Comics and Movies

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.superherohype.com/wp-co...2023/06/swamp-thing-dcu-tv.jpg?resize=384,256

James Mangold Describes DCU’s Swamp Thing as a Stand-Alone Gothic Horror Movie​

Swamp Thing writer-director James Mangold shared he envisions the upcoming superhero movie as a stand-alone entry in the DC Universe.

During a recent interview with Variety, Mangold admitted he’s approaching Swamp Thing from an entirely different angle than that of DC Studios.

swamp-thing-dcu-tv.jpg
(sorry for previous bad link, this appears to be a better link of the article)

https://movieweb.com/james-mangold-...lone-gothic-horror-not-a-big-franchise-movie/

James Mangold Views DCU's Swamp Thing as a "Stand-Alone Gothic Horror", Not A Big Franchise Movie​

There have been a few attempts to make a success of DC’s Swamp Thing, from live action movies of the 1980s, through an animated children’s cartoon and the one-season wonder of 2019’s TV series. Now a new movie based on the plant/human hybrid has been surprisingly announced as part of the new DCU’s first wave of projects, with Logan and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny director James Mangold taking the helm.

While promoting Harrison Ford’s final Indiana Jones outing, Mangold revealed a few more details about how he believes the new iteration of Swamp Thing will fit into the world James Gunn and Peter Safran are creating around the characters of DC. In essence, it really doesn’t as far as he is concerned. Mangold told Variety:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Warner Bros. needs to stop copying Disney and let its superheroes fly solo

By Mike Calia | CNBC
June 25, 2023

“The Flash” is a flop. “Black Adam” was a bust. And does anyone remember “Shazam: Fury of the Gods”?

DC Studios needs more than a hero, it needs a new strategy – something different than even its recently established reboot plan.

DC and its parent company, Warner Bros. Discovery, have Marvel Cinematic Universe envy. It’s easy to see why. The MCU’s movies, including ones that haven’t been released by Disney , have grossed about $30 billion worldwide since 2008. Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav has directed DC Studios co-CEOs James Gunn and Peter Safran to create their own shared universe involving iconic characters like Batman and Superman.

Read more

I do not believe the problem is DC copying Disney. The issue is poorly copying and executing what Disney has mostly done. And 'poorly' may not be the best description.

There is nothing wrong with standalones. The Batman, although an Elseworlds plot, was well-received and raked in nearly $800 million worldwide.

It should not be necessary for Warner Bros Discovery to shift totally to standalones though. Like Marvel, DC characters do not exist totally within mini-vacuums separate from one another. They interact with one another both within and outside their solo comic book titles.

The DCEU was not a blueprint. It was a page out of a coloring book, being completed by individuals handed bad crayons. James Gunn and Peter Safran were brought in to trash that coloring book and start (as fresh as possible) with an actual long-term DCU blueprint. Hopefully, audiences will remain patient enough to wait-and-see whether a thought out philosophy can succeed or not.
I think Marvel is now showing how the tied together story can also flop miserably. The whole ‘build the Avengers and fight Thanos’ thing was excellent. It was a new concept. Everything made sense, easy to keep track, most end credit scenes tied in great w main theme, and even the climax Avenger movie was clever with the time travel theme and revisiting all past movie scenes.

Now I have to watch all these freaking TV shows to understand the events, the only multiverse story that made sense was Spiderman which was a great fan service movie, the end credit scenes are starting to be random, they’re dropping main character fan favorites like flies, the Kang Villain is not nearly as cool as Thanos…. And some of it just overload and overkill. They’ll still make money but I think the golden years are over.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Marvel is now showing how the tied together story can also flop miserably. The whole ‘build the Avengers and fight Thanos’ thing was excellent. It was a new concept. Everything made sense, easy to keep track, most end credit scenes tied in great w main theme, and even the climax Avenger movie was clever with the time travel theme and revisiting all past movie scenes.

Now I have to watch all these freaking TV shows to understand the events, the only multiverse story that made sense was Spiderman which was a great fan service movie, the end credit scenes are starting to be random, they’re dropping main character fan favorites like flies, the Kang Villain is not nearly as cool as Thanos…. And some of it just overload and overkill. They’ll still make money but I think the golden years are over.
Could be over for a good percentage of the general audience. Me? I grew up with these stories. Purchase WAY too many and re-read them too many times. I'm sticking through the lean years as much as I did through the golden ones. It is the studios' commitment that will determine whether they continue entertaining me in the years to come.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They’re definitely not what they used to be. There have been some questionable decisions made post Endgame. Still good, but not up to past levels.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

10 Best All-Female Superhero Teams

By Cailyn Szelinski | CBR
June 28, 2023

Black Canary has recruited a new team of female superheroes and anti-heroes for the newest Birds of Prey comic line-up. The new all-female superhero team will consist of Harley Quinn, Zealot, Cassandra Cain, Big Barda, and their leader Black Canary. The new comic series starring the super-group will release in September 2023.

While the Birds of Prey are a force to be reckoned with, comic history is riddled with teams of female superheroes who lead compelling storylines and take out the most dangerous villains in the galaxy or street-level crime that plagues their city. Regardless of who they fight, all-female superhero teams are as entertaining as they are powerful.

Read more

10. DC Bombshell Batgirls
09. A-Force
08. Birds Of Prey
07. Dora Milaje
06. Femforce
05. Fearless Defenders
04. 2013 X-Men
03. Spider-Women
02. The Amazons

01. Lady Liberators

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Storm & 9 Other Marvel Comics Characters Who Can Control The Elements
By Thayer Preece Parker | CBR
June 29, 2023

Throughout human history, people have been fascinated by the four classical elements — air, water, fire, and earth. As a result, these primal forces have often featured in mythology, both old and new. In Marvel Comics, various characters use their powers to tap into these core elements, making the people wielding them some of the strongest beings in the world.

Read more

10. Storm
09. Hydro-Man
08. Human Torch
07. Rictor
06. Thor
05. Iceman
04. Firestar
03. Quake
02. Cyclone

01. Crystal

Someone by the name Thayer Preece Parker slotted Storm at number... ten?

The Omega-level mutant who once impressed THOR ODINSON with her power of The Storm. That Storm?

The X-Men who once squatted a stable and stationary CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE over the island of Manhattan. Out of thin air. That Storm?

Ororo Munroe? The Weather Witch? Mistress of the Elements? The Windrider? That Storm?

My brain hurts.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Warner Bros. Is Starting to Fix Max’s Dreadful Creator Credits

By James Whitbrook | Gizmodo
June 29, 2023

It’s not exactly been the greatest of times, public relations-wise, when it comes to Warner Bros. lately. Whether it’s The Flash speeding headfirst into disaster, its CEO becoming the perpetual media industry villain of the week, or HBO Max’s troubled relaunch as simply Max. But! A small glimmer of good news.

It’s mostly that it’s fixing another headache of its own making, though.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Does Review Bombing Actually Hurt Movies, TV Shows And Video Games?

By Paul Tassi | Forbes
June 29, 2023

In this age of culture wars over various entertainment properties, fans have limited options in making their voices heard. There’s complaining on social media, but there are also the high-profile review sites and services that act as recommendation engines for content.

The New York Times recently published an article about how review bombing on a place like Goodreads harms authors by creating bad buzz, whether or not the reviewers in question have read the book.

Read more

quickccc

Reaction score
Storm & 9 Other Marvel Comics Characters Who Can Control The Elements
By Thayer Preece Parker | CBR
June 29, 2023

Throughout human history, people have been fascinated by the four classical elements — air, water, fire, and earth. As a result, these primal forces have often featured in mythology, both old and new. In Marvel Comics, various characters use their powers to tap into these core elements, making the people wielding them some of the strongest beings in the world.

Read more

10. Storm
09. Hydro-Man
08. Human Torch
07. Rictor
06. Thor
05. Iceman
04. Firestar
03. Quake
02. Cyclone

01. Crystal

Someone by the name Thayer Preece Parker slotted Storm at number... ten?

The Omega-level mutant who once impressed THOR ODINSON with her power of The Storm. That Storm?

The X-Men who once squatted a stable and stationary CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE over the island of Manhattan. Out of thin air. That Storm?

Ororo Munroe? The Weather Witch? Mistress of the Elements? The Windrider? That Storm?

My brain hurts.

Is that Firestar from " Spiderman and his Amazing Friends " ?

Ditto for Iceman,..... another Spidey and Amazing friends ?

Firestar
c2b2b62e3d2f8cb70e53e8adeeb3a2b5.jpg

Bobby Drake Iceman
2d5b3930b201d4dfc9d1a36d0d29d67a.jpg

Remember Texas Twister per Marvel ?

dcf65d23557985ac736d929beadcdd9c.jpg

3f70a3b65d758a9f22b3afb252301686.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.ranker.com/list/best-female-superhero-movies/ranker-film

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/hollywood/female-led-superhero-movies-and-tv-shows-1186406

Favorite Female superhero (or villain) leads in Movies:

This is My own list and rankings; (who am I missing ?) :)

Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot)

Black Widow (Johannsson)

Storm (Berry and Shipp)

Jean Grey – Dark Phoenix (Famke Janssen, 56, in X-Men (2000) and its sequels; Sophie Turner in X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) and Dark Phoenix (2019)

Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen)

Hela - Thor Ragnorak (Cate Blanchett)

Mystique (Lawrence, Romijn)

Shuri -Wakanda Forever

Elektra - Daredevil (Jennifer Gardner, Elodie Yung)

Jessie Jones Netflix

Harley Quinn Suicide Squad/Birds of Prey (Margot Robbie)

Wasp- Hope Pym (Nicole Evangeline Lilly )

Collen Wing - Iron Fist

57238f7f504a5f1cbbd4ba5a11dd2b30.jpg

7571b8591e27ae16a878dafe32aecc32.jpg

0a0772f569113d4fdd594be6b5f67630.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/a2/**/b2/a2afb2d2aacbbae67f7b74521cc1a38a.jpg

1c7d2edc85ec05faa2596739ceb43fe1.jpg
550cf677547bfb3d0f572ce6e124ba32.jpg

4e17e8120dcefcf5dc05caa511a7d286.jpg

574f4ed97936c60c923be436e1fc56ca.jpg

729a76706088d491cbfa585d125c041c.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is that Firestar from " Spiderman and his Amazing Friends " ?

Ditto for Iceman,..... another Spidey and Amazing friends ?
The answer is both yes and no to both mutants. The Saturday morning cartoon takes place on Earth-8107, so it is both characters but from another universe. The article refers to Marvel Comics' central Earth-616 for both Angelica Jones and Bobby Drake.

Trivia time. Iceman was created in 1963, so Marvel had a ready made character, along with Spider-Man, for NBC's new cartoon series for the 1981 season. The Human Torch was projected to be the third of the show's trio but the character's licensing rights were tied up at that time.

Marvel created a brand new, NON comic book character as Johnny Storm's replacement. Angelica Jones is one of a minority of canon characters, who got their start outside of the printed page. The cartoon series debuted in September of that year. Angelica Jones' first one-shot comic book appearance, based on the show's opening episode, followed that December:

9bde9GX.png

I remember wondering who was this mutant I had never seen before. :) The show made her so popular that Marvel 're-introduced' her character as canon within the pages of Earth-616's The Uncanny X-Men in 1985.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Samuel L. Jackson and Olivia Coleman talk new Marvel series

By Kevin McCarthy | Fox 5 DC
July 4, 2023

Interview article/the embedded video can be viewed at this link (the video link does not operate in a CowboysZone post).

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Suicide Squad ISEKAI | Announcement | DC

The clip is not only anime-based but the story is fully or partially Isekai, which is situations when main character(s) are transferred from a 'normal' world to an alternate one. Perhaps it is not completely a DC Elseworlds plot type but I believe it will have a strong Japanese storytelling format. The artwork looks outstanding, regardless of the final product's script quality.

quickccc

Reaction score
The answer is both yes and no to both mutants. The Saturday morning cartoon takes place on Earth-8107, so it is both characters but from another universe. The article refers to Marvel Comics' central Earth-616 for both Angelica Jones and Bobby Drake.

Trivia time. Iceman was created in 1963, so Marvel had a ready made character, along with Spider-Man, for NBC's new cartoon series for the 1981 season. The Human Torch was projected to be the third of the show's trio but the character's licensing rights were tied up at that time.

Marvel created a brand new, NON comic book character as Johnny Storm's replacement. Angelica Jones is one of a minority of canon characters, who got their start outside of the printed page. The cartoon series debuted in September of that year. Angelica Jones' first one-shot comic book appearance, based on the show's opening episode, followed that December:

9bde9GX.png

I remember wondering who was this mutant I had never seen before. :) The show made her so popular that Marvel 're-introduced' her character as canon within the pages of Earth-616's The Uncanny X-Men in 1985.

What's funny is once the Spider Man and his Amazing Friends became a TV hit .. I tried to scramble to the stores to try to find out more about this Firestar as I had never heard of her
before. And I definitely did not know nothing of her origin.

But I still cannot recall any episode of Amazing Friends where it revealed Angelica's origin. Did I miss it ? :huh:

Unfortunately there was not even a such thing dreamed thought of " Internet " back in those ole school dayz .. lol

ed20b11e7cb4fba138d36b2fb7a844b8.jpg

e262aa623688583cad03ac689c80d280.jpg

2a998889bd0402a547666aa0b0e48b76.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score

Suicide Squad ISEKAI | Announcement | DC

The clip is not only anime-based but the story is fully or partially Isekai, which is situations when main character(s) are transferred from a 'normal' world to an alternate one. Perhaps it is not completely a DC Elseworlds plot type but I believe it will have a strong Japanese storytelling format. The artwork looks outstanding, regardless of the final product's script quality.

The artwork format of this Suicide Squad tick reminds me very much of " Batman Ninja "

057e24295f0e3f849163e99953291b42.jpg

385d646a409cffe8d4b9a8bea4ac7e5f.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score

9bde9GX.png

Interesting, .. I did not realize " Amazing Friends " originated from the series that was simply called " Spiderman " ..

I know I was such a youngie, but i don't recall this general " Spiderman" series.... without the two added mutants.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What's funny is once the Spider Man and his Amazing Friends became a TV hit .. I tried to scramble to the stores to try to find out more about this Firestar as I had never heard of her
before. And I definitely did not know nothing of her origin.

But I still cannot recall any episode of Amazing Friends where it revealed Angelica's origin. Did I miss it ? :huh:

Unfortunately there was not even a such thing dreamed thought of " Internet " back in those ole school dayz .. lol

ed20b11e7cb4fba138d36b2fb7a844b8.jpg

e262aa623688583cad03ac689c80d280.jpg

2a998889bd0402a547666aa0b0e48b76.jpg
She looks fat. :muttley: