Clarity forming on who Dallas will pick at #4

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Apparently tackles are part of being a ball hawk now...

He can play outside in certain formations on TE's so he looks like a CB, but hes actually a SS IMO. 90% of the time he covers RBs and TEs to keep him close to the LOS, because FSU understood thats how he made the most impact. hes a SS

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think people want to prematurely move physical CBs to safety, to me I'd use him at CB and just allow him to blitz quite a bit, ala Ronde Barber or Charles Woodson. I think he does have good cover skills, so I'd want to take advantage of that and keep him at CB as opposed to safety, even if he never turns into a consistent 5+ int guy.

We diverge there. I think he is taylor made to be a SS. I know I am in the very small minority, but I think his coverage ability is pretty spotty and takes him away from his strength which is reading and reacting with his eyes in the backfield. Put him at SS and let him carry the slot in zone and blitz from there. I don't think he's a good fit outside. Not right now at least.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
no it isn't. William Jackson this year has 23 passes defended and 5 ints, I'd say he at least shows the potential to be a ball hawk, but it's far from definitive with him even.

Jackson had 31 more passed directed his way - that's certainly worth pointing out.

I think Ramsey safely projects as a ball-hawk at FS/Rover/Nickel. Tyrann Mathiew only defended 16 passes in his two years at LSU. Is he not a ball hawk? If not, then I misunderstand what you mean by the term.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
He can play outside in certain formations on TE's so he looks like a CB, but hes actually a SS IMO. 90% of the time he covers RBs and TEs to keep him close to the LOS, because FSU understood thats how he made the most impact. hes a SS

He didn't cover backs or TEs 90% of the time. He was in the slot playing bump and trail more than anywhere else. He can play SS, but I see no need to pigeon hole him there. I've not heard a single paid analyst do so.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Jackson had 31 more passed directed his way - that's certainly worth pointing out.

I think Ramsey safely projects as a ball-hawk at FS/Rover/Nickel. Tyrann Mathiew only defended 16 passes in his two years at LSU. Is he not a ball hawk? If not, then I misunderstand what you mean by the term.

ball hawk
noun
Popularity: Bottom 10% of words
Definition of ball hawk
  1. 1: a player skillful in taking the ball away from opponents (as in basketball or football)

2. 2: a fielder in baseball skilled in catching fly balls

Can we all agree that, regardless of what you might think of Ramsey, 3 ints in 42 games does not constitute a "ball hawk"?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

Mathiew had too small a sample size imo to come to a conclusion due to getting kicked out of school. 16 passes defended and 4 ints is ok considering it came as a freshman and a sophomore. Ramsey was below that as a freshman and sophomore with 13 passes defended and 3 ints, but did not add much as a junior.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
ball hawk
noun
Popularity: Bottom 10% of words
Definition of ball hawk
  1. 1: a player skillful in taking the ball away from opponents (as in basketball or football)

2. 2: a fielder in baseball skilled in catching fly balls

I always thought ball hawk meant someone who is always around the ball; thanks for the clarification.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ed Reed - 45 games played in college, 21 ints (17 in his last two seasons)

Jalen Ramsey - 42 games played in college, 3 ints (none in his final 17 games).

Seems fairly clear to me that Ramsey is no Ed Reed.

That's an unbelievable stat!

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've heard this now from David Moore, Mike Fisher, Dane Brugler, and a couple of other local insiders.

Dallas' pick will be either Jalen Ramsey or Ezekiel Elliott. If they're both there, Dallas will take Ramsey. Joey Bosa is out of the running at 4.

San Diego is not going to take Ramsey, but they might trade out of the pick so another team can. That's likely the only way Dallas takes Elliott.

Unless, of course, Dallas is trades down, but those partners aren't expected to be willing to give up much.

Sounds like Jalen Ramsey it most likely will be. I'm fine with the pick, but I'd much rather have Elliott because I want immediate impact.

But if Ramsey is an Ed Reed type of player, then I'll get over it just fine.

There's supposed to be a lot of defensive linemen in Rounds 2 and 3.

yeah, as you read my posts you will see I want Zeke, but this sounds about right.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Mathiew had too small a sample size imo to come to a conclusion due to getting kicked out of school. 16 passes defended and 4 ints is ok considering it came as a freshman and a sophomore. Ramsey was below that as a freshman and sophomore with 13 passes defended and 3 ints, but did not add much as a junior.

Right, but as a Junior he was playing bump and trail. It's not really fair to compare his production to players outside of that role, imo.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
We diverge there. I think he is taylor made to be a SS. I know I am in the very small minority, but I think his coverage ability is pretty spotty and takes him away from his strength which is reading and reacting with his eyes in the backfield. Put him at SS and let him carry the slot in zone and blitz from there. I don't think he's a good fit outside. Not right now at least.

I think he has the athleticism to stick with WRs, but I do question is he going to consistently turn around, locate the ball and make a play on it. If CB doesn't work for him, I'd certainly try him there, but with his long arms and speed I don't see him as a guy unable to stick with CBs

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think he has the athleticism to stick with WRs, but I do question is he going to consistently turn around, locate the ball and make a play on it. If CB doesn't work for him, I'd certainly try him there, but with his long arms and speed I don't see him as a guy unable to stick with CBs

He's great running in a straight line with WR's. I will give him that.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
maybe, but 0 ints is 0 ints. hard to spin that

Sure. If you mean someone who turns the ball over, then I have no problem saying Ramsey is far from a lock. I think he projects to be a playmaker and have massive, massive range when playing center field. I do think Ramsey can catch and expect him to get INTs when put in a position to do so. I think if he played FS full time, or even more zone, he'd have a lot more than he did.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
I see this falling this way also. Claiborne and Carr have short contracts and we need help on defense. Id welcome Ramsey or anyone ad the 1st pick. I do havery my preference ahem... (EE) but there's no turning back after the pick is made.

Btw, McFadden 1 year... Morris 2 year contract... Dunbar? Should I even hold off some hope?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I agree with you on bold. I honestly think this guy is Jones from a better football school.

garyv

Reaction score
Ramsey could be a Pro Bowl player at either position. In my opinion. Corner is a much more valuable position. In my opinion. Why be scared to have a Pro Bowl corner? At 5 mill a year for the next 5 years?

Because I'm not confident after reading a few reports about his hips and playing the ball with his back turned
to the play....

Several things I've read and even heard (NFL Draft show with Bryan Broddus) they discussed he plays extremely well when the play is in front of him but due to hip rotation when he plays with his back to the play hes not as effective.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Yes, base your draft strategy on low money FA signings. That's genius

oh, you mean like the signing of a top first round drafted running back in McFadden for nothing from a few years back that ran for 1100 yards behind this offensive line in 11 games he started with no quarterback or lead receiver....god I'd hate to think what he'd get with a healthy Romo, a lead receiver and an offensive line together for another year for a whole season......paid 13 million for Hardy, how did that work out....worked pretty well for Carolina and they let him go

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He's great running in a straight line with WR's. I will give him that.

His 20 yard SS is average, but it's not bad. Faster than Marcus Trufant, Jonathan Joseph, Dominique Rogers-Cromartie (actually DRC was .01 faster), Aquib Talib, Joe Haden and Richard Sherman.

So saying he just has straight line speed is a bit of an exaggeration