Comics and Movies

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
5 Actors We'd Love To See Play Wonder Man In The MCU Series
By Bj Colangelo | SlashFilm
August 30, 2022

intro-1661911478.webp

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is continuing to expand in unexpected ways post-"Avengers: Endgame," but few could have predicted one of the next heroes to get a Disney+ adaptation would be Simon Williams aka Wonder Man. The series was announced earlier this summer with "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" and the upcoming "Avengers: The Kang Dynasty" director Destin Daniel Cretton attached to executive produce with Andrew Guest ("Community," "Hawkeye," and "30 Rock") serving as the head writer. The series is still in the early stages of production, but it was recently announced that Ben Kingsley would be reprising his role as Trevor Slattery, thereby connecting "Wonder Man" to the story of "Shang-Chi."

As it stands, only Kingsley's casting on the show has been confirmed so far, which leaves the titular character a mystery. Wonder Man is a lesser-known Marvel character created in 1964 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, first introduced as a villain but then later becoming a founding member of the West Coast Avengers. He's yet another son of a billionaire industrialist, as well as a celebrity actor and stuntman. He's a cocky himbo with more money than imaginable, and unearned confidence ripe for comedic greatness.

MCU series have been unafraid to tackle comedy as of late, and with Guest as the head writer, it's safe to assume that "Wonder Man" will be no different. With that in mind, here are 5 actors we'd love to see play the character in the upcoming series.

Read more

Cheyenne Jackson
Isaiah Mustafa
Ethan Page
Zac Efron
Nathan Fillion
I'm sure all 8 Wonder Man fans are pretty excited by the news.......... :muttley:

quickccc

Reaction score
The debut of the second Captain Marvel in Amazing Spider-Man
By James | D1SoftballNews.com
August 30, 2022

amazing-spider-man-annual-16-banner.jpg

<snip>

In Amazing Annual #16, the hosts introduce us to police officer Monica Rambeau, who, due to an extraordinary accident, gains powers that give her the ability to transform into light, thus giving birth to the next Captain Marvel.

Monica Rambeau not only differed in power from her predecessor, but also wore an elegant suit in other colors, black and white.

<snip>

Read more

wElcydI.jpg

cWj9HGl.jpg

tAxUFSh.jpg

It would make it much sensible, less confusing to call her " Spectrum" than continue with this "Capt. Marvel" title name again.

But apparently it's just something with this ' Capt. Marvel ' name bid that these comic companies and movie studios just have to have .... :confused:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would make it much sensible, less confusing to call her " Spectrum" than continue with this "Capt. Marvel" title name again.

But apparently it's just something with this ' Capt. Marvel ' name bid that these comic companies and movie studios just have to have .... :confused:
I am not concerned about any superhero name controversy.

1mg10oV.png

The folks with their name in the little red rectangle identify her as Spectrum. And that is the only thing that matters. :thumbup:

That said, the article was the character's comic book origin. And Marvel and DC's long time legal feud pretty much made certain Monica Rambeau's debut would be as the second Captain Marvel following Mar-Vell's death.

Her abilities remaining the same is key. Television audiences got a tiny glimpse they will be unique to her in WandaVision. That distinction makes her as equal a 'Marvel' among fictional characters as Carol Danvers and Kamala Khan. Next year's movie with cement them as the special trio they are.

My main question is which uniform will she start out wearing? Her original suit is a classic. Her redos with the center star are excellent also. However, they mimic Danvers' Kree outfit closely. I would prefer she wear the trenchcoat style shown above. After all. First impressions are essential.

MFR1TSN.gif

:p

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am not concerned about any superhero name controversy.

1mg10oV.png

The folks with their name in the little red rectangle identify her as Spectrum. And that is the only thing that matters. :thumbup:

That said, the article was the character's comic book origin. And Marvel and DC's long time legal feud pretty much made certain Monica Rambeau's debut would be as the second Captain Marvel following Mar-Vell's death.

Her abilities remaining the same is key. Television audiences got a tiny glimpse they will be unique to her in WandaVision. That distinction makes her as equal a 'Marvel' among fictional characters as Carol Danvers and Kamala Khan. Next year's movie with cement them as the special trio they are.

My main question is which uniform will she start out wearing? Her original suit is a classic. Her redos with the center star are excellent also. However, they mimic Danvers' Kree outfit closely. I would prefer she wear the trenchcoat style shown above. After all. First impressions are essential.

MFR1TSN.gif

:p

So, you want her to look like a Jedi? :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, you want her to look like a Jedi? :muttley:
Hardy har har. Funny guy you are. :rolleyes: Jedi (or Sith) wear a tunic with pants, usually covered by a robe. Rambeau's outfit is a basially a headless zentai covered partially with a extra long jacket or trenchcoat. Not the same thing. :)

quickccc

Reaction score
Spoiler Alert - is these 30 minute episodes gonna always be like this with this She Hulk series ... ?

i thought i had accidentally step on my remote and fast forwarded the show to an end, so i watched it three times.

These don't feel like " episodes" .. they feel like short clip scenes.

and i just did not get what the 2nd episode was supposed to be ... just a bunch of jabbering and personal journal stuff ..

250px-She-Hulk_Attorney_at_Law_logo.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Spoiler Alert - is these 30 minute episodes gonna always be like this with this She Hulk series ... ?

i thought i had accidentally step on my remote and fast forwarded the show to an end, so i watched it three times.

and i just did not get what the 2nd episode was supposed to be ... just a bunch of jabbering and personal journal stuff ..

The episodes are very short. Episode three is a bit better, IMO. Some of the humor actually worked. I can see this getting more enjoyable as it goes along.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spectrum as a name is about 50 times cooler than Captain Marvel anyway.
For Rambeau? I totally agree. The character got mixed up in the DC/Marvel legal feud and she got tagged with the name after Mar-Vell's death. Heck. Rambeau was a police lieutenant, so even just the rank of Captain did not really fit her.

I would nitpick if the convo was about the coolest name for Mar-Vell though. He was a Captain in the Kree military already. Plus, his name and his abilities were a perfect match too.

It's kinda funny. "Captain" was actually a demotion for Danvers in the comics. She had risen to Major and later to Colonel.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I will lean towards the side that episode length is technically not a spoiler, lol.

While satire based, the series is an in-depth plunge into the life of Jennifer Walters, who has the misfortune of becoming a Hulk. Not sure if 45 minute-ish long episodes would appeal more to viewers, who may prefer seeing more smash than this spotlight on a female superhero evolution.

I am enjoying the format very much. The pre-series trailers were not deceptive in what the episodes would eventually be like.

Episode three did seem like a personal decision-maker for the character to me. It would not surprise me if the next episode has more smash than what has been seen thus far. And now, a not so serious spoiler:

Us9YjLt.gif

:laugh: @ Jennifer and Megan!

quickccc

Reaction score
For Rambeau? I totally agree. The character got mixed up in the DC/Marvel legal feud and she got tagged with the name after Mar-Vell's death. Heck. Rambeau was a police lieutenant, so even just the rank of Captain did not really fit her.

I would nitpick if the convo was about the coolest name for Mar-Vell though. He was a Captain in the Kree military already. Plus, his name and his abilities were a perfect match too.

It's kinda funny. "Captain" was actually a demotion for Danvers in the comics. She had risen to Major and later to Colonel.

Was that the probable reason the studios decided to name Danvers as "Captain "Marvel .... instead of " Ms Marvel," to which is exactly Danvers' title name is in the Marvel Comics...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was that the probable reason the studios decided to name Danvers as "Captain "Marvel .... instead of " Ms Marvel," to which is exactly Danvers' title name is in the Marvel Comics...
No.

The legal issue over the name Captain Marvel is very convoluted. In the end, DC won the naming rights to its character Captain Marvel. Basically, no one else could copy the guy with the lightning bolt on his chest.

Marvel owned the Captain Marvel trademark. Keep that in mind.

Around 2012, DC, who had been publishing a comic with the name SHAZAM! on the cover but kept calling the character Captain Marvel in the pages within, finally woke up and smelled the coffee. It was stupid to tell its readers the hero's name was Shazam AND Captain Marvel. So they finally made the decision to go Shazam full-time.

At the same time (yeah it is suspicious :laugh: ), Marvel converted its character, Carol Danvers, a.k.a. Ms. Marvel, to Captain Marvel. Seven years pass and BAM! Her movie hit theaters in 2019.

In short, Marvel Studios did not rename or remake Carol Danvers for the movie. The character had already been established years before in the comics.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dang it! Totally forgot an important mentionable concerning Carol Danvers' alter egos and her MCU movie:

Kamala Khan :)

The Inhuman's first appearance was in Captain Marvel #14 in 2013. Kamala's solo comic book hit store shelves in 2014.

The Ms. Marvel title had already been adopted by Khan years before her idol's movie came out. The studio could not name the title character of the movie by her original superhero name without Desi Arnaz from I Love Lucy fame wagging his finger in their faces, yelling, "Marvel! Youse got some explainin' to do!"

:muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The DCEU Utterly Failed Christopher Nolan’s Man of Steel Plans
By Marcelo De Souza Silverio Leite | MSN/Screen Rant
September 2, 2022

AA11oFhI.img

<snip>

Considering that the plan was for Man of Steel to be the start of a Superman franchise, Man of Steel 2 would have been a much smaller story than Batman v Superman by default. That was confirmed by Man of Steel and Batman v Superman director Zack Snyder himself, who before Batman v Superman was released revealed that he wanted Metallo to be the Man of Steel sequel's villain. Concept art for Metallo had even been made, but those plans were scrapped once Warner Bros. asked for Batman to be in the film. Curiously, Zack Snyder did want to add Bruce Wayne in Man of Steel 2 – but only as a post-credits scene at the end of the film to nod at Batman existing in that universe. Previously, a Wayne Enterprises satellite could be spotted in Man of Steel.

<snip>

Read more

This is more an opinion piece than confirmed information but I believe it is a correct assumption. I know opinions vary on Snyder's work but I think this may have been another case where studio meddling de-valued their own finished product.

I am conflicted though. If true, Wonder Woman's introduction may have been delayed for years to come or not have ever happened at all. That would have been a crying shame in my opinion.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The DC Fandome Will Close in 2022
By Dc News | DC News
September 3, 2022

a-73-768x402.jpg

No DC FanDome convention will be held in 2022, according to Warner Bros. Discovery. With the recent restructure of the DC Extended Universe, many projects, including Batgirl (directed by Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah), Supergirl, and Wonder Twins, had to be scrapped. In 2020, Warner Bros. created the DC FanDome to keep fans excited throughout the epidemic by screening previews for upcoming films like Matt Reeves’ The Batman and James Gunn’s Peacemaker. Both editions were deemed resounding successes. The event was a great substitute for the in-person events that had to be postponed because of the <censored>, and it gave the cast and crew of key DCEU movies an opportunity to share some of the behind-the-scenes information they had been keeping under wraps.

An official remark states that this is the main reason why the DC FanDome was demolished in the first place; fans no longer need a centralised location to express their enthusiasm for their favourite media. This is the official statement: Because “Warner Bros. Discovery is pleased to be able to connect with our fans live at multiple comic-cons across the world,” DC FanDome will not be scheduled for 2022. DC’s attendance at 2022’s San Diego Comic-Con was, to put it mildly, underwhelming, even though it would make sense to emphasise large events like the Comic-Cons over spending money on an exclusive showcase. New trailers for Black Adam and Shazam! became available.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Florence Pugh's Black Widow Will Reportedly Lead the MCU's Thunderbolts
By Noah Dominguez | CBR
September 2, 2022

Yelena-Thunderbolts-(1).jpg

Marvel Studios evidently has big plans for Florence Pugh's Yelena Belova/Black Widow, with the fan-favorite Russian spy reportedly set to lead the Marvel Cinematic Universe's Thunderbolts.

During a recent appearance on Matthew Belloni's The Town podcast, Justin Kroll of Deadline discussed Marvel Studios' Thunderbolts, describing the upcoming film as a Pugh-led spinoff. "[Florence Pugh] has got the Marvel superhero that's already got a spin-off," Kroll said. "Upcoming for her, actually, on that character is this Thunderbolts film, which is basically Marvel's Suicide Squad. Hopefully, it has better results. But the concept is it'd be her leading the team of like Wyatt Russell's [John Walker], Daniel Bruhl's [Zemo], those anti-heroes that aren't exactly good but aren't exactly bad. So there's that. And people seem to like the Yelena character."

Created by Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley, the original incarnation of the Thunderbolts first appeared in 1996's Incredible Hulk #449. As Kroll mentioned, the team is essentially the Marvel equivalent of DC's Suicide Squad, consisting primarily of anti-heroes and reformed supervillains who work for the government. This past June, it was reported that Marvel Studios was developing a Thunderbolts film, with Jake Schreier attached to direct from a script by Eric Pearson. At San Diego Comic-Con in June, Marvel boss Kevin Feige confirmed that Thunderbolts would premiere in theaters on July 26, 2024 to close out Phase Five of the MCU.

Read more

quickccc

Reaction score
Dang it! Totally forgot an important mentionable concerning Carol Danvers' alter egos and her MCU movie:

Kamala Khan :)

The Inhuman's first appearance was in Captain Marvel #14 in 2013. Kamala's solo comic book hit store shelves in 2014.

The Ms. Marvel title had already been adopted by Khan years before her idol's movie came out. The studio could not name the title character of the movie by her original superhero name without Desi Arnaz from I Love Lucy fame wagging his finger in their faces, yelling, "Marvel! Youse got some explainin' to do!"

:muttley:

Wow.... now i'm really Danvers/Marvel confused ...... :muttley: