Clarity forming on who Dallas will pick at #4

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the argument. I have already said numerous times in this thread that Ramsey could be great. That's not the argument. The argument is that he will somehow become a ball-hawk like Ed Reed, when his pedigree shows something completely different. Reed was known as a ball-hawk before being drafted. It made sense (or more sense at least) that it would translate. It doesn't make sense to me, to assume that Ramsey will suddenly become a ball-hawk when he hasn't shown that ability in college.

Define ball hawk. Ramsey makes plays on the ball. He breaks up passes. He has the length, speed, size and jumping ability to contest every catch.

What he didn't do was make a lot of interceptions. There are many reasons for that. Can he be taught to catch the ball better? Probably.

erod

Reaction score
I've read, too, that Ramsey could be an elite CB or an elite S. Teams think he's that good.
And when they took Emmitt I would have laughed at Jim Brown comparisons, and still would because Emmitt and Brown were two very different players. That doesn't exclude both being successful. Ramsey and Reed are two very different players. That doesn't mean Ramsey won't be successful, but to say a kid with 3 college picks will have the effect of one of the best ball hawks EVER is an absolute reach.

Ramsey is said to be a pro-bowl talent at BOTH corner and safety.

No, sir, they aren't different type of athletes.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Define ball hawk. Ramsey makes plays on the ball. He breaks up passes. He has the length, speed, size and jumping ability to contest every catch.

What he didn't do was make a lot of interceptions. There are many reasons for that. Can he be taught to catch the ball better? Probably.

You need me to define ball hawk for you?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ball+hawk
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ball-hawk
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ball hawk

The very definition of ball hawk is intercepting the ball.

Like I said, this doesn't mean Ramsey won't be a great player, but expecting him to suddenly become a ball hawk seems like a reach.

erod

Reaction score
Sure, now what happens next year? Carr and Claiborne will be gone. So you look to draft a corner? High? Or wait later and hope he can start? Oh wait, and he has to be cheap because now you are paying your two safeties round 1 money, one of them being a top 5 guy. Church has been our highest paid safety and he's only been getting about 2.2 mill per year. Byron Jones is making about 2.2 mil per year as well.

And the year after that, Lee and Witten will be gone. And the year after that, Free and Williams will be gone. Etc, etc, etc.

That's just the NFL. It's season by season.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

he wasn't even among the collegiate leaders for passes defended. his 10 tied him for 100th this past season, and his 12 the year before does not make him a ball hawk.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I've read, too, that Ramsey could be an elite CB or an elite S. Teams think he's that good.

Once again, you're completely missing the argument. I've already said, in this thread, that Ramsey could be a great player. All we are talking about is his ability to be a ball hawk.

You guys are completely ignoring the actual argument just to defend Ramsey.

I don't even know where you imagined this CB versus S argument. I haven't said anything about that here.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Like I said, this doesn't mean Ramsey won't be a great player, but expecting him to suddenly become a ball hawk seems like a reach.

Ramsey played WR in HS and caught everything at the combine. Apparently teams asked him to high point balls to show that he can catch in private workouts - and he was fantastic.

We could just be dealing with some random variance. I really do think the kid can catch.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Ramsey played WR in HS and caught everything at the combine. Apparently teams asked him to high point balls to show that he can catch in private workouts - and he was fantastic.

We could just be dealing with some random variance. I really do think the kid can catch.

I never said he couldn't catch.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

they are both vastly different players and athletes. Reed to be honest, does not compare to Ramsey as an athlete. And on the field, they are two totally different types of players, different enough that if one wants to compare Ramsey to a player, it's not Ed Reed

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
they are both vastly different players and athletes. Reed to be honest, does not compare to Ramsey as an athlete. And on the field, they are two totally different types of players, different enough that if one wants to compare Ramsey to a player, it's not Ed Reed

I'm a Ramsey fan, and I agree 100%. I think Patrick Peterson is the best example of his ceiling, and the best physical comp.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I didn't mean to suggest you did. But if he catches 2 of the 3 or 4 he dropped, his INT totals are solid.

But he didn't. This wasn't a blip one year. This was his entire college career.

There again, I am not even saying he won't/can't. I am simply saying that expecting him to suddenly be a ball-hawk is an egregious reach.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
whoever with the number four pick the cowboys need a playmaker either on defense or offense and Bosa is not that pick they have the right two playes targeted.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I'm a Ramsey fan, and I agree 100%. I think Patrick Peterson is the best example of his ceiling, and the best physical comp.

I agree with this. He has a long ways to go to match Peterson's instincts at the position, but there is nothing to stop him from being a Peterson type player at some point.

coogrfan

Reaction score

Maybe. The fact remains that he has not done so in actual games.