Comics and Movies

nobody

Reaction score
Margot Kidder was very unattractive. Amy Adams isn't too bad, but I don't find her particularly attractive. Erica Durance is a goddess, fitting of the role, IMO. Teri Hatcher was decent. Bosworth was pretty hot.

Evangeline Lilly would have been great, but a little too old now, unless they do a movie with an older Lois in mind.

I have to disagree with you here, brother. Teri Hatcher looked very attractive in the part, but I'm not sure what Clark saw in her personality-wise a lot of the time.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have to disagree with you here, brother. Teri Hatcher looked very attractive in the part, but I'm not sure what Clark saw in her personality-wise a lot of the time.
That's exactly what I was thinking. She was smokin' hot, but the personality left a lot to be desired.

quickccc

Reaction score
LoT was gawd awful but it kept... getting... renewed. It's like someone had pictures hidden and was blackmailing the network to keep them on the air.

Could not get into Batwoman. Still do not understand why Ruby Rose cut bait so quickly.

Did watch the first two or three seasons of Supergirl and gave up on it. I am sorry. It is her show. However, it is mind-blowing to me that Superman made it to Earth before her BUT you don't see Superman. At all. Or at least I did not see him.

The Martian Manhunter was a nice touch while I was watching though. And I heard Mon-El joined the show later on but could not bring myself to check him out.

I am glad the series started out on CBS. The material was not strong enough to keep it on a major network though. That's too bad. Melissa Benoist was a real good choice to play Kara but I think there might have been better actresses when her part was cast.

Didn't realize Martian Manhunter was on one of the shows, .. he's one that i always thought DC- studios should have tried to expand and introduce as a possible stand out character
in one of the Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman or Justice League led movies.

Hopefully the new studio direction will consider an expanded role and possible series.- instead of the usual ' same ole,.. same ole " ....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't realize Martian Manhunter was on one of the shows, .. he's one that i always thought DC- studios should have tried to expand and introduce as a possible stand out character
in one of the Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman or Justice League led movies.

Hopefully the new studio direction will consider an expanded role and possible series.- instead of the usual ' same ole,.. same ole " ....
A word of caution if you ever decide to check out Supergirl. The Martian Manhunter was seen mostly as J'onn J'onzz in human form. And his Martian form was not great VFX work.

quickccc

Reaction score
A word of caution if you ever decide to check out Supergirl. The Martian Manhunter was seen mostly as J'onn J'onzz in human form. And his Martian form was not great VFX work.

220px-Martian_Manhunter_Alex_Ross.png

quickccc

Reaction score

Speaking of J'onn Martian Manhunter,.. was this yet another example of Marvel mimicking a previous DC character with the creation of the " Vision " ?
per previous discussion Marvel vs DC with @nobody

Similarity in looks and " intangible " phasing ability. Everytime i've seen Martian Mahunter, i cannot help but think of Vision.
J'onn was supposedly created before the age of the Vision.

But why does it seems that Marvel far infinitely developed and indulged the Vision much more than DC Comics seem to do with Martian Manhunter.. ?

170px-Avengers57.jpg

nobody

Reaction score
Speaking of J'onn Martian Manhunter,.. was this yet another example of Marvel mimicking a previous DC character with the creation of the " Vision " ?
per previous discussion Marvel vs DC with @nobody

Similarity in looks and " intangible " phasing ability. Everytime i've seen Martian Mahunter, i cannot help but think of Vision.
J'onn was supposedly created before the age of the Vision.

But why does it seems that Marvel far infinitely developed and indulged the Vision much more than DC Comics seem to do with Martian Manhunter.. ?

170px-Avengers57.jpg

I'm not sure that similar powers count in this case. The vision is an android created from the body of the original Human Torch by Ultron. He's not a psychic Martian. Both have density manipulation and flight, but I think that's it for similarities I believe?

It's not as blatant as other copies over the years. Does having one or two similar powers with their other powers being different constitute copying the character? If that's the case, then Captain Marvel (Shazam) is a copy of Superman, but Superman turned into a copy of Captain Marvel (Shazam). They were different comic companies and before Captain Marvel, Superman could only leap. He couldn't fly. Enter Captain Marvel, who could fly and not long after suddenly Superman could fly.

The looks are not really all that similar. Here are their first appearance looks, Martian Manhunter in 1955 and Vision in 1968:

1480942-createsvision2.jpg

Muddying the waters is a Vision character created by Marvel's predecessor Timely comics way back in 1940....who was not an android but an alien law enforcement officer:

Marvel_Mystery_13_%28November_1940%29_-page_1.jpg

It seems like Marvel copied more from themselves than DC in this instance.

quickccc

Reaction score

@DallasEast

These are the DC characters that i am really hoping the new Warner Bros. DC studio attempts to develop and expand.

- Etrigan the Demon
- Darkseid (should be DC comics version of Thanos)
- J'onn Martian Manhunter
- Amazon the super android

While these other are 2nd tier desire list that should be included in DC characters needed to be developed and expanded ,...
- Black Adam is already underway.
- Lobo
- Solomon Grundy
- Clay Face
- Croc
- Brainac
- Mister Mxyzptik
- Doctor Spectre
- Morgan Le Fey

I'm iffy with Bizarro and Sinestro (because of the last GL film) ... but i can see them both, if they are really done correct and impressive.

200px-Superman%27s_Rogues.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm not sure that similar powers count in this case. The vision is an android created from the body of the original Human Torch by Ultron. He's not a psychic Martian. Both have density manipulation and flight, but I think that's it for similarities I believe?

It's not as blatant as other copies over the years. Does having one or two similar powers with their other powers being different constitute copying the character? If that's the case, then Captain Marvel (Shazam) is a copy of Superman, but Superman turned into a copy of Captain Marvel (Shazam). They were different comic companies and before Captain Marvel, Superman could only leap. He couldn't fly. Enter Captain Marvel, who could fly and not long after suddenly Superman could fly.

The looks are not really all that similar. Here are their first appearance looks, Martian Manhunter in 1955 and Vision in 1968:

1480942-createsvision2.jpg

Muddying the waters is a Vision character created by Marvel's predecessor Timely comics way back in 1940....who was not an android but an alien law enforcement officer:

Marvel_Mystery_13_%28November_1940%29_-page_1.jpg

It seems like Marvel copied more from themselves than DC in this instance.

- Yes, as mentioned, similarity in terms both being able to become " intangible and phase thru solid objects" ,..as well as flight.
- Similarity in terms of looks and appearances. Even with the this pic of the Vision you've input,.. it reminds me of the Vision.

maybe not exact of course, as J'onn's facial features and head shapes is different, but the colors of green and red, cape,etc it reminds me of the Vision.

and i admit fully, that since i have never, ever been interested in Shazam as i've always thought he was clearly a Superman ripoff.
- the " Captain Marvel " title for Shazam still throws me off oh so much ..
i've always thought Shazam was so goffy and awkward looking, i never even became interest in him.

Per Wiki, i read where there was indeed a copyright lawsuit for Shazam Captain Marvel vs Superman, before both characters eventually
became DC comics (Detective Comics)

Speaking of Captain Marvel,..i'd like to read how Marvel avoided any possible copyright lawsuit from DC Comics for " Captain Mar-vell " ?

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
- Yes, as mentioned, similarity in terms both being able to become " intangible and phase thru solid objects" ,..as well as flight.
- Similarity in terms of looks and appearances. Even with the this pic of the Vision you've input,.. it reminds me of the Vision.

maybe not exact of course, as J'onn's facial features and head shapes is different, but the colors of green and red, cape,etc it reminds me of the Vision.

and i admit fully, that since i have never, ever been interested in Shazam as i've always thought he was clearly a Superman ripoff.
- the " Captain Marvel " title for Shazam still throws me off oh so much ..
i've always thought Shazam was so goffy and awkward looking, i never even became interest in him.

Per Wiki, i read where there was indeed a copyright lawsuit for Shazam Captain Marvel vs Superman, before both characters eventually
became DC comics (Detective Comics)

Speaking of Captain Marvel,..i'd like to read how Marvel avoided any possible copyright lawsuit from DC Comics for " Captain Mar-vell " ?

No idea. But I do see that you're very one-sided in your ripoff discussion and very Pro DC glossing over their ripoffs. ;)

They all do it. You even completely ignored that I also posted the Vision created in 1940 which according to your own argument Martian Manhunter resembles to some degree and he was made 15 years after.

I believe there was a Copyright lawsuit regarding the Marvel/Mar-vell name but I'm not sure how it played out other than Marvel not losing. I guess it's because the names were just different enough and the characters weren't at all the same? I'm not sure.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@DallasEast

These are the DC characters that i am really hoping the new Warner Bros. DC studio attempts to develop and expand.

- Etrigan the Demon
Darkseid was already developed thanks to Zack Snyder. It is very likely you can thank the studio not expanding on the character's movie adaptation. Ditto for J'onn J'onzz.

Etrigan would be a good tie-in with Constantine, which should be a reasonable reboot proposal after a theatrical movie and television series. It is not like the idea cannot be sold to Warner Bros Discovery. The trick is getting solid writing and direction secured for pitching it.

Amazo? Not sure if the studio has the required imagination to pull that off beyond a DC Universe type series like Swamp Thing. That said, the whole Professor Ivo/Indestructible android storyline would be a very good movie adaptation in the alternate universe style of Joker and The Batman. It has a built in Frankenstein aura that, done right, might easily appeal to general audiences.

While these other are 2nd tier desire list that should be included in DC characters needed to be developed and expanded ,...
- Lobo
- Solomon Grundy
- Clay Face
- Croc
- Brainac
- Mister Mxyzptik
- Doctor Spectre
- Morgan Le Fey
Mister Mxyzptlk???

I will likely hunt someone down and shoot them for signing off on bring that character back. He is as lame as Howard the Duck in my opinion.

Love the Spectre idea. The character is perfect for a dark, grimy R-rated crime drama.

Lobo and Brainiac are directly tied to Superman. And the studio does not know what it wants to do with him. Good luck seeing those two get developed and expanded upon. Ironically, their television animation wing has already developed both pretty well. Many they could be brought in to talk to the studio about live action versions? Nah. They aren't that smart.

Solomon Grundy, Clay Face and Killer Croc are Batman Rogues, which should give them an advantage at live action because Warner Bros Discovery LOVES them some Dark Knight. They would likely lean towards supporting the "safest" character to bank on. That is Grundy in my opinion. Hollywood has done the undead very often, sometimes extremely well. I think it would be much harder talking them into backing a shapeshifter made of mud and a walking, talking, homicidal two legged reptile. Of course, King Shark has been done, so why not a crocodile, lol?

Morgan Le Fey is a stretch in my eyes. Her most likely adversary would be a magical opponent. I will wait-and-see what they will do with Doctor Fate in Black Adam in a couple of months first before I will size up her chances at live action.

I'm iffy with Bizarro and Sinestro (because of the last GL film) ... but i can see them both, if they are really done correct and impressive.

Bizarro is on my same hit list with Mister Mxyzptlk. No further comment.

Sinestro had an excellent chance at a development and expanded reboot but the opportunity hinges completely on the Green Lantern Corps movie. And who knows if Warner Bros Discovery will continue backing that idea that was already signed off on.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Etrigan would be a good tie-in with Constantine, which should be a reasonable reboot proposal after a theatrical movie and television series. It is not like the idea cannot be sold to Warner Bros Discovery. The trick is getting solid writing and direction secured for pitching it.
There are already talk of a "Constantine" reboot in the works

Everything We Know About HBO Max's Constantine Show
A new series based on John Constantine's adventures has been in-development under J.J. Abrams's and Bad Robot's production deal with Warner Bros. The deal also includes plans to build up to the Justice League Dark. With John being a member of the team, his show seems very likely to be a key piece of the puzzle in bringing the Justice League Dark plans to fruition.

Following developments after the Warner Bros. merger with Discovery that could help compensate for past Warner Bros. mistakes, Constantine is reportedly still moving ahead despite the blindsiding cancellation of Batgirl, leaving many DC projects' futures in question. Even still, questions remain about what viewers can expect from the series when it finally arrives. Here is everything we know about HBO Max's Constantine show.

https://screenrant.com/constantine-show-news-updates-cast-story/

Maybe even cracks the door open for a "Swamp Thing" return.....(crosses fingers) :cool:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
@DallasEast

- Etrigan the Demon

- Lobo
- Solomon Grundy
- Clay Face
- Croc
- Brainac
- Mister Mxyzptik
- Doctor Spectre
- Morgan Le Fey

A couple of DC characters I'd like to see in a live action series or movies, not the ones that might come first to mind......... Sgt. Rock and Jonah Hex

There is a limited series comic coming out with Sgt Rock vs The Army Of the Dead written by Bruce Campbell (yes that Bruce Campbell) I could see that developed into a streaming or theatrical release movie. I think I would prefer Sgt Rock more old school, like a serialized series following the Adventures of Sgt Rock and Easy Company. That could be fun.

Jonah Hex deserves to make up for that horrible movie attempt. Keep it as a gritty western, no time traveling or fantastical ideas. If they absolutely feel the need to add some kind of supernatural element, keep it more realistic, maybe based in Native American lore. I can see a Skinwalker story if done right. Keep it more realistic and not over the top.

quickccc

Reaction score
Darkseid was already developed thanks to Zack Snyder. It is very likely you can thank the studio not expanding on the character's movie adaptation. Ditto for J'onn J'onzz.

Amazo? Not sure if the studio has the required imagination to pull that off beyond a DC Universe type series like Swamp Thing. That said, the whole Professor Ivo/Indestructible android storyline would be a very good movie adaptation in the alternate universe style of Joker and The Batman. It has a built in Frankenstein aura that, done right, might easily appeal to general audiences.

Mister Mxyzptlk???

I will likely hunt someone down and shoot them for signing off on bring that character back. He is as lame as Howard the Duck in my opinion.

Love the Spectre idea. The character is perfect for a dark, grimy R-rated crime drama.

Lobo and Brainiac are directly tied to Superman. And the studio does not know what it wants to do with him. Good luck seeing those two get developed and expanded upon. Ironically, their television animation wing has already developed both pretty well. Many they could be brought in to talk to the studio about live action versions? Nah. They aren't that smart.

Solomon Grundy, Clay Face and Killer Croc are Batman Rogues, which should give them an advantage at live action because Warner Bros Discovery LOVES them some Dark Knight. They would likely lean towards supporting the "safest" character to bank on. That is Grundy in my opinion. Hollywood has done the undead very often, sometimes extremely well. I think it would be much harder talking them into backing a shapeshifter made of mud and a walking, talking, homicidal two legged reptile. Of course, King Shark has been done, so why not a crocodile, lol?

Morgan Le Fey is a stretch in my eyes. Her most likely adversary would be a magical opponent. I will wait-and-see what they will do with Doctor Fate in Black Adam in a couple of months first before I will size up her chances at live action.

Bizarro is on my same hit list with Mister Mxyzptlk. No further comment.

Sinestro had an excellent chance at a development and expanded reboot but the opportunity hinges completely on the Green Lantern Corps movie. And who knows if Warner Bros Discovery will continue backing that idea that was already signed off on.

- The dark sorceress Morgan Le Fey would tie into Etrigan the Demon, whose origin and background actually begins with the mystical world of Merlin of Hamlin.
From the characters and creature-features you could amass from the mystical world, you could have a lot of CGI special effects and action sequences with that.
But Warner Bros cannot fall into cheap Sci-Fi channel looking make up and CGI effects, much less.

- Etrigan - i thought about his alter ego Jason Blood being made into somewhat similar to a Constantine character, but that's too much interference clash with Etrigan Demon.

- A great many people have not even seen Darkseid, because they did not have the Director’s cut at the movie theaters, and with Justice League movie being slammed
by bad reviews, and considered a dud, who knows if they would ever venture into HBO Max’s director cut version to see Darkseid..

- Amazo the super adaptoid android would have to be implemented off a prominent figure or group such as Superman, Batman or Justice League.
Only those that heavily follow Justice League animation series would really know who/what he is. But as you described wonderfully, with
the immense abilities that he possesses, .. only the imaginative directorial mind would be limited to what they could do with him in a film or series.

- Doctor Spectre would be DC Comics version of Dr. Strange. Mystical geared series that could bring all kinds of imaginative, mystical looking CGI graphic effects.
But I think its better to implement him in his own series, just as Disney-Marvel did with Moon Knight or Ms Marvel.

- Sad that Ryan’s Green Lantern was made into such a dud film when it should have been one that could have helped revolutionized DC movie films to viewing audiences.
But this is yet another example where it was thrown to the wolves as messy, cartoonish and sloppy quality, just for the sake of making and forcing a DC superhero movie.

- Mister Mxyzptlk ? this is one that a studio would have to be “very careful” not to make it a Jar Jar Blink like stupid figure. .
Some may not care for his goofy characteristics anyway, even as a DC comic figure. But his identity welcomes that corky comedy element – as a native villain.
which could be idea for the family viewership. But there’s a danger of over-doing the comedy element.

- BTW, thinking about a Mister Mxyzptlk in a series, (guest appearance than a solo) I also thought about an” Impossible Man’ series for Marvel Disney.
Again another native, corky character that you have to be ‘very careful’ not to over-do the comedy element with them.

- Constantine – I really liked the Keannu Reeves version. Before i saw @Roadtrip link to a new Constantine series, i was surprised it did not spin a sequel.
Maybe the box office numbers did not encourage the studio into one.
Maybe they saw it just like the Spawn movie. One and done. Maybe they didn’t think there was enuff available with Constantine that – he’s another one that I thought
could constantly keep a number of intriguing mystical villains and creature-features.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
@DallasEast

- Etrigan the Demon

- Lobo
- Solomon Grundy
- Clay Face
- Croc
- Brainac
- Mister Mxyzptik
- Doctor Spectre
- Morgan Le Fey

Oh come on! They're ripping off the Arthurian Legends now?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- The dark sorceress Morgan Le Fey would tie into Etrigan the Demon, whose origin and background actually begins with the mystical world of Merlin of Hamlin.
From the characters and creature-features you could amass from the mystical world, you could have a lot of CGI special effects and action sequences with that.
But Warner Bros cannot fall into cheap Sci-Fi channel looking make up and CGI effects, much less.

- Etrigan - i thought about his alter ego Jason Blood being made into somewhat similar to a Constantine character, but that's too much interference clash with Etrigan Demon.

- A great many people have not even seen Darkseid, because they did not have the Director’s cut at the movie theaters, and with Justice League movie being slammed
by bad reviews, and considered a dud, who knows if they would ever venture into HBO Max’s director cut version to see Darkseid..

- Amazo the super adaptoid android would have to be implemented off a prominent figure or group such as Superman, Batman or Justice League.
Only those that heavily follow Justice League animation series would really know who/what he is. But as you described wonderfully, with
the immense abilities that he possesses, .. only the imaginative directorial mind would be limited to what they could do with him in a film or series.

- Doctor Spectre would be DC Comics version of Dr. Strange. Mystical geared series that could bring all kinds of imaginative, mystical looking CGI graphic effects.
But I think its better to implement him in his own series, just as Disney-Marvel did with Moon Knight or Ms Marvel.

- Sad that Ryan’s Green Lantern was made into such a dud film when it should have been one that could have helped revolutionized DC movie films to viewing audiences.
But this is yet another example where it was thrown to the wolves as messy, cartoonish and sloppy quality, just for the sake of making and forcing a DC superhero movie.

- Mister Mxyzptlk ? this is one that a studio would have to be “very careful” not to make it a Jar Jar Blink like stupid figure. .
Some may not care for his goofy characteristics anyway, even as a DC comic figure. But his identity welcomes that corky comedy element – as a native villain.
which could be idea for the family viewership. But there’s a danger of over-doing the comedy element.

- BTW, thinking about a Mister Mxyzptlk in a series, (guest appearance than a solo) I also thought about an” Impossible Man’ series for Marvel Disney.
Again another native, corky character that you have to be ‘very careful’ not to over-do the comedy element with them.

- Constantine – I really liked the Keannu Reeves version. Before i saw @Roadtrip link to a new Constantine series, i was surprised it did not spin a sequel.
Maybe they saw it just like the Spawn movie. One and done. Maybe they didn’t think there was enuff available with Constantine that – he’s another one that I thought
could constantly keep a number of intriguing mystical villains and creature-features.
First, Mister Mxyzptlk. Now Impossible Man has been added? I am tempted to go all Power Cosmic on you. :muttley:

I get many things wrong, so my predictions can certainly be wrong. Here is how I look at Le Fey and Etrigan because I agree about the tie between them:

Constantine is in creative limbo but the character has already been sold and is established. Etrigan is not. I think he is "too exotic" a character to be sold as a introductory main character like Constantine. In my opinion, Etrigan's only route to an introduction is as a supporting character piggybacking onto an established magical character. Additionally, I feel Le Fey is an even more obscure character who has no chance of being introduced without that Etrigan tie.

In short, I cannot foresee any investment like quality CGI, etc., being assigned to Etrigan without a Constantine type character bring him into the fold. Likewise, Le Fey has an even lesser chance of getting the nod without Etrigan.

There is not any data from me to pull from but I believe a good portion of 2017's Justice League core audience made sure to see Zack Snyder's director cut. That is the best anyone could hope for but it is also all that is needed. Moviegoers outside a core audience generally by tickets for stuff they do not know about anyway. It is the core audience, folks who know the underlying stories and characters, that drive any movie's ultimate success because it is their word-of-mouth that tends to inspire the rest of the general audience to take a chance on them.

Look at it this way. The bulk of moviegoers who saw Marvel's The Avengers did not know Thanos in his cameo appearance from the box of popcorn they were eating. No clue. It was the buildup to the film that created the path for general audiences to flock to it, not Thanos. The real problem is not that many people may not still know Darkseid. The problem is that Warner Bros Discovery may not care enough to let them find out about Darkseid.

Superman/Amazo I can see. Besides Brainiac, who you already mentioned, I see Amazo on a villain introduction waiting list behind Brainy, Mongul, Cyborg Superman (who I hope will finally exorcise Bizarro from comic book reality forever), and even a rebooted Doomsday. They are world level threats "only" Superman can counter that a producer could sell the studio. Amazo is a great character but I just do not see him getting priority above "better" super-villains.

Batman/Amazo? No way.

Justice League/Amazo? I... kinda see it but I would think a pretty good backstory must be constructed first explaining why Amazo was created and then unleashed on the JL. That would take some very good writing, which is doable. However, I think an easier route for Amazo is (again) a standalone "Elseworlds" type movie, like Joker, where Professor Ivo and his creation's story can be established first before the stellar confrontation.

You have mentioned The Spectre more than once as "Doctor." Perhaps I am thinking of another character. The Spectre I refer to is the cosmic-like wraith being. I do not see him as a Doctor Strange counterpart. In my opinion, Doctor Strange's DC equivalent is Doctor Fate. I agree with the television series option for the character.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Early audience scores have not been published yet but paid critics' opinions of She-Hulk are in (scores are links):

87% Rotten Tomatoes
67 Metacritic

Gonna wait until I watch the first episode before reading one of their reviews.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

There was a Constantine live action show on NBC, it only lasted one season before getting the axe, which is a shame, it was pretty good, liked it better than the movie. Matt Ryan did a good job as Constantine, I wouldn't mind seeing him back in that role. Now it's just another series that had promise and struck down too soon........ :(