Colts' LB Darius (Shaq) Leonard released

jujoboys

Reaction score
Not saying they will or won’t, but he’s not needed there. They have Warner and Greenlaw. Greenlaw already plays the Will and Warner plays the Mike
Most teams play more than 2 LBers. Why wouldn't they want Warner, Greenlaw, Leonard? Just asking. I am not sure what type of defensive personnel the 49ers like.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
49ers are ahead of the Eagles on the waiver wire list. Also, the 49ers have $39.4 million in cap space. The Eagles only have $3.3 million in CAP space. The Eagles would need to do some adjusting to take on the $6.5 million CAP hit. The 49ers could team Shaq Leonard up with Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw which would give them by far the best LBer unit in the NFL.

Agree but put nothing past the guy in charge of Personal for them, he is a willer and dealer.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I don't think he goes through the waiver process. He is a vested Vet. He should be a FA and able to sign with any team he wants.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Per colts.com

Leonard, the three-time first-team AP All-Pro, three-time Pro Bowler and 2018 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year, underwent a pair of procedures in 2022 to address a nerve issue during and only appeared in three games last season. He returned for 2023 and started nine of the Colts' 10 games, but was limited to primarily playing on first and second downs.

https://www.colts.com/news/shaquill...ements-jim-irsay-chris-ballard-shane-steichen

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Don’t you have to take on his contract? I don’t see a team committing to his contract.
If he was waived, then no, I don't want to claim him off waivers and take the contract. If he was released and is now a FA, then his previous contract makes no difference, he would work out a deal with whatever team he signs with. It would be a new contract and Indy would eat the cap hit on his current contract.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whoever picks him up will have to pay 61million. I hope Philthy gets a mentally broken down LB :laugh:

He does have to pass through the waiver wire since it is past the trade deadline.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
If he was waived, then no, I don't want to claim him off waivers and take the contract. If he was released and is now a FA, then his previous contract makes no difference, he would work out a deal with whatever team he signs with. It would be a new contract and Indy would eat the cap hit on his current contract.
Aw... I just read the rule for after the trade deadline waiver rules. All players regardless of veteran status have to go on waivers after the trade deadline. So in that case, I would not claim him. I would hope he makes to the FA market after 24 hours or so and then work out a deal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah but he was waived but yeah I expect him to clear waivers.