Comes down to WR or CB. Or?

JBS

Reaction score
Did I say that? LOL

No, you just made that up in your head.

I didnt make anything up in my head..those receivers are rated higher than any other player you want that will realistically be there..

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah, you lost..you can go away now

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. Center to me is #2 need right behind CB.

And as far as the WR's in most of these top 100 lists there are like 6 or 7 WR's in the top 30 players. Makes even less sense to take a WR high.

Just seems to me like you are enamoured with speedy WR's and you just want one.
Not at all. I believe Lamb and Juedy are all-pro type receivers. That's fine we can disagree about center all day but we already have a draft pick from last year that plays center. We also have Looney who has started a few season at center and was decent. You don't need all-pro at every position on the OL. Other needs should be addressed first.........if center is BPA at the pick though I'm not against taking it but it's not a top 5 need.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I love Wilson. I think in the new offense he is going to be a star especially with Cobb gone. Smith and Johnson are average but you would say that about 95% of the 4th and 5th string WRs in the NFL for any team. I just happen to believe our 4th and 5th WRs have great potential.
I like Wilson too but at this point he hasn't stayed healthy. Gallup has two years left on his deal and with another 1000 yard season his price continues to rise.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I didnt make anything up in my head..those receivers are rated higher than any other player you want that will realistically be there..

They might be, but how much higher? And if those guys are rated so high then why are they going to be available at 17?

Your scenarios are unrealistic and biased. The ONLY scenario you want to broach is the one where EVERY other good prospect is gone, but somehow one of the 3 top WR's has miraculously dropped.

I think you just have a hard on for one of these 3 WR's. Roster building, salary cap, all these things into play. If one of the 3 WR's is available then I would probably trade down.

Mr_437

Reaction score
You mean Center is a need? Why would we need an OT over a center?[/QU
You mean Center is a need? Why would we need an OT over a center?
Tyron Smith could retire, he definitely is going to miss a couple games. Who's gonna fill in at OT without #77?

OT is harder fill and you can hide a OC better than an OT.

Looney or McGovern will be fine.

JBS

Reaction score
They might be, but how much higher? And if those guys are rated so high then why are they going to be available at 17?

Your scenarios are unrealistic and biased. The ONLY scenario you want to broach is the one where EVERY other good prospect is gone, but somehow one of the 3 top WR's has miraculously dropped.

I think you just have a hard on for one of these 3 WR's. Roster building, salary cap, all these things into play. If one of the 3 WR's is available then I would probably trade down.

I'm just going bpa. I'm not taking a WR no matter what.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not at all. I believe Lamb and Juedy are all-pro type receivers. That's fine we can disagree about center all day but we already have a draft pick from last year that plays center. We also have Looney who has started a few season at center and was decent. You don't need all-pro at every position on the OL. Other needs should be addressed first.........if center is BPA at the pick though I'm not against taking it but it's not a top 5 need.

Nah, you obviously devalue the center position. Its the most important position on the line for me. And looney is nothing more than a backup guard that can snap the ball. McGovern played center ONE year his 2nd year in college and that was it. He was a GUARD prospect. Plus we need him to beat out Williams that has been a disaster. You get a center now and you continue the Oline dominance for the next 4 years.

There is no way in hell that slot WR is a need over Center. That is just ridiculous.

So Cobb was more important than Frederick? Get the hell outta here!!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Tyron Smith could retire, he definitely is going to miss a couple games. Who's gonna fill in at OT without #77?

OT is harder fill and you can hide a OC better than an OT.

Looney or McGovern will be fine.

Never mind.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm just going bpa. I'm not taking a WR no matter what.

BPA is a very misleading term. You simply cannot just blindly pick the highest guy on your board. Nobody runs the draft that way.

If your #1 need is a couple of players down the list, but close, then you go with the need. Especially if the BPA is a position of strength. If its a wide gap, then fine take BPA. Or trade down.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I like Wilson too but at this point he hasn't stayed healthy. Gallup has two years left on his deal and with another 1000 yard season his price continues to rise.
Yea Wilson is his own worst enemy but we are not asking him to take over Cooper just fill in a game or 2 if Cooper or Gallup gets hurt. I like that he can play inside or outside.

In 2 years we can worry about Gallup.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Nah, you obviously devalue the center position. Its the most important position on the line for me. And looney is nothing more than a backup guard that can snap the ball. McGovern played center ONE year his 2nd year in college and that was it. He was a GUARD prospect. Plus we need him to beat out Williams that has been a disaster. You get a center now and you continue the Oline dominance for the next 4 years.

There is no way in hell that slot WR is a need over Center. That is just ridiculous.

So Cobb was more important than Frederick? Get the hell outta here!!!!
Frederick was an all-pro and I have never said the need is slot receiver. Gallup has 2 years left on his rookie deal and if Gallup or Cooper goes down you have no receiver at all. Now the offense will struggle as teams can take 1 receiver away and stack the box to stop Zeke. Receiver is by far a bigger need than center. You can downplay Looney at center all you want but he started at center for Dallas the entire 18 season and was decent. As far as Williams goes he gave up 1 sack last season and wasn't even close to being terrible. He needs to build more strength and have better technique against bull rushers but this myth that he is terrible is almost laughable.

I'm not downplaying the center position at all, it's not the most important position on the OL that belongs to LT but it's next on the list. I feel we have Looney and used a draft pick in McGovern...... who can play all 3 interior positions...... no need to reach for a center this year when it's not a need at this moment.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I can sign Taylor Gabriel for cheap today to fill my slot corner role.

Now I'd ask those campaigning for first round receiver to find me my #1 corner today in free agency?

Taylor is a slot WR and I'd rather fill that spot in the 3rd or 4th rounds cheaper.

I think they will draft a CB or Pass Rusher in first round got to replace BJ

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yea Wilson is his own worst enemy but we are not asking him to take over Cooper just fill in a game or 2 if Cooper or Gallup gets hurt. I like that he can play inside or outside.

In 2 years we can worry about Gallup.
I'm sorry but if Gallup or Cooper goes down I'm not confident at all with this receiving corps until it's proven otherwise. Wilson, Smith, Johnson and whoever else isn't scaring defenses. Just my opinion though

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Taylor is a slot WR and I'd rather fill that spot in the 3rd or 4th rounds cheaper.

I think they will draft a CB or Pass Rusher in first round got to replace BJ

Sorry, looks like I misspoke and called him a corner rather than a receiver. My bad.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Frederick was an all-pro and I have never said the need is slot receiver. Gallup has 2 years left on his rookie deal and if Gallup or Cooper goes down you have no receiver at all. Now the offense will struggle as teams can take 1 receiver away and stack the box to stop Zeke. Receiver is by far a bigger need than center. You can downplay Looney at center all you want but he started at center for Dallas the entire 18 season and was decent. As far as Williams goes he gave up 1 sack last season and wasn't even close to being terrible. He needs to build more strength and have better technique against bull rushers but this myth that he is terrible is almost laughable.

I'm not downplaying the center position at all, it's not the most important position on the OL that belongs to LT but it's next on the list. I feel we have Looney and used a draft pick in McGovern...... who can play all 3 interior positions...... no need to reach for a center this year when it's not a need at this moment.

I know many of you like to just say that looney and McGovern will be fine, but thats really just brushing the problem off. If the Cowboys want to maintain a top 5, dominant Oline, then they need a pro bowl caliber center. They need to replace Frederick. Especially with Williams at guard.

Williams was better because he had Frederick covering up for him and helping him. Looney cant do that. Looney and Williams together anchoring the middle is a disaster in the passing game. Not to mention Williams coming of a torn knee.

The WR thing, I think you just want one of these guys and you are backing your way into convincing yourself that we somehow need one. IF taking a WR was in play, then there would have been no need to sign Cooper.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
I know many of you like to just say that looney and McGovern will be fine, but thats really just brushing the problem off. If the Cowboys want to maintain a top 5, dominant Oline, then they need a pro bowl caliber center. They need to replace Frederick. Especially with Williams at guard.

Williams was better because he had Frederick covering up for him and helping him. Looney cant do that. Looney and Williams together anchoring the middle is a disaster in the passing game. Not to mention Williams coming of a torn knee.

The WR thing, I think you just want one of these guys and you are backing your way into convincing yourself that we somehow need one. IF taking a WR was in play, then there would have been no need to sign Cooper.
You realize 3 wrs start right? And we have 2......if Ruggs, lamb, juedy are there you take them. Don’t take someone like Fulton who most scouts view as a second round pick at 17 because you want to draft defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You realize 3 wrs start right? And we have 2......if Ruggs, lamb, juedy are there you take them. Don’t take someone like Fulton who most scouts view as a second round pick at 17 because you want to draft defense.

Yep 3 WR/s start and clearly we dont need some super star 3rd WR. Cooper is #1 and Gallup us #2. Heck TE at this point is more important than the #3 WR position. And as I said, Devon Smith is a very good young receiver already on our team.

Fulton on some lists is the #15 ranked player in the draft. But Im not the Cowboys and I dont go over film and scout. My point is pretty simple. Nothing to do with Fulton. If there is a top corner available and he is slighly lower ranked than the WR, you take the CB. Doesnt have to be the #1 guy on our board.

I woudl never advocate reaching for a corner. That is just some nonsense you keep making up in your head.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why in the world would edge rusher be not be considered at 17?

Nothing has happened to change the fact we need a long term answer at RDE.

SAF, CB, DT, TE, WR, Edge are all on the table for the top round picks.
Or a young stud at DT.

WR or CB? Jerry running the draft again?