Comics and Movies

quickccc

Reaction score
Not even going to talk about the Batman series anymore. Here are a few fantasy adventure heroic/superhero type Saturday morning cartoons I saw before The Superfriends that I found way more entertaining and less insulting to the intelligence of the kid I was at the time:
  • Space Ghost
  • Jonny Quest
  • Fantastic Four
  • The Herculoids
I really REALLY thought the introduction of the Legion of Doom meant an edgier, more "mature" type Superfriends cartoon. Nope. More of the same if not more dumbed down than what came before it.

Heck. I could easily choose Josie & The <filtered> In Outer Space over that show and I would not even blink. Superfriends made a complete mockery of Aquaman that turned him into the butt of jokes for decades until Jason Mamoa put on the orange and green. I have nothing but contempt for that particular Hanna-Barbera production. One of my favorite memories was the Family Guy parody of the show's opening:

Still makes me chuckle to this day. :muttley:

You're right on the money with Space Ghost, ...67 Fantastic Four ..and the Herculoids .. to go along with Hanna Barbara's Amazing Spiderman series.
That was a great Hanna Barbara experiment !

i liked a few episodes of Johnny Quest and i just loved the artwork which one of a kind during it's era. But it featured too many big words and terms
and dialogue for my young liking. i couldn't figure out what the heck they were talking about, and as a kid, if it did capture my full attention right away
, i got discouraged and left it for good. call when the action scenes come to.

And funny (hilarious?) how you brought up Josie and the Puzzcats, to which i never watched because i could not figure out what the heck was that
series supposed to be ..lol

Others like " Might-Tor" i could never get into .. wasn't interested Ditto with " Caveman and Dino Boy " ... Ugh !

Was this a teen toon driven musical series such as " Archie " or was it supposed to be such as Scooby Doo ?
i just remember the intro with them banging on tambourines and drums ... i never got it .

As with Aquaman ,.. i think Justice League and Unlimited series brought Aquaman back to more respectable manner than what the Superfriends gave him.

90d1bca463ecf8286de059f361a0b8b7.jpg

36501c56e2250fb3c2773ad8692f0d2e.jpg

f8362f16c78c9553d9d0554eae44c0d3.jpg

b59e388460f130cf3949d7fbab7972f4.jpg

250px-Spiderman1967.jpg

e867b95f4d87251d0b1aab78b0d33070.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
With the new Black Adam film coming this week, will I finally need to see " Shazam " movie first, to be better acquainted and familiar with Black Adam ?

220px-Black_Adam_%28film%29_poster.jpg

220px-Blackadam52.PNG

Sorry but i was so disinterested in Shazam/Captain Marvel that i never checked out origin of Black Adam;
I'm only just barely familiar with Black Adam based off this film below:
220px-Superman-Shazam.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the new Black Adam film coming this week, will I finally need to see " Shazam " movie first, to be better acquainted and familiar with Black Adam ?
In my opinion? No. A character in Shazam! makes a very brief non-descript reference of Black Adam but that's it.

Plus, all the Black Adam trailers have clearly shown the movie will include the character's origin story. It might actually provide a tie-in with Shazam! or even Shazam! Fury of the Gods at some point during the movie.

However, I doubt any in-movie commentary about Shazam and/or his associates would spoil seeing that film. It does that on its own. (crap! did I type that? bad DE! bad!)
Sorry but i was so disinterested in Shazam/Captain Marvel that i never checked out origin of Black Adam;
I'm only just barely familiar with Black Adam based off this film below:
220px-Superman-Shazam.jpg
The animated movie glosses over Black Adam's origin. It should not factor into this week's premiere. Usually, comic book movie adaptations take liberties with canon details anyway. I expect no less of a production that will likely mold the character into someone who Dwayne Johnson can exploit with a few qualities from his well-known WWE persona.

Some might say him doing so will detract from a clean portrayal of his latest 'superhero' role. I would disagree. I think a few elements of The Rock could mesh well and give the audience an impressively distinct Black Adam--unlike what he did with The Scorpion King, for example. In that movie I doubt a good portion of moviegoers often differentiated his playing Mathayus from The Rock.

On the other hand, I hope he does not do the exaggerated eyebrow thang he is world famous for. :muttley:

quickccc

Reaction score
In my opinion? No. A character in Shazam! makes a very brief non-descript reference of Black Adam but that's it.

Plus, all the Black Adam trailers have clearly shown the movie will include the character's origin story. It might actually provide a tie-in with Shazam! or even Shazam! Fury of the Gods at some point during the movie.

However, I doubt any in-movie commentary about Shazam and/or his associates would spoil seeing that film. It does that on its own. (crap! did I type that? bad DE! bad!)

The animated movie glosses over Black Adam's origin. It should not factor into this week's premiere. Usually, comic book movie adaptations take liberties with canon details anyway. I expect no less of a production that will likely mold the character into someone who Dwayne Johnson can exploit with a few qualities from his well-known WWE persona.

Some might say him doing so will detract from a clean portrayal of his latest 'superhero' role. I would disagree. I think a few elements of The Rock could mess well and give the audience an impressively distinct Black Adam--unlike what he did with The Scorpion King, for example. In that movie I doubt a good portion of moviegoers often differentiated his playing Mathayus from The Rock.

On the other hand, I hope he does not do the exaggerated eyebrow thang he is world famous for. :muttley:

and by the trailers they give it away that Hawk Man is included .. and gonna be the either a co-hero to eventually side-up ally to Black Adam, .. or the hero to stop a possibly villainous Black Adam.
By ironically as i know very little about Black Adam,.. i also admit that i know nuthin' about Hawk Man,.. nuthin about his origin and background, ..not even his alter ego identity. (Carter)

Maybe this Adam film could also be a way of breaking in other DC characters, whether hero or villain..? Starring Adam and Hawkman ?
i always saw/thought Hawk Man as the DC version of Marvels' Angel -(Warren Worthington) ..except with the Nith- metal mallet weapon.

Hawkman (DC)
220px-Carterhallsbigpicture.jpg

Angel/ Arch Angel - Warren Worthington III (Marvel)
220px-X-men_angel_archangel.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Some might say him doing so will detract from a clean portrayal of his latest 'superhero' role. I would disagree. I think a few elements of The Rock could mess well and give the audience an impressively distinct Black Adam--unlike what he did with The Scorpion King, for example. In that movie I doubt a good portion of moviegoers often differentiated his playing Mathayus from The Rock.

If The People's Eyebrow doesn't costar, I'm out.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
and by the trailers they give it away that Hawk Man is included .. and gonna be the either a co-hero to eventually side-up ally to Black Adam, .. or the hero to stop a possibly villainous Black Adam.
By ironically as i know very little about Black Adam,.. i also admit that i know nuthin' about Hawk Man,.. nuthin about his origin and background, ..not even his alter ego identity. (Carter)

Maybe this Adam film could also be a way of breaking in other DC characters, whether hero or villain..? Starring Adam and Hawkman ?
i always saw/thought Hawk Man as the DC version of Marvels' Angel -(Warren Worthington) ..except with the Nith- metal mallet weapon.

Hawkman (DC)
220px-Carterhallsbigpicture.jpg

Angel/ Arch Angel - Warren Worthington III (Marvel)
220px-X-men_angel_archangel.jpg
I hated the way they portrayed Angel in the X-Men movie. I thought he was gonna jump up and start singing in angst.

quickccc

Reaction score
In my opinion, Warren Worthington III was pathetic in BOTH X-Men: Apocalypse AND X:Men: The Last Stand.

Directors never care about Angel- Archangel. He was made a cameo appearance sideshow.

Coming from director Bryan Singer who did a brilliant job of developing characters and plot for Xmen (2000) and Xmen: United and Days of Future Past.,
..that's also the very reason why i was disappointed in " Apocalypse' as it should have been a bigger hit than what it was. ..

Singer did the same to Apocalypse as director Brett Ratner did to Xmen Last Stand, and Simon Kinsberg with Dark Phoenix
.. just flat sloppy ran thru all the characters - lack of development, and a crummy plot. - Just made it into a mere special effects movie.
-with a flat overkill with Magneto and Wolverine.

Supposed to be talk of a re-boot to Xmen. But it very greatly depends who will handle it. If it's Sony.. forget it, it will bomb flop.
If it becomes Disney, and depending upon the chose director and writers- Xmen, as well as others such as Angel, Ororo-Storm, Gambit, Colossus, Ice Man, etc..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Directors never care about Angel- Archangel. He was made a cameo appearance sideshow.

Coming from director Bryan Singer who did a brilliant job of developing characters and plot for Xmen (2000) and Xmen: United and Days of Future Past.,
..that's also the very reason why i was disappointed in " Apocalypse' as it should have been a bigger hit than what it was. ..

Singer did the same to Apocalypse as director Brett Ratner did to Xmen Last Stand, and Simon Kinsberg with Dark Phoenix
.. just flat sloppy ran thru all the characters - lack of development, and a crummy plot. - Just made it into a mere special effects movie.
-with a flat overkill with Magneto and Wolverine.

Supposed to be talk of a re-boot to Xmen. But it very greatly depends who will handle it. If it's Sony.. forget it, it will bomb flop.
If it becomes Disney, and depending upon the chose director and writers- Xmen, as well as others such as Angel, Ororo-Storm, Gambit, Colossus, Ice Man, etc..

Disney/Marvel now own the rights to X-Men.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Stash has already established the current ownership rights. However, I wanted to add Sony would not have been involved before Disney/Marvel since 20th Century Fox owned the X-Men franchise.

In hindsight, I am kinda 50/50 thinking a Sony X-Men movie would have automatically been poor. Certainly, I would agree Sony productions like Morbius, Venom and the Ghost Rider movies flopped (although box office for Venom might serve as a counterargument). I think X-Men movies would have fared really well under Sony's umbrella if they had been produced as well as Spider-Man 1 & 2, The Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Homecoming/Far From Home/No Way Home.

That said. Sony did not do old webhead any justice in Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 either. I guess they could have crapped the bed making X-Men movies too. Thank goodness for Disney/Marvel (keeping fingers crossed).

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going back for a second to a previous subtopic, I confess being envious of my daughter's Saturday morning cartoon choices growing up as a preteen in the 1990's. She would be the first to tell anyone how jealous I was of her having X-Men as a choice.

The series was never as hardcore as the comic books. And the animation background was drawn with less quality than the characters in any given scene.

I could not think of anything else to subtract from the show. The dialogue was better than adequate. Plotlines followed existing stories loosely but well. Episodes were engaging. And most importantly for me, the show did not think its target audience was idiots. Stories were filled with real adult themes that kids could easily understand. Heck. I can think of two or three adult themes from that Saturday morning cartoon that would violate a few site rules discussing them, lol.

X-Men was a great show for its time. I am glad my daughter's generation could enjoy it. Selfishly, I am happy for the reboot coming to Disney+. I will always be a big kid after all. :p

quickccc

Reaction score
Going back for a second to a previous subtopic, I confess being envious of my daughter's Saturday morning cartoon choices growing up as a preteen in the 1990's. She would be the first to tell anyone how jealous I was of her having X-Men as a choice.

The series was never as hardcore as the comic books. And the animation background was drawn with less quality than the characters in any given scene.

I could not think of anything else to subtract from the show. The dialogue was better than adequate. Plotlines followed existing stories loosely but well. Episodes were engaging. And most importantly for me, the show did not think its target audience was idiots. Stories were filled with real adult themes that kids could easily understand. Heck. I can think of two or three adult themes from that Saturday morning cartoon that would violate a few site rules discussing them, lol.

X-Men was a great show for its time. I am glad my daughter's generation could enjoy it. Selfishly, I am happy for the reboot coming to Disney+. I will always be a big kid after all. :p

I’ve heard several testimonials that have expressed how the 90’s Xmen Anime series helped cast a enlightening about the Xmen in general.

It was funny when people in the audience at the premiere of Xmen movie in 2000, were using the Wolverine quote from the 90’s series … “ I go where I wanna go

And these were not just kiddies and teenagers .. these were actual grown adults in the theater audience saying those quotes.
(yeh, I saw the film more than once, and yet that quote was still coming in the audiences)

I’d like to go back and research the TV ratings for Xmen-90’s series, because that quote would suggest quite a number of people were tuning in to
Saturday morning Xmen.

- One person told me that they previously had no interest in hero toons,.. until their own kids were constantly about the house with Xmen mania,.. TShirts, posters,..
dinner table talk, drive thru food, family get togethers, etc etc, ..and he felt so naïve stupid and left out of Xmen discussion that he would’ve loved to be a part of, so that
spark his interest to start learning Xmen.
And it started with the 90’s Xmen anime series, and then onto reading his kids’ Marvel comics, ..or a trip to Half Price bookstore.
Of course, it was Wolverine that he really got a kick outta of, and wanted even more of .

So from those that were not initially Marvel or Xmen comic book followers, the 90’s Xmen series were not a new-born blast to the Xmen, but a start to Marvel mania in general.

250px-X-men-animated-series-intro.jpg

220px-Wolverine_%28James_%27Logan%27_Howlett%29.png

quickccc

Reaction score

One more add on to Xmen's 90' animation series, i thought it brought far more display. length and in depth that what i could imagine reading in the Marvel comic books.

For Example - the showdown Dark Phoenix vs Professor Charles Xavier .. from the Xmen comic book, it was just a blink of an eye battle.

Whereas in Xmen-90's series (episode " The Dark Phoenix, Part III: The Dark Phoenix ") .. " it gave us a beautiful, artful visual artwork one on one battle display between the two,
that played on a ' telepathy mental level " with Xavier even having to transform into an ' armored soldier " takin on Dark Phoenix, ..before Xavier himself had to call upon Jean Grey inside
to help him finally defeat Dark Phoenix.

A totally different, and far better than the Phoenix/Xavier fight with the 90s series, ...than what was in the comics.

Best Xmen 90’s Anime episodes: (my list)
1) Dark Phoenix
2) Phoenix Saga
3) Repo (Wolverine vs Alpha Flight)
4) Days of Future Past/ Final Decision
5) Time Fugitives (Cable vs Apocalypse)
6) Juggernaut Returns ( Xavier rescues Marko’s life)
7) Proteus
8) Cold Vengeance ( Wolverine vs Sabretooth in Alaska)
9) Whatever it Takes (Shadow King)
10) Night Crawler

250px-X-men-animated-series-intro.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where does the DCEU go if the unthinkable happens and ‘Black Adam’ bombs?
By Scott Campbell | We Got This Covered
October 20, 2022

If you’ve been anywhere near social media for the last week or so, then you’ll be keenly aware that a large number of longtime DCEU fans have hedged their bets on Black Adam kicking off a brand new era for the long-suffering franchise.

Star and producer Dwayne Johnson may have come under fire for referring to her long-awaited debut as “Phase One” of the shared superhero saga’s expansion plans, but Marvel Studios verbiage aside, the 50 year-old is saying and doing all the right things. That being said, what happens if the unthinkable nightmare comes true, and Black Adam bombs at the box office?

Comic book adaptations have largely proven to be bulletproof in spite of critical reactions, but the DCEU has tended to be wildly inconsistent when it comes to any sort of correlation between critical and commercial performance. Shazam!, Birds of Prey, and The Suicide Squad are the three top-rated blockbusters on Rotten Tomatoes not named Wonder Woman, but they also happen to rank as three of the franchise’s four lowest-grossing entries – with the <censored>-afflicted Wonder Woman 1984 the other.

Read more

Two things. First...

DWAYNE JOHNSON IS 50????????????

I did not realize he was 50. I am getting old. Second, I think this is a very valid question. It is bad enough Warner Bros Discovery has not implemented a solid plan for their superhero movies from the start.

Giving Johnson free reign to do what he does best, namely promote through hype, may end up being another ill-conceived strategy. He has done his job. In my opinion, his hype machine has pumped Black Adam to the public relations heights of an, say, Avengers: Infinity War. I do not think it is unfair saying audience expectations are high in large part due to Johnson's efforts.

Thing is, A:IW needed neither build up nor hype before its release. The previous Marvel Phases did that and A:IW delivered. BIG time.

Johnson has largely inflated moviegoers' anticipation. It will not take much to stick a pin in and pop that humongous balloon.

quickccc

Reaction score
Where does the DCEU go if the unthinkable happens and ‘Black Adam’ bombs?
By Scott Campbell | We Got This Covered
October 20, 2022

If you’ve been anywhere near social media for the last week or so, then you’ll be keenly aware that a large number of longtime DCEU fans have hedged their bets on Black Adam kicking off a brand new era for the long-suffering franchise.

Star and producer Dwayne Johnson may have come under fire for referring to her long-awaited debut as “Phase One” of the shared superhero saga’s expansion plans, but Marvel Studios verbiage aside, the 50 year-old is saying and doing all the right things. That being said, what happens if the unthinkable nightmare comes true, and Black Adam bombs at the box office?

Comic book adaptations have largely proven to be bulletproof in spite of critical reactions, but the DCEU has tended to be wildly inconsistent when it comes to any sort of correlation between critical and commercial performance. Shazam!, Birds of Prey, and The Suicide Squad are the three top-rated blockbusters on Rotten Tomatoes not named Wonder Woman, but they also happen to rank as three of the franchise’s four lowest-grossing entries – with the pandemic-afflicted Wonder Woman 1984 the other.

Read more

Two things. First...

DWAYNE JOHNSON IS 50????????????

I did not realize he was 50. I am getting old. Second, I think this is a very valid question. It is bad enough Warner Bros Discovery has not implemented a solid plan for their superhero movies from the start.

Giving Johnson free reign to do what he does best, namely promote through hype, may end up being another ill-conceived strategy. He has done his job. In my opinion, his hype machine has pumped Black Adam to the public relations heights of an, say, Avengers: Infinity War. I do not think it is unfair saying audience expectations are high in large part due to Johnson's efforts.

Thing is, A:IW needed neither build up nor hype before its release. The previous Marvel Phases did that and A:IW delivered. BIG time.

Johnson has largely inflated moviegoers' anticipation. It will not take much to stick a pin in and pop that humongous balloon.

" <censored>-afflicted " or not, Wonder Woman was utterly dreadful ! ,..and this is where i am hoping the new Warner Bros/DC Comics new direction steps in and
go over head decide or replace Patty Jenkins altogether as WW director.

- Black Adam hype similar to Avengers Infinity " ..? Naah as the Flavor Flav song says " Don't Believe da Hype " lol :muttley:

As virtually " always the case" .. Adam's big success or big flop failure ..is gonna flat depend upon those ole so precious reviews of movie critics that audience seemingly
have to depend upon their decision to see or don;t see anything at the theaters