Comparing DeAndre Hopkins and OBJ Stats

fivetwos

Reaction score
Cooper only fetched a 5th because the front office announced he’d be released of not traded
That strategy annoyed me to no end, but I’m not convinced that’s why. It certainly didn’t help, but…..

Were teams waiting for him to be released to get him for nothing? By trading a pick you guarantee that he plays for you. If anyone thought he was worth more than a 5th and wanted him and his contract, they would have offered it.

If Jerry handled that the way Arizona is handling this, I think the compensation would have been about the same.

I feel like this is a similar situation…..with the difference being our GM decided to tell the world and Arizonas is doing what is supposed to on the matter…shutting up.

Hopkins should be worth about a 4th, high 5th.

MAZEREZAM

Reaction score
Hopkins is the better player but will be more expensive and cost a 2nd round pick. He also doesnt get much separation. Not good w this QB

These are stats from the year all of you said Dez is washed and cant separate

Bring me Odell. If Dak is the leader yall saw he is, he wont be a distraction

Interesting. But he’s considered someone who can make the tough catches.

MAZEREZAM

Reaction score
Cowboys Fans: We need Speed and good Route Runners for this offense!

Also Cowboys Fans: Lets trade a 2nd round pick for a high 4.5s guy that doesnt get separation over signing a 4.43 guy that is known to take slant routes to the house….
Was the 4.43 before the first or second complete ACL tear?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Interesting. But he’s considered someone who can make the tough catches.
Thats fine, but this QB wont elect to make that throw more times than not.

He tried that a little more this year, and led the league in INTs because of it

fivetwos

Reaction score
100%. One of a million reasons why these guys need to stop talking. If the Cowboys had pretended Cooper was in their plans all along, they would have gotten more than a 5th rounder for Coop.
Gotcha….but are we talking publicly or privately?

How are you supposed to call other GMs gauging interest in a player and simultaneously try to pretend that he is in your plans?

Agree that they need to shut up and their mouths are a BIG problem, but I don’t know that they get much more for Cooper if they didn’t say a word publicly.

If Jerry came out and said he was releasing Micah Parsons if they didn’t get any offers, there would still be several significant offers on the table.

My only point here….Cooper and his contract were worth about the same as a two year older Hopkins and his contract, even if reworked it ain’t gonna be cheap.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve all heard the talk the last few months about acquiring OBJ. Recently, talk about acquiring DeAndre Hopkins has also heated up. Both are very accomplished WRs. So I thought it would be interesting to compare the two statistically for strengths and weaknesses.
COMPARISON
OBJ.

AgeReceptionsYardsTDsYds per Rec.Yds per game

DEANDRE HOPKINS
  • Hopkins is about 5 months older than OBJ. Both will be 31 during next season.
  • Hopkins has missed 17 games in his career, 9 of them last year.
  • Beckham has missed 33 games in his career and had two major knee injuries.
  • Beckham is a Free Agent
  • Hopkins is under contract for two more years with the cards.
Clearly, Hopkins is the more durable of the two and more accomplished in terms of stats. The big issue with Hopkins is contract and our ability to acquire him. Beckham is a FA and in that sense easier to obtain, although I don’t think he’s a great option for us.

Thoughts?
Hopkins entered the league a year earlier than OBJ.

Past 2 years:
Hopkins 20 total games played.
OBJ 18 total games played.

Career Yards per Snap:
Hopkins 1.19
OBJ 1.30

Flamma

Reaction score
We’ve all heard the talk the last few months about acquiring OBJ. Recently, talk about acquiring DeAndre Hopkins has also heated up. Both are very accomplished WRs. So I thought it would be interesting to compare the two statistically for strengths and weaknesses.
COMPARISON
OBJ.

DEANDRE HOPKINS
Clearly, Hopkins is the more durable of the two and more accomplished in terms of stats. The big issue with Hopkins is contract and our ability to acquire him. Beckham is a FA and in that sense easier to obtain, although I don’t think he’s a great option for us.

Thoughts?
You have to consider who the players are right now. To me it's not even close. But Hopkins would cost a lot more to obtain. I really don't see 'zona trading him to us. They'll probably want our 26th pick.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
COMPARISON
OBJ.

DEANDRE HOPKINS

Thoughts?
This is a great post!!
Thank you Bob.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I do think these 2 are the primary options for Dallas at WR2.
But I also think Stephen Jones (don't tell anyone) is handling this WR2 stuff well this off-season.

There are 4-5 solid WR2 options: DHop, OBJ, Cooks, Jeudy, R1/R2 WR, Theilen(sp?)
And more will likely become available after the draft.

Dallas needs a WR2 but doesn't need to overpay for one.
8-9M per year and R3 seem about MAX I'd go for one of these last leg vets.
Jeudy will cost a lot more to sign so I'm offering R3/R4 trade comp. --If he walks I get a R4 comp pick IMO.
OBJ wants 12-15M is my guess and while that is over my slot in cash he costs nothing and his market hasn't met his demand so he bears watching.
Can you get him on a 5-6M GTD with incentives deal?
If so I am all over that.

Dallas has to come out of this off-season with more than Jalen Tolbert and James Washington but they do not need bail out any of these teams or guys by overpaying massively.
Denver is begging people to take Jeudy much like Dallas did with Amari.
And the closer we get to the draft the less value these players have.
Another 20 WRs are going to enter the league with anticipated playing time 2023.

Dallas goal should vbe to get one of the top 7-8 options without paying over market value.

That may mean holding their water 'til draft night.
What does that R2 get you on draft night?
Prolly a lot more than it does today.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The team is already good. We don’t need him to make us good- we need him and the addition of Gilmore to push us over the hump and him specifically at a position of need.

You coming back after the draft after the front office takes action isn’t some victory lap- most of these people are telling you (including myself) that we won’t trade for hop but that we should. The truth is the cowboys likely don’t but that doesn’t make them right. On the o line you can still improve other areas if you get Hopkins- to say you can’t is just being disingenuous.
either way, its a waste of debate if most think its not happening but i said its never been the plan nor would it be mine. Push who over the top exactly? I said that already since when has cooper or dhop made that type of impact? so giving up a 2 and 18mil in hopes that pushes us over the top..not in my opinion.. would be nice to have but,

we saw that post early on in the year with the top WR duos in the league and only ONE made the playoffs. I believe that duo was Phillys( or cinci )and guess what they lost the SB, we saw firsthand here we had Gallup, ced, cooper and lamb for what 3 straight seasons and then one with just a limited Gallup and Lamb as the new #1 and what was the difference in the playoffs , same exit..

I just said look elsewhere to spend that capital, Go g t obj on structured team friendly deal OR how about DJ Chark and draft a WR with that draft pick ..

IMHO its the OL been the issue in the playoffs that has not carried a effective run game. Playing one dimensional ball worrying about another WR hasnt worked.

18 rams game- lost in the trenches mostly defense but a common theme NO run game hampered the offense made it tough to pass when you have a D easily taken away the run game without help.
21-OL 11 penalties DL 3 set us back once again where was the run game?
22-sure blame dak blame coopers trade, i say look at the OL once again being pushed back at the snap, no holes, no run game..

In bigger games agint the better DLS wthey take oir rungame away easily dont need 9 ithe box pay max coverge and just conrol the game. that what iove seen in those 3 losses. we need a physcal OL and a iondemtty of we will run and estoblish the run and then use that for PA passes and make t=it wasier to mocve theoug the air.

I saw KC do that first half down by 10 comeback was set up by the run game, OL and d taking that away from phlly making philly throw a lot.. guess what KC won the game.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Odell Beckham Jr.? Please. Click here.

DeAndre Hopkins. Excellent route runner. Excellent hands. Will routinely dig passes out of the ground, thrown high, behind, catches in crowds. Not a burner. Very good football speed after the catch.

Only con in my opinion? He will get in his quarterback's ear but not necessarily selfishly.

Pick compensation? I would not want him obtained via a first-rounder. First rounders should be preferably allotted to impactful young players who will produce extremely well from day one for years to come. 2nd round or lower? Yeah. In a heartbeat. Hopkins is that good and worth the sacrifice.
Yeah, he did get in Kyler Murray's ear on Hard Knocks this last season, but honestly, I don't blame him. I'm not impressed with Murray, and, he seems like a very unlikeable player. While I understand the risk here of me opening up a can of worms with people (Murray vs Dak), I think Dak would be a much better QB to get along with. I'm all in for Dhop. We all know he is a good player and he seemed like a genuine dood off the field on Hard Knocks.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
D-Hop all day over OBJ, and I’ll give up a 2nd to do it. Whoever the Cowboys bring in (we know it won’t be anyone of substance, so this is moot) is a short-term rental to win a championship, and I feel more comfortable making that happen with D-Hop than Beckham or trusting that a draft pick will catch-up to the NFL game in the small window of opportunity the team has right now.

I don’t trust Beckham - the player or the individual. Too much tape in his later years showing on-the-field gator arm business decisions and the propensity to want to make the highlight one-handed stab when a two-handed effort may have actually produced a catch.

OBJ (my personal take…you all have yours) gives me the same feels as Conor McGregor. Mystic Mac was born when he called his shot against Jose Aldo and became a champion. Since that time in the UFC he’s been mostly newsworthy sizzle without substance, going 3-4 since that fight. Beckham became a football legend with his one-handed grab against the Cowboys and has carried that street cred. since posterizing our $50 million CB.

I know, I know, the two shouldn’t be compared, blah…blah…blah, and in terms of results, I’ll concede OBJ’s career should be viewed far more favorably than Conor’s but these two give me the S-A-M-E vibe. A big punch and a big catch essentially creating larger than life characters that have gone the way of diva be it by punching an old man in a bar for not drinking your ****** irish whiskey, or by not fastening your seatbelt causing and entire plane full of passengers to be deplaned. Acts of entitlement from characters whose personalities presently outpace their performance.

Last edited by a moderator: