Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by ksg811, Feb 27, 2018.

1. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

8,227 Messages
    10,960 Likes Received
    Don't bother, I should him that as well and I am wrong apparently. Whats he going to do when they actually do quote this and he has even less of a leg to stand on?

2. phildadon86

8,227 Messages
    10,960 Likes Received
    You cant quote an NFL owner without there being some validity. Jesus man give it a rest. You wouldn't be the first person to be wrong on this forum. Some here said Jaylon would never play football again.

CowboyStar88 and Robbieac like this.
  3. Americas Team1960

Americas Team1960 Member

20 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Read. Fact is your wrong but you'll never admit it.

Fact is, both Bryant and Johnson caught the ball, and Mara has finally been forced to admit it. Speaking from the NFL Competition Committee meetings, the Giants' co-owner told ESPN's Kevin Seifert the infamous "no catch" on both players will now become a reception according to an amendment to the rules that were agreed upon by the NFL's Competition Committee.

The NFL competition committee appears to have unanimous agreement that controversial catch rulings involving Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson should have been ruled complete, according to Giants owner John Mara. So the committee is working on changing the rule to relax the "going to the ground" requirement.

4. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

21,655 Messages
    13,865 Likes Received
    I'd have to go back and look, but from my recollection the official who made the call was the one who had the greatest view of the ball. What he likely saw was that Dez secured the ball while in the air, took at least two steps and switched the ball to his other hand to reach for the goal line. At that point, going to the ground was inconsequential because he "made a football move." Because the replay booth could not determine without a doubt ("indisputable evidence") that he did not make a football move, it should not have been overturned.

This was the reason that the league removed "making a football move" from the catch rule the next offseason and switched to "becoming a runner with the ball," which was just another way of saying "made a football move."

Here was the rule change, which essentially was the NFL admitting its mistake without admitting it:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    CowboyStar88 and Boyzmamacita like this.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Troller of Trolls and apparent Dak slobberer Zone Supporter

38,986 Messages
    11,269 Likes Received
    Some of these anti-Dez guys will never admit it........they are invested in Dez "dropping" that catch.

6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

72,727 Messages
    26,748 Likes Received
    You never asked for quote. You asked where in the article it said the NFL admitted it got it wrong.

From what I posted, I would say that is good enough if the Competition Committee is nearly unanimous agreement that it should have been a catch is good enough for me.
    Might not be for you.

Mr_C likes this.
  7. MarcusRock

MarcusRock Well-Known Member

3,118 Messages
    3,141 Likes Received
    If Mara was quoted, then let's see the quote. I see summaries ans slant to rile up emotional fans. It's working.

8. Aviano90

Aviano90 Go Seahawks!!!

8,041 Messages
    12,037 Likes Received
    Quote from Mara:

"I think where we are unanimous," Mara told ESPN on Tuesday, "[are] plays like the Dez Bryant play in Green Bay, going to the ground, the Calvin Johnson play from a couple of years ago. I think all of us agree that those should be completions. So let's write the language to make them completions."

"The Jesse James play, I think should be a completion," Mara said, "but I'm not sure we're unanimous on that. But plays where guys seem to make the catch and then make a football move with it, I think most of us agree those should be completions. Now it's just a question of coming up with the right language."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-cowboys-dez-bryant-playoff-game-ruled-catch

Doesn't sound to me he is saying the call was wrong.

9. BrAinPaiNt

72,727 Messages
    26,748 Likes Received
    http://kwese.espn.com/nfl/story/_/i...s-cowboys-dez-bryant-playoff-game-ruled-catch

Will this end it for you or no?

"I think where we are unanimous," Mara told ESPN on Tuesday, "[are] plays like the Dez Bryant play in Green Bay, going to the ground, the Calvin Johnson play from a couple of years ago. I think all of us agree that those should be completions. So let's write the language to make them completions."

Mr_C likes this.
  10. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

5,828 Messages
    4,083 Likes Received
    It was a catch on the field and a catch to the naked eye. Good of them to admit a wrong. Wonder if they mentioned the Jesse James catch as well. (Admittedly haven't read the whole thread).

gp_cowpolk likes this.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

72,727 Messages
    26,748 Likes Received

He is saying the Dez and Megatron ones should be catches.
    He is sasying the Jesse James one is not.

Two different things

gp_cowpolk likes this.
  12. phildadon86

8,227 Messages
    10,960 Likes Received
    SHOULD BE COMPLETIONS. I hope this ends it

13. MarcusRock

3,118 Messages
    3,141 Likes Received
    Same question to you as the other guy. If you "appeared" to kill someone by witness account and there's no evidence or an admission from you, then it's good enough that you should be convicted and sentenced?

14. BrAinPaiNt

72,727 Messages
    26,748 Likes Received

http://kwese.espn.com/nfl/story/_/i...s-cowboys-dez-bryant-playoff-game-ruled-catch

Will this end it for you or no?

Americas Team1960 likes this.
  15. Aviano90

Aviano90 Go Seahawks!!!

8,041 Messages
    12,037 Likes Received
    I know what he is saying. He saying they *should be* catches so they need to make the rules to where they will be catches. I fail to see where he is saying the call in 2014 was wrong.

16. MarcusRock

3,118 Messages
    3,141 Likes Received
    We discussed this in the other thread and the rule was not changed the following year. Your statement in bold actually agrees with this.

17. aria

aria Well-Known Member

10,402 Messages
    10,178 Likes Received
    I’m just curious when they’ll admit Hitchins commited PI on Pettigrew? Did Morelli know about the conspiracy against the Cowboys which is why he picked up the flag after throwing it? To actually help the Cowboys?

I also still wonder why the GB game depended on one catch? Why could we not beat a gimpy, one legged Aaron Rodgers who was limping around playing in one the most basic offenses I’ve ever seen him run due to his immobility? That was the most frustrating part to me, we couldn’t beat a severely hobbled QB...that’s pathetic, even if it AR or Brady.

18. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

23,034 Messages
    13,508 Likes Received
    We all already knew he caught it.

RGV_C_Los and gp_cowpolk like this.
  19. zrinkill

zrinkill Troller of Trolls and apparent Dak slobberer Zone Supporter

38,986 Messages
    11,269 Likes Received
    Pettigrew had Hichins face mask

20. MarcusRock

3,118 Messages
    3,141 Likes Received
    Of course they're not saying it was the wrong call, which is what I said waaaaaay back on Page 2 but emotion is rolling now, lol:

"The competition committee is currently reviewing the rule. If they are indeed leaning towards revising the rule to take away the going to the ground requirements, then those controversial catches would be catches under any revised rule that would take away the going to the ground requirement. The reporter here is obviously playing on the uninformed outrage from fans who think all those plays should have been catches but were not under the rules at the time."