Cooper waiting for Julio Jones deal?

superonyx

Reaction score
Why are you taking this to heart? What is wrong with you?
Hmm..since you need to assume things to avoid debating actual points. I’ll play along.

Well first of all I had some blood work done a few months ago and in spite of having 3 kids and a healthy sex drive I find out that 30 years of being a vegetarian has contributed to low iron levels and in turn reduced thyroid function and low T. So now I have a prescription for testosterone injections and I have since gained 20 pounds of lean muscles at the gym while shedding body fat. My wife can’t keep up. Luckily my hemocrit levels have not risen too much so I don’t have to donate blood yet.

What’s wrong with you?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hmm..since you need to assume things to avoid debating actual points. I’ll play along.

Well first of all I had some blood work done a few months ago and in spite of having 3 kids and a healthy sex drive I find out that 30 years of being a vegetarian has contributed to low iron levels and in turn reduced thyroid function and low T. So now I have a prescription for testosterone injections and I have since gained 20 pounds of lean muscles at the gym while shedding body fat. My wife can’t keep up. Luckily my hemocrit levels have not risen too much so I don’t have to donate blood yet.

What’s wrong with you?
Everything is going to be alright man just pray on it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Quarterback is much different. If Dak gets 30 million Brees would get 35-40. The inflation isn’t because of Dak it’s because of the position. Dak has every right to say he should get more than Jimmy and Kirk.
And Stephen and Jerry have every right to say "We are strapped for money. Once we go deep into the playoffs, then comes the Brady-Brees money. For the moment, accept Dak money."
An owner who allows himself to be held hostage by the QB market is cap-challenged and marginally a weak lemming.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I wonder though if he has no interceptions next year what type of deal is he looking at.
He got caught more than once last year sleeping on the job. I wonder if teams went after him more last year if he would be ranked as high as he was.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I doubt he is looking for Julio money, but it is smart to wait for Julio to reset the market before signing your deal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And Stephen and Jerry have every right to say "We are strapped for money. Once we go deep into the playoffs, then comes the Brady-Brees money. For the moment, accept Dak money."
An owner who allows himself to be held hostage by the QB market is cap-challenged and marginally a weak lemming.
Lol every team is gonna be held hostage. You guys are acting like this is new. The higher the salary cap goes the bigger the qb market is. No one is letting a young quarterback go. Just not happening. It’s the one position you have no choice but to be held hostage.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Based on that logic, Zeke, Cooper, Dak, Jaylon and then LVE should all be paid the highest in the league. It doesn’t work like that either. I think Solder was the highest paid LT but the Giants had the money and were dumb enough to pay him that much. The Cowboys won’t have the money to pay all their better players the most money for that position.

Don’t get me wrong, we need Cooper but he isn’t on the same level as JJ and if JJ gets the biggest contract for a receiver and Cooper wants something equivalent then that’s an issue IMO. Like the article states, Cooper has the upper hand right now.
He has the upper hand because we gave a #1 draft pick for him and he saw how the offense looked without him. We should have already signed him.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I say, we should have kept that number one, and gave Noah Brown a chance. Then we wouldn't be in this mess. --JK.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm not saying don’t sign him, maybe wait a year and see how he does this year and/or use the franchise tag on him the following year.

It's a thought. People haven't been talking about franchising Cooper. But if everyone else is signed, it's an option.

I'd actually like to sign him. At least as far as I would invest in a top WR, Cooper is a good deal. But I expect us to get screwed on the contract.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lol every team is gonna be held hostage. You guys are acting like this is new. The higher the salary cap goes the bigger the qb market is. No one is letting a young quarterback go. Just not happening. It’s the one position you have no choice but to be held hostage.
You are no GM material, mate. But good luck with Dak/Amari/Zeke contracts. It shall be interesting, old fellow!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We traded a first round pick for him we have to sign him. Just be thankful that he showed signs of possibly living up to the price we paid.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He got caught more than once last year sleeping on the job. I wonder if teams went after him more last year if he would be ranked as high as he was.

He's fortunate that Pro Bowl voting happens as early as it does (for whatever reason it does), because based on how he finished the year and having no interceptions, he wouldn't have made that Pro Bowl.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has the upper hand because we gave a #1 draft pick for him and he saw how the offense looked without him. We should have already signed him.

He's, Cooper's leverage grows by the minute, and he and his agent know it. They knew the day the Cowboys traded for him that they could ask for whatever they wanted and Dallas would essentially be forced to pay it. It's not hard to see.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I would be concerned about resigning our own if we were also signing the big name FA players from other teams with non-friendly team deals and also matching players like Hitchens once they hit the market. Throw in a Beasley 20 mil resign and WHAM BAM SLAM we are back to square uno cap hell.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Oh I saw that thread full of drama queens.

Zeke being resigned is a stone cold lock. Zero chance he isn’t.
You don’t use the 4th pick in the draft on a RB, have him play like the best running back every season since and just let a generational player walk away. There is zero logic or reality behind this crazy thinking.

Sorry if my approach isn’t warm and fuzzy but this is the reality.

Just like the drama queens crying all day over Dak getting resigned.

Dak and Zeke will be here for the foreseeable future folks. They will both be paid very handsomely.
No amount of crying will change it. Thems the facts.

Agree there is no reality to this scenario...not with Jerry pulling the strings. But logic? There’s plenty of logic in taking such an option. Not necessarily in ‘letting him walk’...but in knowing you’ve got his best years, capitalizing on your asset and trading him during his last ‘prime’ year and get some value in return. Even if he another year or two of prime left for another team it’s not an illogical move.

And I do believe he is the best back in the game right now, but I’d stop short of calling him a ‘generational’ talent. There will be other Zekes...and I don’t think we’ll have to wait until our kids have kids of their own to see one.

aria

Reaction score
It's a thought. People haven't been talking about franchising Cooper. But if everyone else is signed, it's an option.

I'd actually like to sign him. At least as far as I would invest in a top WR, Cooper is a good deal. But I expect us to get screwed on the contract.
I’d like to sign him as well but would be very cautious of throwing top receiver money at him based on half a season. This team has a history of over paying players which is what caused us to get in salary cap trouble in the first place. I don’t buy the “that’s what everyone does” or “that’s the way it is” excuse.

I’m also leery of players falling off after they get big contracts and add in a guy who has been questioned on his desire/dedication/love of the game and it could be a disaster. So far I like Coop and hope we keep him but I’d rather see another year from him before signing him to top receiver money.

aria

Reaction score
We traded a first round pick for him we have to sign him. Just be thankful that he showed signs of possibly living up to the price we paid.
That’s fine but we don’t “have to sign him” for top receiver money after playing for half a season with us. He still has another year, plus the franchise tag option, meaning we could wait two more years or at least a year which I would feel better about.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think they resign him to 16 million this off season. If he goes off for 1600 and 10-13 tds his price would go way up. Hopefully gets done soon