Combine Chatter Thread

RS12

Reaction score
I hope people keep looking at Scooby Wright's size and combine numbers, and just continue to overlook him.

164 tackles, 31 TFL, 15 sacks, 5 forced fumbles - his numbers from his sophomore year. I don't care about size, speed, and all of that mess. If you put up numbers like that in any major conference, you're just a football player who makes plays regardless of a stopwatch or bathroom scale.

Zack Thomas comparisons. Think they already have that guy in Hitchens, who I could take or leave.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Lineman runnin the 40 has his old frank and beans drop out of his shorts. Bellyflops to cover it up.

"How'd ya get the beans above the frank"

Haha.

Just watched the replay of this, it was kind of tragic but hilarious at the same time.

Adolphus Washington also got to show his plumber's smile during some of his agility drills.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Just watched the replay of this, it was kind of tragic but hilarious at the same time.

Adolphus Washington also got to show his plumber's smile during some of his agility drills.

Under Armour may be this Combine's biggest loser. The Smith incident, unlimited plumber's cracks, I don't recall ever seeing so many players constantly pulling up their pants/shorts, some mid-drill.

Alexander

Reaction score
here is a snippet.

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn that North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz "might be the most physically talented of the group [of quarterbacks]."

"Would I be nervous with this guy? Absolutely. But if you have no quarterback at all, what do you got to lose?" the scout asked. On the level of ability, though, he has no questions on Wentz, noting that the 6-foot-6, 231-pounder is a "big guy with a big arm" and that the ball "gets there." During throwing drills at the NFL Scouting Combine on Saturday, TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline saw likewise, calling his timing "incredibly impressive" due to his "ability to power the ball into targets." Another scout who spoke with McGinn is nervous about the jump from FCS ball to the NFL. "...it's such a long way from that level of play to the NFL at any position, let alone quarterback," he said.

McGinn's articles are interesting, but I would be careful reading them like they were gospel. These "scouts" were not in love with J.J. Watt and had this to say about Aaron Donald:

Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: 6-0½, 285. Undersized three-technique in a 4-3 scheme. "He was the most valuable player in the Senior Bowl, not Dee Ford," one scout said. "He's a good player if you can get by with his size. He reminds me of the guy from Iowa who plays for the Falcons (DT Jonathan Babineaux)." Also regarded as a better prospect than Green Bay DT Mike Daniels, another ex-Hawkeye. "He's productive as hell," one scout said. "He'll get his (expletive) kicked for 10 straight plays and then he'll make a sack. It's the damndest thing. But down in and down out, playing the run, it's going to be hard."

Alexander

Reaction score
In what everyone is calling a defensive draft, Jerry's confident he can find an offensive skill player but finding defenders will be dicey.

You can't make this stuff up.

"I feel better about our ability to get feeling good about running back than I do about some of the challenges that we've got on defense right now. I don't know. I can actually see ways and options at the running back thing to get us in good shape that I don't actually see ways and have the name in place for the spot relative to the defense."

My Jerry Jones decoder ring is not working for this one.

RS12

Reaction score
McGinn's articles are interesting, but I would be careful reading them like they were gospel. These "scouts" were not in love with J.J. Watt and had this to say about Aaron Donald:

Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: 6-0½, 285. Undersized three-technique in a 4-3 scheme. "He was the most valuable player in the Senior Bowl, not Dee Ford," one scout said. "He's a good player if you can get by with his size. He reminds me of the guy from Iowa who plays for the Falcons (DT Jonathan Babineaux)." Also regarded as a better prospect than Green Bay DT Mike Daniels, another ex-Hawkeye. "He's productive as hell," one scout said. "He'll get his (expletive) kicked for 10 straight plays and then he'll make a sack. It's the damndest thing. But down in and down out, playing the run, it's going to be hard."

Even the best scouts are wrong a lot of the time. I am sure there is a huge amount of cronieism in scouting, leading to whole bunch who shouldnt be.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You left out the last part. Here's the whole thing....

Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: 6-0½, 285. Undersized three-technique in a 4-3 scheme. "He was the most valuable player in the Senior Bowl, not Dee Ford," one scout said. "He's a good player if you can get by with his size. He reminds me of the guy from Iowa who plays for the Falcons (DT Jonathan Babineaux)." Also regarded as a better prospect than Green Bay DT Mike Daniels, another ex-Hawkeye. "He's productive as hell," one scout said. "He'll get his (expletive) kicked for 10 straight plays and then he'll make a sack. It's the damndest thing. But down in and down out, playing the run, it's going to be hard." "I agree with Will," said another scout.

MikeT22

Reaction score
In what everyone is calling a defensive draft, Jerry's confident he can find an offensive skill player but finding defenders will be dicey.

You can't make this stuff up.

That does make you scratch your head. There should be several quality DL in the 2nd-3rd's as well as DB's. Even in the top 5, if we don't go QB the other top prospects we'll probably be looking at are all on defense: Bosa, Ramsey, Jack and Buckner.

I do think there are some good RB's and WR's in the day 2 range, but it'd be just as easy to find defensive players there.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
[quote="Alexander, post: 6572319, member: 2328"]Just watched the replay of this, it was kind of tragic but hilarious at the same time.

Adolphus Washington also got to show his plumber's smile during some of his agility drills.[/quote]

:muttley:

Gaede

Reaction score
"I feel better about our ability to get feeling good about running back than I do about some of the challenges that we've got on defense right now. I don't know. I can actually see ways and options at the running back thing to get us in good shape that I don't actually see ways and have the name in place for the spot relative to the defense."

My Jerry Jones decoder ring is not working for this one.

'We're drafting the next Deion in round 1. We're also drafting the next Emmitt Smith in rd 2. We'll also be bringing in the next Jason Garrett in free agency.'

This is Jerry's plan for the offseason. McClay and Stephen applaud.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I'm about 90% confident that Tunsil goes #1, Wentz #2. SD isn't quite as clear, but my early guess is Bosa.

Assuming no trades I'd say: 1) TN: Tunsil 2) Cle: Wentz 3) SD: Ramsey

We'd be sitting at 4 looking at Goff, Bosa, Jack or trade down.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Assuming no trades I'd say: 1) TN: Tunsil 2) Cle: Wentz 3) SD: Ramsey

We'd be sitting at 4 looking at Goff, Bosa, Jack or trade down.

You could very well be right. I really think that all 3 of those guys aren't worthy of that pick. Hope we trade down if that scenario unfolds.