Clarity forming on who Dallas will pick at #4

DFWJC

Reaction score
Here's some dollars and cents talk.

The Cowboys could have the five most prime years of Elliott's career for a significant annual discount compared to other elite runners in the NFL.

Or, they can pay the same money for a CB who might be a S that won't really be ready to shine until Romo is gone.

Right?

If Ramsey plays Safety he is going to be epic.

Gaede

Reaction score
Patrick Peterson had 135 tackles and 7 int in three years
Jalen Ramsey had 181 tackles and 3 int in three years

Tell me how many times each were thrown at?

Ramsey also had PFF's highest grade at CB this year. Allowed one TD.

Hmm, didn't know that. Thanks for the info

garyv

Reaction score
I agree with it will be Ramsey. I just don't see us going gaga for a RB, no matter who it is, but obviously not my call.

The Ramsey pick frightens me. His production in college simply wasn't worthy of the #4 pick. And we are supposedly going to play him at safety? I just don't get it. Drafting a player at #4, and then changing his position seems highly risky to me. Especially for a guy that has stone hands.

But this isn't the Jerry Jones Cowboys anymore. Its Stephens show, and Stephen is about dollars and cents. We have two CB's that will be free agents next year, and free agent corners are very expensive. Thats why we will take Ramsey I believe.

Ramsey pick scares me too a little because I think hes a better Safety than Corner. In my view Elliott is a Safer pick and does more for the Win-Loss column!!!

Sydla

Reaction score
[

The Cowboys could have the five most prime years of Elliott's career for a significant annual discount compared to other elite runners in the NFL.

Or, they can pay the same money for a CB who might be a S that won't really be ready to shine until Romo is gone.

Right?

One, is there some rule that states it takes 3 years for a defensive back to mature in this league?

Two, you can keep beating that annual salary drum all you want but everyone knows the real key dollars in contracts is guaranteed money and Elliot becomes an elite paid TB the moment he's taken at 4. If you are OK with that, that's great. But continually trying to sell him as some bargain compared to other TBs is just plain false.

btcutter

Reaction score
I've heard this now from David Moore, Mike Fisher, Dane Brugler, and a couple of other local insiders.

Dallas' pick will be either Jalen Ramsey or Ezekiel Elliott. If they're both there, Dallas will take Ramsey. Joey Bosa is out of the running at 4.

San Diego is not going to take Ramsey, but they might trade out of the pick so another team can. That's likely the only way Dallas takes Elliott.

Unless, of course, Dallas is trades down, but those partners aren't expected to be willing to give up much.

Sounds like Jalen Ramsey it most likely will be. I'm fine with the pick, but I'd much rather have Elliott because I want immediate impact.

But if Ramsey is an Ed Reed type of player, then I'll get over it just fine.

There's supposed to be a lot of defensive linemen in Rounds 2 and 3.

I believe Ramsey is the leading horse in the race. But I think the Zeke is a smoke screen to much of everyone's dismay. This FO has committed itself to the notion that many RBs can produce at a high level behind our line so why the sudden shift? That's slapping yourself in the face. This is "draft poker" for the last two weeks. I don't believe much of what's been passed around. Dallas wants to trade down if possible. If they don't get Ramsey then I think they will take Bosa who is the best DE in the class. There maybe many quality DT in this draft but not as many top end DEs.

Spectre

Reaction score
Don't really see any way they take Elliot at 4. Alfred Morris kinda sealed that for me. Any talk to the contrary is smokescreen.

Is Ramsey really an 'Ed Reed type of player'?

And is he expected to play CB or S at the NFL level?

erod

Reaction score
If Ramsey plays Safety he is going to be epic.

How so? Safeties have a nominal effect at best. Ramsey can only cover one area.

I do like the thought of a Jones/Ramsey combination instead of Church/Wilcox. But without a pass rush, it won't really matter.

garyv

Reaction score
They reported on NFLN the Zeke said the Bears love him the most and the Bears know who they are selecting.

How could the Bears know who the are selecting @ 9, the plot thickens.

Maybe Dallas and the Bears already have a trade worked out or maybe SD and the Bears have atrade worked out ....as the world turns

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
And this is why I think he is a SS

While I do not think SS is his best position, I do believe SS is where he needs to make his impact this year. Barry Church is a solid guy but a liability as an every-down player. Ramsey could significantly upgrade the entire secondary by moving Church out of the starting line-up.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I agree with this take. If/when it comes down to either Ramsey vs Elliot I don't think its possible to mess that up (I just cursed it!). I do realize this message board will go crazy by both Team Zeke and Team Jalen fanboys. Having said that, I think a probability still exists that SD will take Buckner which would put Tunsil, Ramsey and Elliot on the board for us. In that situation I think some team in the 6-10 range will want to trade up with us to get either of those 3. It's another ideal situation for Dallas. If we could pull off Elliot at 6-8 and also picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick, I think we would hit the jackpot.

This would be awesome.

coogrfan

Reaction score
How many receptions did he give up?

Not many. Dude was PFF's 2nd rated CB in CFB last season.

I'm not saying he's a lock to be a bust, but I sure would feel better about taking him 4th if he had a few more takeaways on his resume.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
His production at FSU is no where near either Ed Reed's or Sean Taylor's collegiate production at the University of Miami.
Selecting at no. 4, and "hoping" & "projecting" the pick turns out to be like a past NFL star player is a recipe for disaster.

"Fool's gold".

I'm pretty that can be said about any player at any position.

VirusX

Reaction score
Passing on Zeke is the RB equivalent to passing on Randy Moss... Except Zeke is a tremendous character/team guy... I think we make the biggest mistake we have in the draft in a long time.

cmoney23

Reaction score
I wouldn't be upset with Ramsey. But Elliot at 4, I wouldn't be happy.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't see Dallas taking Elliot when they already re-signed three running backs, nor trading down and for me, Ramsey is the selection if he's there at 4, San Diego didn't even bring Ramsey in for a visit so I don't see SD selecting him, either Tunsil of Buckner to SD, I'm leaning towards Buckner since their defensive against the run was horrible last year..

Yes, base your draft strategy on low money FA signings. That's genius

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

Right?

Truthfully, I can be convinced of about anything at this point. I see the logic in each philosophy. I certainly see the logic of having a stud RB in his prime, but I could use the same logic for CB/DB that you're using for EE. You're assuming EE will be a stud, but that's no given. I could assume that Ramsey will be a stud (that's no given, either) and, therefore, be worth the pick/money. Honestly, all of them are a crap shoot to some degree, and if they're legit they'll be a bargain. Not saying you're wrong, and I would be thrilled to have EE if he's the pick. I'll also be thrilled if Ramsey's the pick because I think he will be a difference maker, too. Put it this way, I would opt for EE on a short term outlook and Ramsey for the long term. If we really have a shot at getting TR and JW a ring before they retire by drafting EE, then by all means, get him in here.
Is my take wishy-washy enough for you? :)