News: Cooper: "I love the play calls"

cern

Reaction score
I think things will change more than anyone's admitting. Landry's multiple set offense got figured out. Moore's will too if all he does is change looks. If we can't create mismatches with our personnel, all is lost. It will be different. Markedly so.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I just wrote about this in the Witten thread. We'll see if shifts and motion throw defenses off enough to make Garrett's scheme work better.

Honestly I think it's a little overblown. It's why I referenced defenses operating off of principles, too. Perhaps it'll be less predictable so we see less anticipation on the defensive side, but most defenses are assignment based. That's why the great defenses can shut down a multitude of offenses. As long as they're assignment sound it doesn't matter much what play is being run. Football has always been about beating the man in front of you.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I think things will change more than anyone's admitting. Landry's multiple set offense got figured out. Moore's will too if all he does is change looks. If we can't create mismatches with our personnel, all is lost. It will be different. Markedly so.

I think it would be foolish to do an overhaul going into Dak's 4th season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Honestly I think it's a little overblown. It's why I referenced defenses operating off of principles, too. Perhaps it'll be less predictable so we see less anticipation on the defensive side, but most defenses are assignment based. That's why the great defenses can shut down a multitude of offenses. As long as they're assignment sound it doesn't matter much what play is being run. Football has always been about beating the man in front of you.

Although you have to beat the man in front of you, you also can create advantages for your team that make that easier to do. If my player isn't better than your player he's probably going to lose, so you have to adjust for weaknesses. It's kind of like Chaz Green in the Atlanta game (an easy example to see). Green simply could not beat his man, and Dallas did nothing to help remedy that.

Garrett has shown that he wants to emulate the 1990s teams that he was a part of, where teams knew what we were running but just couldn't stop it. That's a difficult method to use in the salary cap age because you can't build and maintain that kind of team.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Was it considered a crappy offense when 9 was there? Please be honest
I would say yes, mostly it was when romo extended plays and players ad-libbed that they had success.
The 2014 offense, where scott stuck with the run and murray got it done, was the only good year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Although you have to beat the man in front of you, you also can create advantages for your team that make that easier to do. If my player isn't better than your player he's probably going to lose, so you have to adjust for weaknesses. It's kind of like Chaz Green in the Atlanta game (an easy example to see). Green simply could not beat his man, and Dallas did nothing to help remedy that.

Garrett has shown that he wants to emulate the 1990s teams that he was a part of, where teams knew what we were running but just couldn't stop it. That's a difficult method to use in the salary cap age because you can't build and maintain that kind of team.
yeah that game and in regards to chad was the dumbest coaching I have ever seen.
Fans at home were screaming give him some help!! Rb TE, something, but the "6 million dollar man" a new nickname for JG lol
Did not think chad needed any help till after the game lol.

Haimerej

Reaction score

I get your point, but there's only so much you can accomplish with different looks and motion. Motion is generally used to determine if the defense is playing zone vs man or creating a mismatch, i.e. a RB splitting out and taking a LB with him. Different looks can help by getting WRs off the LOS against press coverage, but beyond those types of things I don't see this as amounting to much. It's typical offseason hype geared to satiate fans who want changes.

As I said to cern, I think it would be foolish to attempt a real overhaul with Dak entering his 4th year.

cern

Reaction score
I think it would be foolish to do an overhaul going into Dak's 4th season.
Not a complete overhaul. But far more than last year. I also think kitna in the booth will his thoughts to Moore who will send in plays much quicker than before. Won't give defenses time to make changes.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
"It's not a whole lot different. We're really running the same plays but we're disguising them... Basically running them out of different formations and using shift and motions to confuse the defense."
9 years of JG and he never thought to do this? and he is still HC??
It sounds good, but it requires more effort to execute the plays, and a greater chance of penalty's if they make mistakes.
I remember the cowboys trying to run the rub routes and they were awful at it, got penalized more times than it worked,
so they had to quit.
So execution will be a factor.
But it all makes the first 5 games or so interesting to watch.

one thing is for sure, in game one, they have to do better than the 6 points they put up in game one last season.
They should put up 30 or more on the giants if this works.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
He said more-

"I even loved the offense last year." What? Why?

"I think it gives me the opportunity to really display my skillset, the plays that we run." But I'm told the playcalling was horrible.

So what's different? "It's not a whole lot different. We're really running the same plays but we're disguising them... Basically running them out of different formations and using shift and motions to confuse the defense."

-Source

Will this be enough? What say you?

My take- the simplicity of the game is further reinforced. Teams pretty much operate off the same principles across the board. Presnap reads and defender alignments/techniques determine where the ball goes 90% of the time. I've never been one to harp on playcalling. Execution has and will always be the most important component. It's nice to try to confuse the defense. But most defenses operate off of simple principles, too.

Hopefully this new presnap stuff gives an edge, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Especially if the players aren't executing and on the same page.

This is stupid, why would cooper even come out and show our hand?

Smoke & mirrors.

The offense will be different, you can bet that.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I didn’t think we’d drastically change the offense. We did well when cooper arrived. It’s just tweaking things. Disguising plays will help a ton

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe I am just simpleminded but there was nothing wrong with the plays, there wasn't enough surprise element to them. Think Moore is going to call nothing but gadget plays? There is very little difference between the offensive plays called in the NFL and very few different pass routes, just variations of the standard ones.

The objective is to get the favorable matchup and execute the play. Whether Dak is the guy to do that is a moot point as he will be the guy executing that and anything that helps him get some more time in the pocket is a good thing.

The magic back in the 90's wasn't Aikman, Emmitt or Turner, it was the combination and understanding of the offense. That allowed for better execution. And this offense is very similar to that one, only with a more mobile QB.

Ya know if the Dakaters would back off a little until they've actually seen Moore and Prescott in action maybe some wouldn't feel the need for threads to defend the QB. It seems that every positive thread someone puts up just has to have holes shot through it.

And taking shots at players and coaches singing the praises of Moore or Prescott is nothing more than wanting to ***** and moan about something. This negative forward gets a little ridiculous considering it wasn't the QB that cost the team those playoff games. Some not only act like they want him to fail but just can't wait for that.

What's wrong with wait and see? We will all know soon enough how this is going to unfold once the real season is underway. Man, some posters dig in and then have to try and defend their position and we're not moving the needle either way until September.

Haimerej

Reaction score
This is stupid, why would cooper even come out and show our hand?

Smoke & mirrors.

The offense will be different, you can bet that.

How is he showing their hand? It's pretty generic and typical of any player talking about what a new coordinator brings.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
How is he showing their hand? It's pretty generic and typical of any player talking about what a new coordinator brings.
As long as dude ain't gifting DC's with comments like:
We gots all new plays yo! Just wait til we get out there! Triples every other play... motion on everything... rubs galore!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I'm sure he was thrilled with the play calling and his usage, especially considering the situation he had just left with the Raiders.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Maybe I am just simpleminded but there was nothing wrong with the plays, there wasn't enough surprise element to them. Think Moore is going to call nothing but gadget plays? There is very little difference between the offensive plays called in the NFL and very few different pass routes, just variations of the standard ones.

Ed Zachary.

The objective is to get the favorable matchup and execute the play. Whether Dak is the guy to do that is a moot point as he will be the guy executing that and anything that helps him get some more time in the pocket is a good thing.

The magic back in the 90's wasn't Aikman, Emmitt or Turner, it was the combination and understanding of the offense. That allowed for better execution. And this offense is very similar to that one, only with a more mobile QB.

They were extremely talented, too.

Ya know if the Dakaters would back off a little until they've actually seen Moore and Prescott in action maybe some wouldn't feel the need for threads to defend the QB. It seems that every positive thread someone puts up just has to have holes shot through it.

And taking shots at players and coaches singing the praises of Moore or Prescott is nothing more than wanting to ***** and moan about something. This negative forward gets a little ridiculous considering it wasn't the QB that cost the team those playoff games. Some not only act like they want him to fail but just can't wait for that.

What's wrong with wait and see? We will all know soon enough how this is going to unfold once the real season is underway. Man, some posters dig in and then have to try and defend their position and we're not moving the needle either way until September.

Dak will be the biggest factor in the success or failure of this offense, which is true of most QBs. Hopefully he continues to build on what he was doing near the end of last season.