Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i keep considering finally seeing Shazam,.. but i just cannot get the thought of slap-stick comedy and silliness that Shazam trailers seems to be suggesting it is ...

And i don't like,.. nor can i relate with my super heroes being 'comical- goofy'. It gives me vibes of Jar Jar Blink in Star Wars

And its' a different means of comedy spots, and 'small occasion' such as Thor: Ragnorak, .. but Love and Thunder really just went plum loco with making it substantially drowning with
over- indulging comedy.
This is where i'd be worry about Disney's way of Marvel production- whether movie film or series.
I dislike having to defend Shazam! but the movie is not slapstick comedy. I am the literal type so slapstick to me is like Three's Company, The Three Stooges, etc. It is not even an example of silliness like the Batman 60's series.

Not sure if you have seen the show or the movie but Shazam is patterned like Chuck (Zachary Levi's old show, which is probably why he was picked to play the superhero) or Big (Tom Hanks) as I mentioned earlier. It is a mixture of adult and childish sarcasm within a dramatic setting but both are not usually expressed at the same time in any given scene. AND IT IS DEFINITELY NOT LIKE JAR JAR BINKS! :rolleyes::laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I dislike having to defend Shazam! but the movie is not slapstick comedy. I am the literal type so slapstick to me is like Three's Company, The Three Stooges, etc. It is not even an example of silliness like the Batman 60's series.

Not sure if you have seen the show or the movie but Shazam is patterned like Chuck (Zachary Levi's old show, which is probably why he was picked to play the superhero) or Big (Tom Hanks) as I mentioned earlier. It is a mixture of adult and childish sarcasm within a dramatic setting but both are not usually expressed at the same time in any given scene. AND IT IS DEFINITELY NOT LIKE JAR JAR BINKS! :rolleyes::laugh:
I actually like the movie. Some things could've been done better, but overall I enjoyed the concept.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually like the movie. Some things could've been done better, but overall I enjoyed the concept.
I see why moviegoers liked it more than I did. It took me three years before I sat down and watched. It was what I expected, so I wasn't disappointed that I had waited so long.

It's funny. I got the exact same vibe for Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance but did I wait? No sir. I bought that ticket plus some popcorn and sat my butt down in a theater seat.

You ever had a hangover and asked yourself, "What was I thinking?" That was me about 20 minutes into GR:SOV. :D:(

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I see why moviegoers liked it more than I did. It took me three years before I sat down and watched. It was what I expected, so I wasn't disappointed that I had waited so long.

It's funny. I got the exact same vibe for Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance but did I wait? No sir. I bought that ticket plus some popcorn and sat my butt down in a theater seat.

You ever had a hangover and asked yourself, "What was I thinking?" That was me about 20 minutes into GR:SOV. :D:(
My only experience prior to the movie, regarding Shazam! was the Saturday kids' show, so I wasn't concerned with them screwing it up. The trailers looked pretty funny, and I went into it just for the comedy. I had no expectations of cheering a superhero, like I do with Spider-Man, so I was pretty satisfied. The one thing I didn't really care for was the villain, and the Venom type effects involved.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My only experience prior to the movie, regarding Shazam! was the Saturday kids' show, so I wasn't concerned with them screwing it up. The trailers looked pretty funny, and I went into it just for the comedy. I had no expectations of cheering a superhero, like I do with Spider-Man, so I was pretty satisfied. The one thing I didn't really care for was the villain, and the Venom type effects involved.
Initially, Mark Strong had me believing he could elevate the movie during the first few minutes he hit the screen. He was projecting some truly bad, if not evil, stuff. His character had a true edge at first. It soon dulled though.

Strong's Sinestro in Green Lantern was done much better. He was one of the few bright spots in that superhero movie. He got shafted in Shazam! Strong is not that bad an actor.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
i keep considering finally seeing Shazam,.. but i just cannot get the thought of slap-stick comedy and silliness that Shazam trailers seems to be suggesting it is ...

And i don't like,.. nor can i relate with my super heroes being 'comical- goofy'. It gives me vibes of Jar Jar Blink in Star Wars

And its' a different means of comedy spots, and 'small occasion' such as Thor: Ragnorak, .. but Love and Thunder really just went plum loco with making it substantially drowning with
over- indulging comedy.
This is where i'd be worry about Disney's way of Marvel production- whether movie film or series.
I held off watching Shazam for the same reasons, but finally watched it a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised, I rather enjoyed it, it wasn't as goofy as I had feared. I would say it's kinda "spiderman-ish" , it has humor but it fits and doesn't feel forced. Some of it is kinda goofy, but in a fun, endearing way, not in a "Oh man, what are they doing" kinda way, if that makes sense.... lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I still have yet to see either of those Ghost Rider films. Or that FF mess they made before they sold the rights back.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still have yet to see either of those Ghost Rider films. Or that FF mess they made before they sold the rights back.
Ghost Rider is an okay watch in my opinion, even though Nicolas Cage added an extra layer of himself into the role. :rolleyes: The special effects were pretty darn good for its time.

Sam Elliott was Sam Elliott and I am not ashamed saying I love him as himself in almost everything he plays in. I believe Eva Mendes was a bad pick for her role but she is so gosh darn beautiful that I did kicked my disapproval to the back of my skull at some point. The storyline was sparce overall.

Do me this favor if you do ever get around to watching Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and Fantastic Four. Tell me which movie sucked more. My grade for FF was a 4.00 of 10.00. It was lower for GR:SOV.

Juggernaut

Reaction score

I can't wait to see this movie and see where it's leading the MCU. Also recognized an extra. I was like...
WESg3WS.gif

It's the guy in the 'Focus Group' sketch from I Think You Should Leave. Here's the sketch for context...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:facepalm: James Cameron is at it again. He couldn't even wait until the release of his Avatar: The Way of Water before cracking on superhero movies again. :rolleyes:

James Cameron Takes Aim At Marvel, DC Characters: “They All Act Like They’re In College”
By Matt Grobar | Deadline
October 25, 2022

Add James Cameron to the list of elite filmmakers taking umbrage with today’s superhero films.

The three-time Oscar winner critiqued the storytelling of Marvel and DC in an interview with The New York Times published on Tuesday. “When I look at these big, spectacular films — I’m looking at you, Marvel and DC — it doesn’t matter how old the characters are, they all act like they’re in college,” he said. “They have relationships, but they really don’t. They never hang up their spurs because of their kids. The things that really ground us and give us power, love, and a purpose? Those characters don’t experience it, and I think that’s not the way to make movies.”

Read more

Thankfully I love much of his work. Otherwise, I would detest his neverending criticism more.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:facepalm: James Cameron is at it again. He couldn't even wait until the release of his Avatar: The Way of Water before cracking on superhero movies again. :rolleyes:

James Cameron Takes Aim At Marvel, DC Characters: “They All Act Like They’re In College”
October 25, 2022

Add James Cameron to the list of elite filmmakers taking umbrage with today’s superhero films.

The three-time Oscar winner critiqued the storytelling of Marvel and DC in an interview with The New York Times published on Tuesday. “When I look at these big, spectacular films — I’m looking at you, Marvel and DC — it doesn’t matter how old the characters are, they all act like they’re in college,” he said. “They have relationships, but they really don’t. They never hang up their spurs because of their kids. The things that really ground us and give us power, love, and a purpose? Those characters don’t experience it, and I think that’s not the way to make movies.”

Read more

Thankfully I love much of his work. Otherwise, I would detest his neverending criticism more.
It seems like Cameron feels like the heroes should forget about protecting the world, so they can spend time with their families.

Last edited by a moderator:

nobody

Reaction score
It seems like Cameron feels like the heroes should forget about protecting the world, so they can spend time with their families.

I think Cameron's problem is ego.

I hate all the accolades he got for Avatar. It's a rehashed Dances with Wolves in space. Sure it had great special effects and technology with the 3-D, but the story was mediocre, the dialogue was terrible, and the villains were two-dimensional cartoonish villains. One word: Unobtainium. That's brilliant writing for you.

So for that good film-maker turned hack to come out and whine about others movies is funny to see.

joseephuss

Reaction score

I hate all the accolades he got for Avatar. It's a rehashed Dances with Wolves in space. Sure it had great special effects and technology with the 3-D, but the story was mediocre, the dialogue was terrible, and the villains were two-dimensional cartoonish villains. One word: Unobtainium. That's brilliant writing for you.

So for that good film-maker turned hack to come out and whine about others movies is funny to see.

Unobtainium wasn't even original. It has been used in the past. It was in The Core and around before that movie. I don't care about the accolades, but I agree that the story and dialogue were terrible. The effects were great although I found everything a little bit, too clean. Similar to the Star Wars prequels. Everything was just too bright and shiny as if dirt and grime don't exist.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I chalk it up to jealousy. Several big-name directors have tried to take shots at the Marvel formula and its’ huge and repeated success. Some people seem to take offense at the success of others and rather than giving respect, they feel the need to tear it down.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unobtainium wasn't even original. It has been used in the past. It was in The Core and around before that movie. I don't care about the accolades, but I agree that the story and dialogue were terrible. The effects were great although I found everything a little bit, too clean. Similar to the Star Wars prequels. Everything was just too bright and shiny as if dirt and grime don't exist.

A great point. I think a big part of Star Wars’ original success was the fact that the universe looked dirty and ‘lived in’. It added to the reality of it and made it feel more authentic.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

October 25, 2022

Read more

“When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right, because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration,” said Coppola while in France to accept the Prix Lumiere for his contributions to cinema. “I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again. Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is.”

This, from the guy who brought you The Godfather, The Godfather 2, and The Godfather 3. :muttley:

Seriously though, how much enlightenment, knowledge, or inspiration have you ever gotten from a FFC film?