Coaching has a bullseye on them now

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Whatever the Eagles, Rams, Pat's run. If you think our offense is anything like these teams you're kidding yourself. I'm not saying even to copy them, I'm saying don't use a 90s scheme that relies on the talents of players alone
Speaking of trees, have you been smoking some?
Seriously though I think what you mean is scheme, not the actual host of routes.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Team just hasn't been trying hard enough. They need to try harder and give more effort. Push them that way, that way, that way!
That certainly could be said for a few players off the top of my head.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Speaking of trees, have you been smoking some?
Seriously though I think what you mean is scheme, not the actual host of routes.

Didnt know trees could be smoked, but yeah I mean scheme. At the gym, not thinking thoughts through before posting, but basically whatever we're running isn't working

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Didnt know trees could be smoked, but yeah I mean scheme. At the gym, not thinking thoughts through before posting, but basically whatever we're running isn't working
OK, well that isn't a route tree, so we're clear.

Sydla

Reaction score
I watched Skip & Shannon on FS1 today, and BOTH of them were down on our draft. The Cowboy hater, predictably, gave us a "D", and Skippy whined his way to a "C", I suspect mostly to garner support from the huge crowd of Dallashaters, as well as $timulate debate for his handler$' benefit.

Some of their rationales for why they gave bad grades were hilarious.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It all depends on the circumstances. This wasn’t a playoff team for each of the seven previous seasons. The ones where it was, we didn’t lose the playoff games because of the coaching.
Uhhhh, yeah, we did.

Seasons we didn't make the playoffs, games were winnable if coaching had been where it needed to be.

Sorry but I would have to see some very real & tangible changes to game planning, in game adjustments, time management, etc., to give any members of the "old" regime coaching staff any slack at the end of the coming season. They have had more than enough time to show their merits & failed.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uhhhh, yeah, we did.

Seasons we didn't make the playoffs, games were winnable if coaching had been where it needed to be.

Sorry but I would have to see some very real & tangible changes to game planning, in game adjustments, time management, etc., to give any members of the "old" regime coaching staff any slack at the end of the coming season. They have had more than enough time to show their merits & failed.

Well, that's certainly not an unpopular opinion here.

I don't deny that we could second guess things that happened in the 8-8 seasons that could have turned a game or two around. Those teams weren't playoff caliber rosters, though. We were lucky to be playing relevant football in week 17 each of those seasons.

Plankton

Reaction score
I think the coaching staff had a bullseye on it the minute the season ended without a playoff berth, and they turned over 2/3 of the staff. I don't think that any of them can feel comfortable at this point.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i truly think that garrett has to start winning soon eventually there comes a time when u have built and built and you have to see the results I just don't Stephen will not handle excuses for why they don't win much longer the nfl is a results league and eventually the head coach has to have results in the playoff excuses be danged

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Most quality teams don't "hint" at changing head coaches. They just make changes.

So if you think they won't make a change because they haven't telegraphed it, then you haven't been paying attention.

Then you're really slow at picking up little hints GM's and/or owners make when a coach is on the hot seat. It's some fans nature to whine and complain so when those say this coach or that coach is on the hot seat I just consider the source.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Except the coach publicly saying dak has to get better in every way isnt a fan assumption and we have already cut all the so called bad apples from the team, so someone will have to take the fall.

Actually what he has said is Prescott has to improve from last season which I doubt there are many people that don't agree. Unlike some fans that turn on a player just like that, Jones and Garrett remember and realize Prescott was the NFL offensive rookie of the year and don't even think about throwing him out with the dirty dish water after one very good year and one not as good year. Right now, it's some fans who think Prescott is on the hot seat and that means nothing in reality.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Whatever the Eagles, Rams, Pat's run. If you think our offense is anything like these teams you're kidding yourself. I'm not saying even to copy them, I'm saying don't use a 90s scheme that relies on the talents of players alone

This might be a new concept for you but no matter what play is called ultimately it is the players talent that determines whether a play works or not.

pitt33

Reaction score
I've said it numerous times on here but I hope they bring in Art Briles again to consult and help build an offense. If Hurns, Gallop and company are running 8 yard timing button hooks again this team is doomed.
Totally on board with you on those short timing patterns. Linehan and company need to stretch the field. I believe it’s imperative.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So the difference between Jeff Fisher lead Goff and Mcvay lead Goff was just the qb working a little harder? The game plan had nothing to do with it?

I guess for you I have to break it down even simpler for you to understand. It doesn't matter whatever play in whatever formation in whatever game plan is being used, ultimately it's the players talent that decides if any play works. There can be the best game plan and a play called in the best formation but if the players don't have the talent to carry out their assignments then the play ultimately doesn't work.

Sydla

Reaction score
Then you're really slow at picking up little hints GM's and/or owners make when a coach is on the hot seat. It's some fans nature to whine and complain so when those say this coach or that coach is on the hot seat I just consider the source.

Really.

What hint did the Eagles owner give when he surprisingly canned Chip Kelly a couple of years ago?

Some coaching changes are obvious. Some are not. Just because you think the Cowboys haven't given hints they won't make a change doesn't mean they won't make change, especially if 2018 is a non-playoff year again and/or say they win 6 games or something like that.