Coaching has a bullseye on them now

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Well, more specifically, the offensive staff has a bullseye on them now.

Now, more than ever, they are going to have to game plan and scheme an offensive system that can move the ball and score points. Even with the addition of Williams along the OL, in the NFL, you can't just line up and run the ball 40 times a game and expect to win. They are going to have to come up with a passing game that meshes with Prescott and do so with a roster of #2 type and in the case of guys like Gallup, Brown, even Austin, that are unknowns.

Initial expectations around here seem to be that we should be a playoff team in 2018, however, I wonder if as the season progresses and the team scuffles, will people blame all the "new" personnel on offense.

Garrett and company have an opportunity to shut a lot of people up, including myself, if they can turn this team in a playoff team and cobble together a very good offense. Taking what we have on offense and doing that would be a very good accomplishment.

I agree Syd. All eyes on JG and SL. I assume we've improved the O-line and the O-line coach we hired has a very good track record. He has to sort through the new guys and put the best 5 out there. That has yet to be established. The WR core is revamped with more speed and seemingly better route running skills for Dak. Lal has to sort through the log-jam at WR. Now the play calling and offensive scheme HAS to change to use that group of WR's better. Dak has to improve on 2017 and that SHOULD happen with an improved (hopefully) left side of the O-line. The offense SEEMS more Dak-friendly. Now it's on the offensive coaches, Garrett, Linnehan, Alexander, Lal, the TE coach and Mini-me Moore to get their **** together. Anything less than 10-6 and at least one playoff game won't cut it for SL or JG job security

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Now, more than ever, they are going to have to game plan and scheme an offensive system that can move the ball and score points. Even with the addition of Williams along the OL, in the NFL, you can't just line up and run the ball 40 times a game and expect to win. They are going to have to come up with a passing game that meshes with Prescott and do so with a roster of #2 type and in the case of guys like Gallup, Brown, even Austin, that are unknowns.

Initial expectations around here seem to be that we should be a playoff team in 2018, however, I wonder if as the season progresses and the team scuffles, will people blame all the "new" personnel on offense.

Garrett and company have an opportunity to shut a lot of people up, including myself, if they can turn this team in a playoff team and cobble together a very good offense. Taking what we have on offense and doing that would be a very good accomplishment.

It's funny that the only ones saying any coaches are on the hot seat are disgruntled fans and fortunately for the coaches their opinions don't have any bearing on whether they keep their jobs or not.

Reaction score

The bullseye is on Dak too,,, he couldn't run the full offense successfully last year. If he can't be successful with a new offense reconfigured to match his strengths then the team may need a new QB. Marinelli needs to produce a decent defense too now that he's getting hand-picked players to run it.

Falco78

Reaction score
I fully expect us to not make any huge leaps as we have the same idiots leading

Sydla

Reaction score
It's funny that the only ones saying any coaches are on the hot seat are disgruntled fans and fortunately for the coaches their opinions don't have any bearing on whether they keep their jobs or not.

His seat will be extremely hot if they fail to make the playoffs again.

kevm3

Reaction score
I'd love to believe that, but the fieldwork has already been laid to blame dak if this season is a failure.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think the defensive staff has a bigger bullseye on them. After lobbying for and getting a 1st round LB (and as stacked as you have to be to act like a 43 LB is your last big need, worthy of 1st round resources)? A full season of Lawrence and Irving? And all that pressure riding on building on early promise and turning the secondary pics from last year, Lewis and Awuzie and Woods, into a rock-solid unit? And the pressure riding on developing Taco? After two years of resisting the urge to spend 1st rounders on offense, Jerry probably expects us to have a lights-out defense as a reward for spending those picks on defense.

If the offense underwhelms, the losses of Dez and Witten will be the excuse they trot out, and it’ll be heard and find some traction with the Joneses. If the defense craps out, I think the team won’t even want to hear their excuses.

Most players are professional and don't whine and most believe they could have done more or better to get to the Super Bowl. There are exceptions like Bryant but he's gone now. Now I also think every player wants to win the Super Bowl but if they don't there aren't 31 teams of nothing but whining players. The biggest whiners are the fans.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
His seat will be extremely hot if they fail to make the playoffs again.

Until there's even the slightest hint from management which there hasn't been, it's just disgruntled fans hoping for change.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'd love to believe that, but the fieldwork has already been laid to blame dak if this season is a failure.

Since the coaches and Jones love Prescott that's just another fan assumption that Prescott will be any kind of fall guy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we agree that 8 years is more then enough time for a coach to have had some and if not then it's time for change?

It all depends on the circumstances. This wasn’t a playoff team for each of the seven previous seasons. The ones where it was, we didn’t lose the playoff games because of the coaching.

Sydla

Reaction score
Until there's even the slightest hint from management which there hasn't been, it's just disgruntled fans hoping for change.

Most quality teams don't "hint" at changing head coaches. They just make changes.

So if you think they won't make a change because they haven't telegraphed it, then you haven't been paying attention.

kevm3

Reaction score
Since the coaches and Jones love Prescott that's just another fan assumption that Prescott will be any kind of fall guy.
Except the coach publicly saying dak has to get better in every way isnt a fan assumption and we have already cut all the so called bad apples from the team, so someone will have to take the fall.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It all depends on the circumstances. This wasn’t a playoff team for each of the seven previous seasons. The ones where it was, we didn’t lose the playoff games because of the coaching.

There is just no examples of a coach having this much time and ever turning it around.

He had one of the best QB's in the NFL for most of his coaching career and had 1 playoff win to show for it.

The guy is just not good. He really offers nothing.

Watching all or nothing it's pretty much what you would expect. He just begs for effort. It's all about effort with him.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think you guys that are wanting a complete scheme change are not going to be very happy. Coaches rarely change their scheme. It's what they believe in, so they build their team around their scheme, not the other way around. They can and will add elements to the scheme, they will and have made adjustments to the scheme, but they will not change the scheme. They have invested a lot of resources into the OL and RB, so they will be a run first team. So the passing game will be a compliment to that, that is why you get a lot 5-10 yard routes because if you are good at running the ball, you should be in 3rd and less than 10. When we stay on schedule and in front of the chains, this offense is pretty darn productive and good. It's when we have negative plays or penalties that we struggle, because we just don't have a lot of 15-20 yard routes to fall back on.

I think you have seen a shift in the type of WR that is needed for this. We have now solid route runners and guys that can get separation quick. I am excited to see what we do this year. But I am not expecting for us to line up in 4 wide and sling the rock all over the field. We will dominate the run and ask Dak to make 5-10 yard throws to move the chain, with the occasional intermediate to long ball when the situation is right.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah, like that!
some Defenses called us out, saying we only run a few plays.

Well that is Garrett trying to be like the 90's teams.

they had basically 4 running plays. the lead draw being the bread and butter. Basically they lined upped and said you know what is coming so stop us. It is just a matter of each player beating their guy, and they were extremely efficient at it, and was rarely stopped on a consistent basis.

Well it worked back then, but not as well now. Which is why this offense needs an overhaul.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
There is just no examples of a coach having this much time and ever turning it around.

He had one of the best QB's in the NFL for most of his coaching career and had 1 playoff win to show for it.

The guy is just not good. He really offers nothing.

Watching all or nothing it's pretty much what you would expect. He just begs for effort. It's all about effort with him.
If the reality show didn't invite a different perspective from the one you constantly arrive at, nothing will.