Cleveland police refuse to participate in Browns’ national anthem

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Well it was the Brown's organization in my scenario, and not waving flags, just patches on their jerseys. I am not sure what extra context there would be? The police have the same reaction to that exercise of free speech as they do to players actions during the anthem...would you still view it as ironic or hypocritical?

Maybe your intent is to shut the thread down by turning the conversation incendiary but I'm not going to take the bait.

As much fun as it would be to discuss a scenario where a Midwest NFL team decides to incorporate **** symbology into their team uniforms with absolutely no further reasoning beyond that, I'm going to go ahead and pass.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I do not that is their only way of protest any other way puts peoples lives at danger. Imagine if police said they would no longer patrol, or provide security in the parking lot etc. Everyone has a right to express their displeasure civilly but exercising that right does not prevent you from any consequences associated with that expression of displeasure.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

I will say, however, that the union hasn't said the officers won't be providing security. This is just about the flag presentation on opening day.

They aren't so belligerent as to put people at risk in response to this by refusing to do their jobs.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So not standing for the national anthem should draw the same reaction as wearing **** paraphernalia?

I'll say this, if a player wore something indicating they wanted dead cops, I'd be just as against that as **** paraphernalia.

It's not about that. It's about the argument he made about the freedom of speech.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Maybe your intent is to shut the thread down by turning the conversation incendiary but I'm not going to take the bait.

As much fun as it would be to discuss a scenario where a Midwest NFL team decides to incorporate **** symbology into their team uniforms with absolutely no further reasoning beyond that, I'm going to go ahead and pass.

So, it's not the free speech conflict you have an issue with so much as the topic of said free speech that they take issue with. Got it. Thanks for confirming.

Dodger12

Reaction score
So the cops can choose to not participate, but still choose to be cops.

But Kaepernick can choose to not stand for the anthem, but then can NOT choose to still play?

You don't see the hypocrisy in that statement?

You try to define things by your terms and then debate those terms, rather than what was said. A couple of things here. First, working the flag ceremony is probably voluntary for the cop. They chose not to do it and I can't blame them. I wouldn't either if I was going to be insulted by idiots who claim to stand for a cause of social justice while while cashing million dollar checks and wearing a Fidel Castro t-shirt. That's all you need to see to understand that Kap is an idiot. Second, Kap represents a company. The stadium and the uniform is not a place for you to politicize your beliefs that very well may run contrary to that of your employer and certainly a large part of your fan base. Kap can choose to do it and the Browns can allow him and others to insult people and the national symbol but there are consequences and he's probably dealing with them now looking for a job.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So, it's not the free speech conflict you have an issue with so much as the topic of said free speech that they take issue with. Got it. Thanks for confirming.

lol, okay Mr "What if the Browns were ****'s". You sure figured me out.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
lol, okay Mr "What if the Browns were ****'s". You sure figured me out.

Your reluctance to answer makes it pretty clear. Either it's about being hypocritical about free speech or it's. Now, if it is, then the content of that free speech should be irrelevant. If it is, then you should still be equally critical of them in either situation.

If it's not, and it's about how you view the stance of the players, then that is fine, just be honest about it.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I find it amusing that at a fundamental level, the officers are saying that they are mad the Browns are letting their players exercise the very rights they claim to stand for.

"How dare you use the rights I claim to stand for!" makes zero sense as a counter argument.

Even the idea of giving up on carrying the flag makes no sense. Are they protesting the American flag now?

So disrespectful of the anthem and the troops!

Lol.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
What does the flag have to do with the Browns organization? Did the Browns found America?

I don't care if the officers feel offended and voiced that, but saying they aren't going to carry a physical representation of America because people are exercising the rights of Americans feels like arguing against yourself.

It's literally the funniest **** that I've read all week.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything you said.

I will say, however, that the union hasn't said the officers won't be providing security. This is just about the flag presentation on opening day.

They aren't so belligerent as to put people at risk in response to this by refusing to do their jobs.
Technically parading around the field holding a flag is not their job. They were asked to do it and declined

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Technically parading around the field holding a flag is not their job. They were asked to do it and declined

Reread what I wrote, I didn't say holding the flag is their job.

I'm talking about the officers there to work security, who are still going to do so even if some of them aren't going to take part in the flag ceremony.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Good for the cops and first responders. Why would they take the flag out only for the flag and those carrying it to be insulted and disrespected by the Brown's players and organization? They don't want to be a part of it and I agree with them.

The anthem is played at every game. While people like you are standing at attention, thousands of people are either checking their phones, going to the bathroom, buying a beer, stepping outside of Jerryworld for a last minute smoke, and assorted other things that are far more disrespectful than guys taking a knee.

Are you and these cops offended by all of that, or just the black guys taking a knee? I'm asking because I've never seen this sort of faux outrage prior to the knee thing.

ghst187

Reaction score
I understand your frustration, but politics and sports have been inextricably linked since the dawn of time. If it's not this, it'll be something else.
The league needs to grow a pair and shut the little idiotic protests down. They have the ability but not the backbone. The league doesn't have to allow it, they can enact a policy that all their employees will stand and respect the flag and anthem. It's not within the rights of the players as long as they are on company time in company uniform acting as a company representative. Players can do ANYTHING they like "off the clock". I'm most insulted personally by how idiotic the protest is to begin with....disrespect the anthem to protest racism...? Disrespect the nation's symbol, the one that literally tore itself apart to end racism and allows the players to make millions to play a game? Seems misguided at best.
Rest assured the league would grow some backbone and institute an immediate ban if a bunch of white players decided to dis the anthem for white supremacy.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
If the players have the right to be disrespectful to the country that earns most of them millions of dollars per year then the police have that same right to refuse to hold the flag so the players can disrespect it.

Teams that have players that want to disrespect the flag can do so in the locker room while the anthem is played for patriotic fans on the field and stop giving them the limelight that crave.

I think this country has enough issues to deal without creating more.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this protest of not standing for the national anthem is going tobe costly for both the players and the league it will cost the league money and viewership the ratings will drop I so hate to see politics get involved in a sports entertainment league but both sides do it

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Goodell is letting this get way out of hand. If HE doesn't put a stop to it now, it will lead to fan riots after these games. These player's are ignorant for using it on the NFL platform. Fans come to see the games to get away from all the political crap along with every day pressures of life which non of these millionaires have any idea about. I'm sure they don't protest on THEIR time, so why do it on OURS, the fans?!