Claiborne benched... Can we finally admit he's a bust?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It would probably look better under any scenario than it looks now and we might have picked up 2 quality starters in the process. I hope that he can can get healthy and produce at a reasonable level, but he just looks like a huge liability given his current condition and demonstrated fragility.

The secondary would look better? How so? The secondary was the worst in the league before we paid Brandon Carr and traded for Claiborne. And you think it would look better without Claiborne?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
According to ESPN Dallas, Claiborne has lost his starting CB job to Scandrick.

According to Pro Football Focus, he has graded out this year as the 99th of 101 qualifying CBs. Last year, he graded out as 83rd among 113 qualifying CBs. This, on top of having multiple injuries over the past two year.

He is yet another glaring draft mistake Jerry made by being blinded by "shiny things" (skill position players) and not drafting the trenches.

No more than we kin admit Carter is a bust. He too, despite what his coach said, was benched. Carter got hot and tired (in San Diego?). Good one, old, old coach.

Reaction score
My thoughts on the guy is that he's not healthy. If he was beasting enough in training camp to the point Dez was hyping him up, then it says to me that that shoulder injury has got him playing timid. Dude has a busted shoulder, but they want him to tackle with it? mmm, yeah, I don't see much success in that.

I'm hashtagging, because I can.. :cool:

I don't doubt that he has a lingering shoulder issue. And not to be a jerk, but how does his shoulder affect his legs? He is routinely out of position in coverage and slow to react on slants and crossing patterns. I'll grant you that a shoulder might affect his aggressiveness in tackling, but not his coverage, which has been piss poor this year.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
My thoughts on the guy is that he's not healthy. If he was beasting enough in training camp to the point Dez was hyping him up, then it says to me that that shoulder injury has got him playing timid. Dude has a busted shoulder, but they want him to tackle with it? mmm, yeah, I don't see much success in that.

I'm hashtagging, because I can.. :cool:
Maybe a team mate was just hyping him up. So this # is pointless on here?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't doubt that he has a lingering shoulder issue. And not to be a jerk, but how does his shoulder affect his legs? He is routinely out of position in coverage and slow to react on slants and crossing patterns. I'll grant you that a shoulder might affect his aggressiveness in tackling, but not his coverage, which has been piss poor this year.
As was noted either in this thread or another, they all tend to run together after awhile. He missed the majority of training camp and preseason, because he had a knee injury, prior to the shoulder thing. IMO, he's rusty and unhealthy, which is a bad combination right now.

Maybe a team mate was just hyping him up. So this # is pointless on here?
Nah, I don't really see Dez hyping him up just to support his teammate, in this case, since the reports prior to his tendinitis was that he was doing well. But it's not a point, I'll debate to the death over either.

#pointlesshashtagintendedtoannoy lol

Doomsay

Reaction score
The secondary would look better? How so? The secondary was the worst in the league before we paid Brandon Carr and traded for Claiborne. And you think it would look better without Claiborne?

Carr is irrelevant to the discussion.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Carr is irrelevant to the discussion.

I'm not bringing him into. I'm referring to the 2011 season. We were TERRIBLE. So the Cowboys invested a 1st and 2nd round pick in Claiborne and Brandon Carr because of how terrible it was. Now the belief is we should've invested in ANOTHER linebacker and DT when the secondary was the worst part of our defense?

kruddy

Duffer
Reaction score
If we need to bench players to get a point across, why not, look how it worked with Free. If your team does not perform , then nobody is safe. If you never improve then you fire the G.M. and let the new one hire his own staff, now this is a problem that is not fixable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If we need to bench players to get a point across, why not, look how it worked with Free. If your team does not perform , then nobody is safe. If you never improve then you fire the G.M. and let the new one hire his own staff, now this is a problem that is not fixable.

I tend to agree. People have compained about holding player accoutable and Dallas is. Claiborne may not start but he will play in this game and it falls to him to step up and make plays.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Mike Jenkins 2008:
1 interception for 23 yards and a TD
4 passes defended
0 fumbles recoveries
19 tackles

Mo Claioborne 2012:
1 interception in the endzone
8 passes defended
1 forced fumble
2 fumble recoveries one for a 50 yard TD
43 tackles
16 assisted tackles

How many yards, completions, and touchdowns they gave up would be more relevant. Along with their completion percentage.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
According to ESPN Dallas, Claiborne has lost his starting CB job to Scandrick.

According to Pro Football Focus, he has graded out this year as the 99th of 101 qualifying CBs. Last year, he graded out as 83rd among 113 qualifying CBs. This, on top of having multiple injuries over the past two year.

He is yet another glaring draft mistake Jerry made by being blinded by "shiny things" (skill position players) and not drafting the trenches.

can you be a bust in the second year?