Coach Charles Weis "Dallas Only Needs A TE"

skinsscalper

Reaction score
In 2017 draft I wish we would have drafted George Kittle in the 4th instead of Switzer
Me too, brother (and 31 other teams), but every draft has these stories. Hell we drafted our HOF TE in the 3rd round.

But if we're going to lament, let's go big time and take that kid at QB from Michigan in the 6th round a couple of decades ago. What was his name again................

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I sign Tyler Eifert as an insurance policy and let the draft come to them. If a guy slides to a certain spot and they wanna trade up by all means do so cause this window everyone was talking about closes in 2021 in not sooner.

Eifert has missed 55% of the games over his 6 seasons, so he's unreliable. Jarwin and Schultz are young guys that started showing something late in the season, and especially if Swaim comes back I think they will be fine. With that, if a truly top TE falls in their lap during the draft, that's great, but if not, no need to stretch for a TE.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Coach Weis who created NE's potent offense was on 105.3 The Fan this morning and was asked about his assessment of Dallas. He said he loved Dak in college and said he was one of thee toughest QBs he's ever seen. He said Dak was a winner.

He said our defense was good and our two young LBs were outstanding.

We have the league leading RB and a great OL, and that's the key to our offense. We should continue to pound the ball.

The only thing missing is a TE, and things will fall into place.

We had our future hall of famer in 2017, and it didn't help. I keep with what I've been saying: that we are only a quarterback away. That'll piss off the Dak crowd, but the way I see it, that quarterback away could easily be Dak if he improves in the offseason.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speaking of the Eagles, how damned far would they have gotten this season without the TE position? Hell, Ertz was 70 percent of their offense (especially before Wince went down).
TE's were huge for the Eagles this year (not 70%, but huge), but for the Rams the TE's weren't much of a factor at all - less yardage than the Cowboys TE's. There are multiple ways to skin a cat, and the Cowboys TEs were in there first year seeing NFL action. If we can find a top tier TE without stretching, then great, but otherwise I think we will be fine.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
TE's were huge for the Eagles this year (not 70%, but huge), but for the Rams the TE's weren't much of a factor at all - less yardage than the Cowboys TE's. There are multiple ways to skin a cat, and the Cowboys TEs were in there first year seeing NFL action. If we can find a top tier TE without stretching, then great, but otherwise I think we will be fine.
I was using hyperbole when talking about the 70% with Ertz (however, I think at one point, he was over 50% of their passing production). There were rumblings within the locker room and fan base that Wentz needed to look at other options in the passing game. Their WRs were MIA, for the most part, while he was under center. The WRs were singing the praises of Foles when he was re-inserted because they were actually part of the game plan.

Yes, the Rams have had decent success without outstanding numbers from the TE position. The Chiefs are slightly more dangerous because of the TE position. As you said, there are more than one way to skin a cat and this particular Cowboys offense is more effective with solid contributions from the position. Face it, we won't be running a Rams-type scheme for a while, around here.

GMO415

Reaction score
Granted NE has a great QB, but that offense has lasted the test of time. It has changed over the years, but I could see that two TE offense working here.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I understand, and can appreciate, that there may be more to the story with James than just the overall yardage number, but that also applies to Jarwin and Schultz as well. This was their first season, and they weren't incorporated into the game plan much of the season due to the team using Swaim (the veteran with all of 7 catches before 2018) and because, well, I'm not sure why the team wasn't making the effort. The last 4-5 games of the season they were targeted much more, and the results were notable. And they are just in their first season, so they have room to get better. In all, I don't know that there is enough evidence of Jesse James being a significant enough upgrade to pay for him in a competitive bid situation. I know he won't be high dollar, but it will still take more than it takes to re-sign Swaim, and will likely require a multi year commitment.

I like Jarwin and Schultz, that's why out of the 4 TE's we currently have those are the two I wouldn't replace.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Except Jarwin caught 3 TD's down the seam in one game..He should and most likely will get more chances next year.
Yep, I hope we face the Giants third string defense in a meaningless game all year long.

Or we can get better at the tight end position and stop solely relying on hope?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was using hyperbole when talking about the 70% with Ertz (however, I think at one point, he was over 50% of their passing production). There were rumblings within the locker room and fan base that Wentz needed to look at other options in the passing game. Their WRs were MIA, for the most part, while he was under center. The WRs were singing the praises of Foles when he was re-inserted because they were actually part of the game plan.

Yes, the Rams have had decent success without outstanding numbers from the TE position. The Chiefs are slightly more dangerous because of the TE position. As you said, there are more than one way to skin a cat and this particular Cowboys offense is more effective with solid contributions from the position. Face it, we won't be running a Rams-type scheme for a while, around here.

I know you weren't being literal with the 70%. I agree the Cowboys need more contribution than they got from the TEs this past season, but we can't forget there was just barely above zero experience with our TEs this year. Swaim had played some as a non-pass catching backup to Witten, and the other 3 were seeing the very first NFL action of their careers. I would love to have an Ertz or Kelse, but those don't grow on trees In the absence of that, there is room for significant improvement even with what we have.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Jarwin and Schultz, that's why out of the 4 TE's we currently have those are the two I wouldn't replace.
I get that, and I would love to have James to solidify the depth of the position, but the question is if he isn't clearly an upgrade is he worth the cost and the multi-year contract he will likely want? Swaim could solidify depth for less money and less of a time commitment.

shabazz

Reaction score
Coach Weis who created NE's potent offense was on 105.3 The Fan this morning and was asked about his assessment of Dallas. He said he loved Dak in college and said he was one of thee toughest QBs he's ever seen. He said Dak was a winner.

He said our defense was good and our two young LBs were outstanding.

We have the league leading RB and a great OL, and that's the key to our offense. We should continue to pound the ball.

The only thing missing is a TE, and things will fall into place.

So when he says Dakota is a winner the Dakbots giggle like schoolgirls but when this article says that we have a great offensive line, there’s nothing but crickets. I thought the reason Prescotta is struggling is because the offensive line can’t protect him. Talk about cherry picking an article to boost the boy blunder.. this article is worthless because it fails to address the fact that Rayne-man is one of the main reasons the passing stats are dragging this offense down.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I understand, and can appreciate, that there may be more to the story with James than just the overall yardage number, but that also applies to Jarwin and Schultz as well. This was their first season, and they weren't incorporated into the game plan much of the season due to the team using Swaim (the veteran with all of 7 catches before 2018) and because, well, I'm not sure why the team wasn't making the effort. The last 4-5 games of the season they were targeted much more, and the results were notable. And they are just in their first season, so they have room to get better. In all, I don't know that there is enough evidence of Jesse James being a significant enough upgrade to pay for him in a competitive bid situation. I know he won't be high dollar, but it will still take more than it takes to re-sign Swaim, and will likely require a multi year commitment.

Jarwin and schultz cant block, plain and simple. thats a huge part of the offense Dallas runs. This IMO contributed to the sacks. Witten blocking was like having an extra OL out there.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarwin and schultz cant block, plain and simple. thats a huge part of the offense Dallas runs. This IMO contributed to the sacks. Witten blocking was like having an extra OL out there.

I agree blocking is not a strong suit for Jarwin, although he seemed to get better as the season went on. I think Schultz can block - he did a lot of it in college, and it was considered a strength in college. We saw a few struggles with it early on, but like with Jarwin it improved over the season. Neither is a "knock players on their butt" kind of blocker, but how many TEs are? Swaim is also considered a good blocker, and that's part of why I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

I looked up the draft profile on Jesse James, and it was not at all complementary of his blocking, and really not even much as a receiver. I also noticed his 40 time at the combine was 4.83.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because they are dime a dozen guys.

A TE that commands attention would make everyone better.

Our TEs are just an after thought for defenses and that is why they have any success.
How many tight ends in this league commons attention? A handful?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I totally agree. I thought both Jarwin and Schultz improved and really stepped up as the season went along. Both came through when they were called upon later in the season. I think Swaim's injury actually benefited both of them. And I'm eager to see the improvement either or both will show next year. I'm not interested in using one of our top draft picks in 2019 on another one.
I agree......upgrading tight end is just the popular thing to say. There are other positions that have a greater need.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Don’t think it’s hate. Lot of folks were pleasantly surprised towards the end of the season. That’s not difficult when the most experienced guy on the roster had 7 career catches though. An upgrade at TE should be a given to look at, and there are some attractive options in this draft
I think my feeling is there isn’t much better you are going to find out there unless it’s a veteran.