Comics and Movies

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't know how you guys can actually rate so many of these in a particular order. I think at best, I could name my favorite and least favorite (maybe), or assign grades to each show/movie. For the most part, the ones in the middle are fairly equal, and my mood would affect their standings.
I'm the same way. I know the top 2-3 I like best, then the bottom 2-3 but the others in the middle can change around depending on mood and overall fairly equal. More like tiers or grouping.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I always thought Marvel characters were more human an interesting in general than DC ones. They seemed more fleshed out. That's not always the case.. DC did have some interesting and fleshed out ones, but were still less interesting to me for some reason.

Now, this is just the comics (and most of the movies, mind you.) The animated DC has kicked serious butt in that aspect...the ones I've seen. It could be that as a kid I just read the "right' Marvel titles for me and never stumbled onto the "right" DC titles for me.
I was definitely more of a Marvel reader than DC and yeah Marvel seemed to have more of a "human" aspect in their stories and characters, overall. Not as many DC characters appealed to me for one reason or another, but I also didn't get into a lot of popular or some of the more famous characters from either one. I was never into Superman, Green Lantern or Wonder Woman, but I was never into Fantastic Four, Spiderman or Hulk comics either.

quickccc

Reaction score
I always thought Marvel characters were more human an interesting in general than DC ones. They seemed more fleshed out. That's not always the case.. DC did have some interesting and fleshed out ones, but were still less interesting to me for some reason.

Now, this is just the comics (and most of the movies, mind you.) The animated DC has kicked serious butt in that aspect...the ones I've seen. It could be that as a kid I just read the "right' Marvel titles for me and never stumbled onto the "right" DC titles for me.

I wasn't a bog comics reader, but of all the cartoons, live action shows, and movies I've seen, DC characters seem hollower (with the exception of Batman, but even with him, the fact that he's mostly a loner gives him less depth than he could have) than the MCU.

i'm unclear of the terms 'fleshed out' and 'hollow' when describing comic characters. i can only guess that hollow must mean boring or disinteresting ?
That's how i would describe Jeremy Remmer's Hawkeye character, whether Avengers movies or his own series.
Oddly it's a far cry from the Hawkeye in the comics or even FX's Avengers animation series where he's outlandishly arrogant and comical.

With DC comics where does the " charisma " stand out with their characters ?.... Clarke Kent ? Superman ?.... Batman- Bruce Wayne ?
Diana Princess- Wonder Woman? .. ..Hal Jordan/Jon Stewart Green Lantern ? ..... The Flash/Barry Allen ?
..Peter Parker - Spiderman ... J Jonah Jameson ....

Now from the comics to the movies,..and that's when it comes down to actors, studios, directors and writers, and that's extremely crucial because
because a great audience doesn't follow comic life, so they are entrusted to word of mouth and film critics.

That's where an actor Robert Downey Jr. just flat allevated his role as Tony Stark to a incredibly level of intrigue, appeal and entertainment.
Thus the huge demand for his performance is in place.
Ditto per Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

.honorable mentions ? per. Paul Rudd as Ant Man,... Chris Evans as Capt .America ...Chris Hemsworth per Thor .... Tom Hiddleston per Loki ,..
Samuel Jackson per Nick Fury ... Scarlet Johannson per Black Widow ..... Chris Platt per StarLord .... David Michael Bautista as Drax the Destroyer .... Josh Brolin as Thanos .....David Michael Bautista as Drax the Destroyer .... Josh Brolin as Thanos .....did Gal Galbot nail it as Wonder Woman ?

Now here's a flip side of that ... .Did Ben Afflick allevate Batman the Dark Knight ? .. ... what about
did Tom Hardy do any favorites with Eddie Brock in Venom and Carnage ? .... Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern ? ....Issac Oscar as Apocalypse .?

Who could forget Jesse Adam Eisenberg as Lex Luthor ? ....Yikes ! :confused:

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Well this should please @quickccc , but we may get some of the characters he mentioned sometime soon.

DC Reportedly Developing Avengers-Style Superhero Show With JJ Abrams
Variety revealed in a recent report that J.J. Abrams' Justice League Dark series for HBO Max is being developed as an "Avengers-style show" from Bad Robot. Abrams and Bad Robot have long been reported to be developing Justice League Dark as a franchise for HBO Max with spin-offs for Constantine and Madame Xanadu.

According to the article, Constantine and Madame Xanadu remain in active development, with the former having scouted locations with plans to start shooting in early 2023. The promising development updates follow HBO Max's cancellation of Batgirl and many other DC projects under the new Warner Bros. Discovery regime.
https://thedirect.com/article/avengers-dc-jj-abrams

Of course, with the current fluid nature of the whole Warner Bros/Discovery thing going on, anything can change, but it seems I remember that Bad Robot still owe WB a certain number of projects. This series would open the door for all manner of supernatural and otherworldly beings to get introduced since many have direct ties to the "Justice League Dark" comics.
dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

jumax.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just my opinions and not necessarily anyone else's:

did Gal Galbot nail it as Wonder Woman ?
Heck yeah! To be honest, I was apprehensive about her being cast for the role. The only thing I had seen her play was Gisele from The Fast & The Furious franchise. She was in a minor supporting role with not much to say or do when her screen opportunities arose.

However, she had the natural "right" height, voice and look of someone born in an old, remote and isolated Eastern Hemisphere/Grecian type locale. Her outfit change did make me nervous in promotional photos also though.

However, any nervousness disappeared when she first appeared as Diana. She oozed grace and appeal of mysterious foreign royalty. Later, she dropped out of the sky to save Batman's bacon and fought Doomsday like a mad warrior! She was even laughing at the challenge. cha-CHING! I was sold.

Did Ben Afflick allevate Batman the Dark Knight ?
Heck no. Christian Bale elevated Batman. Ben Affleck just showed up in costume. Bale and Robert Pattinson (the latter shocked me at first) exude a foreboding screen presence wearing the cape. Affleck has struck me the same way he did wearing the Daredevil uniform, namely, "I look good in this. Please fear me as I vogue in this scene." His Bruce Wayne is better though.

did Tom Hardy do any favorites with Eddie Brock in Venom and Carnage ?
Hardy is not the problem in Venom franchise. Screenplay and direction are the culprits. His scripts make him TOO much the straight man to Venom's comedic routine.

Hardy keeps getting shortchanged in these types of adaptations. Jumping to DC for a sec, I understand the reasoning behind the heavy Dark Vader sound in The Dark Knight Rises and not repulsed as much as a good faction of the audience but even Vader is clearly audible when speaking. The I-Just-Inhaled-Tons-Of-Smoke-Can-You-Hear-Me-Through-This-Oxygen-Mask approach detracted from his otherwise pretty powerful performance as Bane.

Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern ?
Hal Jordan was never Van Wilder. Forget the voice. The first time I saw Ryan Reynolds fight (perhaps tortured is the better word lol) Triple H in Blade: Trinity, I said, "THAT'S HAL JORDAN!"

Ended up being look like Tarzan/act like Jane. Perfect look in the emerald uniform. PURR-fect. However, he did not act like "serious" Jordan until the final 30 minutes or so of the film.

I also want to blame him for Taika Waititi playing his sidekick but that was not his fault (I do not like that guy in front of or behind the camera).

Issac Oscar as Apocalypse .?
Oscar was S and S with Apocalypse. Stiff and Shakespearean. For awhile, I thought Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg pigeonholed Oscar's performance. That they somehow boxed him into a blah supervillain who is one of the best created characters of all time--in comic books and outside comic books. Then I watched Moon Knight and knew he was equally responsible.

Who could forget Jesse Adam Eisenberg as Lex Luthor ?
I watched Gene Hackman play a 1960's/1970's Super Friends version of Luthor. Watched Ken Spacey play a serious version of Gene Hackman. And I watched Michael Rosenbaum play a genius with true dramatic depth in Smallville and wanted more.

There were better actors than Eisenberg who could have played Luthor. Rosenbaum would have done better. However, I wanted to see more Rosenbaum than Hackman or Spacey and Eisenberg delivered enough for me to give him a weak thumbs up.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marvel: 10 Best Animated TV Series, Ranked According To IMDb
By Bradley Prom | Screen Rant
August 19, 2022

Best-Marvel-Animated-Series.jpg

Recently, at San Diego Comic-Con, Marvel detailed some extraordinary new feats and projects that they’re working on in comics, movies, and tv. Naturally, the bombardment of announcements made about the MCU and the Multiverse Saga took centerstage and dominated fans’ attention.

However, also revealed were first looks at some upcoming animated series. Marvel Zombies is a spin-off of What If…? and will be part of the MCU’s continuity. Spider-Man: Freshman Year was initially thought to be so too, but the news they provided now establishes it as an independent series with a beautifully distinct style. Finally, X-Men ’97 will continue from where X-Men: The Animated Series concluded. All in all, these new shows look to be quite fun and could join the ranks of best-animated series from Marvel, of which this is the current ranking.

https://screenrant.com/marvel-best-animated-tv-shows-imdb/
Read more

10. Spider-Man (1967-1970)
09. Guardians of the Galaxy (2015-2019)
08. What If...? (2021-Present)
07. X-Men: Evolution (2000-2003)
06. Hit-Monkey
05. Wolverine And The X-Men (2008-2009)
04. The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008-2009)
03. The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (2010-2012)
02. Spider-Man: The Animated Series (1994-1998)
01. X-Men: The Animated Series (1992-1997)

Not gonna lie. Not sure whether to laugh sarcastically about Wolverine And The X-Men sitting at number five or be upset. :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Batman V Superman actor Jesse Eisenberg says he didn’t like DC fans criticizing him for his portrayal of Lex Luthor
By Eric Patrick | The NuHerald
August 19, 2022

1449146072-screen-shot-2015-12-03-at-123338.jpg

Injustice to Jesse Eisenberg?

Superman V Batman: Dawn of Justice was an entirely new approach attempted by Warner Bros. and DC to create a vast cinematic universe of themselves, much like their MCU rival. Directed by Zack Snyder, the film had very big ambitions since for the first time Batman (Ben Affleck) and Superman (Henry Cavill) were shown together in real action. But things didn’t go as planned and drew a lot of criticism.

Superman V Batman: Dawn of Justice turned out to be a big disappointment

Eisenberg said the hate he received was very personal. He explained that he really put a lot of thought and work into his character so he didn’t like it when people hated him.

I FELT VERY PERSONAL ABOUT IT,” HE SAID. “THE WRITER, CHRIS TERRIO, IS A VERY SERIOUS WRITER, AND HE’S A VERY EMOTIONAL PERSON. HE THOUGHT A LOT ABOUT MY CHARACTER, AND I THOUGHT A LOT ABOUT MY CHARACTER TOO. I TALKED A LOT WITH MY COACH OF THE CHARACTER’S ACTING, HIS BACKSTORY WITH HIS DAD, AND HIS EMOTIONAL LIFE — AND THEN PEOPLE HATE ME.
Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Star Trek: Picard's Final Season Almost Featured A Well-Known Voyager Character
Mick Joest | CinemaBlend
August 18, 2022

JQak5rBmKSxoziSqnyJTyU-970-80.jpg.webp

Star Trek: Picard’s final season is due out in 2023, and the pressure is on for co-showrunner Terry Matalas and the crew. Season 3 will bring back much of the cast of the beloved series The Next Generation, and tell a story that could put a cap on many of those characters' journeys in the universe. There’s also some obligation to try and offer fans surprises and unexpected events, and it seemed like Matalas nearly did so when he tried to incorporate a well-known Voyager character into the story.

Terry Matalas spent some time talking to All Access Star Trek about his work on Star Trek: Picard, and working on the final season. When speaking about incorporating ideas that may or may not make it into the final story, Matalas mentioned he spent three weeks trying to fit Voyager’s Naomi Wildman into a story, but ultimately had to let it go:

This is not a spoiler because it doesn’t happen–but Naomi Wildman. There was a moment where there’s a specific thing that’s happening, what if they had to turn to a grown-up Naomi Wildman and it was a very, very intense three weeks in the room because it was a great story. And had you had 13 episodes, you were going to do this one, and it was going to be great if you could produce it because it was rather expensive. And so that’s hard.

Read more

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Batman V Superman actor Jesse Eisenberg says he didn’t like DC fans criticizing him for his portrayal of Lex Luthor
August 19, 2022

Superman V Batman: Dawn of Justice was an entirely new approach attempted by Warner Bros. and DC to create a vast cinematic universe of themselves, much like their MCU rival. Directed by Zack Snyder, the film had very big ambitions since for the first time Batman (Ben Affleck) and Superman (Henry Cavill) were shown together in real action. But things didn’t go as planned and drew a lot of criticism.

Eisenberg said the hate he received was very personal. He explained that he really put a lot of thought and work into his character so he didn’t like it when people hated him.

Read more
Boo hoo

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Star Trek: Picard's Final Season Almost Featured A Well-Known Voyager Character
Mick Joest | CinemaBlend
August 18, 2022

JQak5rBmKSxoziSqnyJTyU-970-80.jpg.webp

Star Trek: Picard’s final season is due out in 2023, and the pressure is on for co-showrunner Terry Matalas and the crew. Season 3 will bring back much of the cast of the beloved series The Next Generation, and tell a story that could put a cap on many of those characters' journeys in the universe. There’s also some obligation to try and offer fans surprises and unexpected events, and it seemed like Matalas nearly did so when he tried to incorporate a well-known Voyager character into the story.

Terry Matalas spent some time talking to All Access Star Trek about his work on Star Trek: Picard, and working on the final season. When speaking about incorporating ideas that may or may not make it into the final story, Matalas mentioned he spent three weeks trying to fit Voyager’s Naomi Wildman into a story, but ultimately had to let it go:

Read more
I saw something on YouTube saying she was one of the most disliked Trek characters ever. I liked her character. I wouldn't mind seeing her again.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
August 19, 2022

Read more

I like him in movies like Zombieland and Social Network, but as Lex Luthor? No. It's hard to have a genius kid look like a threat to two modern American Titans. Actually, three, because Wonder Woman was in the same movie.

Gene Hackman or Kevin Spacey would have been better, but who knows who the perfect choice would have been. Just another reason why DC is backwards vs Marvel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like him in movies like Zombieland and Social Network, but as Lex Luthor? No. It's hard to have a genius kid look like a threat to two modern American Titans. Actually, three, because Wonder Woman was in the same movie.

Gene Hackman or Kevin Spacey would have been better, but who knows who the perfect choice would have been. Just another reason why DC is azz-backwards vs Marvel.
As @DallasEast said, Michael Rosenbaum was an excellent Lex Luthor in Smallville. I could see Hugh Laurie in the role.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Gene Hackman or Kevin Spacey would have been better, but who knows who the perfect choice would have been. Just another reason why DC is backwards vs Marvel.
Superman: The Movie and Superman II were both better films than Batman v. Superman but they were also different types of movies. If Hackman were 45 to 50 or so years younger, he would need to play Luthor like a scientific genius version of Little Bill Daggett. The way he actually played Luthor in the earlier movies would have been a total mismatch for BvS.

The thing about Spacey is that he is not really a strong method actor. Pick a role. There may be a slight quirk between different roles but he is still basically playing himself. Verbal in The Usual Suspects. Lester Burnham in American Beauty. John Doe in Se7en. Heck. Mel Profit on CBS' Wiseguy so many moons ago.

Great actor but he does not have a wide range. Even his Luthor in Superman Returns is a skin deep veneer of Hackman's earlier rendition, with most of Spacey seeping through it.

There are other choices than Eisenberg but anyone acting like Hackman or Spacey would probably have not been cast. I do not believe Luthor needed a top rung actor also. Billy Zane has been bouncing around inside my head since typing this. And he can rock the bald look too.
As @DallasEast said, Michael Rosenbaum was an excellent Lex Luthor in Smallville. I could see Hugh Laurie in the role.
Laurie could pull off Luthor's eccentric persona blindfolded. Good pick.

nobody

Reaction score
Just my opinions and not necessarily anyone else's:

There were better actors than Eisenberg who could have played Luthor. Rosenbaum would have done better. However, I wanted to see more Rosenbaum than Hackman or Spacey and Eisenberg delivered enough for me to give him a weak thumbs up.

After seeing Rosenbaum's Luthor, I think the bar has been set super high... Eisenberg looked like a garbage dollar store version of the character in comparison. It's almost like he did no actual research ofhow he was portrayed in both the comics and on-screen and only went with a light study of the fictional biographical history of him and his father issues and then decided on how Luthor would act from that. From what he said in the article that's exactly what happened. It was terrible.

Any future adaptation should cast Rosenbaum. I know he's willing and still young enough for the part.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Reboot Is Now 'On Pause' Until Its Eventual Resurrection
By Cole Delbyck | HuffPost
August 21, 2022

63027aa32500003300b14036.jpeg

A new generation will proceed slayer-less for the time being, as the long-gestating reboot of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” just got, well, staked.

The planned reboot of the iconic WB series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar was first announced in 2018, promising a “contemporary” spin on the supernatural drama “building on the mythology of the original.”

The project has now been put “on pause” indefinitely, according to executive producer Gail Berman. The news was revealed during a recent episode of The Hollywood Reporter’s “TV’s Top 5” podcast, which relayed that the terminology essentially means the series is stuck in purgatory.

No additional details about the status of the reboot were given, but, as any fan of the series is well aware, Buffy has fought her way back from far more dire circumstances.

Read more

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Reboot Is Now 'On Pause' Until Its Eventual Resurrection
By Cole Delbyck | HuffPost
August 21, 2022

63027aa32500003300b14036.jpeg

A new generation will proceed slayer-less for the time being, as the long-gestating reboot of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” just got, well, staked.

The planned reboot of the iconic WB series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar was first announced in 2018, promising a “contemporary” spin on the supernatural drama “building on the mythology of the original.”

The project has now been put “on pause” indefinitely, according to executive producer Gail Berman. The news was revealed during a recent episode of The Hollywood Reporter’s “TV’s Top 5” podcast, which relayed that the terminology essentially means the series is stuck in purgatory.

No additional details about the status of the reboot were given, but, as any fan of the series is well aware, Buffy has fought her way back from far more dire circumstances.

Read more
Not sure if I'm disappointed or not. On one hand, more Buffy...on the other hand, Buffy??

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure if I'm disappointed or not. On one hand, more Buffy...on the other hand, Buffy??
Don't be jinxing it! :muttley: I know they will likely be bringing back Buffy, Faith and the Scooby Gang but I am hoping Kendra The Vampire Slayr will return and stay longer in a reboot.

Although I doubt they will be able to top Bianca Lawson playing the role. :)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't be jinxing it! :muttley: I know they will likely be bringing back Buffy, Faith and the Scooby Gang but I am hoping Kendra The Vampire Slayr will return and stay longer in a reboot.

Although I doubt they will be able to top Bianca Lawson playing the role. :)
Can't see the image you posted.

I think this is going to be post-Scooby Gang.