News: Cooper: "I love the play calls"

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
What intrigued me enough to start this thread is Cooper saying what he said about last season. Many critics of Linehan used Cooper saying he and Dak changed a play to a go instead of a comeback as evidence that Scott's playcalling sucked. Here's that same guy saying he liked the playcalling last year because it allowed him to, "really display [his] skillset."
He's in a contract year. I don't expect him to say something nasty and be labeled as a troublemaker. Of course he's going to be nice. Its just the type of guy he is anyway. Nice and polite.

But him and Dak saying they can talk to Moore relate to Moore means a lot. So if guys start sitting on routes they can go to him and say we need to change this up, he'll listen. Which also makes it seem as if Linehan was stubborn. Wouldn't listen.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
He said more-

"I even loved the offense last year." What? Why?

"I think it gives me the opportunity to really display my skillset, the plays that we run." But I'm told the playcalling was horrible.

So what's different? "It's not a whole lot different. We're really running the same plays but we're disguising them... Basically running them out of different formations and using shift and motions to confuse the defense."

-Source

Will this be enough? What say you?

My take- the simplicity of the game is further reinforced. Teams pretty much operate off the same principles across the board. Presnap reads and defender alignments/techniques determine where the ball goes 90% of the time. I've never been one to harp on playcalling. Execution has and will always be the most important component. It's nice to try to confuse the defense. But most defenses operate off of simple principles, too.

Hopefully this new presnap stuff gives an edge, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Especially if the players aren't executing and on the same page.
So we go from yay to hmmph in a matter of roughly 3 paragraphs.

Haimerej

Reaction score
He's in a contract year. I don't expect him to say something nasty and be labeled as a troublemaker. Of course he's going to be nice. Its just the type of guy he is anyway. Nice and polite.

But him and Dak saying they can talk to Moore relate to Moore means a lot. So if guys start sitting on routes they can go to him and say we need to change this up, he'll listen. Which also makes it seem as if Linehan was stubborn. Wouldn't listen.

I didn't see it so much as a compare/contrast statement. He was asked about Kellen specifically. I actually took the closer in age thing as meaning Kellen can relate better. I don't see how it was a slight on Linehan moreso than simply an endorsement of Kellen.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The biggest thing for me with regard to the offense is that it has to start off faster and not let games get too close and/or have to pull off last minute wins.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The biggest thing for me with regard to the offense is that it has to start off faster and not let games get too close and/or have to pull off last minute wins.

Red zone will be the key for me. As I said earlier, I recently rewatched last year. I think it was the IND game where they put up a graphic showing DAL had allowed the fewest first quarter points in the league to that point. It was like 14, IIRC.

A lot of that was due to good defense but also the offensive philosophy of chewing clock. They started off well in a lot of games driving down the field but getting touchdowns instead of field goals was the biggest issue.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I didn't see it so much as a compare/contrast statement. He was asked about Kellen specifically. I actually took the closer in age thing as meaning Kellen can relate better. I don't see how it was a slight on Linehan moreso than simply an endorsement of Kellen.
My bad. I'm just adding two quotes from two different interviews in my head. In an earlier interview Dak said, he likes Moore, he can relate to Moore and Moore listens. So when Cooper comes in and says something very similar to Dak's my mind just added those two things together. Dak said Moore listens. But it is similar praise coming from both guys about Moore.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He said more-

"I think it gives me the opportunity to really display my skillset, the plays that we run." But I'm told the playcalling was horrible.

So what's different? "It's not a whole lot different. We're really running the same plays but we're disguising them... Basically running them out of different formations and using shift and motions to confuse the defense."

-Source

My take- the simplicity of the game is further reinforced. Teams pretty much operate off the same principles across the board. Presnap reads and defender alignments/techniques determine where the ball goes 90% of the time. I've never been one to harp on playcalling. Execution has and will always be the most important component. It's nice to try to confuse the defense. But most defenses operate off of simple principles, too.

Hopefully this new presnap stuff gives an edge, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Especially if the players aren't executing and on the same page.
Okay, so that's both he and Prescott saying it's the same plays, but disguised. Does that mean they're actually gonna throw in some new plays?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hope so. I haven't been a cheerleader for Dak but I recently rewatched last season and have to admit he seemed to improve as it progressed. He appeared to get through reads quicker and be more decisive towards the end of the year.
Agreed. I'll even go so far as to say he was the least of the problem against the Rams.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What intrigued me enough to start this thread is Cooper saying what he said about last season. Many critics of Linehan used Cooper saying he and Dak changed a play to a go instead of a comeback as evidence that Scott's playcalling sucked. Here's that same guy saying he liked the playcalling last year because it allowed him to, "really display [his] skillset."
That's the same thing that struck me ,when I read this. "Wait, weren't people saying Cooper thought the play calling sucked last year, because he and Dak went long on one play, rather than do another stop route?"

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Change the offense drastically absolutely not disguise it absolutely yes . The entire league runs the same plays. It's how well you disguise it that's it
Except pick plays. Some teams play and get away with a lot more of those.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Dressing it up will help but if the route concepts stay the same, it will get figured out eventually. You can dress up a pig but its still a pig.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He said more-

-Source

I just wrote about this in the Witten thread. We'll see if shifts and motion throw defenses off enough to make Garrett's scheme work better.