Cole Beasley. wrong to let him go?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know we have discussed him and his behavior before he moved on.

But he has had a very good year with 967 yards and made Allen a top level QB in 2020 helping get them into the playoffs.

Allen has certainly liked him as a Go To Guy..

So my question is did we make a mistake in trading for Cooper and us giving Cooper the money. Add to that also having to pay the big price tag to Cooper when we resigned him and trading a #1 pick to acquire him.

I liked Beasley and thought he was a stealthy weapon who made big plays when he was with us. His play in Buffalo has been impressive with Allen.

And when you factor in drafting CeeDee this year it has forced us to invest another #1 pick in him to fix Cobbs departure in 2019.

Quite a domino effect leaving me thinking we should have re-signed him thus needing not to reinvest a #1 pick in CeeDee to repair the damage at slot.

So 2 1st Rd picks in 2018 and again in 2019 that maybe should have been used on defense might have left us way better off.

But then again in the old Garrett regime, no matter what we did under Marrinelli and his limitations with Richard we could not draft defense at all (ie Trystan Hill and Taco Charlton high pick failures.)

So my point is as insistent as we all are in supporting our positions on player decisions we have made decisions that left us looking a little lacking.

Can we avoid that going forward with McCarthy?

I certainly hope so because we can not keep replacing missed players with trades and #1 picks.

And we can not win with guys like Dalton Smith and Gerald McCoy and Ha Ha Clinton Dix who are past their prime bodies to patch the mistakes.

Thoughts?
this was more inept OC and Head coaching not being able to know how to really utilize Beasley. the stoic run on first down, no-motion offensive attack of Linehan and garrett's incompetence to make necessary changes led us here. but even with that, keep in mind that beasley is greatly benefiting from Diggs. so we would just not need to sign Cobb and waste money/time with him, instead still trade for cooper and keep beasley...I don't put Gallup in the same category as a #1 WR, who will demand double teams, as Diggs does. so Gallup/Beasley combo would not have been as effective....

and I wish we would have drafted defense last year.....and I hope this year we draft 10 defensive players and no offense and I would be fine with that.

bodi

Reaction score
its a business let him walk wanted to much money

khiladi

Reaction score
Do the stats support that? :omg:

Beasley is having a ridiculous year. He has 82 receptions and 967 yards, with 4 TDs at 11.8 yards per catch.

Gallup has 59 receptions, 5 TDs at 14.3 yards per threat. Gallup basically runs a lot of deep routes. Gallup was leading the league at 71 go routes three months ago.

Beasley is a much more diverse WR. Completely different..

One telling indicator is how much more impactful Beasley is on grass. Gallup is a big play guy, but on grass he has 7 receptions for 61 yards. I think they played a total of three games. That’s an 8.7 average for a big play guy. Gallup is 52 receptions at 782 yards at around 15 YPC. Gallup is basically getting his on faster turfs.

Beasley on the other hand is 506 yards at 42 receptions at 12 YPC. Obviously, the Bills play on grass at home, but his YPC is just as good at home.

https://insidethestar.com/michael-gallup-has-been-one-of-the-nfls-best-deep-threats-in-2020/

Last edited:

Big D

Reaction score
I know we have discussed him and his behavior before he moved on.

But he has had a very good year with 967 yards and made Allen a top level QB in 2020 helping get them into the playoffs.

Allen has certainly liked him as a Go To Guy..

So my question is did we make a mistake in trading for Cooper and us giving Cooper the money. Add to that also having to pay the big price tag to Cooper when we resigned him and trading a #1 pick to acquire him.

I liked Beasley and thought he was a stealthy weapon who made big plays when he was with us. His play in Buffalo has been impressive with Allen.

And when you factor in drafting CeeDee this year it has forced us to invest another #1 pick in him to fix Cobbs departure in 2019.

Quite a domino effect leaving me thinking we should have re-signed him thus needing not to reinvest a #1 pick in CeeDee to repair the damage at slot.

So 2 1st Rd picks in 2018 and again in 2019 that maybe should have been used on defense might have left us way better off.

But then again in the old Garrett regime, no matter what we did under Marrinelli and his limitations with Richard we could not draft defense at all (ie Trystan Hill and Taco Charlton high pick failures.)

So my point is as insistent as we all are in supporting our positions on player decisions we have made decisions that left us looking a little lacking.

Can we avoid that going forward with McCarthy?

I certainly hope so because we can not keep replacing missed players with trades and #1 picks.

And we can not win with guys like Dalton Smith and Gerald McCoy and Ha Ha Clinton Dix who are past their prime bodies to patch the mistakes.

Thoughts?
HighYellowishFirefly-small.gif

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Beasley is having a ridiculous year. He has 82 receptions and 967 yards, with 4 TDs at 11.8 yards per catch.

Gallup has 59 receptions, 5 TDs at 14.3 yards per threat. Gallup basically runs a lot of deep routes. Gallup was leading the league at 71 go routes three months ago.

Beasley is a much more diverse WR. Completely different..

https://insidethestar.com/michael-gallup-has-been-one-of-the-nfls-best-deep-threats-in-2020/
That's apples and oranges. I'm talking about Beasley's time with the Cowboys compared to Gallup's time with the Cowboys. If you were keeping up, I've already stated Beasley got better after he left the Cowboys, which would not have happened if he stayed in Dallas... the coaching did not allow it.

khiladi

Reaction score
That's apples and oranges. I'm talking about Beasley's time with the Cowboys compared to Gallup's time with the Cowboys. If you were keeping up, I've already stated Beasley got better after he left the Cowboys, which would not have happened if he stayed in Dallas... the coaching did not allow it.

I added some information about grass and turf. Go look again at my post.

Also, like I said, in 2016, everybody was saying Dak made Beasley. Plenty of Dak-stans were also telling us Dak didn’t need Dez, who was causing Dak to force throws to him. What actually happened as Linehan is who made Beasley in the context of the scheme and defenders caught on. They started doubling Beasley and sitting on the routes and Dak couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, because he no longer had the Beasley valve.

Beasley had a 75 rec, 833 yard season which was almost equivalent to this year. Beasley even caught 65 here in 2018, the year Dak stans were saying it was his fault. That is 1 less reception than Gallup’s best year. Gallup has NEVER had an equivalent season in terms of receptions to Beasley.

Again, Gallup is basically running go routes in this offense, thus the yardage.

Saying the coaches didn’t allow if is not true. The QB couldn’t adjust.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Hard to look at our current WR group and come to the conclusion they should have paid Beasley.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Looking at the team now, do you really feel like they need another receiver?

He had his chance to be the guy. He showed that he couldn’t, and the team had to trade a #1 pick to get Amari Cooper. He can be a good piece on a team, but he obviously needs an actual #1 drawing attention and giving him a chance to work the slot and the sticks.

JayFord

Reaction score
I think He wanted to go and it would be difficult to keep him knowing what we have now......

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I added some information about grass and turf. Go look again at my post.

Also, like I said, in 2016, everybody was saying Dak made Beasley. Plenty of Dak-stans were also telling us Dak didn’t need Dez, who was causing Dak to force throws to him. What actually happened as Linehan is who made Beasley in the context of the scheme and defenders caught on. They started doubling Beasley and sitting on the routes and Dak couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, because he no longer had the Beasley valve.

Beasley had a 75 rec, 833 yard season which was almost equivalent to this year. Beasley even caught 65 here in 2018, the year Dak stans were saying it was his fault. That is 1 less reception than Gallup’s best year. Gallup has NEVER had an equivalent season in terms of receptions to Beasley.

Again, Gallup is basically running go routes in this offense, thus the yardage.

Saying the coaches didn’t allow if is not true. The QB couldn’t adjust.
That's your perspective. I have a different one. To me, receptions are less important than what you do with the ball once you have it. Cole's best year with the Cowboys was 2016...75 receptions, 833 yards, 5 TDs In comparison to Michael Gallups's best year so far with the Cowboys being 2019... 66 receptions, 1,107 yards, 6 TDs. Gallup does more with the ball once he has it. Like I said, leaving Dallas was good for Cole. I think he got better coaching which led to him getting better which would have never happened in Dallas.

Last edited: