Comics and Movies

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
@DallasEast ... wow, that's quite a lot on the dinner plate... Thanks for Sharing

i do admit that i am very much quite behind on animation series, which I myself also absolutely adore.

Maybe You and I have different views and tastes with American Animation ... but i do consider Netflix's Castlevania a heckuva tremendous animation series- ! in fact one fo the very best Animation work that i've ever seen.

" Samurai Jack " is an oldie but goodie,..as is it's spinoff " Primal " by it's creator Gennedy Tartakovsky'.

" Spawn " by
Todd McFarlane was very dark but unique.

Netflix's " Blood of Zeus " seems interesting but I but i haven't yet found time to sit and watch it.

Some Netflix anime i've heard a lot about.. ala Arcane, Grappler Baki (newer version) .Devilman Crybaby,... Trrese... etc. but i haven't got around to them

I wasn't sure with the difference among Korean, China, animation, I. had only heard the term " Japanimation "
Spawn is probably my all time favorite.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@DallasEast ... wow, that's quite a lot on the dinner plate... Thanks for Sharing

i do admit that i am very much quite behind on animation series, which I myself also absolutely adore.

Maybe You and I have different views and tastes with American Animation ... but i do consider Netflix's Castlevania a heckuva tremendous animation series- ! in fact one fo the very best Animation work that i've ever seen.

" Samurai Jack " is an oldie but goodie,..as is it's spinoff " Primal " by it's creator Gennedy Tartakovsky'.

" Spawn " by
Todd McFarlane was very dark but unique.

Netflix's " Blood of Zeus " seems interesting but I but i haven't yet found time to sit and watch it.

Some Netflix anime i've heard a lot about.. ala Arcane, Grappler Baki (newer version) .Devilman Crybaby,... Trrese... etc. but i haven't got around to them

I wasn't sure with the difference among Korean, China, animation, I. had only heard the term " Japanimation "
Castlevania is extremely good and completely adult oriented. My wife enjoys it too and is an Alucard fan. In my opinion, I do not put it above the more youth oriented American animation series, Avatar: The Last Airbender, because its story is more in-depth than the vampire series.

I have always considered Samurai Jack as cartoon than animation. It's serious moments are never really serious and superficially presented. It has very good action for its format. I have not caught Primal yet.

Spawn was another really good series. I wish Todd McFarlane and some studio would start up the series again. It has been decades.

I have not sat down and watched season two of Blood of Zeus yet. The first season was good but could have been better with more depth. It depends too much on the expectation of audience's casual familiarity with Greek mythology. I think it could sharpen its characters much more and make them more interesting. Perhaps the second season has done that.

Arcane is actually French animation. I researched the series while watching it. The storytelling style did not have the feel (for me) of either American or Asian-Pacific--plus the artwork was not quite like what I have seen before. I do wish it gets a second season. The first season only scratched at the main protagonist sister's story, which was a mixture of light and dark.

I have not caught either Grappler Baki or Trese yet. The latter has sparked more of an interest for me than the former. Baki seems like only a brawler type series. I have been hesitant in watching it if that is mainly what it offers without including a deeper plot.

I found Devilman Crybaby disturbing, kinda like how I felt about the film Se7en. Like the film, I have purposefully not rewatched Crybaby, although I was totally engrossed with the movie. Crybaby did not do the same for me.

Yasuke and Blue Eye Samurai are two Netflix offerings I would recommend. Both provide a fresh premise on the samurai plot in totally different ways.

The way I differentiate between various Asian-Pacific styles of anime are the cultural influence they tend to infuse into series and movies like way of life, architecture, etc. Some series, I would recommend reflecting differences, are Heaven's Official Blessing (Chinese), Solo Leveling (South Korean) and Attack on Titan or Jujutsu Kaisen (Japanese).

Titan has ended its ten-year run. There were only four seasons during that span but the delay between seasons were well-worth it. It has all-around HBO quality stuffed into it. Every single episode is extremely well-crafted. One of the best, if not THE best, television series anime I have ever seen.

Weirdly enough, my fifteen-year old granddaughter recommended I watch Jujutsu Kaisen recently. I finished both seasons over the past three weeks. Kaisen's first season slowly puts together ALL its characters. And there are DOZENS of characters. Contextualizes all of them extremely well. The episodic story arcs are solid.

The series SECOND season is on a totally separate tier over the first. I was totally blown away. It grabbed Crunchyroll's Anime of the Year award. I had read that before seeing the second season and was a little dubious for why. The first season was very good but exceptional over all others..? Yeah. I was skeptical. Afterwards? Completely blown away. Every episode tops the previous one. The season ender leaves a half-dozen question marks for the audience to hang onto.

If there are members reading this and do not like graphic and gory violence, do not watch the second season of Jujutsu Kaisen. :laugh:

One thing, I think we share, is enjoying 'serious' animation. The vast bulk of anime or cartoon content out there (I estimate around 60%) is geared strictly for kids. Most stuff contains zero dramatic material. The artwork is almost always an assault on brain cells. Too much of it is like the Animaniacs on crack, lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6d0a893e30246c7a12ea0e33591ec0ef.jpg
^ Another great choice. It's Hashira (sp?) Training Arc season began his month.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jar Jar Binks lives again! :laugh: Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace trailer has been remastered for its 25th anniversary.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Star Wars Creator George Lucas Addresses Martin Scorsese's Comments About Marvel Movies

By Jamie Jirak | Comicbook.com
May 24, 2024

In 2019, acclaimed director Martin Scorsese became a trending topic for comparing superhero films to theme parks. The director's comments about Marvel are often brought up in interviews with various big names in Hollywood, and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Recently, Star Wars creator George Lucas was interviewed at Cannes by Brut 9, and was asked his thoughts on Scorsese saying that Marvel movies weren't cinema.

"Look. Cinema is the art of a moving image," Lucas explained. "So if the image moves, then it's cinema. I think Marty has kind of changed his mind a little bit." Lucas went on to talk about working with Scorsese and the Film Foundation, and how the Goodfellas director was originally opposed to making movies on digital, but he also came around on that idea. Read more.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Marvel Vision Series Greenlit At Disney+ With Paul Bettany To Reprise Role

By Denise Petski | Deadline
May 22, 2024

Disney+ is set to resurrect Vision in a new series set for 2026. Paul Bettany will reprise his role as the Marvel character, who appeared in three Marvel films and WandaVision.

Star Trek: Picard EP Terry Matalas has been tapped to serve as showrunner on the new series.

Details of the new series have not been revealed, but as we previously reported, the Marvel Vision series had been in development at Disney+ since 2022. At the time, we heard the series would center on The Vision (Bettany) trying to regain his memory and humanity, While the focus is on Vision, we also heard there is a possibility for Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) to appear, which would make sense given how interconnected the two characters’ stories are in the MCU. Read more

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

May 22, 2024

Disney+ is set to resurrect Vision in a new series set for 2026. Paul Bettany will reprise his role as the Marvel character, who appeared in three Marvel films and WandaVision.

Star Trek: Picard EP Terry Matalas has been tapped to serve as showrunner on the new series.

Details of the new series have not been revealed, but as we previously reported, the Marvel Vision series had been in development at Disney+ since 2022. At the time, we heard the series would center on The Vision (Bettany) trying to regain his memory and humanity, While the focus is on Vision, we also heard there is a possibility for Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) to appear, which would make sense given how interconnected the two characters’ stories are in the MCU. Read more
I also just read that Don Cheadle’s Armor Wars film is back on track and set to begin filming early next year.

It looks like the course correction is happening at Marvel. Rather than going forward with riskier projects, the company is going back to the characters who were involved with past, successful franchises.

quickccc

Reaction score

May 22, 2024

If Vision is to be stand alone without Wanda, i'd wonder how they would take his origin since his origin emerged from Age of Ultron per MCU.
i don't want them going back to the " Invaders " . (Aarkus) .World War II dayz.

fc81d21c278305687094708b93645d1c.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Vision is to be stand alone without Wanda, i'd wonder how they would take his origin since his origin emerged from Age of Ultron per MCU.
i don't want them going back to the " Invaders " . (Aarkus) .World War II dayz.

fc81d21c278305687094708b93645d1c.jpg
Have you seen WandaVision on Disney+ yet? I have a good feeling it will pick up where that series ended concerning The Vision.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I read that Deadpool 3 was breaking records for advanced ticket sales for an R movie. So I went online and bought the last two center seats in the large screen non-3D premier at my local theater. Look forward to watching it with all the fans. I saw Avengers on opening night and it was quite the experience. Movies like that are fun to watch when you’re surrounded by hardcore fans. The theater has a bar too which is great. I think Deadpool 1 and 2 are even funnier with some booze in the system.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A Guide To Reading Old Man Logan Comics

By David Harth | CBR
May 26, 2024

Wolverine fans have gotten all kinds of stories from their favorite hero, including many alternate universe and time travel stories. This isn't really that bizarre for a member of the X-Men, as the team has always been on the cutting edge of multiversal and time travel shenanigans. There are plenty of amazing versions of Wolverine out there, but one is more popular than the rest.

Old Man Logan premiered in Wolverine (Vol. 3) #66 by Mark Millar, Steve McNiven, Dexter Vines, Morry Hollowell, and Cory Petit. The story took a villain-controlled dystopian future Marvel Universe, added a dash of Unforgiven, and went to town. "Old Man Logan was a hit with fans, and would eventually return for his own series after Wolverine's death. Old Man Logan's journey through the Marvel Universe is interesting, taking readers on an often emotional and tragic ride. Read more

A long read but its summation is a good, detailed breakdown.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read that Deadpool 3 was breaking records for advanced ticket sales for an R movie. So I went online and bought the last two center seats in the large screen non-3D premier at my local theater. Look forward to watching it with all the fans. I saw Avengers on opening night and it was quite the experience. Movies like that are fun to watch when you’re surrounded by hardcore fans. The theater has a bar too which is great. I think Deadpool 1 and 2 are even funnier with some booze in the system.
I even have fond memories of opening night of the Star Wars prequels!

This was before Thursday night advance screenings were open to the public and tickets had to be won in contests.

We had a friend who always hooked us up, and those crowds were just incredible.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

James Gunn Explains Why He Debunks Certain DCU Rumors, And Lets Others Circulate Around The Internet

Adam Holmes | Cinema Blend
May 29, 2024

sFA74PaxTdzerKnK2u8onn-650-80.jpg.webp

Ever since James Gunn started co-running DC Studios with Peter Safran in late 2022, he’s frequently been open with commenting on upcoming DC movies and upcoming DC TV shows. And that doesn’t include just confirming news, like when he made it official that Nicholas Hoult will play Lex Luthor in his Superman movie coming out next year. Gunn also isn’t shy about debunking rumors, like when he shot down the rumor that David Corenswet will also play Ultraman. But needless to say the filmmaker hasn’t commented every DC-related rumor since his tenure began, and now he’s explained why he’ll debunk some rumors concerning the DC Universe and let others circulate around the internet... Read more

quickccc

Reaction score

James Gunn Explains Why He Debunks Certain DCU Rumors, And Lets Others Circulate Around The Internet

Adam Holmes | Cinema Blend
May 29, 2024

sFA74PaxTdzerKnK2u8onn-650-80.jpg.webp

Ever since James Gunn started co-running DC Studios with Peter Safran in late 2022, he’s frequently been open with commenting on upcoming DC movies and upcoming DC TV shows. And that doesn’t include just confirming news, like when he made it official that Nicholas Hoult will play Lex Luthor in his Superman movie coming out next year. Gunn also isn’t shy about debunking rumors, like when he shot down the rumor that David Corenswet will also play Ultraman. But needless to say the filmmaker hasn’t commented every DC-related rumor since his tenure began, and now he’s explained why he’ll debunk some rumors concerning the DC Universe and let others circulate around the internet... Read more
" by creating a spinoff show called Waller, which will follow Viola Davis’ character, who most recently appeared in the Black Adam post-"

Which i truly regret the Black Adam (Don Johnson) vs Superman showdown movie will not happen under this current DC live action regime.
I thought that was a terrific set up off post credits, and even thought Johnson's Black Adam movie flick was a better, much improved beat over previous DC movies - outside the first Wonder Woman.

Methinks Black Adam flick failed at the box office - besides the usual flaming movie critics was because many were not familiar with Black Adam character ... and let's face it, DC universe does not seem to have near the huge fan base that Marvel does ... but ironically Black Adam seem to be gaining legs among streaming viewers - much like Columbiana did ?

https://www.dexerto.com/tv-movies/black-adam-dc-flop-most-watched-movie-max-2023-2282573/

" This DC flop is the most-watched movie of 2023 on Max "​

eb7ef72a19eb7f2f0351a09c5950e5a7.jpg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
" by creating a spinoff show called Waller, which will follow Viola Davis’ character, who most recently appeared in the Black Adam post-"

Which i truly regret the Black Adam (Don Johnson) vs Superman showdown movie will not happen under this current DC live action regime.

Don Johnson as Black Adam? Is he gonna dress in all pastel colors like Sonny Crockett? :muttley: