Cooper/Warmack

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RS12;5005639 said:
Joe Person ‏@josephperson
The irony of UNC G Jonathan Cooper wanting to gain weight? He was too big to qualify for Pop Warner, was waterboy for his brother's team.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

:laugh2:

Joe Everett ‏@RookieDraft
#UNC OG Jonathan Cooper on his toughest competition during his career; "#Clemson DT Jarvis Jenkins was definitely one of the toughest."

Will Brinson ‏@willbrinson
Cooper asked if a guard worth a top five pick in the draft? "I dare say so."

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Cooper said his goal is 35 reps of 225 on the bench

Jonathan Cooper says he wants to "level out at 312, 315 [pounds]" and "maintain his speed and foot quickness"

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Cooper: "I'm a combination of power and athleticism...I'm comfortable with anything. I'm versatile to handle either."

Jon Dove ‏@Jon_Dove42
Cooper sounds like a well spoken dude. only helps his already high draft stock. love how he's embracing possible center move

Cooper asked about Duke v UNC: "I wanted academics, athletics and the social aspect & I didn't know if Duke could provide me all of those."

#UNC OG Jonathan Cooper on Chance Warmack; "I'm just glad to have had a chance to meet him just to finally realize that he is human."
Expand

Mario ‏@mario_clp
Smart. RT @josephperson: Besides eating, Cooper says he's been working on snapping to show teams he can play guard or center.

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm
North Carolina OG Jonathan Cooper is quite engaging. Best quick guard in draft? Maybe. pic.twitter.com/SE1NE1kyLb
View photo Reply Retweet Favorite More

Matt Mosley ‏@mattmosley
RT @LesBowen: UNC guard Jonathan Cooper bulked up to 312 for combine. He's a top prospect. http://******/XnSez8 -- Cowboys like this guy.

#UMC OG Jonathan Cooper; "We actually had a few gap schemes + we ran power when I got to NC. I can run anything." http://twitpic.com/c5okdz

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus
Cooper comfortable playing in zone or gap scheme. Said he loves to pull and play in space. Said he has met with several teams.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus
Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina. Said he has played center in 2010. He weighs 312. pic.twitter.com/OZWIDBWTek

I'm starting to worry that he won't be available at #18.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Fluker will be a better G than both of those guys, and could also play tackle. 36 3/4 arms is ridiculous. Those are longer arms than Tyron Smith and Ryan Clady

Macnalty

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;5005731 said:
Fluker will be a better G than both of those guys, and could also play tackle. 36 3/4 arms is ridiculous. Those are longer arms than Tyron Smith and Ryan Clady

Not sure about better, I do believe Fluker will be drafted in the first rd for RT.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;5005731 said:

Not in a Zone Blocking Scheme. It does not matter how much power an OL has if he can't get to the block. Regardless of scheme, Guards have to make blocks in space.

jnday

Reaction score
If Dallas picks Cooper, I hope it is for the center position. That way if he can't maintain his current weight, it won't hurt him as much. I see him much like Tyron. Tyron has been able to play around 307 lbs, but he had trouble with the bull-rush this year. I don't put alotta stock in combine weight anyway.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
xwalker;5005754 said:
Not in a Zone Blocking Scheme. It does not matter how much power an OL has if he can't get to the block. Regardless of scheme, Guards have to make blocks in space.

You mean guys like Mo Collins, Frank Middleton and Langston Walker playing under Callahan with the Raiders? Yeah a bunch of svelte ballerinas, those guys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;5005829 said:
You mean guys like Mo Collins, Frank Middleton and Langston Walker playing under Callahan with the Raiders? Yeah a bunch of svelte ballerinas, those guys.

If Fluker can beat Langston Walker's 5.26 forty, I'll retract my statement.

JerryFan

Reaction score
JackWagon;5005403 said:
Not flashy enough for JJ Risen ... guards, d lineman ... no way ... Im betting big JJ picks a RB at 18.

I'll take that bet. How about a 25 dollar donation to CowboysZone?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
visionary;5005416 said:
i think we will sign a starter at either OG or DT in FA

we will go for the other position with our first round pick

since impact DTs are likely to cost more in FA than a OG, i am thinking we sign a potential starter at OG, and then go DT in round 1 and OL (OG/OC/OT) in round 2

unless, of course, there is overwhelming value in that round ie if warmack or cooper are on the board and star/richardson/floyd are gone

bottom line is that we can get starters on DL and OL in rounds 1 and 2 this year

JMO

We signed two starting guards last offseason. Just because you sign a guy that starts doesn't mean you've solved the problem. We can't just keep doing the same things over and over, it's time to actually try to solve the position so we can focus on other things.

Aren't you guys tired of having the same position needs every offseason?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
xwalker said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by InmanRoshi

If Fluker can beat Langston Walker's 5.26 forty, I'll retract my statement.

40 times are irrelevant for OL. When will you ever see a tackle or guard run straight ahead for 40 yards coming out of a sprinters stance, running unimpeded?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack Bauer;5005887 said:
40 times are irrelevant for OL. When will you ever see a tackle or guard run straight ahead for 40 yards coming out of a sprinters stance, running unimpeded?
Sorry, but that response is tiresome.

The forty is like identifying a car by it's color. It is a general indicator. If you want more detail you look at other measureables like the 10-yard, 3-cone, short shuttle, vert, broad-jump, etc.. With a car you would look at the model, year etc. Just because the color of the car does not give as much detail as the model/year etc.., it does not make it an unusable indicator.

The forty time is a general indicator of the quickness needed to play. In OLinemen, the exact number is not as important as it is with other positions. A 5.1 vs 5.2 is not a big deal; however, a 4.9 vs 5.5 is significant. Olinemen that play with quickness don't run 5.5 forties and Olinemen that play with lead feet don't run 4.9 forties.

I could say that I doubt that Fluker can beat any of Walker's measureables. It could be 10-yard, 3-cone, short shuttle, vert, broad-jump, etc..

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
xwalker;5005899 said:
Sorry, but that response is tiresome.

And completely true.

I take it you've never actually played football?

burmafrd

Reaction score
the 10 yard time for a OL is much more important then the 40

visionary

Reaction score
TheCount;5005883 said:
We signed two starting guards last offseason. Just because you sign a guy that starts doesn't mean you've solved the problem. We can't just keep doing the same things over and over, it's time to actually try to solve the position so we can focus on other things.

Aren't you guys tired of having the same position needs every offseason?

i know you dont think either of those 2 were really starters

i mean, sign a real OG who will start

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack Bauer;5005916 said:
And completely true.

I take it you've never actually played football?

Another tiresome response.

Actually, I had a scholarship offer from a small college to play football, but took an academic scholarship from a big school instead.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Rack here. For an OL, 10 and 5 yard times are much more indicative. 3Cone, Shuttle, Broad and High show explosion.

40 for an OL is much less important to me then 5, 10 or 20.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;5006217 said:
Coopers arms are only 33. Costa part deux

No, 33" is good for an OG or OC. Costa was 30".

Here are some arm lengths from the 2012 draft:
OG 32-1/2 Ben Jones
OG 32-1/2 Josh LeRibeus
OG 32-5/8 Brandon Brooks
OG 32-3/4 David DeCastro
OG 32-3/4 Kevin Zeitler
OC 33 Peter Konz
OG 33 Amini Silatolu
OG 33-1/2 Jeff Allen

OT 33-1/2 Mitchell Schwartz
OT 33-1/4 Riley Reiff
OT 34 Mike Adams
OT 34-1/2 Matt Kalil
OT 34-1/8 Jonathan Martin

RS12

Reaction score
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Jonathan Cooper (UNC) 35 on the bench.

So much for the Cooper strength questions.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Im confused as to how people think two guards are going in the top 17... Even though the most bestestist guard prospect ever went 24th last year.