Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still cannot recall any episode of Amazing Friends where it revealed Angelica's origin. Did I miss it ? :huh:
Her Saturday morning origin story can be seen in episode 16, A Firestar Is Born, on Disney+. Some of the highlights are seeing her powers manifest before puberty (something which did not happen to the bulk of mutants, if not all mutants, in the comics before the show), her first fight, creating her uniform, and meeting the X-Men for the first time.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting, .. I did not realize " Amazing Friends " originated from the series that was simply called " Spiderman " ..

I know I was such a youngie, but i don't recall this general " Spiderman" series.... without the two added mutants.
That series ended up airing in syndication, while Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends aired on NBC. My guess is that network executives considered certain aspects of show should not be seen on Saturday mornings. If true, Marvel likely scrambled, put together another series based on those concerns, and were successful selling the revised show to NBC.

The prior show would have been routed to syndication and prevented a total write-off by Marvel. In the end, audiences got Spider-Man themed shows both as a Saturday morning series and another series that came on later during the day on Saturday or maybe during weekday afternoons (I forget).

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

10 Harsh Realities Of Reading Silver Age Comics

By David Harth | CBR
July 8, 2023

The comic artform's origins are lost to time, but the 20th century would see them changed forever. The Golden Age of Comics – beginning with Superman's first appearance – was ushered in as Marvel and DC Comics created icons that would last the test of time. Superhero comics lost their luster in the '50s, but after a few years, DC would kick off the Silver Age with Showcase #4.

The Silver Age was a wildly creative time, with many of pop culture's biggest character premiering. Legends like Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Julius Schwartz, Roy Thomas, John Broome, and Gardner Fox changed the language of comics. That said, going back and reading the comics of the Silver Age reveals some harsh realities – ones that many fans gloss over to praise a part of comic book history.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Zack Snyder's "Star Wars" Movie, Rebel Moon, Is Already Avoiding Lucasfilm's Biggest Mistake

Padraig Cotter | ScreenRant
July 9, 2023

Zack Snyder's forthcoming sci-fi epic Rebel Moon is already avoiding a major issue faced by Lucasfilm on the most recent Star Wars movies. It's widely known Snyder once pitched Rebel Moon as a Star Wars movie, which was quickly rejected around the time Disney purchased Lucasfilm and confirmed a Star Wars sequel trilogy. This was cause for much excitement back in 2012, but in just about every meaning of the word, the response to the trilogy was decidedly mixed. Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a huge success, but while it received positive reviews, it was seen as a safe return that took few risks.

Conversely, Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi took some major swings with the property. The sequel was another success, but opinions on it were divisive, with some praising its franchise subversions and others hating it for the same reasons. Trilogy capper The Rise of Skywalker is a film that seemingly pleased nobody and ended the trilogy on a whimper. The TV side of the franchise has found success on streaming, but on the big screen, there hasn't been a new entry since 2019. A trio of Star Wars movies is currently in development, but Rebel Moon will beat them all to the punch when it arrives in December 2023.

Read more

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Zack Snyder's "Star Wars" Movie, Rebel Moon, Is Already Avoiding Lucasfilm's Biggest Mistake

Padraig Cotter | ScreenRant
July 9, 2023

Zack Snyder's forthcoming sci-fi epic Rebel Moon is already avoiding a major issue faced by Lucasfilm on the most recent Star Wars movies. It's widely known Snyder once pitched Rebel Moon as a Star Wars movie, which was quickly rejected around the time Disney purchased Lucasfilm and confirmed a Star Wars sequel trilogy. This was cause for much excitement back in 2012, but in just about every meaning of the word, the response to the trilogy was decidedly mixed. Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a huge success, but while it received positive reviews, it was seen as a safe return that took few risks.

Conversely, Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi took some major swings with the property. The sequel was another success, but opinions on it were divisive, with some praising its franchise subversions and others hating it for the same reasons. Trilogy capper The Rise of Skywalker is a film that seemingly pleased nobody and ended the trilogy on a whimper. The TV side of the franchise has found success on streaming, but on the big screen, there hasn't been a new entry since 2019. A trio of Star Wars movies is currently in development, but Rebel Moon will beat them all to the punch when it arrives in December 2023.

Read more
Yeah. Snyder has a ‘plan’. Just like he did for DC.

How’d that work out?

Maybe we should ask the people at Warner Bros?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lex Luthor Shows You What All Comic Book Previews Should Look Like

By Rich Johnston | Bleeding Cool
July 10, 2023

This week DC Comics will be running an ad for Superman: The Last Days Of Lex Luthor, the new comic book series by Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch which does the bare minimum in advertising the comic book, which is leagues ahead of most attempts. It previews the comic perfectly, sets up the themes, appeals to a potential audience of the comic, shows off the art...

Read more

WSQcPkFe.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’s victorious VOD release reveals why James Gunn was wrong to hype ‘The Flash’

By Christian Bone | We Got This Covered
July 10, 2023

It’s been a funny weekend for James Gunn as evidence proves that, while his own filmmaking instincts are second to none, his perceptions of superhero movies made by other people might not be as top-notch. The good news is that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 recently arrived on digital, and its VOD release has only increased the love for the cosmic team’s last MCU ounting. The bad news? The Flash has slipped out of the box office charts completely after just four weeks.

All in all, it’s clear that Gunn’s once proud proclamation that The Flash will go down as one of the finest entries in all superhero cinema is not going to wash. But, you know what, it seems Gunn could’ve slapped that description on another movie under his purview and he would’ve been bang on the money.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

12 DC Characters Who Are Ready and Willing to Kill Joker

By Justin Epps | Screen Rant
July 9, 2023

The Joker is one of the most devious minds in the DC Universe, and he’s caused more pain and tragedy than most villains ever will. No one knows the torment the Joker inflicts more than his greatest enemy Batman. The Dark Knight always defeats the Joker but stops short of killing him due to Batman’s no-kill rule.

However, not everyone in the DCU agrees with Batman. Some think that the Joker dying would make the world a much better place and have even tried to make it happen. Read on to see 12 heroes who are ready to do what Batman won’t and kill the Joker.

12. Jim Gordon
11. Rorschach
10. The Atom

09. The Creeper
08. Hitman
07. Spectre
06. Manhunter
05. Wonder Woman
04. Magog
03. Batgirl
02. Joker
01. Red Hood

Read more

I began reading the article believing there was no way Batgirl would be lower than number two. I was wrong, lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Superman Legacy Casts Nathan Fillion as a Green Lantern Alongside Hawkgirl and Mister Terrific

By Kat Bailey | IGN
July 11, 2023

nathanfillion-guygardner-blogroll-1689114259947.jpg

Nathan Fillion is joining James Gunn's Superman Legacy film as a Green Lantern, with Edi Gathegi and Isabela Merced also announced for the film's cast. They join David Corenswet, who will play the Man of Steel, and Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane. Vanity Fair was the first to report the story.

Fillion will play Guy Gardner, a "hulking mass of masculinity" who is also somehow likable despite being, well, obnoxious. Having played a similar role in Dr. Horrible, where he portrayed superhero Captain Hammer, Fillion seems like the perfect choice. The character is known for his red bowl haircut, which Vanity Fair confirms will be part of Fillion's look in the new movie.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am so pumped for this! It looks amazing!
It looks good but I am still in wait-and-see mode. Everything about it does feel like it is a good continuation of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. The series will be very good or even great if it can accomplish that.

I have watched all these characters mature in an animation format. I am eager to see how they transition to live action.

Just getting the opportunity of seeing the evolution of Anakin Skywalker's pupil into one of the most powerful Force users in George Lucas' universe amazes me. I fully expect Rosario Dawson alone to hit her role out of the park.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It looks good but I am still in wait-and-see mode. Everything about it does feel like it is a good continuation of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. The series will be very good or even great if it can accomplish that.

I have watched all these characters mature in an animation format. I am eager to see how they transition to live action.

Just getting the opportunity of seeing the evolution of Anakin Skywalker's pupil into one of the most powerful Force users in George Lucas' universe amazes me. I fully expect Rosario Dawson alone to hit her role out of the park.
Dave Filoni’s direct involvement gives me reassurance that it won’t be another Obi Wan Kenobi.