CFZ Comments regarding the Buffalo Beat Down!

CWR

Reaction score
How does this happen?
We basically dominated the Eagles last week, and the Eagles played Buffalo a couple weeks before and beat them! Physically you would think we would match up well vs Buffalo. The Eagles have arguably the best O line in football and our D line and backers played them well, but the Bills dominated the LOS on O and ran all over us. Why? Watching the replay, some of it had to do with our guys not playing their responsibility. As Belicheat once said, “do your job”. Our guys were not doing their individual job.

The QB sneak was telling: Allen gained at least 2 yards each time he tried it, while Dak dropped back to pass on 4th and 1 foot and got sacked! What is so dam complicated about the Tush Push. The key? Get off the ball quickly!!, then the O lineman get their head inches from the ground and drive their legs with their butts up. Don’t allow penetration. There is a slight slow down then the line starts moving bodies. We have 2 big powerful quards also.The push from behind helps too. Dak is just as big as Hurts and Allen. He should be really good at it.

Our O line blocked well for the run early in the game, but they seemed confused by the Bills stunts and Blitz’s when pass blocking. They seemed overmatched at times. They played Philly’s D line much better. Why? The Bills constantly had 6-7 guys at the LOS. The confused our guys more so than physically dominating them.

Dak was confused most of the night. They mixed coverages from snap to snap. Dak was getting our guys drilled constantly. CD was getting punished!

They had 3 long drives that continued because of Personnel Fouls! Lawrence and Smith made idiotic plays!!

Why do we EVER try to block a punt. The risk reward is NOT worth it. It is WAY harder to block a punt, than it is to run into the punter. Also, we have an excellent return man who is forced to call fair catches ALL the time because we can’t block the gunners with 1 guy! We need 2 guys on each gunner. Give Turpin a little room and he will make something happen.

It was inexcusable McCarthy did not throw the red flag on the fumble. Can’t a defensive player call timeout?

The defensive player who decked Dak the second time was laughing about it going back to the sideline.

Not specifically talking about this game but, NFL officiating is terrible. EVERYTHING should be reviewable!

Minor: If we struggle so bad when another team gets the lead, how come we didn’t take the ball first. Also, we knew the rain was coming we should have took the ball first.

This was a typical late season reality check. I am worried about Miami. They have a very smart coaching staff that can exploit the weaknesses we just demonstrated vs Buffalo.

We will need to run the ball to keep or D as fresh as possible.
I agree with most of this 100%.

However, the tush push works so well because they have a dominant center and a qb who was squatting 600lbs in college. Dak is probably very strong but 600lbs is ridiculous for a dude his size.

EDIT: Dak was going for 450 in college. He probably had more on a PR, so definitely nothing to sneeze at.

I always get annoyed at how Philly is always allowed to get lower on the dline.

pete026

Reaction score
Quinn needed to sell out to stop the run.
The players are to blame to. They did not play their responsibilities.

We couldn’t even stop the Bills from running out the clock when everyone in the stadium knew they were running! Weak!!!
A comment from Josh Allen, postgame:

Even Bills quarterback Josh Allen admitted it wasn't our plan to pick apart the Cowboys defense through the run before the game started. Once they realized Dan Quinn would still match their 21 (two RBs) and 12 (two TEs) personnel groupings with nickel (5 DBs) and dime (6 DBs) defenses, it was an easy call for offensive coordinator Joe Brady, though.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
True but Quinn has been putting a solid unit on the field for 2 seasons now, especially with the hot garbage he inherited.

I'm sure his plan was to limit big plays and force long drives believing our O was going to score at least 20+
Missing the big guy in the middle hurt.
Not to mention missing a great CB and a kid who'd be kicking bunns at LB by now.
solid unit, which is suspect to physical offenses and tendency to give up big rushing games. twice this year we gave up 200+ yards. hard to over come. last year it was the same. gave up 200 yards twice, got lucky in winning one against a lesser team. another game gave up 190+ yards (almost 200) and that was a loss. we have been average run defensive team for a while. 22nd last year. 19th this year. better rushing teams will take advantage of us. we have to learn to stop the run, else,

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Team hasn't lost back to back lately so that's something to hope continues.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
A comment from Josh Allen, postgame:

Even Bills quarterback Josh Allen admitted it wasn't our plan to pick apart the Cowboys defense through the run before the game started. Once they realized Dan Quinn would still match their 21 (two RBs) and 12 (two TEs) personnel groupings with nickel (5 DBs) and dime (6 DBs) defenses, it was an easy call for offensive coordinator Joe Brady, though.
Quinn can be had at times.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Buffalo was never losing that game. We walked into a trap and we weren't ready for it.
Facts# we were on a 5 game winning streak and like 8 of the last 9. Red hot. We ran into a DESPERATE and TALENTED team at one of the toughest venues in the league. We're not a good inclement weather/rain team. We had way too many self inflected wounds to make it competitive. Sometimes it's not your day. Sometimes it snowballs.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys are an enigma. After they lose they are called frauds but I don't think that is the case. Yes, the Cowboys seem to only beat bad teams, but they don't just beat them, they blow them out at home. But when they go on the road, they are a very different team. At home they average 39.8 points per game. On the road they average 21.7. That's an 18 point difference. even taking away defensive score there is still a 14 point difference. At home they give up 15.4 points and on the road they give up 22.2. Less than 7 points difference.

Keep in mind their away games includes the 40-0 beating of the Giants which seems so long ago.

I haven't looked at the yardage and other stats but just from the points alone I can see that on the road the offense falls off much more than the defense. In fact, I would guess the lack of scoring by the offense on the road actually hurts the defense and may be why they give up more points on the road. Maybe not, but I suspect that this difference in home and away defense is not that unusual in the NFL.

So the question is why does the offense struggle on the road so much? Against the Cardinals they were missing 3 offensive linemen, including 2 of their best. That could explain it. But what about the Chargers, 49ers, Eagles, and Bills games. Where was the offense in those games. Even if you accept that the 49ers play great defense, they score 30 points per game and give up 16, they beat both of those numbers against Dallas.

You have to expect the home offense has an advantage due to crowd noise and home field refs. But 14 points worth against the Cowboys?

The offense is underperforming on the road. So is the defense, just not as much. Anyone want to make a guess?

Brax

Reaction score
Dak "looked bad" because our receivers struggled to get open all game long, plus our Oline was horrible in pass protection all game long. Dak was under pressure all game long. There were few pass plays where Dak was not under pressure. Substitute Amy other QB of liking with Dak during the Bills game, they would have "looked bad" and struggled as well for the very same reasons I just stated.
Broken record didn’t take long for blame everyone else for Daks bad game.

nobody

Reaction score
Dak "looked bad" because our receivers struggled to get open all game long, plus our Oline was horrible in pass protection all game long. Dak was under pressure all game long. There were few pass plays where Dak was not under pressure. Substitute Amy other QB of liking with Dak during the Bills game, they would have "looked bad" and struggled as well for the very same reasons I just stated.
Dak's problem is that if you rattle him early, he tends to stay rattled and makes mistakes for the rest of the game. A lot of QB's are like this, but it's something elite QB's bounce back from in the same game. He never does. The O-line and receivers did him little favors, but he definitely got rattled and couldn't get out of that mindset.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
They're BAAAACK !!!! I knew you wouldn't let me down. What would I do without my resident geniuses . Pappy's doggs where ya been ? Do me a favor give me one of your Dak one liners before Sunday.

I mean it's a good chance we'll win and we won't see you until the next defeat. Any way , good to see you guys !!!!!!!

GMO415

Reaction score
How does this happen?
We basically dominated the Eagles last week, and the Eagles played Buffalo a couple weeks before and beat them! Physically you would think we would match up well vs Buffalo. The Eagles have arguably the best O line in football and our D line and backers played them well, but the Bills dominated the LOS on O and ran all over us. Why? Watching the replay, some of it had to do with our guys not playing their responsibility. As Belicheat once said, “do your job”. Our guys were not doing their individual job.

The QB sneak was telling: Allen gained at least 2 yards each time he tried it, while Dak dropped back to pass on 4th and 1 foot and got sacked! What is so dam complicated about the Tush Push. The key? Get off the ball quickly!!, then the O lineman get their head inches from the ground and drive their legs with their butts up. Don’t allow penetration. There is a slight slow down then the line starts moving bodies. We have 2 big powerful quards also.The push from behind helps too. Dak is just as big as Hurts and Allen. He should be really good at it.

Our O line blocked well for the run early in the game, but they seemed confused by the Bills stunts and Blitz’s when pass blocking. They seemed overmatched at times. They played Philly’s D line much better. Why? The Bills constantly had 6-7 guys at the LOS. The confused our guys more so than physically dominating them.

Dak was confused most of the night. They mixed coverages from snap to snap. Dak was getting our guys drilled constantly. CD was getting punished!

They had 3 long drives that continued because of Personnel Fouls! Lawrence and Smith made idiotic plays!!

Why do we EVER try to block a punt. The risk reward is NOT worth it. It is WAY harder to block a punt, than it is to run into the punter. Also, we have an excellent return man who is forced to call fair catches ALL the time because we can’t block the gunners with 1 guy! We need 2 guys on each gunner. Give Turpin a little room and he will make something happen.

It was inexcusable McCarthy did not throw the red flag on the fumble. Can’t a defensive player call timeout?

The defensive player who decked Dak the second time was laughing about it going back to the sideline.

Not specifically talking about this game but, NFL officiating is terrible. EVERYTHING should be reviewable!

Minor: If we struggle so bad when another team gets the lead, how come we didn’t take the ball first. Also, we knew the rain was coming we should have took the ball first.

This was a typical late season reality check. I am worried about Miami. They have a very smart coaching staff that can exploit the weaknesses we just demonstrated vs Buffalo.

We will need to run the ball to keep or D as fresh as possible.
Its Wednesday. We're done with Buf
close-door-the-office.gif

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak's problem is that if you rattle him early, he tends to stay rattled and makes mistakes for the rest of the game. A lot of QB's are like this, but it's something elite QB's bounce back from in the same game. He never does. The O-line and receivers did him little favors, but he definitely got rattled and couldn't get out of that mindset.
BS. Dak wasn't rattled at all. He's one of the few who was out there fighting. What game were you watching?

nobody

Reaction score
BS. Dak wasn't rattled at all. He's one of the few who was out there fighting. What game were you watching?
Watch and see, brother. Your blinders to his faults will come off soon enough. He has been playing so much better this season barring a few key games though.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Going to a tough opponent's stadium expecting a win without putting forth the effort needed to do so is far too often a problem for the Cowboys. That has long been what happens on a too frequent basis with the Cowboys team. It appears their overblown egos overcome their ability to compete with satisfactory results. Perhaps more dedicated efforts would be a welcomed addition to a team that falls short of it vs. the NFL's better teams. It's also quite likely that better management might help their cause significantly, as well. Too many capable vet free agents are being turned away from poor compensation offered in Stephen's contractual dealings. Other teams usually sign them with no problems.

Last edited:

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Come on now, Dak had some really bad throws and the 1 INT. He's not entirely free of any blame.

I will agree with the 'under pressure' part, though. There were many times it looked like the o'line just stood up and let the defense run right past them. They were god awful. Overall, though, the entire team sucked butt, including Dak.

Lol, the Horsemen, Arn Anderson the “Enforcer”.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Facts# we were on a 5 game winning streak and like 8 of the last 9. Red hot. We ran into a DESPERATE and TALENTED team at one of the toughest venues in the league. We're not a good inclement weather/rain team. We had way too many self inflected wounds to make it competitive. Sometimes it's not your day. Sometimes it snowballs.
exactly

RonWashington

Reaction score
Even teams that eventually go on to win the SB, they can have games like that during the regular season. The situations just happens to present itself. Everything seems to go wrong, the home team and crowd are pumped up. It snowballs.

Not everybody is Jimmy Johnson. But even those Cowboys had their hiccups during the regular season.

The beatings the 49ers and Bills laid out are beyond hiccups . Even in Arizona it was not competitive .

Flamma

Reaction score
The beatings the 49ers and Bills laid out are beyond hiccups . Even in Arizona it was not competitive .
I agree. All I'm saying is that it has happened before to super bowl winning teams, including us.

I see the problems the current Cowboys have. Stopping the run, and seemingly unable to make any comebacks. They obviously have to address that. Just like teams in the past have. Back in 2006 the Colts had a run stopping issue. Midway through the season they gave up 375 yards rushing to the Jaguars. They had to correct that or they never would have won the SB. Will these Cowboys? I don't know.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This game reminded me of the time Dallas played Carolina and the pass rush was sacking Romo right and left. Dez was told he needs give back some of that money. The following week Eli Manning goes into Carolina and throws nothing but 3 steps drop timing routes and boom the Giants win. Why do we never see Dak pick teams apart with quick timing routes. The ball is rarely in the air before the WR makes his break. We see Brady do that all the time but yeah he is the goat. This offense that Dallas runs had WRs running 20 yards down field on 4th and 1. Dumb play calling and no discipline on defense. And this always shows up against better teams unless that team is the Eagles.