Comparing DeAndre Hopkins and OBJ Stats

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The team has to take some chances. Hopkins IMO is the way to go. If it means parting with a 2nd round pick then you do it.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Hopkins will cost this team mega bucks and a high draft pick. OBJ will eventually settle for about half of what Hopkins is scheduled to make next season.

I like Hopkins as a player more but I don’t think he’s twice as good as OBJ or even close tbh.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopkins will cost this team mega bucks and a high draft pick. OBJ will eventually settle for about half of what Hopkins is scheduled to make next season.

I like Hopkins as a player more but I don’t think he’s twice as good as OBJ or even close tbh.
Yeah thats not happening.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Hopkins also isn't a complete head case diva like Beckham. You're not going to see him with rainbow hair and wanting to beat up an old man at an airport.
Unless it's Jerry, once Hopkins realized he signed a poison pill contract.

Motorola

Reaction score
We’ve all heard the talk the last few months about acquiring OBJ. Recently, talk about acquiring DeAndre Hopkins has also heated up. Both are very accomplished WRs. So I thought it would be interesting to compare the two statistically for strengths and weaknesses.
COMPARISON
OBJ.

AgeReceptionsYardsTDsYds per Rec.Yds per game

DEANDRE HOPKINS
  • Hopkins is about 5 months older than OBJ. Both will be 31 during next season.
  • Hopkins has missed 17 games in his career, 9 of them last year.
  • Beckham has missed 33 games in his career and had two major knee injuries.
  • Beckham is a Free Agent
  • Hopkins is under contract for two more years with the cards.
Clearly, Hopkins is the more durable of the two and more accomplished in terms of stats. The big issue with Hopkins is contract and our ability to acquire him. Beckham is a FA and in that sense easier to obtain, although I don’t think he’s a great option for us.

Thoughts?
Hopkins played in 9 games during the 2022 seasson.
He missed the first 6 games due to the PED suspension, and missed the last 2 games because of a knee flareup.

Both players are looking for that last contract.

I supposed it comes down to:
A) How many years do the Cowboys think each can effectively play \ want to sign either one for ( two - four seasons, at ages 31 thru 34);

B) Whether the Cardinals drop their trade request from a 2nd to a 4th, plus what contract changes Hopkins is willing to do ...perhaps extend his last two years to three - with no money added (go from $19,450,000 and $14,915,000 to 3 years @ $11,455,000, with an option to add a fourth year at the same salary)

C) As for OBJ...offer a similar deal, with no incentives so as not to have him complain about not getting enough passes thrown his way to reach $$$ goals.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Odell Beckham Jr.? Please. Click here.

DeAndre Hopkins. Excellent route runner. Excellent hands. Will routinely dig passes out of the ground, thrown high, behind, catches in crowds. Not a burner. Very good football speed after the catch.

Only con in my opinion? He will get in his quarterback's ear but not necessarily selfishly.

Pick compensation? I would not want him obtained via a first-rounder. First rounders should be preferably allotted to impactful young players who will produce extremely well from day one for years to come. 2nd round or lower? Yeah. In a heartbeat. Hopkins is that good and worth the sacrifice.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think bringing Beckham onto this team would be a big mistake. This is a media circus waiting to happen and we've seen the results of that before.

Besides that, having both WR's with dreads is kinda cool.
Check this out ........

https://www.nj.com/giants/2023/03/o...barkley-tell-joe-schoen-to-call-my-agent.html

Odell Beckham Jr. to Giants’ Saquon Barkley: Tell Joe Schoen to call my agent​

• Updated: Mar. 17, 2023, 9:53 a.m.|
  • Published: Mar. 17, 2023, 9:52 a.m.

blueblood70

Reaction score
In what world is deandre Hopkins a backup to Michael Gallup ?
that's my point and? Gallup will better than last year, cds our #1...

. we do not need to make a trade for an 18mil WR requiring a #2 draft pick when we got rid of one that made 22mil for 5th so the fact is we don't need a 1A that bad to do that , you simply use that #2 in the draft go get complementary WR..Our mistake was not letting go of AC, it was counting on Gallup to recover quicker, so maybe not keeping Ced or adding a #2 to get by last year smoother that was the misstep, so reaplacing cooper is still not the goal.. we did that with CEEDEE arrival proving he can be 1 without a lot of converge being drawn away. Career year proves that,

read slower , comprehend better. OBJ makes sense at a structured team friendly deal like 10mil with escalators for play time and reaching certain production for it to climb to higher rate.

If not,

ill take Jarvis, chark, or similar..i mean KC did it last year with JUJU and bunch of cast offs we are already better with Lamb and Gallup with an addition of tier 2 wr not a starter,

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Whyjerry

Reaction score
We’ve all heard the talk the last few months about acquiring OBJ. Recently, talk about acquiring DeAndre Hopkins has also heated up. Both are very accomplished WRs. So I thought it would be interesting to compare the two statistically for strengths and weaknesses.
COMPARISON
OBJ.

DEANDRE HOPKINS
Clearly, Hopkins is the more durable of the two and more accomplished in terms of stats. The big issue with Hopkins is contract and our ability to acquire him. Beckham is a FA and in that sense easier to obtain, although I don’t think he’s a great option for us.

Thoughts?
Hopkins is also sane. OBJ is a culture killer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
COMPARISON
OBJ.

DEANDRE HOPKINS

Thoughts?
Give me Hopkins! Here’s the draft pick.

fry-shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif

starfan1

Reaction score
Don’t matter neither will end up here. We’ll be lucky to get Robbie Anderson and WR in draft

Cowboyny

Reaction score
COMPARISON
OBJ.

DEANDRE HOPKINS

Thoughts?
Throw out the stats on who is better or not, it comes down to the cost, the cost of not only their salaries, but it Hopkins case, what kind of draft capital will it take to land him, this is why OBJ is the preferred choice. No cost to sign him and have the control of how they want his contract.