Clarity forming on who Dallas will pick at #4

brucekr

Reaction score
I'd love for Tunsil to fall to us at 4 and trade down to the mid first and take the extra picks. If Ramsey is there, we'll probably take him though.

Hardline

Reaction score
Tunsil and Elliott are the two best players in this draft. We must end up in with one of them.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I agree with it will be Ramsey. I just don't see us going gaga for a RB, no matter who it is, but obviously not my call.

The Ramsey pick frightens me. His production in college simply wasn't worthy of the #4 pick. And we are supposedly going to play him at safety? I just don't get it. Drafting a player at #4, and then changing his position seems highly risky to me. Especially for a guy that has stone hands.

But this isn't the Jerry Jones Cowboys anymore. Its Stephens show, and Stephen is about dollars and cents. We have two CB's that will be free agents next year, and free agent corners are very expensive. Thats why we will take Ramsey I believe.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 44m44 minutes ago
For those worried about Ramsey only having 3 INTs in 3 years at FSU, All-Pro Chris Harris had 3 INTs in 4 years at KU. Ramsey will be fine

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Not many. Dude was PFF's 2nd rated CB in CFB last season.

I'm not saying he's a lock to be a bust, but I sure would feel better about taking him 4th if he had a few more takeaways on his resume.
Who was the highest rated? That's who we need to be talking about with our 1st round pick!!! :p

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Dez would disagree with the defense having 8 in the box to stop Zeke...

Defenses putting 8 in the box is nothing new, it happens. The havoc the Randy Moss wreaked on the NFL was something the NFL had never seen. Even Jerry Rice, who was a better player, did not effect defenses in the same way.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
no, not even close. Elliot is not capable of effecting opposing defenses the way Randy Moss did

I disagree, MWTP. If the o-line is as good as we think they are, Elliott will affect how the d-line plays him and the Dallas offense. It would open up play-action and one-on-one opportunities for the receivers.

erod

Reaction score
Truthfully, I can be convinced of about anything at this point. I see the logic in each philosophy. I certainly see the logic of having a stud RB in his prime, but I could use the same logic for CB/DB that you're using for EE. You're assuming EE will be a stud, but that's no given. I could assume that Ramsey will be a stud (that's no given, either) and, therefore, be worth the pick/money. Honestly, all of them are a crap shoot to some degree, and if they're legit they'll be a bargain. Not saying you're wrong, and I would be thrilled to have EE if he's the pick. I'll also be thrilled if Ramsey's the pick because I think he will be a difference maker, too. Put it this way, I would opt for EE on a short term outlook and Ramsey for the long term. If we really have a shot at getting TR and JW a ring before they retire by drafting EE, then by all means, get him in here.
Is my take wishy-washy enough for you? :)

LOL, we're in the same boat.

Both are good picks based on solid logic. Selfishly, I want the guy that I think can help big time against the Giants in Week 1 with a healthy Romo.

The future is still now, unlike what the poo-poo heads around here say.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I disagree, MWTP. If the o-line is as good as we think they are, Elliott will affect how the d-line plays him and the Dallas offense. It would open up play-action and one-on-one opportunities for the receivers.

I don't see how anyone who saw Randy Moss play in his prime can make the claim that a Elliot can have that type of impact. I don't think DMurray had a RMoss type impact in 2014 and he rushed for 1800 yards...how many yards does Elliot need to hit to have a Moss type impact?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Unless the Chargers trade out of their pick, Ezekiel Elliott will be wearing the :starspin:.

I'm about 99.9% certain of it*.

*But I reserve the right to change my prediction after the Cowboys' pick is made. ;)

Kaiser

Reaction score
I believe Ramsey is the leading horse in the race. But I think the Zeke is a smoke screen to much of everyone's dismay.

I wouldn't doubt that. I would add there are a lot of good RBs available in the 3rd and 4th round this year.

Everything this time of year is a smoke screen, if you really want to move down a few spots right now the best smoke screen is "We love Ramsey and want to take him, but hey, we like Elliot also so a trade down to the 6 - 10 range is something we would be open to".

No team telegraphs there moves, they just signal what they would be open to. They are open to taking Ramsey unless someone gives them a good trade package, which may be there goal all along.

Also I don't rule out Myles Jack, the fact we have heard nothing about him makes me think he might be a target. . And if the team traded down to 7 or 8 and still got (a healthy) Myles Jack, the trade would be a coup. A lot of people have Jack as one of the two best players in the draft and you would essentially be making a trade like Ramsey for Jack and Will Fuller. I would do that trade every time.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Oh really, did you know Ed Reed was going to be Ed Reed before he was drafted? This entire thing is a lottery.

Ed Reed was one of the best ball hawking safeties in the history of football. Not only was he a ball-hawk, but he was a homing missile capable of lights out hits.. He was a high level starter day-1. He was the best safety in his draft and a once in a generation talent.

Ramsey may be a better athlete and wind up a great player, but his pedigree isn't a quarter of what Reed's was coming out.

Also, everything about the draft is opinion right now. Do I really need to add a "In my opinion" disclaimer?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone who saw Randy Moss play in his prime can make the claim that a Elliot can have that type of impact. I don't think DMurray had a RMoss type impact in 2014 and he rushed for 1800 yards...how many yards does Elliot need to hit to have a Moss type impact?

It's hard to say that Elliott will have the same impact as Randy Moss, especially since Elliott hasn't played a down of professional football. :D

erod

Reaction score
Unless the Chargers trade out of their pick, Ezekiel Elliott will be wearing the :starspin:.

I'm about 99.9% certain of it*.

*But I reserve the right to change my prediction after the Cowboys' pick is made. ;)

I wish I shared your certainty. I hope so.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Passing on Zeke is the RB equivalent to passing on Randy Moss... Except Zeke is a tremendous character/team guy... I think we make the biggest mistake we have in the draft in a long time.

Except that at the time the Vikings drafted Randy Moss, it was the equivalent of Dallas singing Greg Hardy last year.