Comics and Movies

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where does the DCEU go if the unthinkable happens and ‘Black Adam’ bombs?
By Scott Campbell | We Got This Covered
October 20, 2022

If you’ve been anywhere near social media for the last week or so, then you’ll be keenly aware that a large number of longtime DCEU fans have hedged their bets on Black Adam kicking off a brand new era for the long-suffering franchise.

Star and producer Dwayne Johnson may have come under fire for referring to her long-awaited debut as “Phase One” of the shared superhero saga’s expansion plans, but Marvel Studios verbiage aside, the 50 year-old is saying and doing all the right things. That being said, what happens if the unthinkable nightmare comes true, and Black Adam bombs at the box office?

Comic book adaptations have largely proven to be bulletproof in spite of critical reactions, but the DCEU has tended to be wildly inconsistent when it comes to any sort of correlation between critical and commercial performance. Shazam!, Birds of Prey, and The Suicide Squad are the three top-rated blockbusters on Rotten Tomatoes not named Wonder Woman, but they also happen to rank as three of the franchise’s four lowest-grossing entries – with the pandemic-afflicted Wonder Woman 1984 the other.

Read more

Two things. First...

DWAYNE JOHNSON IS 50????????????

I did not realize he was 50. I am getting old. Second, I think this is a very valid question. It is bad enough Warner Bros Discovery has not implemented a solid plan for their superhero movies from the start.

Giving Johnson free reign to do what he does best, namely promote through hype, may end up being another ill-conceived strategy. He has done his job. In my opinion, his hype machine has pumped Black Adam to the public relations heights of an, say, Avengers: Infinity War. I do not think it is unfair saying audience expectations are high in large part due to Johnson's efforts.

Thing is, A:IW needed neither build up nor hype before its release. The previous Marvel Phases did that and A:IW delivered. BIG time.

Johnson has largely inflated moviegoers' anticipation. It will not take much to stick a pin in and pop that humongous balloon.

I don’t blame Johnson at all. He’s wanted to create a film as this character for about a decade now. The trouble is at the corporate level with Warner Bros. Discovery needs to get rid of anyone who’s connected to this or any of the DCEU films that have preceded it. Start entirely from scratch at Square One and pretend we’ve never seen any of these heroes before. Then hope the audience comes along for the new ride.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
" pandemic-afflicted " or not, Wonder Woman was utterly dreadful ! ,..and this is where i am hoping the new Warner Bros/DC Comics new direction steps in and
go over head decide or replace Patty Jenkins altogether as WW director.

- Black Adam hype similar to Avengers Infinity " ..? Naah as the Flavor Flav song says " Don't Believe da Hype " lol :muttley:

As virtually " always the case" .. Adam's big success or big flop failure ..is gonna flat depend upon those ole so precious reviews of movie critics that audience seemingly
have to depend upon their decision to see or don;t see anything at the theaters

I agree about Wonder Woman ‘84. That film was terrible and it had nothing to do with the pandemic whatsoever. People need to stop being afraid to tell the truth about that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Black Adam hype similar to Avengers Infinity " ..? Naah as the Flavor Flav song says " Don't Believe da Hype " lol :muttley:
Maybe I was not clear enough. I was not saying Black Adam hype was similar to Avengers: Infinity War hype. By comparison, Johnson's hyping of his movie is gigantic in relationship to what preceded Avengers: Infinity War.

What I am saying is that Johnson has poured so much energy into hyping Black Adam that it may make it seem a much larger movie than it really is. Moviegoers will soon find out whether the film matches Johnson's hype or falls way short of it.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe I was not clear enough. I was not saying Black Adam hype was similar to Avengers: Infinity War hype. By comparison, Johnson's hyping of his movie is gigantic in relationship to what preceded Avengers: Infinity War.

What I am saying is that Johnson has poured so much energy into hyping Black Adam that it may make it seem a much larger movie than it really is. Moviegoers will soon find out whether the film matches Johnson's hype or falls way short of it.
Well early reviews are saying it's gonna fall well short....not good

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well early reviews are saying it's gonna fall well short....not good
I avoid reviews as much as possible before seeing a movie. It would not surprise me if what you have seen or read is true though.

Unless a studio "knows" it has a can't miss blockbuster on its hands, mega hype should be restricted to properties that have gained a reputation from previously released work. The closest thing Black Adam can hang its hat on is Shazam! and the trailers suggest it is not trying to tie itself to that 2019 film. It would not have given BA any real huge boost with audiences anyway if it did in my opinion. Then again, the Suicide Squad movies may be more applicable in that sense but they were not big hits either.

My plans are still seeing it sometime tomorrow. Then I can give it my personal review, lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Where does the DCEU go if the unthinkable happens and ‘Black Adam’ bombs?
By Scott Campbell | We Got This Covered
October 20, 2022

If you’ve been anywhere near social media for the last week or so, then you’ll be keenly aware that a large number of longtime DCEU fans have hedged their bets on Black Adam kicking off a brand new era for the long-suffering franchise.

Star and producer Dwayne Johnson may have come under fire for referring to her long-awaited debut as “Phase One” of the shared superhero saga’s expansion plans, but Marvel Studios verbiage aside, the 50 year-old is saying and doing all the right things. That being said, what happens if the unthinkable nightmare comes true, and Black Adam bombs at the box office?

Comic book adaptations have largely proven to be bulletproof in spite of critical reactions, but the DCEU has tended to be wildly inconsistent when it comes to any sort of correlation between critical and commercial performance. Shazam!, Birds of Prey, and The Suicide Squad are the three top-rated blockbusters on Rotten Tomatoes not named Wonder Woman, but they also happen to rank as three of the franchise’s four lowest-grossing entries – with the <censored>-afflicted Wonder Woman 1984 the other.

Read more

Two things. First...

DWAYNE JOHNSON IS 50????????????

I did not realize he was 50. I am getting old. Second, I think this is a very valid question. It is bad enough Warner Bros Discovery has not implemented a solid plan for their superhero movies from the start.

Giving Johnson free reign to do what he does best, namely promote through hype, may end up being another ill-conceived strategy. He has done his job. In my opinion, his hype machine has pumped Black Adam to the public relations heights of an, say, Avengers: Infinity War. I do not think it is unfair saying audience expectations are high in large part due to Johnson's efforts.

Thing is, A:IW needed neither build up nor hype before its release. The previous Marvel Phases did that and A:IW delivered. BIG time.

Johnson has largely inflated moviegoers' anticipation. It will not take much to stick a pin in and pop that humongous balloon.
I didn't realize he was a her.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I avoid reviews as much as possible before seeing a movie. It would not surprise me if what you have seen or read is true though.

Unless a studio "knows" it has a can't miss blockbuster on its hands, mega hype should be restricted to properties that have gained a reputation from previously released work. The closest thing Black Adam can hang its hat on is Shazam! and the trailers suggest it is not trying to tie itself to that 2019 film. It would not have given BA any real huge boost with audiences anyway if it did in my opinion. Then again, the Suicide Squad movies may be more applicable in that sense but they were not big hits either.

My plans are still seeing it sometime tomorrow. Then I can give it my personal review, lol.
I'll get an eye exam in preparation, so I can be sure the reading isn't too much for them.:grin:

nobody

Reaction score

Now that I have seen your rating, I definitely don't want to see it. Unless you score it a 9 or higher, I'm pretty sure I'll hate it.
:lmao::lmao2:

Seriously though, the flaws you pointed out would just take me right out of the movie. It's sad because some of those characters are interesting. Some actors just aren't really actors. They are just themselves in different roles, playing variations of the same guy over and over. The Rock is one of them. Tom Cruise is another for the most part. That's okay if they stick to certain kinds of movies. It doesn't work for fully fleshed out characters with rich histories of their own.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Now that I have seen your rating, I definitely don't want to see it. Unless you score it a 9 or higher, I'm pretty sure I'll hate it.
:lmao::lmao2:

Seriously though, the flaws you pointed out would just take me right out of the movie. It's sad because some of those characters are interesting. Some actors just aren't really actors. They are just themselves in different roles, playing variations of the same guy over and over. The Rock is one of them. Tom Cruise is another for the most part. That's okay if they stick to certain kinds of movies. It doesn't work for fully fleshed out characters with rich histories of their own.
In Tom's defense, his role in Tropic Thunder was a much different part for him, and he played it well. Of course, the makeup probably helped.

nobody

Reaction score
In Tom's defense, his role in Tropic Thunder was a much different part for him, and he played it well. Of course, the makeup probably helped.

Tom killed it in Tropic Thunder. That's why I said "for the most part" on him. I didn't even know it was him until the credits rolled. Most of his roles basically feature the same person with minor variations. Another couple of ones that are different are his characters in Legend and Interview with the Vampire. Perhaps the problem isn't him and is the fault of directors and producers telling him to "Be that guy"

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Tom killed it in Tropic Thunder. That's why I said "for the most part" on him. I didn't even know it was him until the credits rolled. Most of his roles basically feature the same person with minor variations. Another couple of ones that are different are his characters in Legend and Interview with the Vampire. Perhaps the problem isn't him and is the fault of directors and producers telling him to "Be that guy"
He does usually have too much cockiness. I want to dislike him, but he makes really good movies. Interview with the Vampire may have helped make me more likely to enjoy his movies. I know it changed my opinion of Brad Pitt completely. Legend may be the reason directors and producers have him playing the cocky guy. He's not good at playing the humble, timid guy. (Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good flick in its time, but mostly because of Mia Sara, and Tim Curry absolutely killing it as the devil.)

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...llion-worldwide/ar-AA13iau0?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Black Adam’ Tops $140 Million at Global Box Office, ‘Ticket to Paradise’ Nears $100 Million Worldwide

220px-Black_Adam_%28film%29_poster.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...llion-worldwide/ar-AA13iau0?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Black Adam’ Tops $140 Million at Global Box Office, ‘Ticket to Paradise’ Nears $100 Million Worldwide

220px-Black_Adam_%28film%29_poster.jpg

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...-johnson-highest-box-office-open/10583660002/

NEW YORK — Warner Bros.′ “Black Adam” opened with an estimated $67 million, according to studio estimates Sunday, handing Dwayne Johnson his biggest box-office weekend as a leading man and launching the D.C. Comics character he spent a decade to bring to the big screen.

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...-johnson-highest-box-office-open/10583660002/

NEW YORK — Warner Bros.′ “Black Adam” opened with an estimated $67 million, according to studio estimates Sunday, handing Dwayne Johnson his biggest box-office weekend as a leading man and launching the D.C. Comics character he spent a decade to bring to the big screen.

Doesn't sound like Black Adam was that resounding a must see for audiences on opening weekend. I would have expected $90-100 million.

Even those like Shang Chi and The Eternals were bigger opening box offices than Black Adam ..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I gave Shazam! a slightly higher grade than Black Adam (7.50 - 7.25), although I would want to go back-and-see the latter if the urge ever hit me. The movie needed less Dwayne Johnson's world famous WWE persona in my opinion but I would take a The Rock-centric film over one that just gushes Chuck slash Big vibes.

quickccc

Reaction score
He does usually have too much cockiness. I want to dislike him, but he makes really good movies. Interview with the Vampire may have helped make me more likely to enjoy his movies. I know it changed my opinion of Brad Pitt completely. Legend may be the reason directors and producers have him playing the cocky guy. He's not good at playing the humble, timid guy. (Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good flick in its time, but mostly because of Mia Sara, and Tim Curry absolutely killing it as the devil.)

What about Jerry McGuire ?

Jerry_Maguire_movie_poster.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
I gave Shazam! a slightly higher grade than Black Adam (7.50 - 7.25), although I would want to go back-and-see the latter if the urge ever hit me. The movie needed less Dwayne Johnson's world famous WWE persona in my opinion but I would take a The Rock-centric film over one that just gushes Chuck slash Big vibes.

i keep considering finally seeing Shazam,.. but i just cannot get the thought of slap-stick comedy and silliness that Shazam trailers seems to be suggesting it is ...

And i don't like,.. nor can i relate with my super heroes being 'comical- goofy'. It gives me vibes of Jar Jar Blink in Star Wars

And its' a different means of comedy spots, and 'small occasion' such as Thor: Ragnorak, .. but Love and Thunder really just went plum loco with making it substantially drowning with
over- indulging comedy.
This is where i'd be worry about Disney's way of Marvel production- whether movie film or series.