Combine Results 2014***updated 6:35PM 2-22***

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
FWIW, Michael Sam's 40 yard time of 4.79 isn't far off from

-Lamar Woodley: 4.74
-Charles Johnson: 4.78
-Michael Bennett: 4.79

However, he is about a tenth of a second slower in the 10 yard splits versus these players.

Problem is, he's not any of those guys and 4.79 is not Sam's official time. It's 4.91 and that's slow for a speed rusher.

tm1119

Reaction score
Kareem Martin also helped himself out today. Official 4.72 and a 1.53 10 yard split for a guy 6'6 273 is pretty impressive. Definitely should be a target for us in the 2nd or 3rd

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
All in all, this is a thread about work out numbers. If they don't matter, then I'd be curious why you have been in this thread as much.

I don't agree with this. This thead is about Sam. Simple question, have you watched him play? I mean, we can take all of the Gay/Straight stuff completely out of this and just talk about the player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kareem Martin also helped himself out today. Official 4.72 and a 1.53 10 yard split for a guy 6'6 273 is pretty impressive. Definitely should be a target for us in the 2nd or 3rd

Yes, I was shocked by Martin's time. He does not look very quick in game footage.

reddyuta

Reaction score

Amazing numbers for a guy that big.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'm well aware but it's still a matter of dedication and preparation to me. Biggest job interview of his life and he ran the same time as guys 30 pounds heavier than him. Like I said, didn't expect him to be fast, but 5.3+ is pathetic.

That and his 10 yard split was still only marginal. If you're going to play DT in the NFL with barely 31 inch arms you better be extremely quick and explosive and that's not Sutton. Drake Nevis 2.0.

I just know the game footage I watched from 2013 was not great. Supposedly he was overweight, then I watched a couple of other games from 2012. Still did not see the dominant lineman. He is okay, I guess, but he would be more like a third round type for me now. Funny you said Nevis, because he was supposed to be a perfect 3-technique in a Tampa D coming out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Clowney an official 4.53

Impressive but Donald was even more impressive.

Tuitt was pretty impressive also IMO. 6'5" 304 lbs and he put up some impressive numbers as well. Also, long arms and he managed 31 reps I think. That's not bad.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Tuitt was pretty impressive also IMO. 6'5" 304 lbs and he put up some impressive numbers as well. Also, long arms and he managed 31 reps I think. That's not bad.

I saw a report that Tuitt wasn't cleared to work out, did he?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The thread is titled "Combine Results 2014***updated 6:35PM 2-22***"

How is the THREAD about Sam?

Fair enough. The discussion we are having is about Sam. What do you want to do here? Do you want to argue or do you want to discuss players. You pick and then let us know and we can go from there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
One thing to remember about these DT workouts, a bad 40 is not a death sentence.

Jurrell Casey ran a 5.07 and was virtually unstoppable last year.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Fair enough. The discussion we are having is about Sam. What do you want to do here? Do you want to argue or do you want to discuss players. You pick and then let us know and we can go from there.

Risen said numbers don't matter to him, not Sam's number, but numbers.

I asked why is he in a thread about numbers, so my question was directly responding to his statement.

As far as Sam goes, I don't think I've ever gave my opinion of his as a prospect. Typically if I see a comment that I disagree with, I make a comment and the vast majority of them have been non football related. Since this is a combine thread, I didn't even want to bring the opinions surrounding Sam into this thread. All I did was bring some comparable (before I saw the official time) numbers into the discussion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Risen said numbers don't matter to him, not Sam's number, but numbers.

I asked why is he in a thread about numbers, so my question was directly responding to his statement.

As far as Sam goes, I don't think I've ever gave my opinion of his as a prospect. Typically if I see a comment that I disagree with, I make a comment and the vast majority of them have been non football related. Since this is a combine thread, I didn't even want to bring the opinions surrounding Sam into this thread. All I did was bring some comparable (before I saw the official time) numbers into the discussion.

Well, I don't believe that any of those guys, were comparable, even if we are not considering 40 times. I believe I asked if you had ever watched him play. I don't know if you responded to that or not? Have you watched Sam play?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Well, I don't believe that any of those guys, were comparable, even if we are not considering 40 times. I believe I asked if you had ever watched him play. I don't know if you responded to that or not? Have you watched Sam play?

yes

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't think any of the three are great athletes, especially Bennett. I think Sam has some things in common with them, specifically his motor and he definitely plays faster than a 4.91. Not 4.5 or anything crazy like that, but watching him, he's not a 4.9 guy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think any of the three are great athletes, especially Bennett. I think Sam has some things in common with them, specifically his motor and he definitely plays faster than a 4.91. Not 4.5 or anything crazy like that, but watching him, he's not a 4.9 guy.

Well again, not really talking about hsi speed or lack there of. I'm talking about the players. Sam can't play the run. He doesn't get off blocks. I mean, if you watch him, I don't see how you can compare him to these other players because they play differently. Especially Woodley. That guy could have been a top 10 pick if he'd run fast. He was a monster against the run at Michigan and he still is. That's not Sam.