend them not making the move? There is no excuse for not signing Clabo. The fact that he was willing to sign a one year deal makes the situation too perfect to pass up.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We should go into this training camp with every guy's job on the line except for Smith and Frederick. The young guys (Costa, Parnell, Arkin) have been here long enough that they need to start producing. Have them battle it out for the starting positions with the vets, and cut anyone who isn't getting it done. By that time, there should be a lot of veterans showing up on the waiver wire. If there are still positions that are deficient, then sign some vets at the minimum.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
davey999;5077701 said:
All assumptions and best case scenarios.

You're making a lot of assumptions yourself, and they're all negative.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke;5077757 said:

To me he's just another older guy that wasn't wanted by his old team and so he somehow became a savior to anyone with a need at tackle.

The kind of signing that we constantly make and everyone and moan about, but since we didn't make the overpayment this time, somehow we are missing out on the one time that it would really have worked for us.

No we don't know that, but we do know that the overpaid guy we do have is a problem and not a solution. We could have had the older, unknown guy for a cheaper price, knowing that he has been ranked much higher than the known, overpriced, bum we now have.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I just wish we were serious about winning.

Giving money to those 2 guards last year is really frustrating.

Now we're trotting terrible players out on the field all because of their bad contracts.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

We would be significantly better at protecting against an outside pass rush.

Who knows what will happen on the inside. I'd feel a lot better if our 1st round pick was a legit 1st round talent.

Parnell has to be good. It's our only hope unless someone becomes available June 1st.

Clabo was the perfect fit though.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
The organization addressed both Guard positions last off season and signed the best Free Agent OT available the year they signed Free.

They Drafted Smith and Frederick.

The entire Oline has been replaced in three seasons.

It's a process.

Now we just need to stack some good days.:muttley:

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
90% of this board is against signing older players because it never works....that is until we don't sign an older vet.

I will go on record as saying that we will be improved at C and G, because Frederick is an improvement over anything we had last year in the interior and a healthy Costa is better than any of the remaining guys we had. Parnell and/or Free really can't be worse than what we got from Free for the most part.

The funny thing is that those against signing old players are desperate now to sign anyone. There are multiple reports that Winston has significant knee problems, and that most don't see him as much of an upgrade if any over what we had last year. Yet people know are making him the savior of the franchise.

:bang2:

birdwells1

Reaction score

Well....what we do know is that Free didn't work last year and about that over payment we don't have the details of the contract yet. I'm not saying he was or wasn't over payed it's just that we don't know.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EGG;5077723 said:
All your assessments and prognostications worked out so well last year I cannot see why anyone would doubt you.... :lmao:

You have a linky?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;5077766 said:
No we don't know that, but we do know that the overpaid guy we do have is a problem and not a solution. We could have had the older, unknown guy for a cheaper price, knowing that he has been ranked much higher than the known, overpriced, bum we now have.

When you factor in the cap hit that will still come from Free this year, and the dead money next year, plus Clabo's cap hit....we would probably be in a similar situation moneywise and there is nothing that guarantees that Clabo will solve the problem. It also does nothing for us long term because we won't be able to afford to resign Clabo.

I would have loved for us to draft an OT to compete with Parnell so we could let Free go but I am not going to lose sleep over it. Maybe Romo is.