Completely a rumor, but...

Reaction score
Roy Williams #11 is overrated as hell. I would'nt do that deal at all. He can keep his Randy Moss "I'll play when i wanna play" attitude in Detroit.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Angus;2156549 said:
Get draft picks instead and cash them in for that Texas Tech receiver next year.

:star:

If you did this, it would be very unlikely that he would be a WR who could match the production of a Williams or a Boldin right out of the gate. It is more likely that it would take a couple of seasons in the NFL to become the kind of WR that would match the production of a TO and a Williams. That would actually mean something like 3 years down the road. In three years, a lot could happen and not all of it might be positive. If we traded for a WR now, that would provide an additional three years of opportunity, IMO, to win championships. To me, it makes more sense to aquire a Vet as opposed to drafting a young WR at this point in the teams development. JMO.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2156562 said:
That would actually mean something like 3 years down the road. In three years, a lot could happen and not all of it might be positive.

By this logic, we haven't given our young guys, Austin and Hurd, enough of an opportunity. Maybe we have two dynamic young receivers on our team right now that are about to explode onto the scene.

Wouldn't that be nice? And maybe all of this is overrated -- we have the X factor that makes average receivers look much better, a guy named Romo.

Hell, Brady's been playing this game for a loong time and it seems to have worked out well for him. And Romo reminds me A LOT of Brady in the fact that he's dead accurate. We've got our dominant #1, we've got a better TE than the Patriots, we've got the sure-handed (most of the time) Crayton, and one serious power running game. We broke all kinds of passing records last year, Chad Johnson will be getting out of Cinci after this year, as will Boldin out of Arizona most likely (that Fitz contract makes that almost a sure thing), there is going to be plenty o' good veteran receivers next year...

...and as I've been saying, guys I like a whole lot better than Roy.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2156488 said:
I wouldn't give Ellis up for Boldin either.

He had 12.5 sacks in 12 games and has probably the best contract in the league for a pass rusher of that quality.

Ellis isn't exactly a sack machine. Plus, when you have D-Ware on the other side, teams will always put max protection where he is. Ellis benefited from having a player of Ware's caliber on the other side of the line.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2156572 said:
By this logic, we haven't given our young guys, Austin and Hurd, enough of an opportunity. Maybe we have two dynamic young receivers on our team right now that are about to explode onto the scene.

Wouldn't that be nice? And maybe all of this is overrated -- we have the X factor that makes average receivers look much better, a guy named Romo.

Hell, Brady's been playing this game for a loong time and it seems to have worked out well for him. And Romo reminds me A LOT of Brady in the fact that he's dead accurate. We've got our dominant #1, we've got a better TE than the Patriots, we've got the sure-handed (most of the time) Crayton, and one serious power running game. We broke all kinds of passing records last year, Chad Johnson will be getting out of Cinci after this year, as will Boldin out of Arizona most likely (that Fitz contract makes that almost a sure thing), there is going to be plenty o' good veteran receivers next year...

...and as I've been saying, guys I like a whole lot better than Roy.

Of course, the chance you take is that the young guys don't pan out. If that happens, then you find yourself in much the same situation that has been a thorn in our side for many a year. You over pay for WR talent. If we could be assured that Romo would turn out to be another Tom Brady and if we could be assured that we would enjoy the same amount of team success that the Pats did then I'd be OK with that. But remember, New England did go out and get Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Gaffney and Cauldwell in in order to improve there WR position. They also drafted Chad Johnson, Bethel Johnson, Deion Branch (all 2nd rd picks), Dan Graham, Ben Watson (both 1st rd picks) and Dave Thomas (3rd Rd pick) to help there pass receiving game. Lastly, every one of there championships were won on the strength of a kicker. I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win but I am saying that in every instance, it was that close. To me, if you have the opportunity to improve your team to a level that would make it almost impossible to defend, you have to take that opportunity if it is a reasonable aquisition.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2156624 said:
If we could be assured that Romo would turn out to be another Tom Brady and if we could be assured that we would enjoy the same amount of team success that the Pats did then I'd be OK with that. But remember, New England did go out and get Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Gaffney and Cauldwell in in order to improve there WR position. They also drafted Chad Johnson, Bethel Johnson, Deion Branch (all 2nd rd picks), Dan Graham, Ben Watson (both 1st rd picks) and Dave Thomas (3rd Rd pick) to help there pass receiving game.

Moss = Owens They are the two bonafide game changers playing WR today.

Welker became what he is because of Brady and the Patriots, not the other way around, believe that.

Crayton, Austin, Hurd > Gaffney and especially Cauldwell.

Stallworth and Deion Branch are gone, they obviously did not feel particularly connected to them. And with good reason. Stallworth has already pulled a hammy (again) and Branch has disappeared into the great Northwest.

And Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson are nothing. And as I mentioned before...

Witten > Watson.

I think maybe we're overreacting to a problem that doesn't exist.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2156269 said:
People have no conception of value. I don't think that I would do Ellis for RW straight up.

You are right. People don't have any perception of value. Especially you.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2156651 said:
Moss = Owens They are the two bonafide game changers playing WR today.

Welker became what he is because of Brady and the Patriots, not the other way around, believe that.

Crayton, Austin, Hurd > Gaffney and especially Cauldwell.

Stallworth and Deion Branch are gone, they obviously did not feel particularly connected to them. And with good reason. Stallworth has already pulled a hammy (again) and Branch has disappeared into the great Northwest.

And Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson are nothing. And as I mentioned before...

Witten > Watson.

I think maybe we're overreacting to a problem that doesn't exist.

Well, aside from the fact that you've pretty much missed the point I was trying to make, I appriciate your response. The point is, the Patriots may not have had much success in trying to aquire WRs but that does not change the fact that they continually tried to improve that position. IE, they recognized that they had a short coming there. Had they not worried about it, they never would have gone out and signed any of those players. You can compare there roster to our roster and conclude that we are as good as they are/were at any given point in time but the reality is that the real comparison comes when you stop to consider the chances of us being able to duplicate there success in exactly the same way. The chances of us being able to do that are not highly unlikely but rather, impossible. It is a study in the Essence of Chaos, if you will. To say that because they were able to do it is not reasoning to support us not trying to improve our WR situation is asking for trouble. I know you don't believe that it is a issue but if you think about what our offense would look like if TO were injured, this to me is reason enough to go out and get a good WR opposit Owens. JMO

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2156470 said:
Brah I wasnt referrrig to you. I know you can back up what you say. I also know pep doesn't.
What the deuce are you talking about? BRAH?!?

I don't go around backing up a position when it doesn't need backing up. This is one such instance. Greg Ellis for Roy Williams (Det-WR) straight up? There is no backing the Cowboys NOT to do that... especially considering the depth we have at LB and the lack thereof at WR.

Backing up my position on this would be a waste of my time.... Brah.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2156539 said:
I would point to any of the numerous ranking lists of NFL receivers, and the fact that Williams was one of the 'Big Three' receivers being mentioned in potential trade talks. Williams was as highly-regarded as any of them by NFL teams.

Again show me a list that says that. And Im not talking about some random FF garbage either.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2156689 said:
Well, aside from the fact that you've pretty much missed the point I was trying to make, I appriciate your response.

Oh no, I think I see things clearly! Who cares if they've tried? They won 3 SBs with exactly DICK at the WR position. They did so because they have a top-notch QB who is extremely accurate.

We gots one of those! As a result, we can focus on other areas of need, particularly since we have a guy like Owens. Yes, we'll eventually need to replace Owens, but not yet!

As another poster astutely pointed out, in the 90's we had Irvin and Novacek and Harper, who was not nearly as good without the Cowboys. And we had a strong running game, a dominant offensive line and a top-notch defense.

In this day and age, you need to count your blessings to have one of the top two receivers in the game, not worried because we don't have a top-notch receiver opposite him. Teams should be so lucky to have what we have.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If the Cowboys were considering trading Ellis & Henry to Detroit for Williams then they should have given up their 2009 2nd & 5th round picks for Jason Taylor.

I agree w/getting rid of Ellis now, while his trade value is at his highest and before having to rework his salary yet again. However, Dallas D success hinges on its LB corps. The more pass rushers the better. Opposing teams were still T-ing off on Ware, even with Ellis on the other side. And Spencer is still a work in progress.

If Dallas can pull a trade (future draft picks) for either Julius Peppers, or even Karlos Dansby, then the Detroit trade makes more sense. However, even w/out this trade in place, the Cowboys need another young proven productive WR like Williams, this season. It is no. 6 or bust this year.

If the Cowboys trade Ellis, they need to go get another pass rusher, if not to push Spencer, then as a backup for either Ware or Spencer, in case of injury or just to give a guy a breather. There is no one currently on the roster who can do that. I would not risk the SB run on unproven guys like Rogers, Robertson or Walden.

Think of the best 3-4 teams that ever played, their is usually TWO potential HOFers from the LB corps. Ellis is not & never will be a HOFer. Ellis is not even as good as Jim Jeffcoat. And Jeffcoat had 5 double digit sack seasons (had 3 in his first 4 seasons) compared to Ellis' ONE his entire career (one in 10 seasons).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2156710 said:
Blah blah blah. Back it up or shut up chump.
Says the guy who's never been able to show any WRs since 2000 that have had a more productive first 4 years to his career than Roy Williams.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
peplaw06;2156699 said:
What the deuce are you talking about? BRAH?!?

I don't go around backing up a position when it doesn't need backing up. This is one such instance. Greg Ellis for Roy Williams (Det-WR) straight up? There is no backing that one... especially considering the depth we have at LB and the lack thereof at WR.

Backing up my position on this would be a waste of my time.... Brah.

BRAH!!! Roy Williams blows like the wind! We're gonna get ourselves one Anquan Boldin next year!!!! :lmao:

We've got one of the top two receivers in the game, count your blessings boys. What in the HE DOUBLE LL do you want!! :lmao:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2156711 said:
Oh no, I think I see things clearly! Who cares if they've tried? They won 3 SBs with exactly DICK at the WR position. They did so because they have a top-notch QB who is extremely accurate.

We gots one of those! As a result, we can focus on other areas of need, particularly since we have a guy like Owens. Yes, we'll eventually need to replace Owens, but not yet!

As another poster astutely pointed out, in the 90's we had Irvin and Novacek and Harper, who was not nearly as good without the Cowboys. And we had a strong running game, a dominant offensive line and a top-notch defense.

In this day and age, you need to count your blessings to have one of the top two receivers in the game, not worried because we don't have a top-notch receiver opposite him. Teams should be so lucky to have what we have.

Kinda went a little south on this one didn't ya? So, if we had the chance to get Bolding in exchange for Ellis and Henry, you wouldn't make that trade because we have TO and Romo, is that what I understand you to say?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2156719 said:
BRAH!!! Roy Williams blows like the wind! We're gonna get ourselves one Anquan Boldin next year!!!! :lmao:

We've got one of the top two receivers in the game, count your blessings boys. What in the HE DOUBLE LL do you want!! :lmao:
Two of the top 10, of course.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2156710 said:
Blah blah blah. Back it up or shut up chump.

I don't know of any imbecile who would turn down a Greg Ellis for Roy Williams trade.

That is so idiotic, I think you could give Matt Millen a frontal lobotomy and he would still laugh at the idea.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2156721 said:
Kinda went a little south on this one didn't ya? So, if we had the chance to get Bolding in exchange for Ellis and Henry, you wouldn't make that trade because we have TO and Romo, is that what I understand you to say?

No, just trying to keep things in perspective. Let's enjoy what we have, rather than worry about what we don't. We had Michael Irvin in the 90s, along with a bunch of other guys at the WR position. And one KICK *** defense and running game.

This team is starting to look strangely similar to those teams. But having Boldin would excite me very much!!

Back to the original point. Roy Williams ain't all that, Boldin is greatness and I don't care what the stats say. I look into their eyes and see the difference!