Combine Chatter Thread

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score

The other interesting nugget buried in that article is this:

Browns coach Hue Jackson admitted it was something he looked at in a quarterback.

“Oh yes, it does. It does,” Jackson said. “It matters because we play in a division where all of a sudden there’s rain, there’s snow and it’s different. I think guys that have big hands can grip the ball better in those environmental situations and so we’ll look for a guy that fits what we’re looking for in a quarterback and is hand size important? Yes it is.”

Wentz at #4 is really starting to seem like a fantasy.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Browns coach Hue Jackson admitted it was something he looked at in a quarterback.

“Oh yes, it does. It does,” Jackson said. “It matters because we play in a division where all of a sudden there’s rain, there’s snow and it’s different. I think guys that have big hands can grip the ball better in those environmental situations and so we’ll look for a guy that fits what we’re looking for in a quarterback and is hand size important? Yes it is.”

I saw that yesterday.

What is funny is that these coaches in the Northern cities really talk a lot about the elements and so on.

How many rain and snow games do we see each year?

I can count maybe a couple here and there every year.

Is it really that much of an issue?

It just seems to me there are not as many as there used to be.

Blame global warming, I guess.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

DBOY3141

Reaction score

wonder what Andy Dalton's hand size is. Another kid from a warmer weather state during pretty good in a cold city.

Alexander

Reaction score
wonder what Andy Dalton's hand size is. Another kid from a warmer weather state during pretty good in a cold city.

Starting (and former) NFL QB Hand Sizes (via Rotoworld):

Drew Brees (10.25 inches)

Russell Wilson(10.25 inches)

Paxton Lynch (11.5 inches)

Brett Favre (10.38 inches)

Michael Vick (historically small 8.5-inch hands)

Colin Kaepernick (9.13 inches)

Cam Newton (9 7/8)

Andy Dalton (9 1/2 inches)

Robert Griffin III (9.5 inches)

Joe Flacco (9.63 inches)

Daunte Culpepper (9.5 inches)

Tom Brady (“enormous hand,” according to NFL guy Scott Pioli)

Aaron Rodgers (9.38 inches)

Teddy Bridgewater (9 1/4)

Tony Romo (8.86 inches)

AJ McCarron (10 inches)

Cardale Jones (9 3/4)

Derek Carr (9 1/8)

Ryan Tannehill (9 inches)

Johnny Manziel (9 7/8)

Alexander

Reaction score
All of this quibbling about miniscule quarters of an inch reminds me a little of tenth of a second on a 40 time.

People are putting causation to hand size and blowing it up.

There is a lot more that goes into a QB having success. How they process information, avoid a pass rush, make the right decisions.

Could it be that the small sample size of "successful" QBs just happened to have the bigger hands simply out of chance?

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Starting (and former) NFL QB Hand Sizes (via Rotoworld):

Drew Brees (10.25 inches)

Russell Wilson(10.25 inches)

Paxton Lynch (11.5 inches)

Brett Favre (10.38 inches)

Michael Vick (historically small 8.5-inch hands)

Colin Kaepernick (9.13 inches)

Cam Newton (9 7/8)

Andy Dalton (9 1/2 inches)

Robert Griffin III (9.5 inches)

Joe Flacco (9.63 inches)

Daunte Culpepper (9.5 inches)

Tom Brady (“enormous hand,” according to NFL guy Scott Pioli)

Aaron Rodgers (9.38 inches)

Teddy Bridgewater (9 1/4)

Tony Romo (8.86 inches)

AJ McCarron (10 inches)

Cardale Jones (9 3/4)

Derek Carr (9 1/8)

Ryan Tannehill (9 inches)

Johnny Manziel (9 7/8)

good info.

Alexander

Reaction score
good info.

But that is all it is. If a team looks at a player on film and then downgrades him because his hands are a fraction of an inch smaller than the other player, it is no wonder why finding a QB is so hard. These arrogant NFL types apply way too much to the decision process.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
But that is all it is. If a team looks at a player on film and then downgrades him because his hands are a fraction of an inch smaller than the other player, it is no wonder why finding a QB is so hard. These arrogant NFL types apply way too much to the decision process.

Reminds of the story Gil Brandt told. They passed on Mike Singletary because he was 1 inch too short, based on what they looked for in LB's. We've all seen way to many players have all the measureables, and can't play a lick of NFL quality football.

Reactions: BAT

mschmidt64

Reaction score
All of this quibbling about miniscule quarters of an inch reminds me a little of tenth of a second on a 40 time.

People are putting causation to hand size and blowing it up.

There is a lot more that goes into a QB having success. How they process information, avoid a pass rush, make the right decisions.

Could it be that the small sample size of "successful" QBs just happened to have the bigger hands simply out of chance?

Or maybe there is generally causation between height and hand size, ie, a bigger person tends to have bigger hands, therefore since height is generally a trait that accompanies successful QBs, large hand size has generally gone with it.

Until someone explains to me why this didn't prevent him from throwing a good ball in college but would in the pros, I think it is a non issue.

I can see how something like height or speed would matter -- and how facing smaller, slower players in college would still allow a QB to have success in college but not make the jump to the pros.... But hand size is about throwing the ball, it's between the QB and the ball. And he's already demonstrated proficiency at that.

Alexander

Reaction score
But hand size is about throwing the ball, it's between the QB and the ball. And he's already demonstrated proficiency at that.

They also ascribe fumbling to hand size. Not sure I believe that either.

I don't know, I just admire how the Combine starts all of the insanity where games and performances are pushed down in favor of SPARQ ratings.

Nothing is exact and predictive.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not really a Cook fan. I think he's a 3rd rounder or later to me. His completion % really strikes me as low for a college QB.

It's ridiculously low for this day.

No way do I want the Cowboys to draft him.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's fine.

I'd rather see the Cowboys draft Goff.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It's ridiculously low for this day.

I'm not an advocate for Cook but "this day" is full of spread offenses, with short passes and bubble screens serving as handoffs, driving up the completion percentage of quarterbacks.

Cook played in a Pro offense.

Although, I agree, his percentage should be higher.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Every person I know (after having worked at Gold's Gym and been a four-sport athlete for six years) that used 'roids or other PED's, had hands disproportionately small to their bodies and massive heads. I believe it's due to the bone structure in your hands. They aren't effected the same by growth hormones etc. It is a bunch of tiny bones, instead of one or two long bones.

I don't throw this around lightly and I'm not saying he does anymore, but Henry absolutely screams PEDs. Awful complexion. Greatly receding hairline/thinning hair. Disproportionate body. He looks like a poster for PED side effects.

The heavy HGH users I know all had their hands, feet, heads grow.
The heqavy Roids users I know just grew:)

The real heavy HGH and Roid users looked a bit like Henry, yes.

Reaction score
I also think that with the gloves QB's can use today, hand size becomes less important. Guys with smaller hands just need to get used to throwing with the glove.