Comes down to WR or CB. Or?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With whats gone down, i think Chaisson is off the 17 pick, or could be he was never there.

Dallas has 2 needs right now and thats WR and CB. But the good thing about this is its for depth, they dont really need a starter at each position. They would be fine going in with what they got.

Do you add another weapon if one of the top 3 WRs are there? All three would make this offense scary. How do you cover Elliot, Cooper, Gallup, and One of the top 3 WRs, then cover the seam with Jarwin?

Do you add a CB who is big has very good cover skills and is a ballhawk, but plays a little too soft for NFL standards that already put CBs behind with the rules.

Or do you draft Love for leverage with Dak? Lets be honest, there isnt a team in the league that has the money Jerry does on hand. Thats a big deal because i dont think there is a owner in the league that could write a check upfront that Jerry could. Not only that he is going to lose out on endorsements because he simply wouldnt be the QB of the Cowboys. They could always trade Love. There are plenty of teams that want him.

Then the trade down, which i would be in favor of if the WRs, Chaisson, Henderson are gone. Saints, Patriots, Raiders, Jaguars, Niners i think would all like to get in for him. Even if youre not going to draft him, just put it out there that its not out of the question and you will get calls for a trade.

WR is probably the lowest need on the team. Not sure where you even get that from.

And no one is blowing a #1 on a QB so they can save a couple million on Dak. LOL

Where do you people come up with this kind of nonsense?

CB is the #1 need. It also represents a prime position that would be very very costly to use FA to fill.

With Awuzie and the other CB both being FA's after this season, we could be looking at having no one at the position. CB will be the pick unless all the top prospects are gone or Kinlaw falls or some other big name falls.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If We are drafting a WR in the first round (as per Mel Kiper's mock draft) - then Amari Cooper is gone after two years, imo.

i really believe its' a reason .. a huge reason - why we supposedly implemented an escape clause in Cooper's recently re-signed contract (per JJT's Whispers from the Star)

Imo, you just don't invest and throw that kind of record huge dollars in a position that you're supposedly book-end unless you have concerns and skepticism about the vastly high paid, supposed lead WR here.
and we already have Michael Gallup developing quite nicely as a No.2 guy - so you know its' not him.

So drafting a WR in the first means that rookie comes in as a slot and eventually is the outside featured guy in 2 years...
Along side Gallup, while Cowboys trade or cut Cooper. ..

Drafting a WR makes little sense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Unless BPA by far is WR...no way.
It's way down the list as far 1st round needs
Cooper is a 1st rounder and Gallup is approaching playing like a late 1st rounder...we have way greater needs for 1st round level talent...almost everywhere else but WR

But if a great one falls into our lap and he's in his our tier on our remaining board (very doubtful), then barring a trade down, we have to take the player.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Pick the better player on the board. If close i'd pick a defensive player vs any offensive one. There will definately be wr's later in the draft.
While I agree with you think about it this way. Corner is also very deep this year. In the first it comes down to who they think is better for instance.

If Lamb, Juedy or Ruggs is there and Henderson is there which one do you take? That's very tough but ultimately I might go Henderson. Now let's say one of the three receivers are there and it's Fulton(or a different corner) who would you pick? I'm taking one of the receivers and not thinking twice.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It does if it’s bpa. Reaching for need makes no sense

It ONLY makes sense if there is absolutely NO one left at all and some complete cant miss, game changing stud WR is sitting there and you have no good offers to trade down.

Which is very unlikely at the #17 spot.

Not to mention that since this draft is sooo deep at the WR position that you can get very good prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't know how you can say this. You have 2 nfl caliber Wrs on the entire roster and a Te who is questionable at best..This team definitely needs a pass catcher, specifically a WR..especially when you factor in mccarthy and his spread offense..he goes 4 wide A LOT..we don't even have a #3
But this thread is about how to use our 1st rounder.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
While I agree with you think about it this way. Corner is also very deep this year. In the first it comes down to who they think is better for instance.

If Lamb, Juedy or Ruggs is there and Henderson is there which one do you take? That's very tough but ultimately I might go Henderson. Now let's say one of the three receivers are there and it's Fulton(or a different corner) who would you pick? I'm taking one of the receivers and not thinking twice.

Fulton may be a better prospect that Henderson. Give me Fulton all day long.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We were very deep at receiver. Im not sure how any Cowboys fan that follows the team would say any different. With that said my hope is for CeeDee at 17.
They are deep at receiver but almost every one of them have had injury issues not only that but if Cooper or Gallup go down are you happy with Wilson or Smith or Johnson coming in and starting?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Fulton may be a better prospect that Henderson. Give me Fulton all day long.
I completely disagree. Either way I think Lamb is going to be an all-pro and would be bpa at 17. I do believe Henderson could be probowl corner. I wouldn't mind Fulton but not over the receivers especially Lamb.

I respect your opinion and value your input, I just disagree with Fulton over Henderson. No problem here though

Playmaker247

Reaction score
It ONLY makes sense if there is absolutely NO one left at all and some complete cant miss, game changing stud WR is sitting there and you have no good offers to trade down.

Which is very unlikely at the #17 spot.

Not to mention that since this draft is sooo deep at the WR position that you can get very good prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round.
This logic is how you end up drafting taco and trysten hill......

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think OT is a need that should be considered by the team. You can find WRs, but it's hard to find good NFL OTs. Also, with the injuries and struggle Tyron Smith goes thru he could go the way of TFred.

I think every position of need is still on the table post signing of Aldon Smith. It's still DL n Secondary for me.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I completely disagree. Either way I think Lamb is going to be an all-pro and would be bpa at 17. I do believe Henderson could be probowl corner. I wouldn't mind Fulton but not over the receivers especially Lamb.

I respect your opinion and value your input, I just disagree with Fulton over Henderson. No problem here though

I said Fulton MAY be. Which really means they are similar. I read something from Antonio Chromartie analyzing the top 5 corners and he seemed to like Fulton better than Henderson.

What are the top receivers in your view? 2 of them will be gone for sure by 17.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This logic is how you end up drafting taco and trysten hill......

I never would have drafted Taco or Hill. TJ Watt was available when we took Taco. That was simply a dumb pick. There were also two GREAT prospects at safety available when Hill was picked. AGAIN, that was ANOTHER stupid pick advised by Marinelli and what he wanted.

So NEITHER of those were actually a forced need pick. They were just dumb picks.

THIS scenario is really not realistic. How about this unrealistic scenario?

If the BPA on the board is a RB are you taking him? Hell no you aren't taking him.

If the players are close on your talent board, I am going for the high need over the no need.
However, I would never REACH for a player.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory are hardly reliable options. If Chaisson is there at 17 I take him and don’t look back

I would too, even if Chaisson doesn't take a lot of reps as a rookie. We have to have a CB but all picks should be made for what they will be contributing in year 3, not year 1.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think OT is a need that should be considered by the team. You can find WRs, but it's hard to find good NFL OTs. Also, with the injuries and struggle Tyron Smith goes thru he could go the way of TFred.

I think every position of need is still on the table post signing of Aldon Smith. It's still DL n Secondary for me.

You mean Center is a need? Why would we need an OT over a center?

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I disagree wholeheartedly on both fronts. WR and CB are massive needs..how many games last year did we have we the offense didn't score? A lot. And we lost cobb..our cbs are trash..we need at least a solid #2, if not a borderline #1 cb..
Our two pending starters at CB are free agents next year and we let Jones walk. Big need. It is a deep WR draft.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Why would we spend the 1st pick on a WR when we traded a 1st for Amari and drafted Gallup in the 3rd?