Clabo signs with Dolphins

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jnday;5077762 said:
How did that solve the problems at right tackle? They have the money, they had the player available to upgrade the position, how can you defend them not making the move? There is no excuse for not signing Clabo. The fact that he was willing to sign a one year deal makes the situation too perfect to pass up.

No one here knows the back room story.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
CATCH17;5077767 said:
I just wish we were serious about winning.

Giving money to those 2 guards last year is really frustrating.

Now we're trotting terrible players out on the field all because of their bad contracts.

We didn't give them a lot of money in reality.

NJ22

Reaction score
8-8 if we are lucky. Jerry is completely useless.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke;5077770 said:
90% of this board is against signing older players because it never works....that is until we don't sign an older vet.

I will go on record as saying that we will be improved at C and G, because Frederick is an improvement over anything we had last year in the interior and a healthy Costa is better than any of the remaining guys we had. Parnell and/or Free really can't be worse than what we got from Free for the most part.

The funny thing is that those against signing old players are desperate now to sign anyone. There are multiple reports that Winston has significant knee problems, and that most don't see him as much of an upgrade if any over what we had last year. Yet people know are making him the savior of the franchise.

:bang2:

Link?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
NJ22;5077779 said:

We are a Brandon Albert and Clabo move away from being a Superbowl team but our front office refuses to fix this O line.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5077658 said:
There's something to be said about that.

That stop gap would have been better than the alternative (Free/Parnell).

Read some negative reviews on Winston yesterday so I'm not so sure he'd be much of an upgrade either.

Might be best to stay with *gasp* Free/Parnell another year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Rack Bauer;5077782 said:

Read some negative reviews on Winston yesterday so I'm not so sure he'd be much of an upgrade either.

Free needs to hit the road unless he's back on the juice.

Parnell has upside but he could really mess our season up if he gets exposed.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheRomoSexual;5077656 said:
Good, tired of old stop-gaps.

I'm tired of being in a position to NEED stop-gaps.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack Bauer;5077782 said:

I don't disagree that the stop-gap would have been better.

But the fact is that there are young players that need to be extended and that some of the cap space that exists currently is going to be needed for that.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5077786 said:
I don't disagree that the stop-gap would have been better.

But the fact is that there are young players that need to be extended and that some of the cap space that exists currently is going to be needed for that.

Good point. I just worry about Romo's health. Another year of running for his life and getting pounded into the dirt, only to have the "Fans" claim he's a choke artist.

We need someone solid there. Not a superstar, not an Eric Williams, just someone solid. And that person isn't on the roster IMO.

I'll take Winston but not at the amount of money he probably thinks he's worth.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack Bauer;5077789 said:
Good point. I just worry about Romo's health. Another year of running for his life and getting pounded into the dirt, only to have the "Fans" claim he's a choke artist.

We need someone solid there. Not a superstar, not an Eric Williams, just someone solid. And that person isn't on the roster IMO.

An Winston may be the choice.

I would have to think we'll know pretty soon.

NJ22

Reaction score
It is really like they don't even watch football. Did anyone in their right mind last year, watch the team rush for the worst total in franchise history, Romo run for his life and still throw for almost 5000 yards and 28TD's and think Man if we just had more weapons for Tony! Of course not. If there was even an average run game and average protection we are a 11-12 win team even with the awful D we had. Tony will have to carry this team to 8-8 again and have to hear how he doesn't make the team better, meanwhile they are a 4 win team without him.
The ran out Tyron and 4 Scrubs last year, now it is Tyron a rookie Center and 3 stiffs and we are supposed to expect different results??? Can't stand Jerry.

CATCH17;5077781 said:
We are a Brandon Albert and Clabo move away from being a Superbowl team but our front office refuses to fix this O line.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5077791 said:
An Winston may be the choice.

I would have to think we'll know pretty soon.
Broaddus has said that the Cowboys and other nfl teams see Winston as a backup RT.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;5077780 said:

Trying to find them....I know I have read it here and also on the Ranch that teams are not sure about his knees.

There was a posting that many within our organization don't see Winston as an upgrade over what we have.

Even without articles saying it....Winston has been cut twice in the last two years despite not missing any games....and with cap hits both times to the teams that let him go. He has been a free agent for months and has been tied to about 15 different teams. There have been articles posted where he acknowledges that the money isn't out there and he is willing to work for what would be a salary below what you would expect for a guy with his resume. Despite this, NOBODY has signed him. Even teams with lots of cap space. WHY? There has to be some reason.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
jnday;5077762 said:
How did that solve the problems at right tackle? They have the money, they had the player available to upgrade the position, how can you defend them not making the move? There is no excuse for not signing Clabo. The fact that he was willing to sign a one year deal makes the situation too perfect to pass up.
Is it not possible that Clabo chose the Dolphins over the Cowboys?

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
NJ22;5077779 said:

You realize there were a lot more factors into going 8-8 last year besides just poor RT play.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Rack Bauer;5077789 said:

Winston was quoted about a month ago

“In the $3-4 million range is something that I think is more than fair for a starter who has played pretty well throughout his career,” Winston said.

So start with $3m....and since it is further into free agency, I bet that number would drop even more. I know he thinks he is worth more but he knows he isn't getting it.

The only other free agent of note at RT is Winston Justice, who was a turnstile in Philly but only gave up 3 sacks last year playing for the Colts.

Jenky

Reaction score
Signing Clabo would have made me feel 100% better about the o-line. But it just made too much sense for it to happen.

Maybe we can still get Laurent Robinson.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The same people over and over again are against doing anything major on the O line.

The same people were fine last year with dumpster diving for guards.

The same people that point with pride to drafting Arkin and Nagy.

The same people that somehow think if these jags work together long enough they will be good.

The same people claiming the O line was better late in the year
(Must have missed the Commander game at least)

Meanwhile we have a franchise record bad running game
Romo is on the run and we cannot have any pass plays that are real deep routes since he would not have the time

The same people just shrug and say its a process.