Clarity forming on who Dallas will pick at #4

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I love how our entire draft plans are laid out on a platter for the NFL. So generous :banghead:

Sydla

Reaction score
I still contend that if you fix your D line, you fix your secondary at the same time. If you fix your secondary.......it doesn't do anything to fix your D line. It just seems like a waste to me. A great D line can make an average secondary look great.

Or you could have both like Denver.

A great pass rush helps a secondary but in this draft there doesn't appear to be a lot of great pass rushing help.

Sydla

Reaction score
They reported on NFLN the Zeke said the Bears love him the most and the Bears know who they are selecting.

How could the Bears know who the are selecting @ 9, the plot thickens.

Bears want Zeke?

OK. If the Chargers take Ramsey, Jerry should have the Bears on the phone pronto.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I agree with it will be Ramsey. I just don't see us going gaga for a RB, no matter who it is, but obviously not my call.

The Ramsey pick frightens me. His production in college simply wasn't worthy of the #4 pick. And we are supposedly going to play him at safety? I just don't get it. Drafting a player at #4, and then changing his position seems highly risky to me. Especially for a guy that has stone hands.

But this isn't the Jerry Jones Cowboys anymore. Its Stephens show, and Stephen is about dollars and cents. We have two CB's that will be free agents next year, and free agent corners are very expensive. Thats why we will take Ramsey I believe.

In Stephen Jones's defense, he has to about dollars and cents. The cap demands that you manage the $$ wisely. The team's philosophy in this area has changed (for the better, IMO) and I think we will be seeing the dividends of his management pay off as we move forward. JMO.

erod

Reaction score
Or you could have both like Denver.

A great pass rush helps a secondary but in this draft there doesn't appear to be a lot of great pass rushing help.

You could draft defense all seven rounds, and you won't have Denver's defense.

That's a 3-4 year project.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I love how our entire draft plans are laid out on a platter for the NFL. So generous :banghead:

this high up it doesn't make much of a difference. we know the Rams will be taking a QB, and most are pretty sure it's Goff. the Eagles will take who ever the Rams don't, then claim it's who they wanted all along. the Chargers are a wild card, not sure if it's because they want to trade down or just haven't made up their mind, but after reading their transcript of their pre draft press conference, they are going to take Ramsey or Buckner, so we kind know just as much about them as we do about us.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
...except take the ball away.

That's fine.. NFL int's are really low these days.

We need to stop teams from chipping away at us all game more than anything and he will help that in a big way.

A WR like Julio Jones won't destroy Ramsey just because he is physically superior.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Patrick Peterson had 135 tackles and 7 int in three years
Jalen Ramsey had 181 tackles and 3 int in three years

Tell me how many times each were thrown at?

Ramsey also had PFF's highest grade at CB this year. Allowed one TD.

He was also the #1 rated tackler at CB.

robjay04

Reaction score
Because they drafted a CB high last year (verrett) and signed another CB this offseason (casey hayward from GB). ANd they probably dont feel like investing #3 overall in a S is worth it.

You may be right but you can find a few SD writers that feel Ramsey is the pick. The need is there after they lost Weddle.

Sydla

Reaction score
You could draft defense all seven rounds, and you won't have Denver's defense.

That's a 3-4 year project.

That's not my point.

The point being that people shouldn't disregard upgrading the secondary because they think the one we have is OK if we just get a pass rush. This team should be looking to upgrade across the board on defense.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Interceptions are supremely overrated.

You can't intercept what isn't thrown your way. PFF ranked Ramsey as the #1 corner in college after giving up only one TD.

Peter King stated that according to PFF, Ramsey was targeted 66 times last season and came away with zero picks.

0 ints or forced fumbles in his last 17 games as a Nole.

Zero. Zip. Nada.

Imho that's not top 5 in the draft production from a DB. It just ain't

erod

Reaction score
In Stephen Jones's defense, he has to about dollars and cents. The cap demands that you manage the $$ wisely. The team's philosophy in this area has changed (for the better, IMO) and I think we will be seeing the dividends of his management pay off as we move forward. JMO.

Here's some dollars and cents talk.

The Cowboys could have the five most prime years of Elliott's career for a significant annual discount compared to other elite runners in the NFL.

Or, they can pay the same money for a CB who might be a S that won't really be ready to shine until Romo is gone.

Right?

Sydla

Reaction score
He was also the #1 rated tackler at CB.

This is why I think he's best suited to play S opposite Jones. He's not a pure cover CB but he has coverage skills and can tackle.

Having him and Jones roaming the field at the two safety spots would help this defense immensely IMO.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Would surprise me if Ramsey is there at 4.
Keep hearing Jax wants to trade up ahead of Dallas for him...and the cost would be cheap because SD could still get Tunsil at 5.
But yes, if h's there then he's most likely the guy

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Peter King stated that according to PFF, Ramsey was targeted 66 times last season and came away with zero picks.

0 ints or forced fumbles in his last 17 games as a Nole. Imho that's not top 5 in the draft production.

How many receptions did he give up?

erod

Reaction score
That's not my point.

The point being that people shouldn't disregard upgrading the secondary because they think the one we have is OK if we just get a pass rush. This team should be looking to upgrade across the board on defense.

And when it all takes full effect, Romo will be gone, and the Cowboys will be the Dolphins.

Or, you could take Elliott now and give Romo's last 2-3 years an enormous jolt of energy.

Just my opinion.

Jenky

Reaction score
That's fine.. NFL int's are really low these days.

We need to stop teams from chipping away at us all game more than anything and he will help that in a big way.

A WR like Julio Jones won't destroy Ramsey just because he is physically superior.

Its all good in theory but I've seen a physically superior DB like Patrick Peterson get beat on a weekly basis.