Cleveland police refuse to participate in Browns’ national anthem

Dodger12

Reaction score
The anthem is played at every game. While people like you are standing at attention, thousands of people are either checking their phones, going to the bathroom, buying a beer, stepping outside of Jerryworld for a last minute smoke, and assorted other things that are far more disrespectful than guys taking a knee.

Are you and these cops offended by all of that, or just the black guys taking a knee? I'm asking because I've never seen this sort of faux outrage prior to the knee thing.

Folks like you want to make it a black/white thing and that's BS. It's disrespectful regardless of the ethnicity of the player. Maybe you think being caught in a beer line or restroom line is more disrespectful than protesting the flag and/or wearing socks depicting cops as pigs but I (and many others) don't.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Folks like you want to make it a black/white thing and that's BS. It's disrespectful regardless of the ethnicity of the player. Maybe you think being caught in a beer line or restroom line is more disrespectful than protesting the flag and/or wearing socks depicting cops as pigs but I (and many others) don't.

It's disrespectful because of the reason they're taking a knee, is what you mean.

If a guy took a knee because his sister died of cancer and he wanted to use that as a moment to bring awareness, no one would be offended.

paladin

Reaction score
I think your view of democracy is a little skewed

Therefore things should not be done just because the majority want it if it tramples on the rights of a minority

Where did I say that I desired their constitutional rights removed?
I was merely stating what Americans seemed to desire in the entertainment hours.

paladin

Reaction score
Sports aren't a sitcom, that's why we watch them.

If I wanted to see actors stick to a script so I could feel warm and fuzzy, I'd watch The Big Bang Theory.

The idea that you think taking a knee in prayer during the anthem following Charlotsville is a SJW issue is kind of a joke though, I hope.

Again, I was really clearly speaking to what Americans seem to desire in their entertainment hours.

paladin

Reaction score
If a guy took a knee because his sister died of cancer and he wanted to use that as a moment to bring awareness, no one would be offended.
This is America
Someone would be offended
Probably a pro-cancer lobbist.

Dodger12

Reaction score
It's disrespectful because of the reason they're taking a knee, is what you mean.

Man, just stop. I don't care the reason they're taking a knee. Taking a knee in this instance is a symbolic statement against the flag and country. Reason be damned. It's like me being mad at one friend and taking it out on another. If you want to draw attention to a cause, start a non-profit; march in protest, etc. But using the flag and, to a lesser extent, the game and uniform to draw attention to your cause is completely misguided.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Man, just stop. I don't care the reason they're taking a knee.

Uh huh.

How do you feel about the police officers not showing up, essentially taking a knee, for the flag ceremony at Browns stadium next weekend?

You know they play the anthem during that, right?

Dodger12

Reaction score
Uh huh.

How do you feel about the police officers not showing up, essentially taking a knee, for the flag ceremony at Browns stadium next weekend?

You know they play the anthem during that, right?

Your logic is so screwed up you can't see or think straight. The police choose to not be disrespected by idiots so they chose to not participate but somehow you equate that with taking a knee? Really? I wouldn't participate in the silliness either. They will be there doing their job and providing security for the venue if that's where the PD assigns them on their duty shift.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The anthem is played at every game. While people like you are standing at attention, thousands of people are either checking their phones, going to the bathroom, buying a beer, stepping outside of Jerryworld for a last minute smoke, and assorted other things that are far more disrespectful than guys taking a knee.

Are you and these cops offended by all of that, or just the black guys taking a knee? I'm asking because I've never seen this sort of faux outrage prior to the knee thing.

People doing things out of ignorance and the fact that the audience is not required to do anything.

Reaction score
Your logic is so screwed up you can't see or think straight. The police choose to not be disrespected by idiots so they chose to not participate but somehow you equate that with taking a knee? Really? I wouldn't participate in the silliness either. They will be there doing their job and providing security for the venue if that's where the PD assigns them on their duty shift.
you're wasting your time here going back and forth. Unfortunately there are people out there who just want to be angry. They'll cherry pick your messages to support their convoluted positions - they not interested in a fair, honest discussion.

ghst187

Reaction score
It's fair to say you don't want players making political displays during sporting events, even though it'll never stop, it's another to say standing against racism is the same as standing for white supremacy.

If you think they are one and the same, you're either ignorant or belligerent.

I'm sure a lot of people that believe that also would have said racism doesn't exist anymore the day before Charlottesville.

I'm saying the league doesn't have the guts to stop it even though it's bad to their image and business. And I'm saying part of them not having guts to stop it has to do with the same pc environment and forces that are running wild on college campuses. There's a heavy racist bias in one certain direction.
The other point was that I fail to see how disrespecting the anthem is somehow protesting police violence against minorities, which is what it started as. So they're saying in essence that the flag, nation, and everything it stands for and by is inherently racist? That's either ignorant or belligerent but mostly just incorrect.

Dodger12

Reaction score
you're wasting your time here going back and forth. Unfortunately there are people out there who just want to be angry. They'll cherry pick your messages to support their convoluted positions - they not interested in a fair, honest discussion.

Unfortunately, you're right. And it's devolving to places the thread shouldn't go. It's too bad though because this is news worth discussing. I'm curious is soldiers would be "ordered" to take the place of the officers or even if some officers would volunteer and go against the union. The Pandora's Box opened by the NFL on this issue is endless.

It's also kind of funny to me that Cleveland is the poster child for franchise failure. You'd think the team would not want to further alienate their fan-base. Why go to a stadium and pay good money to not only see such an inferior product, year after year, but also to deal with this BS.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The NFL bans any kind of emblem on the uniform for any cause except the ones they sponsor but they'll let players take a knee for a cause. Don't make sense.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

You're the one that trapped yourself, don't get mad at me.

You claim it doesn't matter why anyone protests during the sanctity of the anthem, in an attempt to seem like you're taking a hard line on anyone making any statements during the anthem, including taking a knee to bring awareness to cancer.

Then turn around and say there's nothing wrong with cops making a statement by refusing to participate in the national anthem flag ceremony.

But no, you're right, let's talk about how my logic is the one that's flawed.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Are you replying on what you think, or is actually true? IMO, your posting what you think he is. Again, he is NOT black. Kaepernick was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He is of mixed race African American and European. Show me some links that back up your replies. In the mean time here's mine. Has nothing to do with whose right or whose wrong, I just post what my sig says.

https://mic.com/articles/24561/coli...ou-need-to-know-about-the-49ers-qb#.RDR5IgdoG

Are you replying on what you think, or is actually true?

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/colin-kaepernicks-parents-break-silence-absolutely-support/story?id=44102995

The parents of embattled San Francisco 49ersquarterback Colin Kaepernick have broken their silence on their son's decision to kneel for the playing of the national anthem this season.

"Colin is carrying a heavy load and following a difficult path that he truly believes in. He is putting his entire future and possibly his life on the line for those beliefs," Teresa and Rick Kaepernick wrote in a statement addressed to The Undefeated on Friday. "As his parents, it pains us to read articles and tweets saying that his family does not support him; this could not be further from the truth. We want people to know that we are very proud of our son and admire his strength and courage in kneeling for the rights of others."

And his father was a black man, I know you don't understand and don't really care to but in American he is considered a black man

EST_1986

Reaction score
The people are choosing not to be disrespected by idiot police as well. It goes both ways.

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score

So, what of the veterans that agree with Kaep? Or the veterans who feel they fought for his right to do that, and see no issue? Is their service considered less than those who did serve but are offended? Is it less than those who haven't served and are offended?

visionary

Reaction score

Good point