Combine Chatter Thread

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...yers-fared-day-3-nfl-combine-drills-nfl-draft

i

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
At 269 pounds, Bosa ran a disappointing 4.86 40-yard dash. Coming into the combine, the one argument you could make against him was that he does not have exceptional get-off speed and acceleration around the edge. For some context, NFL pass rushers with a similar build to Bosa tested far better in the 40 and the vertical jump. One notable exception? The Patriots' Chandler Jones, who was fifth in the NFL in sacks last season, ran a 4.92 at 6-foot-5 and 266 pounds. What makes Bosa special is his length and exceptional hand use as a pass rusher. He plays with great leverage and power. With that said, it does raise some concern that Bosa posted below-average results in two of the explosion drills

i

Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky
A big part of Spence's pass-rushing prowess is his ability to get around the edge with speed. But he ran a disappointing 4.80 40-yard dash on Sunday. That's below the five-year average for outside linebackers (4.74) and especially concerning for Spence considering he weighed in at 254 pounds. Von Miller and Khalil Mack, two recent draftees with similar frames as Spence, tested much better than the Eastern Kentucky product (see chart below). Spence, who transferred from Ohio State after failing two drug tests, did show off good lower-body explosiveness with his performance in the vertical (35 inches) and broad jumps (10 feet, 1 inch). At the Senior Bowl, Spence put on a pass-rushing clinic, displaying a rare quickness along with the ability to bend around the edge. If you're looking for the best pure edge rusher in this class, I think this is probably still your guy, but this 40 time number could scare some teams off.

i

Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss
Nkemdiche will continue face questions about his off-field character and his inconsistent motor on tape, but from an athletic standpoint, he proved that he's a rare breed. Nkemdiche, who weighed in at 294 pounds, posted a 4.87-second 40 and a 35-inch vertical. According to ESPN Stats & Information, since 2006, only four other 290-pound-plus defensive linemen ran a sub-5.00 40 with a 35-inch vertical. Three of those four -- J.J. Watt, Mario Williams andTyson Alualu -- ended up being selected in the top 11 of the draft. Nkemdiche is one of the ultimate risk/reward players in this draft.

i

Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State
Coming into the week, I thought Lee had a legit chance to run in the 4.5s. On Sunday, he did even better, posting an official 40 time of 4.47, the best mark among LBs this year and the sixth-fastest for a LB since 2006. That backs up what we saw on tape: Lee is a true sideline-to-sideline defender who thrives in space. Perhaps more impressive was the lower-body power Lee showed with an 11-foot-1-inch broad jump (best among LBs). According to ESPN Stats & Information, since 2006, only 12 players have run that fast and jumped that far at the combine -- and all 12 were either wide receivers or defensive backs. Lee is one of the best overall athletes in this class, and he likely solidified himself as a first-round pick with his performance in Indy.

i

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
I didn't expect Lawson to put up good numbers today -- this event isn't built for a guy like him whose game thrives on power and effort more than speed and raw athleticism -- but the Clemson star had a pretty good day. He ran the 40 in 4.70 seconds, including a 1.64 10-yard split. Those aren't elite numbers by any means, but they are above average for his position. The same goes for his results in the agility drills, which, again, don't really highlight the strengths of his game. Lawson, who led the FBS with 25.5 tackles for loss in 2015, is a high-energy defensive end who plays with a good mixture of relentlessness, technique and discipline. These results should help him lock down a spot in the first round as one of the top DE prospects in the class.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...yers-fared-day-3-nfl-combine-drills-nfl-draft

i

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
At 269 pounds, Bosa ran a disappointing 4.86 40-yard dash. Coming into the combine, the one argument you could make against him was that he does not have exceptional get-off speed and acceleration around the edge. For some context, NFL pass rushers with a similar build to Bosa tested far better in the 40 and the vertical jump. One notable exception? The Patriots' Chandler Jones, who was fifth in the NFL in sacks last season, ran a 4.92 at 6-foot-5 and 266 pounds. What makes Bosa special is his length and exceptional hand use as a pass rusher. He plays with great leverage and power. With that said, it does raise some concern that Bosa posted below-average results in two of the explosion drills

i

Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky
A big part of Spence's pass-rushing prowess is his ability to get around the edge with speed. But he ran a disappointing 4.80 40-yard dash on Sunday. That's below the five-year average for outside linebackers (4.74) and especially concerning for Spence considering he weighed in at 254 pounds. Von Miller and Khalil Mack, two recent draftees with similar frames as Spence, tested much better than the Eastern Kentucky product (see chart below). Spence, who transferred from Ohio State after failing two drug tests, did show off good lower-body explosiveness with his performance in the vertical (35 inches) and broad jumps (10 feet, 1 inch). At the Senior Bowl, Spence put on a pass-rushing clinic, displaying a rare quickness along with the ability to bend around the edge. If you're looking for the best pure edge rusher in this class, I think this is probably still your guy, but this 40 time number could scare some teams off.

i

Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss
Nkemdiche will continue face questions about his off-field character and his inconsistent motor on tape, but from an athletic standpoint, he proved that he's a rare breed. Nkemdiche, who weighed in at 294 pounds, posted a 4.87-second 40 and a 35-inch vertical. According to ESPN Stats & Information, since 2006, only four other 290-pound-plus defensive linemen ran a sub-5.00 40 with a 35-inch vertical. Three of those four -- J.J. Watt, Mario Williams andTyson Alualu -- ended up being selected in the top 11 of the draft. Nkemdiche is one of the ultimate risk/reward players in this draft.

i

Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State
Coming into the week, I thought Lee had a legit chance to run in the 4.5s. On Sunday, he did even better, posting an official 40 time of 4.47, the best mark among LBs this year and the sixth-fastest for a LB since 2006. That backs up what we saw on tape: Lee is a true sideline-to-sideline defender who thrives in space. Perhaps more impressive was the lower-body power Lee showed with an 11-foot-1-inch broad jump (best among LBs). According to ESPN Stats & Information, since 2006, only 12 players have run that fast and jumped that far at the combine -- and all 12 were either wide receivers or defensive backs. Lee is one of the best overall athletes in this class, and he likely solidified himself as a first-round pick with his performance in Indy.

i

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
I didn't expect Lawson to put up good numbers today -- this event isn't built for a guy like him whose game thrives on power and effort more than speed and raw athleticism -- but the Clemson star had a pretty good day. He ran the 40 in 4.70 seconds, including a 1.64 10-yard split. Those aren't elite numbers by any means, but they are above average for his position. The same goes for his results in the agility drills, which, again, don't really highlight the strengths of his game. Lawson, who led the FBS with 25.5 tackles for loss in 2015, is a high-energy defensive end who plays with a good mixture of relentlessness, technique and discipline. These results should help him lock down a spot in the first round as one of the top DE prospects in the class.

I would trade Sean Lee for Darren Lee straight up......

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If we draft a QB early and they bust I'm fine with it.

It's not as franchise crippling as it once was with the new pay scale.

It still sets you back. What kind of effect on our team would it have made if we had drafted Luke Kuechly or Dontari Poe or Fletcher Cox in 2012 instead of Claiborne?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hall 4.69
Hargreaves 4.52

They are having clock issues today. Another time had Hargreaves at 4.41

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fuller going to run or is he just in a different grouping?