Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This will be a post of me simply typing A LOT of stuff to get it off my chest. I have zero expectations anyone else will care about the series I will talk about. This is just me using CowboysZone to vent some. :) I should add that the show's four main protagonists/heroines are all female, so stop here while you still can, lol.

I am an anime fan and somewhat nick-picky of what I enjoy. My overwhelming preference is Asian anime--primarily Japanese content but also South Korean, Chinese, etc. American based material has usually not held my attention. There have been exceptions like Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra but not much else.

For that reason, I did not give stuff from Rooster Teeth Productions of Austin, Texas an opportunity for a few years. I did eventually give their series RWBY a chance and thought I could not stomach more than two or three episodes of its first season. The animation was computer based, literally from Smith Micro Poser software. To be completely blunt, the artwork is BAD at the beginning of the series.

Characters' appearance was not very good, actually clunky AND clanky looking even. Plus, my initial impression was that it would be more cartoon like than anime. The only positives I gave the show were the fight sequences were good despite the artwork and the dialogue was smartly playful. I soon left and did not finish much of the first season.

Scrolling through programming on MAX made me give the show a second chance years later. For some unknown reason, two movies, parts one and two, were made by DC/Warner Bros Discovery, featuring RWBY characters and the Justice League..? The movies' posters displayed the characters as well-defined and evolved from what I remembered. Curiosity got the better of me, so I watched, was impressed, and understood RWBY had been much more than I thought it could become. With that, I went back to the first season and gave it another try.

Seasons one through three artwork creeped in improvement but the beginnings of the plotline were well done. For those old enough to remember, think back to how PS2 video games looked but cleaner. I was not sure where the story would go but the details were flowing and building steadily. The producers kept adding new characters, each with richly distinct personalities. That is something that does not happen as often as it should in superior Asian based anime. The voicework was good, playful but intelligent and solidly presented with zero laziness.

For me, the artwork made a significant leap in season four. Visuals and overall movement were better. It gained another even higher quality tier and smoothness in seasons five and six. Artwork quality was extremely good and seamlessly streamlined for the format of the show for seasons' seven through nine.

Without giving away spoilers, the show is loosely based on popular fairy tales and fables. It is not based on a fantasy Earth but a world called Remnant. Every season is a buildup over the previous one. The show is presented in a way like reading a book. Each chapter supplies more to the plot. One thing I enjoyed most is the main antagonist. Most anime just throw the main villain at its audience in short order. This show's main villain is hinted at for several seasons before making a debut. And it is one of the best anime villains in terms of backstory and cold-bloodedness that I have come across.

Now to what made me write all this in the first place. Season nine was not the end of the story but Warner Bros Discovery dropped Rooster Teeth Productions, officially last month. The official explanation was typical corporate gobbly-gook about non-profitability, etc. I doubt that was reason enough for them to take such drastic action. The show has a wide audience, along with popular merchandising, etc. It was well niched in producing programming content that lasted a decade. Then, all of a sudden, POOF! The studio was not good enough to keep funded.

The end had come though. The season nine finale wrapped up that chapter's story but it showed enough of a teaser of what season ten had in store. That is what royally pisses off fans of the series.

Perhaps Rooster Teeth took the wrong approach. Maybe they should have condensed RWBY's storyline and concluded it more quickly. I have not seen any of their other shows to know if they were formatted in the same way. However, it might be that Warner Bros Discovery wanted MORE new content than the studio was able to produce and keep, while maintaining its quality standards.

Who knows? What I do know is that what happened to RWBY did not make me like Warner Bros Discovery any more than how it failed at its DCEU. It really bites not seeing the end of a really good story.

I posted the series seasons' intros below for anyone bored enough to waste around fifteen minutes of their life. I think they display how the show's visuals improved from its beginning to unfortunate end. Reminder though. The main heroines are FEMALE. :p

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I couldn’t even make it through 3 Back to the Future movies several years ago.

Halfway through Part III, we were like:

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif
Ive made it through 6-7 hours of Game of Thrones, Sopranos and Breaking Bad episodes as I tried to get current. ;)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just watched Dua Lipa on SNL. I've heard of her, but this is the first time I've ever seen her. I gotta say, she's pretty funny, seems like she can act, and holy crap, she's smoking hot. Her music isn't my bag...at all.

The reason I'm putting this in this particular thread is because, if Gal Gadot ever walks away from Wonder Woman, I think Dua Lipa could fill her boots.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just watched Dua Lipa on SNL. I've heard of her, but this is the first time I've ever seen her. I gotta say, she's pretty funny, seems like she can act, and holy crap, she's smoking hot. Her music isn't my bag...at all.

The reason I'm putting this in this particular thread is because, if Gal Gadot ever walks away from Wonder Woman, I think Dua Lipa could fill her boots.
Not too familiar with Lipa, other than that Levitating song of hers. She has a similar build as Gadot. A quick IMDB search shows she has acting credits for Argylle and Barbie, neither of which I have not seen yet.

She has Albanian heritage, which gives her a fictional 'Themyscira look' that is similar to Gadot's Israeli background. Maybe she should don the Amazonian armor and let DC fans judge whether she can pull off the Princess Diana aura, lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not too familiar with Lipa, other than that Levitating song of hers. She has a similar build as Gadot. A quick IMDB search shows she has acting credits for Argylle and Barbie, neither of which I have not seen yet.

She has Albanian heritage, which gives her a fictional 'Themyscira look' that is similar to Gadot's Israeli background. Maybe she should don the Amazonian armor and let DC fans judge whether she can pull off the Princess Diana aura, lol.
I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

quickccc

Reaction score
https://comicbookmovie.com/fantasti...man-has-passed-away-aged-98-a210932#gs.9a5z5k

We have some sad news to share today because it's been confirmed that legendary B-movie filmmaker Roger Corman has passed away at 98.

He produced and directed hundreds of low-budget movies and was responsible for discovering the likes of Jack Nicholson (Little Shop of Horrors), Martin Scorsese (Boxcar Bertha), Francis Ford Coppola (Dementia 13), and Robert De Niro (Boxcar Bertha).
https://m.imdb.com/list/ls063372552/
1a32575cace566af83332f4bcf0100e8.jpg

d516a27fbf6cdcf3f417972cc3840077.jpg

923fbfb3e14e52748c7433f1119939f8.jpg

nobody

Reaction score

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Warning: This video was likely put together by a comic book nerd. :muttley: I did not create this video. :mad::p

Methinks the video creator borrows a clip or two. He has Captain Marvel at number three and has a number three marker but another marker saying she is number four appears afterwards.

The comment section has numerous references to Superman before DC depowered him, like the 1978 movie character. While that was true of Kal-El's speed then, it is not true of his speed now.

Saitama is a character from an anime called One Punch Man for anyone not familiar with the character. The show is satirical and does not take itself too seriously. It is funny as heck at times and has great artwork. Just an FYI. :)

quickccc

Reaction score
Warning: This video was likely put together by a comic book nerd. :muttley: I did not create this video. :mad::p

Methinks the video creator borrows a clip or two. He has Captain Marvel at number three and has a number three marker but another marker saying she is number four appears afterwards.

The comment section has numerous references to Superman before DC depowered him, like the 1978 movie character. While that was true of Kal-El's speed then, it is not true of his speed now.

Saitama is a character from an anime called One Punch Man for anyone not familiar with the character. The show is satirical and does not take itself too seriously. It is funny as heck at times and has great artwork. Just an FYI. :)

Hmm . where are Silver Surfer and Spectrum ... ala Monica Rambeau ,...not the cable company ;)

ffbedcb27e2ea1beabb395d4d782d80f.jpg

702df51e3c7092e5ec3f50967f999a40.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A video content creator reimagined DC Comics characters in 90's anime style. The ones I liked were about 40%-50% of their choices: Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Nightwing, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Zatanna, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Deathstroke, John Constantine, Raven, Booster Gold, Vixen, Firestorm, Mr. Freeze, Huntress, Black Manta, Sinestro, Clayface and Doomsday.

* BOLD are the ones I really preferred.

quickccc

Reaction score
This will be a post of me simply typing A LOT of stuff to get it off my chest. I have zero expectations anyone else will care about the series I will talk about. This is just me using CowboysZone to vent some. :) I should add that the show's four main protagonists/heroines are all female, so stop here while you still can, lol.

I am an anime fan and somewhat nick-picky of what I enjoy. My overwhelming preference is Asian anime--primarily Japanese content but also South Korean, Chinese, etc. American based material has usually not held my attention. There have been exceptions like Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra but not much else.

For that reason, I did not give stuff from Rooster Teeth Productions of Austin, Texas an opportunity for a few years. I did eventually give their series RWBY a chance and thought I could not stomach more than two or three episodes of its first season. The animation was computer based, literally from Smith Micro Poser software. To be completely blunt, the artwork is BAD at the beginning of the series.

Characters' appearance was not very good, actually clunky AND clanky looking even. Plus, my initial impression was that it would be more cartoon like than anime. The only positives I gave the show were the fight sequences were good despite the artwork and the dialogue was smartly playful. I soon left and did not finish much of the first season.

Scrolling through programming on MAX made me give the show a second chance years later. For some unknown reason, two movies, parts one and two, were made by DC/Warner Bros Discovery, featuring RWBY characters and the Justice League..? The movies' posters displayed the characters as well-defined and evolved from what I remembered. Curiosity got the better of me, so I watched, was impressed, and understood RWBY had been much more than I thought it could become. With that, I went back to the first season and gave it another try.

Seasons one through three artwork creeped in improvement but the beginnings of the plotline were well done. For those old enough to remember, think back to how PS2 video games looked but cleaner. I was not sure where the story would go but the details were flowing and building steadily. The producers kept adding new characters, each with richly distinct personalities. That is something that does not happen as often as it should in superior Asian based anime. The voicework was good, playful but intelligent and solidly presented with zero laziness.

For me, the artwork made a significant leap in season four. Visuals and overall movement were better. It gained another even higher quality tier and smoothness in seasons five and six. Artwork quality was extremely good and seamlessly streamlined for the format of the show for seasons' seven through nine.

Without giving away spoilers, the show is loosely based on popular fairy tales and fables. It is not based on a fantasy Earth but a world called Remnant. Every season is a buildup over the previous one. The show is presented in a way like reading a book. Each chapter supplies more to the plot. One thing I enjoyed most is the main antagonist. Most anime just throw the main villain at its audience in short order. This show's main villain is hinted at for several seasons before making a debut. And it is one of the best anime villains in terms of backstory and cold-bloodedness that I have come across.

Now to what made me write all this in the first place. Season nine was not the end of the story but Warner Bros Discovery dropped Rooster Teeth Productions, officially last month. The official explanation was typical corporate gobbly-gook about non-profitability, etc. I doubt that was reason enough for them to take such drastic action. The show has a wide audience, along with popular merchandising, etc. It was well niched in producing programming content that lasted a decade. Then, all of a sudden, POOF! The studio was not good enough to keep funded.

The end had come though. The season nine finale wrapped up that chapter's story but it showed enough of a teaser of what season ten had in store. That is what royally pisses off fans of the series.

Perhaps Rooster Teeth took the wrong approach. Maybe they should have condensed RWBY's storyline and concluded it more quickly. I have not seen any of their other shows to know if they were formatted in the same way. However, it might be that Warner Bros Discovery wanted MORE new content than the studio was able to produce and keep, while maintaining its quality standards.

Who knows? What I do know is that what happened to RWBY did not make me like Warner Bros Discovery any more than how it failed at its DCEU. It really bites not seeing the end of a really good story.

I posted the series seasons' intros below for anyone bored enough to waste around fifteen minutes of their life. I think they display how the show's visuals improved from its beginning to unfortunate end. Reminder though. The main heroines are FEMALE. :p

@DallasEast ... wow, that's quite a lot on the dinner plate... Thanks for Sharing

i do admit that i am very much quite behind on animation series, which I myself also absolutely adore.

Maybe You and I have different views and tastes with American Animation ... but i do consider Netflix's Castlevania a heckuva tremendous animation series- ! in fact one fo the very best Animation work that i've ever seen.

" Samurai Jack " is an oldie but goodie,..as is it's spinoff " Primal " by it's creator Gennedy Tartakovsky'.

" Spawn " by
Todd McFarlane was very dark but unique.

Netflix's " Blood of Zeus " seems interesting but I but i haven't yet found time to sit and watch it.

Some Netflix anime i've heard a lot about.. ala Arcane, Grappler Baki (newer version) .Devilman Crybaby,... Trrese... etc. but i haven't got around to them

I wasn't sure with the difference among Korean, China, animation, I. had only heard the term " Japanimation "

quickccc

Reaction score
@DallasEast ... wow, that's quite a lot on the dinner plate... Thanks for Sharing

i do admit that i am very much quite behind on animation series, which I myself also absolutely adore.

Maybe You and I have different views and tastes with American Animation ... but i do consider Netflix's Castlevania a heckuva tremendous animation series- ! in fact one fo the very best Animation work that i've ever seen.

" Samurai Jack " is an oldie but goodie,..as is it's spinoff " Primal " by it's creator Gennedy Tartakovsky'.

" Spawn " by
Todd McFarlane was very dark but unique.

Netflix's " Blood of Zeus " seems interesting but I but i haven't yet found time to sit and watch it.

Some Netflix anime i've heard a lot about.. ala Arcane, Grappler Baki (newer version) .Devilman Crybaby,... Trrese... etc. but i haven't got around to them

I wasn't sure with the difference among Korean, China, animation, I. had only heard the term " Japanimation "
814abae8ee2b253ab1dc5d60c3ffe411.jpg

3988310acff078df83bf3bf32d4e0994.jpg

69b431a493ddf091b9d6cf83be2f30e0.jpg

8c67a1ff8b25bc09cf4e972db8d947b8.jpg

216b2eb7158a98da5f4a83375d0acf58.jpg

9212280e8e6e4eda778b5d2bd0b90823.jpg

6d0a893e30246c7a12ea0e33591ec0ef.jpg