Completely a rumor, but...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2156716 said:
Says the guy who's never been able to show any WRs since 2000 that have had a more productive first 4 years to his career than Roy Williams.

photo01.jpg

Don Draper toasts this post.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2156599 said:
Ellis isn't exactly a sack machine. Plus, when you have D-Ware on the other side, teams will always put max protection where he is. Ellis benefited from having a player of Ware's caliber on the other side of the line.

Of course it is not a coincidence that he suddenly becomes "elite" with a truly elite player playing across from him.

Put Greg Ellis on a regular four man line with a player like DeWayne White on the other side, he would be embarassingly pathetic.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2156710 said:
Blah blah blah. Back it up or shut up chump.

theogt;2156716 said:
Says the guy who's never been able to show any WRs since 2000 that have had a more productive first 4 years to his career than Roy Williams.

:lmao:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander;2156744 said:
Of course it is not a coincidence that he suddenly becomes "elite" with a truly elite player playing across from him.

Put Greg Ellis on a regular four man line with a player like DeWayne White on the other side, he would be embarassingly pathetic.
I get the point, but honestly I couldn't care less why Greg is productive, as long as he's productive. I'd hate to not have the guy, but value is where it's at, and having Roy Williams for 10 years is much more valuable than having Greg for 2-4 years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2156740 said:
No, just trying to keep things in perspective. Let's enjoy what we have, rather than worry about what we don't. We had Michael Irvin in the 90s, along with a bunch of other guys at the WR position. And one KICK *** defense and running game.

This team is starting to look strangely similar to those teams. But having Boldin would excite me very much!!

Back to the original point. Roy Williams ain't all that, Boldin is greatness and I don't care what the stats say. I look into their eyes and see the difference!

And when Irvin went down, that team went down for the count. I agree. It is interesting how simular these two teams are developing.

2233, are you certain that your looking into the respective players eyes (not sure how that's being done but no matter) or are you looking at Williams and seeing a LongHorn? In the end, aquiring Boldin next year or any top WR is risky at best. There is no guarantee that will happen. If the possability of aquiring Williams or Boldin or any top rated WR were available for the price of Henry and Ellis, I would take it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2156708 said:
Again show me a list that says that. And Im not talking about some random FF garbage either.

What would placate you?

PFW's list has him at #17 (slightly below the #15 I mentioned).

But I'm sure that list is baseless too.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Alexander;2156744 said:

Ellis has never been embarrassingly pathetic, but you are darn right that he becomes more productive with a player of the caliber of Ware playing on the other side.

Alexander

Reaction score
theogt;2156761 said:
I get the point, but honestly I couldn't care less why Greg is productive, as long as he's productive. I'd hate to not have the guy, but value is where it's at, and having Roy Williams for 10 years is much more valuable than having Greg for 2-4 years.

It really is irrelevant what his value is to us. When you trade a player, his value has to be self-evident and have at least some relation to the team he might be traded to.

I don't care how valuable pass rushers are, Greg Ellis will never be traded for a younger player on the rise like Roy Williams.

It is insulting to even read something that idiotic.

Alexander

Reaction score
joseephuss;2156781 said:
Ellis has never been embarrassingly pathetic, but you are darn right that he becomes more productive with a player of the caliber of Ware playing on the other side.

At his age right now, he could not muster the eight sacks he did a few years ago in his prime. He would be pathetic. Playing 3-4 LB and having Ware with him has made his career. That is obvious. Except for those who wouldn't trade him right now straight for one of the best young receivers in football.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Alexander;2156734 said:
I don't know of any imbecile who would turn down a Greg Ellis for Roy Williams trade.

That is so idiotic, I think you could give Matt Millen a frontal lobotomy and he would still laugh at the idea.

Blah blah blah.

If it was as simple as RW versus Ellis without contract consideration and a notion of leverage you would have a point.

Kerney makes $7mil a year.

Allen makes $11 mil per year

Umenyiora makes $7 mil per year.

Kampman makes $5 mil per year

Vanden Bosch makes $5 mil per year

Taylor maes $8 mil per year

Ellis has 2 years left at $3 million. that is an absolute steal.

Youre trading for one year of RW at $ 6mil this year and hes asking for $10 mil in the future. Then you consider that everyone and his dog knows that they either need to franchise him or hes leaving and a potential hold out and it becomes even dumber.

Like i said no concept of relative value.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander;2156784 said:
It really is irrelevant what his value is to us. When you trade a player, his value has to be self-evident and have at least some relation to the team he might be traded to.

I don't care how valuable pass rushers are, Greg Ellis will never be traded for a younger player on the rise like Roy Williams.

I agree that this trade will never happen. However, the discussion of such a far fetched and outlandish rumor does pass the time.

Carry on.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Alexander;2156784 said:

I doubt it, too. Then again I think about Matt Millen and some of the moves he has made and that after this year Roy will be a free agent. Nope, still doesn't seem too likely.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2156766 said:
And when Irvin went down, that team went down for the count. I agree. It is interesting how simular these two teams are developing.

2233, are you certain that your looking into the respective players eyes (not sure how that's being done but no matter) or are you looking at Williams and seeing a LongHorn? In the end, aquiring Boldin next year or any top WR is risky at best. There is no guarantee that will happen. If the possability of aquiring Williams or Boldin or any top rated WR were available for the price of Henry and Ellis, I would take it.

Not sure, but he's got the stink of a Longhorn who got worked by the Sooners and a Detroit Lion who got worked by everyone. Oh, and he doesn't tip pizza delivery guys.

In all seriousness, I don't like his playing style. As as I said many moons ago, he's got that oafish, lumbering stride like a Matt Jones. If we rely on this guy eventually becoming our #1, I think we're doomed. Doomed, I tell you.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Is there actually a debate going on in this thread about trading Ellis for Roy Williams? Ellis has maybe 2 years left.

Roy Williams, though injury prone, is just entering the prime of his career and is already one of the top WRs in the NFL.

Anthony Spencer will do more than make up for Ellis if he leaves.

This is an absoolute no brain trade if proposed.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
joseephuss;2156790 said:
I doubt it, too. Then again I think about Matt Millen and some of the moves he has made and that after this year Roy will be a free agent. Nope, still doesn't seem too likely.

Is he about to become a free agent? Then Millen definitely won't do it, because it would make too much sense.

Think about it -- the Lions have about a 1 in 5000 chance of winning the SB this year, so why on earth would you piss away the last year of trade value you can get from RW?

Parcells recognizes things like this -- that's why he was so hell bent on getting rid of Taylor. He is worthless to a team that is not going anywhere anyways...unless you can get future picks for the guy when your team might be ready to get better.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt;2156716 said:

Reggie Wayne Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards after this year, Colston after 2 years is killing him in the progression, Boldin, Andre johnson, Plaxico Burress, so on and so forth.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2156774 said:
What would placate you?

PFW's list has him at #17 (slightly below the #15 I mentioned).

But I'm sure that list is baseless too.

Ahh whoops. You said it was a concensus that he was top 10 or 15......

Like i said overrated.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2156791 said:
Not sure, but he's got the stink of a Longhorn who got worked by the Sooners and a Detroit Lion who got worked by everyone. Oh, and he doesn't tip pizza delivery guys.

In all seriousness, I don't like his playing style. As as I said many moons ago, he's got that oafish, lumbering stride like a Matt Jones. If we rely on this guy eventually becoming our #1, I think we're doomed. Doomed, I tell you.

There is nothing that I can see to support that position. However, you are certainly entitled you your opinion, bias as it may be.

Ellis and Henry for any top rated receiver in the NFL with no legal, charachter or substance issues in the NFL is a no brainer IMO.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2156832 said:
There is nothing that I can see to support that position. However, you are certainly entitled you your opinion, bias as it may be.

Ellis and Henry for any top rated receiver in the NFL with no legal, charachter or substance issues in the NFL is a no brainer IMO.

No character issues? Didn't I just say he doesn't tip pizza delivery guys?

That my friend, is a clear warning sign! :lmao2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think there is any question that he is a top 15 WR in the NFL. I mean, I'm not certain how that can be argued. I can't produce a list that says every GM in the NFL ranks him as top 15 but then again, if I had to produce a list that said DeMarcus Ware was a top 15 OLB in the league, according to other GMs, I could not produce that either. Still, there is no doubt in my mind that he would be.